• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Urza

Colonel
41 Badges
Apr 29, 2009
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • For The Glory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
0. Introduction

Welcome, fellow megalomaniacs. :)

In this AAR I am going to play the Kingdom of Bohemia, with the goal to bring back its golden age of the 14th century, go beyond that and generally make it as powerful as possible as an entirely Europe-based empire, while still wearing the 'historical plausibility' robe (loosely, sometimes) and enjoying being emerged the unfolding alternative history. No, something like that is not original at all. But always fun, I think.

The idea for this AAR originated in the "MM2 empires" thread, where SpartanSoldier recently presented me with the challenge to play an arbitrary European nation (Magna Mundi 2 or higher, 1453 start) and try to conquer all of Europe during the game's timeframe; he wanted to try the same as Burgundy. I still think that this is impossible, but in the end, I could not resist. I hope it will at least be interesting to watch the attempt.

Settings:
- IN + Magna Mundi Platinum 2 mod (the "best" MM, according to some) with a few personal trivial modifications (e.g. making the Knights not spawn at weird places)
- regular 1453 startdate (not a 'Hussite Bohemia' AAR)

Writing Style:
- mostly gameplay-focused reports with screenshots

Short overview of the starting situation:

boh-intro.jpg

Bohemia in Magna Mundi already starts with a lot of assets and interesting peculiarities:
- arguably the second most powerful country in the Holy Roman Empire (after Austria), in part because of its vassal Silesia; elector, kingdom and in a strong position to go for the HRE title
- located near the Eastern border of the HRE, making expansion easier
- in the West Slavic culture group, but uses 'Latin' type instead of Eastern type units and starts without any modernization penalties.
- starts with two excellent NIs, Battlefield Commissions and Ecumenism, plus one that doesn't seem to fit, Divine Supremacy. The reason for this setup has to do with the unique religious history of Bohemia and the Hussite Wars. The Ecumenism NI is surely there to represent the Compacta, about Divine Supremacy I am not sure.
- starts with Hussite minorities in most provinces, which, thanks to "Ecumenism", actually have more positive than negative effects.
- starts with (arguably) two of the best provinces in Europe, Bohemia and Wroclaw, and also with Silesian as an accepted culture

Bohemia in the game, much easier to rule than in real life:
- no animosity from the Pope or other Catholic rulers, because of the special religious situation; same ability to influence Cardinals as the other countries etc.
- religious and other internal strife, so intense and impeding in real life, not nearly as problematic in the game, Magna Mundi or not
- actually an elective monarchy, the country plays exactly like any other feudal monarchy
- no worries about being inherited
- And so on. So an outperformance of the historical counterpart is only to be expected.

First real update: Soon(ish).

Subscribed! It looks very interesting. :)

1. Opening Moves

[The first update, which is mostly about deciding on a course of action. Comments on things like the layout or desired level of detail and information are appreciated.]

Jiri z Podebrad is a good administrator and allows introducing very high tax levels in all provinces from the beginning. At least for the first few decades this will remain essential to have enough money on hand (yearly income now about 50 ducats).

The first mission is to strike up an alliance with Austria, which I gladly do. The next mission is to build up an army - this will take a while, since money is, of course, still tight. Poland offers a royal marriage and Pommerania offers an alliance. Both offers are accepted.

I make my first slider move towards centralization (now +3 decentralized), resulting in 'Social Discontent'. Fortunately, there are still no established factions in the country, so the effect limits to a prestige loss. The plan is to centralize ASAP for more money and administrative efficiency.

Since military expansion is a goal from the start, my next diplomats are all sent on missions to confer warnings to nearby typical aggressors (like Poland and Venice).
Some countries start offering royal marriages, all of which I accept. Who knows, maybe I will get lucky with a PU?

This event comes as a bit of a surprise (September 1453):
1-1.jpg

But it is not of great importance to Bohemia. The remainder of the year passes and advisors are hired.

1-2.jpg

Some diplomatic preparations for future campaigns commence.

