• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Interesting country choice. The hansa has always interested me, good luck on your way to trading domination

So, the next update will come tomorrow hopefully, i started colonizing Creek, and generally improved my economy quite a bit, unfortunately though we played only 12 years :/ so not much happened.

So here it is, sorry for the delay but i was a bit busy in these days and when i got time i was too tired to write an AAR

The first session was about colonization and... Colonization, pretty much that's it.

I left you while i was starting to explore the Canarias just to have them discovered and then go to explore the Azores which would have been then colonized, but i ran a few tests and i need to have naval tech 9 or 10 to have enough range, and that is simply too much, luckily Portugal agreed to swap

2011121700003.jpg

So i proceed to colonize the Canarias, i'm quite sure i'll have troubles with Spain for it (damned cores) but for now it serves its purpose of being an exploration base.

2011121700005.jpg

So i proceed to explore the ocean, i discovered in those tests that i need to follow the Azores-Bermuda line to prevent my ships from dying in the middle of the ocean.
Why does exploring sea regions take so long anyway? Columbus didn't go in circle while exploring, he went straight :/

2011121700006.jpg

Meanwhile, i'm sending colonists to quickly finish the colony, don't want anybody to steal it, also if finished it will keep Hannoverian culture forever

2011121700007.jpg

I'm researching naval tech, i want to get as much colonial range as i can so that i can colonize the caribbean ASAP, you can see that i'm continuing my exploration successfully
Also i have 1.0 inflation, really low compared to how much i had to mint to stay afloat, i'm happy of this result.

2011121700009.jpg

Meanwhile, in the HRE...

2011121700012.jpg

You can see that everybody was like "WTF", apparently the Bohemian heir who was in a regency died (sucks to be Bohemia) and the throne passed to the fearsome 3PM of Palatinate...
Then, my explorer reached the coast of Carolina! America, here i come!

2011121700015.jpg

My explorer found some Mayas, and he even made them sign a "Military access" treaty, by pretending it was a contract for a life time supply of glass balls and other stuff they liked.

2011121700016.jpg

In another session of "Meanwhile in Europe", we explore the Ottoman Empire, a bunch of Turkish heathens proclaimed to be the new Roman Empire and started invading Italy. CRUSADE! FOR THE HOR...REPUBLIC*
*No actual crusade was started, the Hanseatic League has no interest in executing the will of God, let the others die for him!

2011121700020q.jpg

My explorer also discovered a nation called Creek, and the glorious leader of the Republic felt that their subjects were living in awful conditions, so he sent troops to liberate them from their oppression. They first had to scout the land though, so another life time supply of glass balls contract was signed.

2011121700021o.jpg

When the territory was mapped the troops moved in the wilderness and i broke the military access, and in a month i DOWed them.

2011121700023.jpg

2011121700024.jpg

The war was quick, i used the Seize colony button (i discovered it only recently) and quickly annexed them.
Meanwhile, the Canarias became a city.

2011121700026.jpg

2011121700027.jpg

Following the conquest i started building forts in the provinces, i have to say that it wasn't easy, i had a really small income and so it took some time.

2011121700032.jpg

After 7 years i was finally ready to continue my conquest.
DIE JEEPS

2011121700033.jpg

2011121700034.jpg

As you can see my troops were quite streched because of the evil Shawnee (who don't own Shawnee they own it, but have their capital in Ohio :/) that always meddled in my affairs for some unknown reasons: guys, you have to die anyway, better do it painlessly!

Unfortunately they were dirt poor so i only got some meager 25 ducats from them.

2011121700036.jpg

This is an overview of my sliders, as you can see i'm quite ahead in turning free trade and later i was even able to trade in Andalucia and i think i could expand my trade even more. I also got a lucky event that gave me 1 narrowminded, another 2 such events and i'll be set.

2011121700038.jpg

An overview of my colonies, only those evil Shawnee are left.

2011121700039.jpg

Thanks to those colonies trading in Lübeck and my merchants in Andalucia my income went a bit higher, up to 500 ducats a year which is more or less in the middle. Crappy result for a mighty trading republic!

2011121700042.jpg

Got a gift to the state, i love that event! 250 ducats for free!

Unfortunately that's it for now, i promise i'll make another update on the general situation of Europe as the next session will be in January... I have to entertain you some way!

