• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
question...is communist china changed to infiltration assault doctrine here? it's a lot more historical for communist china to have infiltration in depth doctrine by '44 then mechanized wave by '44, after all.
@great chairman: Commies should still have human wave doctrine. There are likely historical reasons for this being the case in the mod of which I am unaware, so I am not going to change it.
What the game calls "infiltration assault" is not guerilla warfare. Technically, it's considered in game as a "firepower focus" doctrine instead of "mobility focus", which is what guerilla warfare would be.
another strange thing; I saved my game as el salvador in april 1936 and loaded as Nat. China to look at what they are doing..I started time and the event came saying that "you have broken the 1932 pact"..yes,Nat. China AI had sent troops to Shanghai(8 divisions) before I controlled them, then Japan declared war on me..I left the game and tried several times, but results were always the same..japan declared war on me and never chose other options..
A definite oversight. The event should be set to ai=no.
My massive swarm is just overwhelming my TC and the AI acted like a punk and was unloading a crapload of Expeditionary Forces on me, forcing me to eat my up TC load even MORE (cant conduct a proper middle eastern campaign at this point), and forcing me to upgrade/reinforce the beggers too. I mean i've gotten like over 200 divisions worth of Italian, Romanian, Bulgarian, and German units under my control and in some cases gifted over outright since their flags changed to NatChi. Its pissing me off since it's totally throwing my TC out of whack and basically forcing me to either nursemaid those troops into battle or ignore them, which i cant handle since its too much micromanagement. Is there any wya to stop the AI from throwing all these damn troops my way when i dont want them. Course i've never played any other nation as far as this game so maybe this is a common problem...
divorce certificate
Go into diplomacy, then select the offending allied nation, and click "expeditionary force" to reject expeditionary force from them.
Hello. A new version of SMEP is coming soon, and since I can't balance or portray the Chinese Civil War or Sino-Japanese War worth crap, I'm giving up and included CCIP. I know we've talked about this before, but we only talked about making them compatible... well, I am going a step further and altering your work for you (not in a bad way, only for compatibilities sake!). If you have any problem with this, let me know!

Questions: What changes have been made to province_names.csv? And scenario_text.csv? I'd prefer not to replace these files if I don't know what's been done... my guess for scenario_text.csv is the Idel Ural creation event. As long as that's under 500 characters, it will fit in a text file, which I'd prefer.
No objection from me. As well as I can remember, the only things changed in province_names.csv is a couple of misspelt provinces. Changde->Chengde is one such, there are probably more, but I can't recall. Scenario_text.csv just contains a modified introductory description for CHI (the one you see along with the propaganda poster upon clicking CHI's flag on the campaign/savegame-select screen). Ide Ural's texts are in a separate file, I believe.

another strange thing; I saved my game as el salvador in april 1936 and loaded as Nat. China to look at what they are doing..I started time and the event came saying that "you have broken the 1932 pact"..yes,Nat. China AI had sent troops to Shanghai(8 divisions) before I controlled them, then Japan declared war on me..I left the game and tried several times, but results were always the same..japan declared war on me and never chose other options..

I think that the 1932 Treaty Broken event ought to be eliminated, even if it was historical, because of how it messes up the game.

A definite oversight. The event should be set to ai=no.
It is set as AI = No, the problem is that he was playing as El Salvador, then switched to NatChi. When he loaded as NatChi, AI = no was no longer true, so the event fired.

Maybe the 1932 Treaty Broken event should simply be slept at the end of January 1936 if you're not playing Nationalist China.

Well, with Hoi 3 coming out in 3 weeks, i doubt there will be any future updates to this mod as all minds will turn to modding Hoi 3 i guess.

Mib, will you be creating a CCIP for Hoi 3? I hope so :D

Well, with Hoi 3 coming out in 3 weeks, i doubt there will be any future updates to this mod as all minds will turn to modding Hoi 3 i guess.

Probably will be, if not I will try to make one.

China will be ignored pretty much like it was in Hoi2, despite being the second largest theatre.

Probably will be, if not I will try to make one.

