• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I just signed an automatic white peace after 14 years of war. What's the length of non-fighting period I sign white peace automatically?

5 years iirc. Non-fighting and non-blockading.

How(or can) do nomads take land from non nomads?

hi

how can i add decisions to an created nation(by me)

I added the decision in the decisions folder and registrated it in the text.cvs but nothing...

I don't personally know but if you register your game you will get access to the User Modifications subforum and can ask there, you'd probably get the response you're looking for.

I got a question, is there a mod that disable pirates, they are so ***************************************** ******** *********** annoying!!!!!!!!!!!! All of my ports had been free from pirates the whole game, intill one date when there where pitates all over the place!

I got a question, is there a mod that disable pirates, they are so ***************************************** ******** *********** annoying!!!!!!!!!!!! All of my ports had been free from pirates the whole game, intill one date when there where pitates all over the place!

If you don't mind disabling blockades completely to get rid of pirates, open up naval.txt in \common\technologies in your EU 3 folder and search for and change where it says "blockade = yes" to "blockade = no".

Same thing happened to me!

I followed a few of the online suggestions for disabling Pirates in IN (and yes they are INCREDIBLY ANNOYING!!) but all my ships disappeared from my save game so I backed out. I then spent about 30-60 minutes setting up patrols and eradicating them - now with patrols things have settled down for many many years. I generally use light ships to patrol 2-3 areas at a time. There are still three issues:

1. An occasional pirate appears and does damage to the patrol ship - damage that won't heal at sea. Every few years or so on the 25th of the month I send the damaged ships into port to heal once - and then send them back out to patrol on the 1st of the month.

2. If a war starts out, my patrols can be attacked - not a good answer for this except to use Light Ships which are more expendable.

3. The most annoying feature is that the Fleets view on the top right is pretty useless now that I have all these 1 ship patrols all over the place. I'm playing Portugal so I've got maybe 20 patrols.

I think they addressed this issue in HTTT.

Another thing, early in the game I noticed a Pirate fleet of _28_ Big Ships in Heligoland Bight. They were there for years. What's up with that?

That date is when you hit naval tech 9. Paradox took out all ways to disable pirates spawning other than disabling all blockades in the final 3.2 patch.

Another thing, early in the game I noticed a Pirate fleet of _28_ Big Ships in Heligoland Bight. They were there for years. What's up with that?

DON'T DEFEAT THEM!!!

In Complete, there are only so many pirates that will spawn at one time. Also, pirate ships don't move unless you attack them. If you don't patrol a certain area and all other areas are patroled, they will all spawn in that single small area. After a bunch have spawned, usually 30 to 50 ships, they will stop spawning anywhere else in the world, no matter whether you're patrolling it or not, unless one of those ships is destroyed by someone attacking them.

I used to always have them spawn up in the Hudson Bay, or by Iceland. Easy to avoid and they aren't blockading anything of value to anyone.

Last edited:
If a horde stops being Steppe Nomads (via Persia/Mughal formation, normal gov't reform), do they leave the Horde tech group?

I believe they have to westernize like everyone else.

How(or can) do nomads take land from non nomads?

They can't. They can only vassalize non-nomads.

hi

how can i add decisions to an created nation(by me)

I added the decision in the decisions folder and registrated it in the text.cvs but nothing...

There's a nice "How-To" on this in the user mods forum. Put in "site:paradoxplaza.com how to create decisions" into google and you should find it.

Last edited:

That explains why I saw a few pirates early on and then none for a very long time (they were piling up in Heligoland) and I bet some nation defeated that pirate armada recently which immediately led to the major all-at-once-spawn of pirates all over the world that I just experienced. I didn't get the mega spawn until about 1600. Do they always spawn next to a port?

Is it normal that Colonial Nation's Quest of independence will give you rebels in China or at other odd places? Isn't there typo on the event files and the rebels should crop up at a random province of the Colonial's core? thanks.

They must've fixed that exploit in HTTT, then.

A good target for France is the German minors. Just make sure you can take on the Emperor, first.