Last edited:
Tell your England, Castille and France players off for chosing baby's first nation in a MP game.
Just for clarification: You are aware that this was "Newbie Colloseum"? So we (I am the newb who lost a war to scotland as england due to the lack of pause) really where noobs. Apart from that I see no point in flaming, I think the only country who can beat the Hansa to the New World is probably Holland, with its strong sliders and good position. The other nations are just to damn big to reach trade 7 before the Hasa, at least I doubt that it is possible to reach trade 7 significantly earlier than 1425 as either Castille or England....

Just for clarification: You are aware that this was "Newbie Colloseum"? So we (I am the newb who lost a war to scotland as england due to the lack of pause) really where noobs. Apart from that I see no point in flaming, I think the only country who can beat the Hansa to the New World is probably Holland, with its strong sliders and good position. The other nations are just to damn big to reach trade 7 before the Hasa, at least I doubt that it is possible to reach trade 7 significantly earlier than 1425 as either Castille or England....

Castille reached it a few years after me, so yeah it's possible :p

Anyway taking all of the Americas in MP is madness, i'll be happy with just the USA :D

Castille reached it a few years after me, so yeah it's possible :p

Anyway taking all of the Americas in MP is madness, i'll be happy with just the USA :D

I wasn't far off!

EU3_france_world_mp_160412_1.jpg

I had an agreement with GB to take to around that line. No one else has a colony at all, I have all of the caribbean.

I also have more income than the next 3 players put together. 10k more annually than anyone else.

And in front of everyone in tech. Makes me sad that game ended. Poland was crazy powerful.

And yes, I do own the Spanish Netherlands.

Your most recent update had far more than the allowed 20 images. Please remember that smileys count in this number as they are images. Please correct your post as soon as you can, thanks.

General situation in Europe as of 1439

So here we are guys, in this update i will talk about the general situation of Europe in 1439, after just 40 years of playing.

First here's the map:

9aomli.jpg

Let's analyze the countries in order:

-Portugal: Didn't expand except Madeira, quite late in colonization, probably didn't even reach trade tech 7 (didn't check)
-Castille: After a failed attempt at PUing Aragon they chose the nom nom way, right now Aragon is left with 3 provinces so it's already in an advanced stage of dying. Also they're colonizing the Maya.
-France: Initially the player failed hard and lost against Burgundy, but another good player took France and right now i can easily say it's the strongest country in the world.
-England: After an initial failure against Scotland much like France, they recovered and they're currently exploring Africa...
-Milan: Same as France, lost a war against Bohemia and for a while it was in a PU under MANTUA, but now Milan expanded quite a bit, not a great power though.
-Switzerland: Expanded a bit in Baden and Württemberg, generally not a power and being landlocked can't colonize.
-Holland: Took Gelre in a war with Burgundy but then returned it for some reason (probably afraid of attack). Colonizing some random West African provinces.
-Hansa: I'm not a power yet, though my navy is quite big. Expanding in North America as you can see.
-Denmark: Doing the usual Denmark stuff, like keeping Sweden in the PU.
-Austria: Doing fairly well, constantly at war with Poland and didn't become HRE yet. On the expansion, they inherited Bavaria.
-Poland: Third great power after the Ottomans, at odds with Novgorod and Austria for Smolensk and Hungary respectively.
-Ottomans: Second biggest military, they are however bordering 3 hordes and so their expansion won't be so easy.
-Novgorod: After eating a lot of infamy for unifying the other states they are now gradually recovering, they still need about 20 years to core Moscow, however they have a core giving mission on Smolensk.

The other non-Europeans are too puny to be analyzed :p, they're doing their conquest but i know nothing else.

Military-wise, the first three powers are France, Ottoman Empire and Poland, followed by England and Austria.
Quite a strange chart, usually Austria should be far more powerful than Poland...

10dzklh.jpg

On the naval front, the strongest is England because of its huge starting fleet, followed by me and Portugal.
There are suspiciously many Asians in the list...

zurzp2.jpg

That's it for now, early game in MP isn't interesting, the fun starts in the 1500s ;)

Last edited:
You left my poor England out of the analysis :(
Anyway, I just saw my post above, strange, I don't rememember posting here and the time of posting strangely coincides with the time I got home from drinking that night... My apologies for the quite offensive tone I used. Holland was btw just trying to take over Mali when the Session ended so the colonizing is not all that random.

You left my poor England out of the analysis :(
Anyway, I just saw my post above, strange, I don't rememember posting here and the time of posting strangely coincides with the time I got home from drinking that night... My apologies for the quite offensive tone I used. Holland was btw just trying to take over Mali when the Session ended so the colonizing is not all that random.