1-3.jpg

In January 1455, I get to choose a 4th national idea and decide to invest in Bohemia's military by taking Engineer Corps (one of my favourites). Slowly, the standing army is expanded (up to 4/9 in 1456).

Later that year, an adorable gesture from the king of Poland and the first rebellion, which is no threat at all, are witnessed.

1-4.jpg

In January 1456, Jiri thinks the time is ripe for a change in Bohemia: Instead of an overly focus of the organizing energies of the country on religious aspects and questions, practical matters such as serving the monarchy in more immediate ways should be considered more important. Naturally, there is bound to be some opposition to these plans and full implementation will take a while.

1-5.jpg

In August, the mission is completed and the new one is quite interesting.

1-6.jpg

The reward is a core on Silesia's capital Opolskie, but for now they are far more valuable as a vassal. Also, I don't want unnecessary trouble with the HRE.

Requests to spend resources on making the new ideas easier to stomach, such as this one, are denied without exception.

1-7-1.jpg

The Teutonic Knights, liked by few, have appeared to be quite vulnerable due to internal problems for a while now, but apparently Poland fails to see its chances. Jiri doesn't and declares war in September. Hopefully, this war will also bring some temporary distraction from the not-too-well received reforms.

1-8.jpg

Distressingly, Poland decides to intervene against Bohemian aggression instead of taking the hint and declaring war on the Teutons themselves. Thankfully, Pommerania sides with Bohemia, while Austria and Brandenburg remain indifferent.

1-9.jpg

A major conflict over the Baltic provinces begins. This won't be over soon. :)

I like your aar very much the way it is; and you just had to round up with a cliffhanger :)

Jiri z Podebrad is a good administrator and allows introducing very high tax levels in all provinces from the beginning. At least for the first few decades this will remain essential to have enough money on hand.
Agreed, MM changes one into a Mr Scrooge; especially early in the game very high taxes in you culture provs seem a must. An occasional revolt is nothing, the hit to the population growth may be more crippling though in the long run. Btw, did you offer refuge to the Jews?

and Pommerania offers an alliance (...) accepted.
Will you be best buddies with Pommerania? ;) (why don't you put links to your aars in the signature?)

Since military expansion is a goal from the start, my next diplomats are all sent on missions to confer warnings to nearby typical aggressors (like Poland and Venice).
A rich Italian prov would be lovely. An accepted-culture Polish one not too shabby either.

This event comes as a bit of a surprise (September 1453):
1-1.jpg
Wow! That was quick. I hardly ever see it happen. I wonder, will it strengthen or weaken the future Spain.

Requests to spend resources on making the new ideas easier to stomach, such as this one, are denied without exception.
Which will considerably lengthen the process of adapting to the new paradigm.

The Teutonic Knights, liked by few, have appeared to be quite vulnerable due to internal problems for a while now, but apparently Poland fails to see its chances. Jiri doesn't and declares war in September.
(...)
Distressingly, Poland decides to intervene against Bohemian aggression instead of taking the hint and declaring war on the Teutons themselves.
Typical, I'd like the MM team to see the Polish-Teuton conflict was already there at the game start. As it is, Poland ignores the TO, its priority being absorbing Masovia. A guarantor will (sadly, especially as it's true even if the protegee changed religion) always go to war. Danzig would be such a prize if you could get it.

As for Devine Supremacy, it pbly represents the religious fervor in the county and/or the compacta. It would be useful if you could turn Bohemia Hussite. Btw, are you going to let Hussites live?

The new NI is Bureaucracy; I admit I had to go over the post one more time and then I read the screenshot; that's where it is. :eek:o:D

Derdiedas, humancalculator, chals : Thanks for commenting. Yes, the Divine Supremacy NI was pretty useless.

