• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
How long until you'll have the last of the tech you need to civilise?

How´s performance compared to HoI 3 whats your system spec?

Better as I sometimes had problems running HOI3 in the unit-heavy and late scenarios. Specs: dual 2.4ghz / 4mb ram -win XP / 4700 Sapphire 1GB vid-card.

Aren't there reserves that you can call up aside from the standing army?

Only after civilising (or with the Post-Napoleonic thought) tech. Don't know which of the two as it happened at the same time. I hope it has to do with civilising as China will be a real menace with 400+ brigades and the ability to rally the poor.

That Florida looks just ripe for Mexico to reclaim.

Reclaim ?

:D Should be as fast as Nasa computers for the rest of us them, eh!

:D Should be as fast as Nasa computers for the rest of us them, eh!

Make it a G ;)

BTW: my first PC had 4mb, later upgraded to 8 :D Wasn't my first computer as I had an atari and something with those little tapes before that one.

Make it a G ;)

BTW: my first PC had 4mb, later upgraded to 8 :D Wasn't my first computer as I had an atari and something with those little tapes before that one.

4gb ram is what I also have, and my processor seems the same as yours. Hopefully I should be okay with this, I never played Hoi3 on this new laptop, but I'm hoping the demo will show us all how it performs.

Great AAR. I'm thoroughly enjoying it. :)

Here's what I meant about slavery in Korea. I'm a little disappointed it wasn't modeled by PI better. 5% of the pops being slaves is way too low.

Slavery in Asia
Main article: History of slavery
Persian slave in the Khanate of Khiva, 19th century

As late as 1908, women slaves were still sold in the Ottoman Empire.[78] A slave market for captured Russian and Persian slaves was centred in the Central Asian khanate of Khiva.[79] According to Sir Henry Bartle Frere (who sat on the Viceroy's Council), there were an estimated 8 million or 9 million slaves in India in 1841. In Malabar, about 15% of the population were slaves. Slavery was abolished in both Hindu and Muslim India by the Indian Slavery Act V. of 1843.[11][80] In Istanbul about one-fifth of the population consisted of slaves.[70]

In East Asia, the Imperial government formally abolished slavery in China in 1906, and the law became effective in 1910.[81] Slave rebellion in China at the end of the 17th and the beginning of the 18th century was so extensive that owners eventually converted the institution into a female-dominated one.[82] The Nangzan in Tibetan history were, according to Chinese sources, hereditary household slaves.[83] Indigenous slaves existed in Korea. Slavery was officially abolished with the Gabo Reform of 1894 but remained extant in reality until 1930. During the Joseon Dynasty (1392–1910) about 30% to 50% of the Korean population were slaves.[84] In late 16th century Japan, slavery was officially banned; but forms of contract and indentured labor persisted alongside the period penal codes' forced labor.[85]

In Southeast Asia, a quarter to a third of the population of some areas of Thailand and Burma were slaves.[11] The hill tribe people in Indochina were "hunted incessantly and carried off as slaves by the Siamese (Thai), the Anamites (Vietnamese), and the Cambodians."[86] The Siamese military expedition had been converted into a slave hunting operation on a large scale.[87]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery

Furthermore, Korea was essentially a vassal or tributary state to China. I am not sure if this is modeled very well by PI. Really, Korea should at least be in China's SOI but I guess the game mechanics don't allow this. China really should react more strongly to Japan seizing Korea. However, perhaps they will in time. Good luck. ;)

Oh and I do apologize if this is the improper place to bring up such things. Perhaps the thread on the main page or a new thread would be more appropriate. I'd hate to take anything away from such an interesting AAR. Especially since it is helping pass the time so well before the game is released. :)

Last edited:
At the start all of the armies had fancy names but I am to lazy to change them myself.

As for the Chinese army. They have the largest armed force but not the most powerful. I am quite confident I will be able to hold them off with my enlarged army and some fortifications once I can build those.

I agree the Chinese shouldn't be too much trouble, but at least you've taken the necessary precautions against them and any western powers feeling frisky.

Are you able to look at the armies and navies of the world by numbers as in the Leager of V1 (number of regular divisions, number of irregulars, number of Men of War, etc.)? Also what does the UK military score indicate, it should be the #1 in the world if V2 calculates milscore the same as V1 (their huge navy + large army)?