Really? I don't have core on those provinces. And I guess I don't have a CB either. Wouldn't it be better to take my vassalstates first? At least I have a core on them and a CB.
Anyway what I actually did was attack Burgundy. :p Ofcourse I am playing on very easy to get the hang on EU3. I wasn't sure if I would win, but I did. Problem was that I could only annex 2 provinces without BB. I didn't have a core on the rest. So I took those 2 and made peace. Meanwhile my vassals took out Brittany, and I decided to annex them completely for 16BB. Perhaps a bad move, but one has to learn the game some way or another. :)
Another thing is this. I'm used to playing faster paced games. Games were you don't really have to wait long before you accomplish your goals. I don't think that is actually a good thing though. I'm in some way expecting to unite France in a couple of years. But I'm guessing that is not possible, right? Unless I don't mind about BB.
I actually started playing France because in my English campaign I almost united GB. Scotland is vassalized and I'm going to diplo-annex as soon as possible. But then I didn't know what to do. I want to form a colonial empire. For that reason I gave away my provinces on the mainland. But after I took out Ireland and vassalized Scotland, I felt like all I could do was put the speed on max and wait a couple of years. Or can I do something else, without interfering on the continent?

RJA

Really? I don't have core on those provinces. And I guess I don't have a CB either. Wouldn't it be better to take my vassalstates first? At least I have a core on them and a CB.
Anyway what I actually did was attack Burgundy. :p Ofcourse I am playing on very easy to get the hang on EU3. I wasn't sure if I would win, but I did. Problem was that I could only annex 2 provinces without BB. I didn't have a core on the rest. So I took those 2 and made peace. Meanwhile my vassals took out Brittany, and I decided to annex them completely for 16BB. Perhaps a bad move, but one has to learn the game some way or another. :)
Another thing is this. I'm used to playing faster paced games. Games were you don't really have to wait long before you accomplish your goals. I don't think that is actually a good thing though. I'm in some way expecting to unite France in a couple of years. But I'm guessing that is not possible, right? Unless I don't mind about BB.
I actually started playing France because in my English campaign I almost united GB. Scotland is vassalized and I'm going to diplo-annex as soon as possible. But then I didn't know what to do. I want to form a colonial empire. For that reason I gave away my provinces on the mainland. But after I took out Ireland and vassalized Scotland, I felt like all I could do was put the speed on max and wait a couple of years. Or can I do something else, without interfering on the continent?

RJA

Opening France strategy is something like:

Insult, then cancle vassal then dow 1 to 2 of your vassals at a time. So you absorb all your cores on them. You will have to pay 8 BB or so as you lack a couple of cores. Potentially you can dipplo annex those coreless vassals over 20 years. It may be a good idea to ally with some of your vassals early on if you get into a war with England/Burgundy right off the bat.

Wait till Burgundy is at war with the HRE or you are allied with him then reconquest them to get your cores. After the first war Burgundy will almost certainly collapse and certainly wont be able to put up much of a fight for round two. Expect it to take up to 3 wars to get all your cores as those Dutch provinces are pretty expensive.

Vassalise Savoy, Naples (they start in a PU with Provence so can be a target) and Brittany if you get into wars with them.

In the first war with England let them land lots of troops on France and wipe them out to drive up their WE. Capture their 3 provinces on the continent. Wait. You almost certainly wont be able to beat the RN and invade England proper, but after 5 years or so their WE will skyrocket and they will accept to give you all three of their continental possessions. At this point you can almost ally England if you want to, as they should stay out of France, if they come back again just make them give up their cores. Their missions on you will stop in 1450.

Unifiying France takes a bit longer than you think it would but it is doable within about 20 years. It takes 1 5 year war to beat England, 2 or 3 wars to anihilate burgundy. and a couple of years to force annex your vassals.

At this point you should try to use spies/luck to force a PU on Castile/Aragon/Portugal. Eat Italy if you get the chance. And spend most of your BB on Holy War against Morroco (the coast is quite rich) and the Mamelukes (the whole coast from Alexandria to Antioch is pretty nice and you get Jerusalem too).