JacktheJumper : My new NI is Bureaucracy. Stability is -2 at the end of the first update. Concerning the advisors, well they just were in the pool on "advisor hiring day" (one year after game start).
I wish ya luck iwth this AAR
Thanks. In my Alsace game I had quite a bit of luck.

gabor : Thank you for your encouragement, it is nice to see you comment.
I have not yet offered refuge to jews, but plan to do that later.
Will I be friends with Pommerania? I hope so, they are good fun.
A rich Italian prov would be lovely. An accepted-culture Polish one not too shabby either.
My thoughts exactly. :)
The Polish-Teuton conflict, maybe we will see a better representation in MMtG?
I don't think Bohemia will be Hussite as I am not aware of a reliable way to go there. So my plan for now is to play it as a tolerant Catholic country. I have no reason to destroy the Hussites.

Parcae : Not sure about how problematic the stab hits will be. I tend to use warnings a lot to get into "defensive" wars. The idea with Reformed+Unam Sanctam is interesting, but this would also mean passing up on the (pretty awesome) bonuses from the curia and being papal controller. I will try to conquer as much of Europe as possible, but also to not ruin the country while doing that. :)

2. A Bohemian 13 Years War?

My initial strategy for the war is to concentrate on assaulting the Teutonic Order with most of my army and, with Pommerania's aid, push for a quick victory before turning attention to Poland. Meanwhile, a smaller part of the army is dispatched to attack in Poznan, backed by Silesia.

However, the Teutons prove to be more resilient than expected. In numerous skirmishes during the course of about a year, their army is gradually whittle down in a ping-pongy manner, but so is mine.

2-1.jpg

Not exactly Tannenberg.

In the meantime, Poland overwhelms Silesia and completely destroys their army. My attempts to prevent this are in vain.

2-22.jpg

Doomed, unfortunately.

2-3.jpg

Failed defence.

The drastic measures together with the considerable bonuses from Ecumenism and my advisors lead to a quick recovery of internal stability: In December 1456, -1 is reached. +0 in May 1457, +1 in November. In February 58, a setback to -1 ('Clerics condemn the new paradigm'), in April again +0 and in October +1. It is an up and down, but the stability hits don't hurt so much at this stage.

Having lost many thousands of men and knowing that Poland's manpower pool is and grows much larger, it becomes clear that this war can only be won for Bohemia as a longer war of attrition. I change my tactic to trying to save men, attacking only small Polish armies and, when possible, recover lost provinces by assaulting a month or two after they fell to the enemy. At least, Polish advances on Bohemian territory itself are mostly refuted (poor Silesia).

In December 1458, a glimmer of hope. Rebellions are becoming an increasing problem, though, and are taking up ever more resources to combat.

2-4.jpg

In April 1459, the situation is like this.

2-5.jpg

Later that year, it seems like Poland cannot stand the relative standoff any longer. King Kazimierz leads a large army to attack Pommerania. An opening.

2-6.jpg

Some success can be recorded, but Kazimierz manages to get out of the tight spot.

2-7.jpg

During the next engagements in Silesia, Poland can at least be met on more even ground, while the permanent Polish occupation of Raciborskie is broken for good by newly mustered Silesian forces.

2-8.jpg

The war rages back and forth for a while. In January 1462, the Pommeranians decide they had enough of the antics.

2-9.jpg

With the high strain the country is being put under by the war, even Jiri's leadership talents cannot contain the internal turmoil any longer. Also, the amount of loyal reinforcements he can draw upon has reached a dangerous low.

2-101.jpg

Goodbye, Jews of Prague

Unexpected(*) help in dealing with the rebel problem comes from Austria. Maybe they feel bad about not honoring my call to arms earlier, or they are just concerned about instability in a nearby imperial domain spreading to their lands. Additionally, in early February, for the first time in this war, an extensively successful sequence of military campaigns in Poland has lead to Bohemian occupation of a complete province. A mere distraction or a turning point?

2-11.jpg

(*) Actually not really unexpected. I was hoping for this.

--

International happenings and minor notes :

Bavaria has become rival of the emperor. Since I feel a strong Austria is not in my interests in the long run, I change my vote to them.

