• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ah, that makes sense. Hey, does you or the AAR revert the naval build times back to the HOI2 standard? The DH Full build times are obnoxiously long (in exchange for ridiculously low IC cost) and I would think 1-2 years to build a capital ship is good enough (assuming they have good shipyards).

Ah, that makes sense. Hey, does you or the AAR revert the naval build times back to the HOI2 standard? The DH Full build times are obnoxiously long (in exchange for ridiculously low IC cost) and I would think 1-2 years to build a capital ship is good enough (assuming they have good shipyards).

We do not, I am pretty sure AAR doesn't either but there will be event mobilizing the military as a whole to get Rome caught up with the rest of the world quicker once it's formed

This means that, once the story takes you overseas, you will have a fairly large navy while still being balanced with the world.

Cool, good to see NARE is progressing!

lordmackie said:
I am making a new mod (The one in the Signature) and I am building it on top of your AAR mod. The thread posted only features a demo than doesn't alter any of your events and you are credited in the post, but before we continue to make a full length mod I wanted to make sure we had your permission to build on top of AAR, I am not sure whether your events will be altered at all (Maybe to include our new nations if at all) Mostly we will just add our own events and your events will be used as background to make the world seem more alive. I intend to give my mod events from 1914 to 1963 so that is why I chose to build it on top of Arms, Armistice and Revolutions. We kept the menus and graphics for now for convenience but if your would like us to not use them I will understand. We will not continue development without your permission to do so on top of AAR.

Thank you.

Well, sure thing, that's what AAR is made for, just make sure to follow a few things that make your, the players and our life a lot easier:
  • In http://aarmod.cfuchs.net/browser/event ids and event ranges.txt there is an overview of event-id-ranges with predefined meaning. Make sure you are using "not-taken" and not "reserved" event ranges, so NARE does not intentionally collide with other mods or event AAR itself. This also allows NARE to be played in conjunction with other mods, or future mods. Feel free to forward a short notice to me, if you are allocating a new event-id range.

• Make sure your mod functions as an overlay over AAR (to be copied on top of an AAR version), and not redistribute all of AAR or the rest of DH full. See what the Greece Improvement Project is doing, that's the way to go. This also reduces filesizes a lot and also allows interchangeability, and prevents people to run into incompatibilities.
    Currently your mod's archive is about 200MB in size, this is extreme. You should remove everything that comes with DH full or AAR from the archive and only include files you changed or adjusted. As far as i see, all you currently need people to download are a handful of textfiles.
    Again: don't release your entire mods-folder, all the images, leaders, techs, units, other event files, AAR, they don't need to be repackaged and also shouldn't be repackaged.
    Oh, and don't worry: almost all mods make this mistake in the very beginning.

• If you are fixing or adjusting things in AAR, please forward those changes to us, so we can fix them. Else you will make work for us and also other mods also a lot harder (as each of us would have to fix those independently). You can create tickets regarding changes, but reports, suggestions, ... on http://aarmod.cfuchs.net/newticket and http://aarmod.cfuchs.net/report.

• contact me via preferably skype, ICQ or jabber, see below contact details. You can ALSO reach me by mail or forum-pm, but my inbox in the forums is usually full, and it can take time for me to answer your mail.

• Your should have a dedicated directory for your NAR-events in db/events/ (eg: db/events/NARE or db/events/aar-events/NARE). This will help you in keeping your event files in check, and allows people to update and fix AAR independently, and also your events.
    In there, have an event-file for each nation or purpose (for AAR some examples are: AAR-U08-Germany.txt, AAR-GER-Germany.txt, AAR-ALL-Great Depression.txt)

• In your first page, please make sure to tell people which version of AAR they should use with NARE. But usually, if you did the above two things correctly, you should not have to worry about version compatibility.

• Don't post AAR or parts of it directly on the forums (as attachments). Mods seem to get banned for that on the paradox forums, this also included AAR. Please don't let that happen to all of us again :D.

If you have any questions, or need help with one of those things, including file-hosting, just contact me, I can also provide some download-space if you need some.

bye,
Christian

Okay, I was wrong about the whole naval thing. Turns out that long a build time is the norm, even for American ships. Carry on then. x3

Cool, good to see NARE is progressing!

We'll be sure to use this advice and we're grateful for your it, Burning, it was a worry of mine that when AAR is updated this mod may not be compatible with it, with your advice and support it should be possible to avoid conflicts, thank you for the event IDs. I looked on the site but couldn't really find which IDs are free, perhaps you could let us know which ones would be best to use?

As lordmackie said above we'll be utilising events to bring the Romans up to date with other powers.

Too long have the people of Italy feared the Royal navy. Too long have they feared German Quality of arms and training. Too long have the Russians held the numerical dominance of soldiers. Too long has France had influence over Italian politics. too long have the Austrians held Italian lands and people. The time of the old empires is ending. The time of the Roman empire has Begun!!.....again.....

Last edited:
In http://aarmod.cfuchs.net/browser/eve...t ranges.txt there is an overview of event-id-ranges with predefined meaning. Make sure you are using "not-taken" and not "reserved" event ranges, so NARE does not intentionally collide with other mods or event AAR itself. This also allows NARE to be played in conjunction with other mods, or future mods. Feel free to forward a short notice to me, if you are allocating a new event-id range.

Currently the mod uses the event prefix 8994 followed by 0 for Rome and 1 for other countries.

