• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Somebody mentioned this earlier, but I didn't see an answer -- why not pay tribute to GH, then DOW when you're ready?

Love the AAR thus far!

Somebody mentioned this earlier, but I didn't see an answer -- why not pay tribute to GH, then DOW when you're ready?

Love the AAR thus far!

I dont think my economy would be able to handle tribute. Its under an enourmous strain from keeping my 17 regiments going.

Glad you enjoy it.
Next update probably tomorrow.

Charge!!!

Chapter 9

Defending our glorious land

As King Jan´s army aproaches Moldavia the Horde scatters. The forces in Bessarabia manages to avoid Jan but the ones in Budjak are not so fortunate. However the Horde marches into Bessarabia again in an attempt to surround Jan. They fail.

However the Hordes forces in Bessarabia are to numerous to assault directly and Jan stays in Budjak untill summer when the horde attempts to dislodge him. They are beaten back.

In November the Kingdom of Denmark attempt a conquest of the Island of Ösel owned by the Teutonic Order, a Polish vassal. To further add to the problems King Jan dies in battle the same month and a regency council is once again formed.

The Teutonic navy attempts to gain the advantage with a surprise attack on the Danish navy. "The Aleksander" joins the teutonic navy and in a minor engagement the crew of The Aleksander mangaes to board and capure a Danish warship. The "Lindorm"

Polands problems just keeps stacking as the Tribal Monarchy of Ukraine declares war on Poland. However they are poorly prepared and are swiftly subdued and forced to cede parts of former Lithuanian territory to its rightful owner.

On the easter front General August has taken over after King Jan and he manages to score yet another vicotry over the horde. The tide is turning again. Two battles later August is defeated in Cherkassk and Poland agrees to once again sign a treaty were the hordes superiority is recognised. These treaties however mean nothing to the nobles in Poland. They are not worth more then the price of the paper its written on.

Poland however gets only 3 years of peace as the Kingdom of Hungary looks to retake territory ceded to Poland in the previous war. Poland now faces a 2 front war with a severly exhausted army. However the many wars has also made Polish officers into some of the most comptent in the world. Polands future is hanging by a very thin thread.

To be continued.

Last edited:
Enemies keep trying to jump in to take advantage of the horde war, but I'm sure Poland can handle it.

Ouch! Hungary alone wouldn't be such a threat, but Brandenburg seems to be rather healthy. Good luck!

Yeah, Hungary is a few land tech levels after me so I should be fine. Brandenburg however is in the latin tech group and at the same level as me. They will be trouble.

Enemies keep trying to jump in to take advantage of the horde war, but I'm sure Poland can handle it.

Yes it can. And if it cant let it be known that Poland went down fighting

Last edited:
I don't know why it took me so long to figure out you had another AAR on the go after the Sweden one. I love the title image, by the way—I almost used a similar one for a "Polish Holy War on the Ottomans" image in my own AAR. Winged hussars FTW!

The early 15th century was a bit crazy for you, eh? I thought you might turn the tide after 1415 but then the fragmentation of Lithuania happened. Egads. :eek:

Good luck with the simultaneous Horde/Hungary beatdown!

It's nice to read a Poland ARR, specially since I usually play with Poland. So far I've never conceded defeat to the mongols, maybe because I've found an easy way to beat them at the start of the game. In my case, the key is not to accept peace with them the first time they offer it to you. First thing I do is to add 3 cavalry units to my 15k men stack and use the king as general. Then it's all about waiting for the right moment to attack. Kiev is probably the most important province to hold. Faster reinforcements and more men after every battle. Easy to replenish your ranks and be ready to keep wiping out the smaller stacks of mongols troops. Anyway the idea is to weaken the horde even if they've already asked for peace, specially since you are now on a winning position, otherwise you'll have them at your borders again after 5 years... but stronger.

I've been following your AAR for a while now. The course of action it took is really interesting. Keep going on!

Last edited:
Charge!!!

Chapter 10

Hungarian Reconquest of Ersekujvar

While enjoying a slight numerical superiority the Brandenburger-Hungarian alliance attmpt to curb Polish power and retake territory lost in previous wars is to be a massive faliure. Brandenburg launches a disasterous attack against Poznan and General August Gorka sweeps in and forces a massive surrender of Brandenburger Cavalry while Margrave Albrecht IV flees for his life.

Albrechts forces are mercilessly pursued and massacred in Neumark. the road to Berlin lies wide open and Brandenburgs involvment in the war is effectively ended.

In the South General August Wyhowski Faces King Otto of Hungary. Otto is a terribly incompetent general and his men march right into a clever Ambush. Crossbow bolts rain on the Hungarians for a good 30 minutes before they panic and flee. August relentlessly pursues and massacres the Hungarians right outside their own capital.

Brandenburg and Hungary are swiftly forced into peace after a few months of siege and raids by Polish forces. While modern historians dont mention much of the Lithuanian soldiers part in this war the Lithuanian stops an attempted counter attack from Charpathia. 11000 Lithuanians face 6000 Hungarians. The Hungarians are once again massacred. (These Lithuanians are now in Szolnok)

Poland now gets some years of peace. Dring this peace Poland sees a massive constructiuon programwhere Marketplaces, Constables and Armories are build en masse. Alos Prince Aleksander reaches maturity and is crowned "King of Poland and Lithuania, Rightful ruler of Polotsk and Ukraine and Defender of Christianity."

In August 1465 the horde once again crosses into Poland and Polish forces turn south once again to defend their homes and families. Oddly enough when they arrive no horde is in sight and the war becomes a single long siege and march crusade across endless plains. The Horde has its armies defeated by some Russian principalities and they pledge to pay a substantial tribute to the Polish crown. Revenge is Sweet.