I get the event 'Local Fortification expert discovered' in Pilsen (+25% defensiveness, might come in handy).

The renaissance 'officially' begins in Tuscany.

My one artist gets 'his event', but dies not too long afterwards. At least I find a good replacement (This early in the game, there tend to be more good advisors around than at any time later in the game).

2-12.jpg

Venice wins their initial war against Milan and vassalizes them.

In the usual war of Papal aggression against Urbino, Tuscany seizes the Romagna province.

Burgundy has attacked Friesland and England is going for Connacht.

In the Orthodox world: Serbia wins a war against Bosnia and attains Hum. How long their luck will last is questionable, since Austria is already embarking on one of their Balkan wars.

Muscowy annexes Tver and is now at war with Novgorod (usual), but these two developments could become very interesting:

2-13.jpg

Georgia is not even at war with the Ottomans or any other major power. Well done.

The intial war of the Ottomans against Hungary is still going on without a clear advantage on either side.

Last edited:
A very tense few years. I did enjoy this update a lot, especially as AI really seems to be a worthy opponent. My only gripe is some of your pics are too small to read; like about Kazimierz managing to get out of a tight spot.

Yes, Danzig usually takes a long time to fall. 788 days are not surprising at all.
Poor Silesia. They're such an ideal buffer state. ;)

Giving MA to Austria was pbly the only way out of the nasty rebel situation. Personally, I hate this -implausible!- game EUIII mechanics. Oddly, they'll come and help you wneh you're at war but will ignore your rebel problems when you're at peace. :confused:

Pity, Jews of Prague had to go. :( I can't imagine the history and culture of the city without them.

And of course go Georgia! Hm... I ment go Bohemia! :D Now that you occupy their province Polish AI should me less reluctant to sign a reasonable peace. (But first you have to peace out TO, don't you?)

A very tense few years. I did enjoy this update a lot, especially as AI really seems to be a worthy opponent.
Glad to hear that.
My only gripe is some of your pics are too small to read; like about Kazimierz managing to get out of a tight spot.
I will keep that in mind.
Yes, Danzig usually takes a long time to fall. 788 days are not surprising at all.
Poor Silesia. They're such an ideal buffer state. ;)
Yes indeed, I don't know what I would do without them.
Giving MA to Austria was pbly the only way out of the nasty rebel situation. Personally, I hate this -implausible!- game EUIII mechanics. Oddly, they'll come and help you wneh you're at war but will ignore your rebel problems when you're at peace. :confused:
Maybe it can be explained a bit if they are allied. If they agree to provide military help against external enemies, it wouldn't seem so strange for them to also help with internal enemies? Not totally convincing, I know.
Pity, Jews of Prague had to go. :( I can't imagine the history and culture of the city without them.
Yes, it was quite saddening and also a bit shocking to see the Jewish congregation completely gone after just one progrom. Maybe I will get refugees one day who can be settled in Prague?
And of course go Georgia! Hm... I ment go Bohemia! :D Now that you occupy their province Polish AI should me less reluctant to sign a reasonable peace. (But first you have to peace out TO, don't you?)
Oh, I wouldn't want to give up on Danzig, no worries.

3. A Bohemian 13 Years War?, Part 2

The remainder of the war can actually be told in a few sentences, since it was less exciting and eventful than the first part. In short, Poland exhausts its forces in Silesia, while Bohemian and Silesian armies besiege their Northern and the Order's Baltic provinces. This and the subsequent occupations, while they fail to do the same to Bohemia, causes their war exhaustion to surge, while my situation remains less problematic, leading to their eventual slow defeat. Some more details should maybe be highlighted, though.

In 1463, the military wants to make sure they can get something out of Jiri's precarious situation.

3-1.jpg

Despite this, in December we already have this situation:

3-2.jpg

To counteract my heavy losses in men, in 1464 I move the slider towards quantity and it appears that at least this time Jiri has hit the right nerve. The yearly income balance is still positive (thanks to the high taxes and rebel problems being dealt with).