China will be ignored pretty much like it was in Hoi2, despite being the second largest theatre.

hehe it has to be carried onto the HOI3 platform. You've gotta admit that HOI2 has way to many limits on the improvement of the China theater. I personally think that the CCW is actually a better playable and much more fun game to play. But in HOI2 China, a huge country, yet has not enough provinces to reflect all possible battles fought during the civil war.

And it also greatly reduces the possibility that despite CHC was an inferior faction nonetheless was able to survive CHI onslaught 5 times and manages to expand 100 times greater in 8 years. Provided that we now get 10000+ provinces(although they haven't released just one China screenshot) now it might as well be better to model the situation that Japan controlling large cities like Guangzhou and Wuhan but with a bunch of Nationalist and Communist guerillas stabbing its back. This would further affect the outcome of the later civil war as it was almost impossible and unfair for CHC, if you play as CHI, because when you have Japan beaten, you get complete control over areas that were actually CHC zones. And CHC could be a pushover in like a month, which is ridiculous.

Well, with all the new features of Hoi 3 such as leadership etc, modding the China theatre would be alot more fun.

Such as having a strong communist political party for NatChi and how you will deal with it. Events/decisions to increase or decrease their support base and resulting consequences.

Modernising the army will add more base leadership and so forth........ the possibilities :D

Well, with all the new features of Hoi 3 such as leadership etc, modding the China theatre would be alot more fun.

Such as having a strong communist political party for NatChi and how you will deal with it. Events/decisions to increase or decrease their support base and resulting consequences.

Modernising the army will add more base leadership and so forth........ the possibilities :D

I find that political party thingy a little confusing...So as a new feature one could see how the political parties constitute one nation's politics and government affairs, but how does that work exactly in China's case? 100% Nationalists in Nationalist China and 100% Communists in Communist China? I thought both were supposed to be one country? Any insight?

There were other parties, as well. Though that still doesn't help with the main Nationalist/Communist split issue, so...

Yeah, at least I'm expecting to see some other political parties other than the two parties mentioned above. But if they even have done that part well, I guess there would not be much left for people around here to mod? As HOI3 is coming out very soon and I myself will get it as soon as it releases, is anyone interested in carrying CCIP into its whole new stage?

It is set as AI = No, the problem is that he was playing as El Salvador, then switched to NatChi. When he loaded as NatChi, AI = no was no longer true, so the event fired.

Oh this is terrible, I get schooled on an event that I wrote myself. :wacko:

Yes, probably. I'm soliciting a catchy name for the new mod. Ideas?

I find that political party thingy a little confusing...So as a new feature one could see how the political parties constitute one nation's politics and government affairs, but how does that work exactly in China's case? 100% Nationalists in Nationalist China and 100% Communists in Communist China? I thought both were supposed to be one country? Any insight?

NatChi had its share of minor parties, as well as a prominent left-right divide within the KMT, so no worries there, I think. As for CHC, I dunno. Ditto for the warlords.

Yeah, at least I'm expecting to see some other political parties other than the two parties mentioned above. But if they even have done that part well, I guess there would not be much left for people around here to mod? As HOI3 is coming out very soon and I myself will get it as soon as it releases, is anyone interested in carrying CCIP into its whole new stage?

I suppose I will pre-order the game, too, then embark on a 1936 GC as CHI for great justice. Mod will have to follow.

Its due out tomorow and i guess in a week we can all migrate to the HOI 3 Mod forum :D

As for name change, CCIP to me sounds the best, straightforward and it is catchy, if a mouthful (the whole Consolidated Chinese.....).

Its due out tomorow and i guess in a week we can all migrate to the HOI 3 Mod forum :D

As for name change, CCIP to me sounds the best, straightforward and it is catchy, if a mouthful (the whole Consolidated Chinese.....).

Right. And has anyone looked into the game or played already? The Chinese map looks pretty awesome to me then the game crashed due to my crappy computer that barely ran the game.

Ok I’ve played the game and persevered through the slowdowns and other bugs.......

Heres what I can see so far, i’ll talk on different sections first. Note everything here is from the 1936 scenario played to 1939s. I did 4 restarts just to observe the game, ai etc.