May I beg Singleton Mosby to continue his AAR to the end if possible? We haven't seen the latter part of the time frame yet, that's IMO the most interesting.

Are you able to look at the armies and navies of the world by numbers as in the Leager of V1 (number of regular divisions, number of irregulars, number of Men of War, etc.)?

What you can't see in V2 is what they're made up of though, so you see they have X brigades and Y ships. They could be tanks and Dreadnaugts or Irregulars and frigates.
^

489 brigades? Isn't that just shy of 1.5 million men? :eek:

Just what is China's population anyway? It might be on one of the screenshots, but I'm out of bandwidth so most haven't loaded.

Whatever belonged to Mother Spain is rightfully Mexican. :D

So when is Mexico going to take over the Netherlands? Actually, that'd make a good AAR...

"But sir! Only a civilised nation would send untrained civilians to the front!"
"Ah, I see."

More like only civilised nations can dream up the brilliant mobilisation timetables that once started couldn't be stopped or changed even if you wanted to, with the network of supply depots and transport to support it.

2mhu6u9.jpg
Chapter XIII: Civilized, at last

On December 26th 1849 the time has finally come to make the Meiji Restoration effective. Japan has been slowly westernising for almost a decade but now the time has come to make the big choice. The Shoguns are send home and emperor Mejij enthroned. This events takes place almost 18 years before the historical date so I am quite curious what will happen event-wise and if we will see anything of commodore Perry. We'll see in a couple of years.

1zqvv4l.jpg

105660w.jpg

Together with the Mejii Restoration I change over to a Liberal government, what I see as a reasoned part of the restoration, historical or not (I have no idea if it is actually). This change of government gives me a whole lot of new options and most certainly makes Japan a country more easily to govern. First of all and most importantly instead of a minimum of 50% taxes I am able to impose a maximum of only 50%. This means I can finally promote the middle- and upper-classes as they should be. Both are set to 25% for now. The middle-class because they are worst off at the moment and the upper-class because I desperately need to promote POPs to capitalists to start the process of industrialization. Investment in education was already cut back to 50% but to curb literacy somewhat which leads to consciousness something I don't want amongst the poor at the moment because I leave their tax level at 50% for now and don't plan any reforms anytime soon.

59worm.jpg

As most of you are I am quite curious about their reaction to this sudden turn of events. Most of them are conservative and turning civilized and liberal will not make them happy at all.

The newly discovered technology of Post-Napoleonic Thought allows me to build fortifications, gladly so as this will make me feel somewhat safer from the Chinese might to the north.

My new research will focus on Mechanized mining first, allowing Steel factories; superb for all those iron deposits and coal mines. Now I am civilized researching takes just 2,5 instead of four to five years. After this one I plan to go for experimental railroads before turning to the army and navy.

nlpnyg.jpg

502j3p.jpg

As expected the Civil War is not going well for the Confederates. Close to collapsing the Mexicans and Yankees will soon have the fledgling rebellious nation on its knees.

357g0ts.jpg

Congratulations!

Now what? Capitalist promotion?

Awesome work. I expected more fireworks when you switched over to a Liberal government with a largely conservative population. Perhaps that is in the future soon enough. ;)

I find it quite interesting that Liberia have joined USA in the war against CSA, they cant provide much help to USA more then morally. Im actually looking forward to play Liberia since it should give you some interesting options and difficulties.

Otherwise a very good AAR, especially since it not a european GP, they tend to get a bit boring, I like playing non-europeans countries or european minors.

First of all, thank you very much for the AAR and the very frequent updates.

A small gameplay question :
I don't understand your logic in lowering the taxes for middle and upper classes in order for them to promote... Shouldn't you lower taxes for lower and middle instead ? I mean upper classes cannot promote to upper classes... and only lower classes can promote to middle...

Am I wrong in my understanding of the promotion system ?

First of all, thank you very much for the AAR and the very frequent updates.

A small gameplay question :
I don't understand your logic in lowering the taxes for middle and upper classes in order for them to promote... Shouldn't you lower taxes for lower and middle instead ? I mean upper classes cannot promote to upper classes... and only lower classes can promote to middle...

Am I wrong in my understanding of the promotion system ?

POPs will always try to get the job which makes them the most money. Thus when a poor farmer paying 50% taxes is able to be promoted to an artisan he will have to pay only 25% while getting a better salary. Hence I make sure middle- and upper-class are not taxed as much and it is advantageous to be promoted.