3-3.jpg

Until September 1465, Torun, Kalisz and Plock have fallen and I get another event from the Reneging the Past sequence. It seems a bit like Poland has given up on their Northern provinces. I concentrate on sieging the remaining provinces of the Teutonic Order, while having most of the army reinforce in Bohemia.

3-4.jpg

In May 1466, a Polish counterattack can be witnessed, but it is largely inconsequential. With the conquest of Warmia soon after, the Order agrees to very favourable terms.

3-5.jpg

Finally, in September, also Kazimierz relents and accepts his defeat. The war which has lasted almost 10 full years is over.

3-6.jpg

The gains: A sizeable chunk of good Polish land and the jewel to top it off, Danzig. Danzig means largely improved income and also : No landlocked modifier anymore (instead we get 'Limited Port Infrastructure').

The cost: Many thousands of soldiers and almost completely exhausted manpower along with many almost depleted regiments, a war exhaustion which will take another decade to wear off, administrative efficiency moving from 'good' to a mere 'competent', a tarnished reputation, a completely destroyed relationship with the crown of Poland which might never really heal in the future, and no more Jews in Prague. Also, it seems like Jiri has incurred wounds on the battlefield leading to his untimely death only a few months after the victory ceremony.

3-7.jpg

On a positive note, Bohemia can be considered to have asserted its position as one of the more notable domains in the world.

3-8.jpg

It would really mean a problem if Bohemia was to be attacked now, so I reestablish the alliance with Austria (on top of the one with Pommerania which was never broken). On the other hand, curious alliance offers from Genoa, Tuscany, Venice and the Palatinate are all turned down.

--

International Happenings (until February 1468):

France annexes Bourbounnais.

England annexes Connacht.

Austria starts and wins a war against Montenegro and Serbia.

3-9.jpg

Burgundy annexes Friesland.

The Ottoman-Hungarian war ends with white peace and the Ottomans begin to absorb the Turkish minors by event. Also by event, the first war against the Mamluks is triggered, soon won by the aggressor.

3-10.jpg

Muscowy finishes their war against Novgorod, gaining the provinces Olonets, Luki and Arkhangelsk.

The Austrian emperor looses popularity within the empire (maybe because of prioritizing his Balkan campaign before the defence of Friesland? Austria and Burgundy are still at war, by the way.) and for now, the duke of Bavaria enjoys the support of a majority within the electoral college.

The plague rages in some German provinces, but fortunately not in Bohemia. Mecklenburg is hit especially hard several times, with urban population dropping by about 93% in total.

3-11.jpg

Plagues are scary.

Small Europe Map (February 1468):

3-12.jpg

Last edited:
4. How Navarra won a war

With the recovery after the war and all the reneging of the past going on, there isn't that much to be told about Bohemia during the time between ca. 1468 and 1479. So, I thought to focus a bit more on the important historical occurences in the game's Europe in general - there were quite a few. But since there wasn't so much response to the previous updates and I don't want to bore anyone to death, it would be nice to get some feedback on that approach first; this little update is only about one episode.

With the conversion of Aragon's personal union with Naples into a real union, the economic and military potency of the kingdom has already seen a strong increase. In September 1468, king Ferran wants to take a further step along that way and expand his influence also within the Iberian peninsula. The kingdom of Navarra has its independence guaranteed by Castille, but will the Castillian kings dare to stand in his way, risking a war which could throw much of Iberia into chaos, especially given the amiable relationship, strengthened by royal marriages, shared with the Aragonese?

4-1.jpg

They will, for they are AI.

It can be seen as a major success for Navarran diplomacy to have won the energetic assistance of such an important ally, while Aragon is denied any help by their 'allies' - including the kings of France and Portugal. One cannot help wondering how they did it.