Opening France strategy is something like:

Insult, then cancle vassal then dow 1 to 2 of your vassals at a time. So you absorb all your cores on them. You will have to pay 8 BB or so as you lack a couple of cores. Potentially you can dipplo annex those coreless vassals over 20 years. It may be a good idea to ally with some of your vassals early on if you get into a war with England/Burgundy right off the bat.

Wait till Burgundy is at war with the HRE or you are allied with him then reconquest them to get your cores. After the first war Burgundy will almost certainly collapse and certainly wont be able to put up much of a fight for round two. Expect it to take up to 3 wars to get all your cores as those Dutch provinces are pretty expensive.

Vassalise Savoy, Naples (they start in a PU with Provence so can be a target) and Brittany if you get into wars with them.

In the first war with England let them land lots of troops on France and wipe them out to drive up their WE. Capture their 3 provinces on the continent. Wait. You almost certainly wont be able to beat the RN and invade England proper, but after 5 years or so their WE will skyrocket and they will accept to give you all three of their continental possessions. At this point you can almost ally England if you want to, as they should stay out of France, if they come back again just make them give up their cores. Their missions on you will stop in 1450.

Unifiying France takes a bit longer than you think it would but it is doable within about 20 years. It takes 1 5 year war to beat England, 2 or 3 wars to anihilate burgundy. and a couple of years to force annex your vassals.

At this point you should try to use spies/luck to force a PU on Castile/Aragon/Portugal. Eat Italy if you get the chance. And spend most of your BB on Holy War against Morroco (the coast is quite rich) and the Mamelukes (the whole coast from Alexandria to Antioch is pretty nice and you get Jerusalem too).

Thanks for the tips! I don't yet fully understand the BB-mechanics. When you say I have to spend my BB, what does that mean?
I realize now that I have to be more patient. 5 year of being at war with England is long, but not in perspective to the amount of years in the game.I only played until 1404 and conquered 2 Burgundian provinces, Orleans and Brittany. That left me with 16 BB. But I thought I would conquer my vassals in the next years. That way my BB wouldn't go up, as I have a core on their regions. But I might restart the game. Play it another way.

edit: And what way should I move my sliders? Centralization?

RJA

Last edited:
The best slider movements are Full centralization, free subjets, Quality and Defence. Aristocracy depends if you need diplomats (royal marriages, lots of wars) or you're not a trading nation. Free market is generally better than mercentalism but you're playing HttT and I believe the mercentalism nerf was in DW, but mercentalism is mostly for colonial nations. Narrowmindedness depends on how many wrong religion provinces you have and whether it's worth taking the negative missionary hits to get better tech.
Land will usually be better than naval but nations such as England will need lots of ships so it's viable then.

The wiki here can help you with your choice

With regards to the Research sliders. I find that I always maximize one of them and leave the others at 0 and then readjust after I reach a new level. Why would you NOT do this? Seems like the game should just have a button instead of a slider for each Research group. Also, by the game end (on Easy mode) should you be expected to be maxed out in all Research groups or no where close to that?

Finally got the requirements needed to form Prussia, but was shocked that ALL my provincial decisions were removed.

Is there any way to avoid this? That was a ton of magistrate investment into land reforms, post offices, monuments, road networks, etc...

If this is just how it is, then does every country who forms a new nation (like Spain) get this same penalty?

With regards to the Research sliders. I find that I always maximize one of them .... Why would you NOT do this?

I'm always in a big hurry to get to the first NI, because some nations start with an NI, and many others will get it before you. After reaching the first NI, it depends on who your neighbors are. If I'm not in peril from the blob-of-the-month club, I have no problem with setting my tech research sliders all even (with Land tech being a little more even than the others!). So, if you've disposed of the local threat, or if you *are* the local threat, you're probably safe. Maybe.

Despite the fact that Land tech is amazingly helpful to your survival, you do get a nifty tech research bonus from your neighbors if you lag behind their tech. Its hard to paint a free bonus in a bad light. Ultimately, you're going to need production and trade tech to be financially successful, to get QftNW, etc. Maybe I'm just weird, but I will often let naval tech suffer, even as an alleged seafaring nation.