• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You also got a nice little melt pot country going on. I hope it doesn't fall apart.

You also got a nice little melt pot country going on. I hope it doesn't fall apart.
Yeah, it was quite the mix.

Why couldn't have married a full blood Saxon noble women? :rolleyes:
So none of the provinces are Saxon? Shame.
My court had been flooded with pagans.

I would like to thank Teep for nominating this AAR to the AAR Choice Awards!

As a reward, I will try to update tonight if I can get away from Oblivion for a few minutes...

Edit: Sorry, I wrote most of it, but my friends decided to have a movie night.

Last edited:
Homelands
Chapter Seven: King and Conqueror
Part 4

Prelude:
After the crowning of Aethelweard and the wedding of his son, the Kingdom of Prussia turned its attention northward. The tribe of Livonia was the first target to be attacked by Prussia. They were weak from years of war and their recent bout of independence from Estonia. Aethelweard planned to make Livonia a trial for his son. Eadbert’s inexperience as a military commander made a short war long. But it would forge a young boy into a man and eventual king.

May 3rd, 1108

“Father, I do not understand.”

“Eadbert, you shall take the garrison of Memelbuhr up to Livonia. Crush them, bring them into our Kingdom and I shall reward you. Of you cannot do this, I shall not let you inherit my Kingdom.”

“But father! This Kingdom is mine to rule!”

“No, I can choose my heir! If you cannot prove yourself I might allow Leofwine to inherit.”

Eadbert held back his anger; his rivalry with Leofwine was well known and oft exploited by his father. “I shall take the army north. I shall conquer Livonia, father.”

“Good, that is what I expected.”

“But father, I have never commanded an army before, especially never into battle.”

“The Marshal is going with you, he will be able to help, but he will not issue any orders. All orders must come from you.”

Eadbert paced around, anxiously. He knew he could not lead an army with his experience, but accepted the fact grudgingly. The Kingdom was worth too much to him just to be given up lightly. He was the oldest of eleven children, his brother Leofwine was less than a year younger than him. There were five boys, including Eadbert, competing for the throne and their father’s attention.

The unwilling general headed to meet with the Marshal, a Lett who spoke only broken Saxon. The Marshal was a brilliant man, with skilled honed fighting between tribes. He had laid out an elaborate map, meticulously drawn and figured by highly skilled cartographers. It showed the Baltic Sea in great detail, including cities and their fortifications.

“Come sit, young Prince Eadbert,” the marshal pulled out a chair for the Prince and began explaining the basics of the plan to him.

The war itself would last less than a year, but still took more than just the summer to complete. Eadbert had chosen to attack via a two-prong amphibious landing, seizing Osel and Livonia together. By splitting up the forces he made the war longer, but his initial was to catch the defenses at both locales by surprise.

When the war was over, Eadbert had proven himself a reliable commander. He was not ready to lead on his own, but with time he would be one of the best. More than anything, though, Eadbert had carved his victory only in blood. Early on, the Livs had offered a truce, but it was rejected with the severed head of the messenger. Many nobles, including Leofwine, had begun to fear the ascension of Eadbert, but for the time Aethelweard sat safely on the throne.

Map1108.jpg

The Baltic after the Livonian War, Prussia in Red, Teutonic Knights in Orange, Estonia in Green.

Now take Estonia.
A wise man would have sent all his sons to gain experience.

And remember to make a pre-emptive strike against Poland. :p

That horrible orange colour doesnt suit the the map.
Rid it of it

All things in due time, gentlemen. Chapter seven has one more part, and then it moves on to chapter eight.

I actually managed to work on the language a bit the other day, I have a table of pronouns and declinations of the such. Still tweaking them, however.

Edit: Also a nod to czam2007 for the nominations!

Last edited:
I actually managed to work on the language a bit the other day, I have a table of pronouns and declinations of the such. Still tweaking them, however.

Give us a blast
Translate these sentences

How are you
Im well, thank you
Paradox games rock
Let's have a pint of Guinness
add1_bia.gif

Last edited:
Give us a blast
Translate these sentences

How are you
Im well, thank you
Paradox games rock
Let's have a pint of Guinness
add1_bia.gif

I have pronouns finished, so here is the nomitive case:

Singular:
1st -eσ / es
2nd -τy / tu
3rd mas -ϯε / he
3rd fem -wιn / vin
4th - θy / thu

Plural:
1st - wε / ve
2nd - ԓy / ju
3rd mas - ϯιε / hie
3rd fem - wιw / viv
4th - γe / gæ

Last edited:
Does Eadbert have a martial education?