Another Navarran trump card is the sheer durability of the sophisticated and geographically well-placed fortifications in and around Pamplona, like Olite, and the endurance of its defenders. Despite being continuously encircled and besieged literally for (with small intermissions) years during the ongoing war, these bastions were not really in danger to fall even once. The few attempts to take the capital by force ended violently with many thousands of Aragonese laying dead before the walls after the assaults.

4-2.jpg

For this and the next screenshot, I switched tags with the game paused.

Ferran on the other hand is hard pressed by Castillian advances at numerous key locations on the long border shared by the two Iberian kingdoms. Over the course of the next few years, it becomes clear that only temporary increases in taxes and enlistments across the country can ensure staying on par with Castille. These are ordered. Aragon's naval superiority in the Western Mediterranean plays a crucial role for his strategy, since a large proportion of the resources used to fund the war effort in the increasingly exhausted home provinces comes from Italy.

4-3.jpg

Making use of the animosity against the 'emergency measures', a relative of Ferran named Carlos, grown up in Italy, who was temporarily entrusted with the administration of the Neapolitan provinces, commits treachery by declaring himself king of Naples. The swiftness with which the Neapolitan nobility accepts this step can only be explained by him having conspired and waited for an opportunity for a long time; all the negotiations concerning the spoils and the political restructuring were obviously made beforehand. In ways remaining largely hidden, certain figures within the Emirate of Granada seem to be involved in the coup as well. How else can it be explained that Carlos takes no offence at the notably unbloody 'revolution' leading to Malta's breakaway only a few months later?

4-4.jpg

Only Messina remains loyal to Ferran

Aragon is powerless in the presence of these developments. While the Mediterranean fleet remains intact and loyal, many key ports are lost and the kingdom's influence in the Western Mediterranean has obviously taken a strong blow. Of more immediate importance is that with the loss of the wealthy Italian provinces, the pendulum of war in Iberia now begins to swing in favor of Castille all the more. It still takes two years of bloody struggle, until September 1474, but the outcome is inevitable.

4-5.jpg

The mild peace terms negotiated bears testimony to the distressed condition the Castillian state is in as well. Clearly, this was no easy victory.

Navarra, on the other hand, remains completely independent. No promises were made to the crown of Castille in return for the immense support, only trivial compensations paid. Two of its greatest potential threats, having become dangerously close before, now brought up against each other, while still neither dominates the other. This episode is a setback for all proponents of an Iberian unification, but there can be little doubt about who really won the war.

Last edited:
A great start. Annexing Siliesia and eating up Poland and Mazovia should be your first priority to build a strong foundation for your Europe-wide empire.

Do you plan on become HREmperor or do you think that will only hinder your dreams of European conquest?

In May 1466, a Polish counterattack can be witnessed, but it is largely inconsequential. With the conquest of Warmia soon after, the Order agrees to very favourable terms.
Oh my, Danzig AND Toruń too?! :cool: (I want to live in this timeframe! ;))

The gains: A sizeable chunk of good Polish land and the jewel to top it off, Danzig.
By jewel you meant Toruń; right? :mad: ;)

Danzig means largely improved income and also : No landlocked modifier anymore (instead we get 'Limited Port Infrastructure').
It also means you might need a naval NI, or two.

It would really mean a problem if Bohemia was to be attacked now, so I reestablish the alliance with Austria
The problems will wear off. Austria can be a valuable ally, as long as they don't drag you into unnecessary wars.

Austria starts and wins a war against Montenegro and Serbia.
Speaking of which... my pet hate; but maybe as they've sorted this issue out, no silly wars for you.

Also by event, the first war against the Mamluks is triggered, soon won by the aggressor.
Good, old MMP!

The Austrian emperor looses popularity within the empire (...) the duke of Bavaria enjoys the support of a majority within the electoral college.
Is Bohemia going to join the party?