Corrected that :D

I wasn't far off!

EU3_france_world_mp_160412_1.jpg

I had an agreement with GB to take to around that line. No one else has a colony at all, I have all of the caribbean.

I also have more income than the next 3 players put together. 10k more annually than anyone else.

And in front of everyone in tech. Makes me sad that game ended. Poland was crazy powerful.

And yes, I do own the Spanish Netherlands.

Yeah but that doesn't count, you were just in 2 colonizers.

So here's the update guys, i'm sorry, i'm terrible at respecting dates :(
I read again my previous updates and i noticed that i use the pics too much, text is merely a description of them. While i personally enjoy the screenie based AARs and i hate the walls of text i felt it was too much and that i can do better!

We start the session with a great "Clergy condemns philosopher" event where i of course chose the narrowminded move since i desperately need missionaries. This brings the slider at 0 which already gives a total 0.25 missionaries a year, so later i will slowly start converting the shamanists... Just. one. more. event.

narrow.jpg

Meanwhile in Europe, the First World War has begun!
Poland attacked Austria for an unknown reason and all allies were called, it was roughly Austria, France, and Ottomans against Poland, Milan and Switzerland. I don't really remember the details, but Poland got beaten quite bad! Finally the Polish death alliance is starting to be weakened, and with a good Russia on their back i'm not sure how long they'll be able to bully their neighbours.
You can see in the pic that Poland is getting occupied by AI Bohemia (who is still emperor due to an immortal king)

wwi.jpg

On the home affairs, i finished up building forts in Cherokee territory and then declared war on the Shawnee, as always the war was quick, though the bastards succeeded in destroying a cav stack, had to send reinforcements later. The funny thing is that i lost prestige because of this war because i seized a cot and killed it, but then another one spawned and i had -40 total prestige. Sometimes i hate that system.

annexshawnee.jpg

2012010700007.jpg

With all my American provinces trading through Lübeck i had then a really pleasant surprise: Novgorod decided to kill its COT, thus killing his league and making ALL of his Russian provinces trade through me, at the same time i made a few Balkan states enter the league and well, you can clearly see the results:

2012010700010.jpg

maximumvalue.jpg

After i was done with building forts in Shawnee i sent a reinforcement army of 4 Inf 3 Cav to kill the Huron tribe to the north, after the same scouting i did with Creek i was ready to kill them.

The war was quick of course and i annexed them in one go, though i have to say they were VERY rebellious.

A few years later i received a great news: border dispute on Osnabrück which gave me a great CB to kill Münster! After rebuilding my home army i proceded to attack them, and their ally Cleves jumped in, great! One more victim to kill.

munsterwar.jpg

As my army was clearly superior i defeated theirs in no time and then it was just matter of waiting for the sieges to finish, at first i wanted to just vassalize Cleves but then i said "why not?" and annexed them. With Münster's capital that's two unlawful territories but as a republic it isn't so concerning as the infamy reduction is usually quicker due to the ability to choose leaders.

2012010700019.jpg

My economical situation was definitely better at this time, almost 1000 ducats of yearly income because of the sudden enrichment of my Lübeck COT, plus of course the territorial gains.

ledger.jpg

On the investment side i was teching the government techs chain 9-10-11 for the 2 NIs and the formalized measures decision. I reached gov tech 11 just as the session ended. Also just to point out i have a HUGE stability cost because of all those wrong religion and wrong culture provinces, i mean it's 20 against 60!

cashpage.jpg

The sliders are also in a good position, i'm +4 free trade which should allow me to trade as soon as infamy goes down, while the NI for now will favor mostly colonization (QFTNW and later Land of Opportunity to finish a colony quickly)

slidersk.jpg

After 10 years i finished my mission of converting Catawba i've got a good one instead: Vassalize Oldenburg.

Easy to do, it's a free 2 infamy reduction (subjugation gives 0 infamy for vassalizing) and the next one i got was... Vassalize Mecklenburg! That's awesome, of course i didn't lose time and dow them too, for another 2 infamy which is really, really useful.

2012010700030.jpg

2012010700031.jpg

This will give me a good base to start serious colonization which will happen in uhm, 9 years. That will be when i'll get my first core in America and it should be the date of my capital moving, but i doubt i'll get all that money in time as i spend a lot (currently have around 400 ducats).

More or less that's it for now, although i had some wars it wasn't an exciting session, i'm a peaceful colonizer... For now. Don't worry, Hansa shall be strong!