I'm interested to see how you'll deal with those dastardly Teutonic Knights, after rebuffing them so much in the past :eek:

He is some vocab to work on while I finish up some more stuff with the language, everything has been transliterated into Latin. Win points by guessing correctly. ;)

próshjá
polejá
sáshjá
normándjá
rósja
----
æs
we
tu
ju
vin
he
viv
hie
tháó

An actual update!

Homelands
Chapter Seven: King and Conqueror
Part 5

Prelude:
Eadbert’s attempt to lead the Prussians to victory in Livonia left Prussia looking weak in the face of her enemies. Aethelweard wanted to cover for this blunder so he and his marshals invaded the Tribe of Estonia in 1110. The Estonian Wars would last several months as the Estonians hard prepared for the war beforehand. However, the war was necessary in pushing Prussian supremacy beyond the Baltic coast. Estonia would eventually lead to an invasion of Finland, though it would also become a hot bed of noble rebellion for much of Prussia’s medieval history.

June 1st, 1111

Aethelweard sat with dignitaries from the surrounding realms. The recent annexation of Estonia threatened to throw the balance out of whack. The King of Poland was beginning to feel that Prussia might turn their attention to them in the coming years. The Teutonic Knights felt the same way. Meeting in Memelbuhr was King Aethelweard from Prussia, Grand Princes Alexander and Dmitri from Russia, King Wladislaw of Poland, Grand Master Martin of the Order, and King Valdemar of Sweden. Aethelweard and the Grand Princes had already agreed on a division of North Eastern Europe based on fair expansion, but this agreement frightened the Catholic West.

Map1111.jpg

Prussia in Eastern Europe: Russian Princes in Dark Blue, Sweden in Blue, Pagans in Peach, Cumans in pink

“King Aethelweard, your nation has waged constant war these last decades, both against pagan tribes and the Catholics within your country. We fear we might be next,” the Grand Master said. He sat wearing a simple monk’s robe with a wooden cross around his neck. Aethelweard knew it was a show, he tried to look like a poor monk, but Martin had been stealing from the alms given by the Holy Roman Emperor.

“You chose to take residence on land already put aside for Prussian expansion,” Grand Prince Dmitri of Novgorod said plainly.

“Maybe so, be are we not just like your father, Aethelweard? Leaving one land for a new one…”

“My father fled from injustice and war so his people could have a better life. You came to Riga seeking only gold and power,” Aethelweard said.

“The nobles of Poland also fear the aggression of Prussia; surely you cannot just wave off a Kingdom a hundred years old than your own.”

“Nor do we intend to, Wladislaw. But you too have been prompting retribution. Your invasion and annexation of Pinsk has not gone unnoticed. The Prince of Galich has also sent word of your bullying,” Alexander said. Poland’s soft underbelly was just north of Kiev and her army.

King Valdemar sat quietly, having no real interest in either side of the debate. Internal strife and an aggressive Norway had halted his own plans for expansion in the Baltic, and he’d rather see it in the hands of a stable nation that squabbling noble republics or corrupt military orders. He knew more than anything, silence was the key to his success here.

“What shall be done about the Order, then?” Wladislaw asked.

“What?! Nothing, we have taken Riga, it is ours!”

“Poland and Germany have already recognized Riga as the rightful territory of Prussia and the Leofricson dynasty,” Aethelweard said. Martin steamed inside, he glared at Aethelweard and the Prussian King laughed.

King Wladislaw sighed, “The Nobles of Poland have voted… unanimously… if it would mean peace, Poland shall recognize again Prussia’s claim on Riga.”

“Treacherous fiends!!” Martin shouted. “We shall not simply be kicked off our lands! Good day to you sirs,” the Grand Master said storming out of the castle.

“I can agree to such a thing,” Aethelweard said.

“Good, the nobles and I have been growing worried.”

“And of the Prince of Galich?” Alexander asked, forcibly.

“We should meet in Krakow, we can all discuss it there,” Wladislaw suggested.

“Until then,” Dmitri warned, “you better hope no issues arise in Galich, or it’ll mean war.”

End Chapter Seven

Great chapter again! Fun to see everyone pick on little TO :D