3-11.jpg

Plagues are scary.
Poor, poor Mecklemburg! :eek:

So, I thought to focus a bit more on the important historical occurences in the game's Europe in general - there were quite a few. But since there wasn't so much response to the previous updates and I don't want to bore anyone to death, it would be nice to get some feedback on that approach first; this little update is only about one episode.
But there are people reading! Still, I know how important for a writer is to get feedback. So dear fellow-redaars hands on the keyboards! :p
I enjoyed this episode. You seem to have moved from the gameplay style towards history-book; which I find even more gripping.

but will the Castillian kings dare to stand in his way, risking a war which could throw much of Iberia into chaos, especially given the amiable relationship, strengthened by royal marriages, shared with the Aragonese?

They will, for they are AI.
:rofl:

unbloody 'revolution' leading to Malta's breakaway only a few months later?
Ah, the Malta -> Granada thing; one of the 'implausiblities' or easter eggs in MM. This may slow down Castille if it turns out incapable of conquering the island when reconquista fires.

Navarra, on the other hand, remains completely independent.
Go Navarre! This on the other hand seems quite plausible, I did some reading on the topic while writing my Navarre aar. Still, the ripples reached further one might have expected. (In MMU Navarre goes down in the second or third war, better troops maybe?)

Great read. Want more!

Holly Molly, you took both Gdańsk AND Toruń?

When I see your map of Europe, my patriotic side weeps a little, while my gamer side screams "Go, Bohemia! This game is so awesome!"

So, are you going to become HREmpra and then utterly destroy everything from Brittany through Venezia through Hungary through Ukraine to Livland, or are your objectives milder? Because, seeing as you were able to destroy Poland, even if in 10 years, but destroy nevertheless, you could destroy every single other nation with enough force. And that would be awesome :D

CJL78
A great start. Annexing Siliesia and eating up Poland and Mazovia should be your first priority to build a strong foundation for your Europe-wide empire.
Thank you, and nice to see you reading. About Poland, I agree, but annexing Silesia is still a while off in my plans. They are in the HRE and I don't have cores, also they are rather useful at present. :D

Do you plan on become HREmperor or do you think that will only hinder your dreams of European conquest?
I might run for emperor as a strategy at some point, but the long-term goal is to dissolve the HRE.

gabor
Oh my, Danzig AND Toruń too?! :cool: (I want to live in this timeframe! ;))
It is a very interesting timeframe, but I imagine the wars and plagues might be a bit off-putting. ;)

By jewel you meant Toruń; right? :mad: ;)
Maybe. Then Danzig would be the crown jewel? :D

It also means you might need a naval NI, or two.
I think I will 'gamble' a bit here and pass this up for a while. NIs taken early in the game are the most important after all and I need others for AE and such.

The problems will wear off. Austria can be a valuable ally, as long as they don't drag you into unnecessary wars.
Yes, I think the same.

Ah, the Malta -> Granada thing; one of the 'implausiblities' or easter eggs in MM. This may slow down Castille if it turns out incapable of conquering the island when reconquista fires.
Seen it before .. wouldn't mind too much. :p

I enjoyed this episode. You seem to have moved from the gameplay style towards history-book; which I find even more gripping.[..]Great read. Want more!
Thank you for the support, I appreciate it. The (light) history-book style is something I like to experiment with, although most of the AAR will probably still be focused on gameplay. This is also because I lack broad knowledge in history. ;)

JacktheJumper
Holly Molly, you took both Gdańsk AND Toruń?

When I see your map of Europe, my patriotic side weeps a little
I am sorry that I hurt your feelings. :( ;)

, while my gamer side screams "Go, Bohemia! This game is so awesome!"
Yes, it is a game so it is fine. Right? :D

So, are you going to become HREmpra and then utterly destroy everything from Brittany through Venezia through Hungary through Ukraine to Livland, or are your objectives milder? Because, seeing as you were able to destroy Poland, even if in 10 years, but destroy nevertheless, you could destroy every single other nation with enough force. And that would be awesome :D
Who knows, but the stated goal is to conquer Europe. Even if this is unlikely to happen, I am pretty confident there will be some large-scale wars on the way. :)