During the long Sieges an emissary from Stockholm arrives to King Aleksanders court in Krakow. he carries a offer of miltary alliance between Sweden and Poland. Aleksander agrees due to Swedish-Polish relations still being high from the Polish assistance during Denmarks attempt to Reinstate the Kalmar Union.

This Alliance is put to the test in the Autumn of 1470 when Sweden launches an Unprovoked war against Novgorod. Aleksander Pledges 8000 men under August Gorka to march North through Lithuania and the Austrian Baltic states and cross into Finland.

To be continued

Last edited:
I don't know why it took me so long to figure out you had another AAR on the go after the Sweden one. I love the title image, by the way—I almost used a similar one for a "Polish Holy War on the Ottomans" image in my own AAR. Winged hussars FTW!

The early 15th century was a bit crazy for you, eh? I thought you might turn the tide after 1415 but then the fragmentation of Lithuania happened. Egads. :eek:

Good luck with the simultaneous Horde/Hungary beatdown!

Egads? As in the pagan version of OMG? Either way, glad your reading.

Charge!!!

Chapter 11

War of Swedish Agression

The war of Swedish Agression was to be fought mainly in Norway and North Western Russia. However the very first engagement was fought in the Principallity of Wallachia as Polish forces achieve a swift victory and Swedish diplomats an equaly swift peace where Wallachia pays war reaparations.

August Gorkas march to Sweden was to take almost two years to complete. He was bogged down in the siege of Pskov and forced to march around the Gulf of Bothnia as Novgorod dominated the Baltic sea. He arrived in Eidsiva and in unison with the Swedish garrison he drove of the Norwegians.

This victory and allows Sweden to sign a peace with Norway where Norway cedes Eidsiva, Bohuslän and Jämtland. This allows Swedish and Polish forces to focus on the last remaining enemy: Novgorod.

The war at sea

There are few records left of the naval engagements during the Swedish war of Agression. A major engagement was fought in Öresund. The inexperienced Polish and Swedish sailors fail to hold of the Novgorodians who manges to capture the Polish "Lindorm" and later completely crush the Swedish navy. "The Aleksander" manages to reach safety in Älvsborg.

The Eastern Front

The war on the Easter front initially went well for the Polish-Swedish alliance. Nöteborg fell to Polish forces and Karelia and Kexholm fell to the Swedes. The road to the Novgorodian capital lies open.

Another Dynasty cut short

Having been unable to follow Polish forces on campaign due to his age Prince Wladyslaw remains in Krakow castle. However the unusually cold spring causes him to succumb to Pneumonia. (Heir Falls Ill, Medicus unable to help him)

However not all is dark in 1473. In the Summer the Novgorodian capital capitulates to August Gorka and the swedes halt a Novgorodian attempt to assault Finland. The Novgorodians retreat east to olonets but are intercepted by Augusts forces.

Polish and Swedish troops go into winter envampments until May 1474 when scouts report Novgorodians in Beloozero. With Swedish troops tied up in seiges it once again falls to August to stop the Russians. He is once again succesfull. Polish cavalry easily rout their Russian counterparts and proced to massacre the infantry who flees in dissarray.

This victory allows Sweden to press demands against novgorod and peace is achived after almost 5 years of war. Novgorod cedes Kexholm and Karelia and release the Principallity of Yaroslavl. August Gorka is hailed as a hero by Swedes and Poles alike and the Swedish king bestows the title of Swedish Field Marshall. The highest honour a foreigner can recieve.

Leegitimacy, Legitimacy, Legitimacy

King Aleksanders heir: Wladyslaw was to be the first fully legitimate king of Poland sense Wladyslaw II. Unfortunatley Wladyslaw died in Pneumonia and Aleksander perishes without an heir. Another Aleksander of the Jagiellon dynasty is elected by a council of nobles. While he is from the same dynasty as Wladyslaw II that dynastys legitimacy is long gone.

Lasting peace at last

The rest of the 1470s pass rather uneventfully. In March 1477 a prominent philosopher is condemned as a heretic but he recieves Aleksanders protection. Aleksander cares little for the clergy.

In May 1478 General August Gorka dies. he is given a Grand funeral in Krakow Church. The Swedish king even travels to Krakow to attend the funeral.

In July 1479 Plague strikes Ersekujvar and Aleksander orders all possible help. The reign of Aleksander looks to be a benevolent and peaceful one.

To be Continued

Last edited:
OK. Im Really getting anoyed at my Princes inability to remain alive.

If you don't mind cheating, using "heir [country tag]", they're pretty much invincible. I should know, I use it to keep my Polish Empire afloat. Only one Regency, and I'm in 1716, having started in 1399.

If you don't mind cheating, using "heir [country tag]", they're pretty much invincible. I should know, I use it to keep my Polish Empire afloat. Only one Regency, and I'm in 1716, having started in 1399.

I never cheat.

Time to get some more territorial gains in a war soon. Great AA so far, good luck.

Probably not during the reign of Aleksander II. Glad you enjoy it.

Seems to be going good but i must say as the one above does, i think its time for a territorial war and gain some more land. just saying

Good luck anyway! :)

Derahan

Cheerios!

Thanks

More land if he can keep it...

What? Im confused

What? Im confused
My point was twofold, firstly you have to be the leader of your war to get anything (damn ungrateful AI) and you have to be able to keep it. I still get the vibe that Poland's military is very stretched defending the existing country let alone conquests that add little but territory that will rebel and further distract Poland from expanding.