8994001 Rome
8994100 Albania

This will be expanded upon development of the mod but as of this demo, I chose a high number as to try and avoid conflicting with other events. I assume this is clear of AAR events?

A new, revised download of NARE is now uploaded.

the new download is avaiable HERE.

This should be a much faster download and is for the people who either, could not get the original download to work, or have not yet downloaded it.

Install Instructions:

NOTE: You WILL need to download AAR for this to work.

Create a copy of Arms, Armistice, & Revolutions -> Rename to "New Age of the Roman Empire" -> open the .rar file -> open 'New Age of the Roman Empire' -> extract the 4 folders into your NARE mod folder (Merge and replace when it asks)

Then play & Enjoy :)

Last edited:
well here's a small progress report again, we're redoing the menu screens from AAR. AAR has done a great job with them but it's very unroman. Here's one for you to enjoy. Burning we'll credit AAR on the Menu screen.

Attachments

• Loadingscreen.bmp
    Loadingscreen.bmp
    2,3 MB · Views: 118
Currently the mod uses the event prefix 8994 followed by 0 for Rome and 1 for other countries.

8994001 Rome
8994100 Albania

This will be expanded upon development of the mod but as of this demo, I chose a high number as to try and avoid conflicting with other events. I assume this is clear of AAR events?

Yea, AAR only uses the following prefix:
133xxxxxx
So there should not be collisions.

I looked on the site but couldn't really find which IDs are free, perhaps you could let us know which ones would be best to use?
see above. The list i posted basically contains id-ranges currently in use by AAR (or that will be used in the future). :)

good luck, guys!

What about having an ALT History that has the 19th century Roman Republic surviving instead of the current setup with the ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Republic_(19th_century)
IMO It could serve as a believable background to an attempted revival of the Empire. I'd have it happen during or at the end of WW1 whereas a military
strongman establishes a dictatorship to restore order to the wrecked Roman Republic. Members of the "Black Nobility" might also be credible candiates with
the motivation to abolish the Republican order and with the connections to be actually able to do it.

Last edited:
What about having an ALT History that has the 19th century Roman Republic surviving instead of the current setup with the ?
IMO It could serve as a believable background to an attempted revival of the Empire. I'd have it happen during or at the end of WW1 whereas a military
strongman establishes a dictatorship to restore order to the wrecked Roman Republic.

This could be interesting for another mod but we have already written down and begun work on the storyline and such a drastic change would mean starting all over again... Plus i don't really fancy having to make up holes in History where the Italian factions then Italy were historically....
The first BETA release will give players a feel for the storyline but it won't be until we add more events or redo events in later releases that any really really believable story may arise. Our current one is sufficient for the needs of this mod so far though, incase anyone was wondering :)

This mod should be perhaps joined with the "Imperial restoration mod" that concerns the Byzantines surviving the Ottoman offensives......

strongman establishes a dictatorship to restore order to the wrecked Roman Republic. Members of the "Black Nobility" might also be credible candiates with
the motivation to abolish the Republican order and with the connections to be actually able to do it.

A Roman Republic might have to possibility of being formed (Not necessarily in that manner) but as we are preparing for a BETA release we will most likely not have many alternate routes available. You may be able to form the Republic but not many events will take the story past the formation.

That word should be banned...

LordMackie was on a two week holiday and i've not had much time to mod lately. We have had an update report recently and work is still underway

Understood & glad to hear. I was just concerned. I want this mod to REALLY go somewhere as I've been waiting for a good Roman Empire-based mod for a long, long time, so I have a lot of hopes for this mod.

Hope to see the first version soon.

I have no intention of letting this mod go out like that. I will continue to work when I have time. BETA release will most likely be released by the end of the year if all goes well. If we get into the groove we started with, BETA should be released well before that.

We are still accepting any suggestions anyone might have as to what the people want out of this mod. We have a lot of the timeline thought out on a basic scheme but nothing is set in stone. We are constantly changing ideas and floating things around for an attempt at realism.

There is a lot of work to do what we want to get done so as an attempt to keep people informed and to avoid accusations of being "dead". I am releasing another informational Update::

The Demo was officially named as V0.1 and was made as an introduction to this upcoming mod. Another two releases are scheduled in order to give such a large mod an earlier play-ability and give a first hand experience of the progress of NARE. The next scheduled release will be NARE BETA V0.5 which will include a full story (with limited alternate routes) up until 1936. Contrary to other popular mods the interwar period will not be peaceful in the event that you go along with the main path. I will not give spoilers but there will be much turmoil and conflicts for the Roman people and may either Heavily Influence the 2nd world war, Change it entirely, or maybe even start it off all together. (NOTE: WWII as we intended will not be featured in this release, only the events leading up to it.) The purpose of this BETA is to give an early look at what the final release will look like and allow the players to tell us what they like or don't like in the mod. The next major release following the BETA will be NARE V0.1 FULL MOD. This will be the complete story from 1914 to 1964 with many choices and decisions for the players to make their own campaign. (NOTE: We of course will not think of everything by this release so while this will be the Full release, it will not be the last one.) Hopefully this will discourage any ideas of the mod being dead. I know many people have been wanting a mod like this and hopefully with the next scheduled releases we will give you that and more. If you want to make this mod great please give us suggestions, everything will be considered and you will be surprised how many ideas we could fit in here.