The China map is well done, though theres the odd bug of having 2 close provinces share the same name. There is more depth for tactical manoeuvring but it also makes coastal defence a pain as there are so many ‘beach’ provinces that a Japan AI can attack on. However there are 2 main problems, first is that none of the Chinese factions have ‘Cores’ on each other. Conquering/annexing territory of another faction will cause it to be treated as ‘foreign’ territory. E.G. Natchi on ComChi. Manchukuo is not core by any Chinese faction either. The territory that each China faction controls is consideres 1 theatre which brings some AI problems that i’ll talk later. Infrastructure wise, coastal provinces average 40-60, more inland ones 20-40, fairly realistic. Resources wise same as Hoi2.

Armed Forces: The distribution of them for all Chinese factions seem ok , though they seemed to have followed the OOB of Hoi2 rather than Armageddon. Leaders are the same from original Hoi 2, thus severely lacking due to the sheer amount of divisions you have to churn out. NatChi starts with 2 garrison, 65 infantry and 18 militia brigades total. 1 tac air and 1 Int. 4 light cruisers and 2 destroyers plus 1 transport.

Technology: I can only talk about NatChi on this, they have barely any technology thats beyond 1918 mostly. They can build brigades wise: 1918 Infantry, Arty, AT, AA, MP, AC, Gar, Cav, Mil. Int and Tac squadrons. Destroyer, Light cruisers and transport. Only Techs of note are 4 levels for Militia Tech so Militia, Garrisons and Partisons are 1936 level-ish strength wise. No doctrines of any sort.

NatChi starts with 7.67 leadership, which means you can run about seven and a half research projects if you neglect everything else but usually optimal to only run 3 or max 4 projects. Rest goes into officer training. Base IC is 55, same as original Hoi2. Starting officer number is around 3500 which is 50% of optimal number.

Ministers, same as hoi 2, minimal and boring

Events : Tumble-weed aka zero . Marco Polo bridge auto fires on Jan 1st 1937. No other events, no Xian incident, moving industry to interior, Rape of Nanking etc. No United Front event either.

Decisions : zero

Nat Chi has Xibei 3 Mas as puppets, but Allied to Shanxi, Guanxi and ComChi:wacko: ! Yunnan and Sinking are more or less independant countries.

Ai problems : this is for all factions not just NatChi, the ai will happily guard allied borders or sit around doing nothing even if you give them orders e.g. defend these provinces etc. They will respond to invasion only after the provinces are taken, that is once you already lost the province and the enemy is already pouring in. This to me is a problem as theres way too much to micro, Hoi 2 was hard but ok, this is way way worse. The whole of China has 3-4 times more provinces than Hoi2 and just as many new beaches. The whole of China is considered 1 theatre and you cannot subdivide it, so the ai will happily distribute all its forces across the whole of your territory even though you told it to defend the beaches. The other Chinese factions don't have this much problems as their theatres cover smaller territories so the AI can manage to an extent.

Scope for Improvement: More events (better than zero! ) , More Politicos and Leaders, dividing up the huge single NatChi theatre into smaller managable chunks(E.G. Coastal areas, Interior areas.). All in all, it basicly boils down to importing CCIP from Hoi2 to Hoi3 or changing Hoi3 to Hoi2 depending on how you see it. But i’m been looking at the event systems structure and all that and it uses the EU3 style which I personally find hard to use compared to Hoi 2 system.

However that game as of now is barely playable and not enjoyable due to various reasons which i’m sure you can read on the Hoi3 forums, so i guess give it a week or two or even a month for patches. Sorry for sounding so pessimistic. :(

If you want any specific information that don't require much digging of game files, please ask and i'll try to get them for you. Crazy long post.....

Last edited:
However that game as of now is barely playable and not enjoyable due to various reasons which i’m sure you can read on the Hoi3 forums, so i guess give it a week or two or even a month for patches. Sorry for sounding so pessimistic. :(

If you want any specific information that don't require much digging of game files, please ask and i'll try to get them for you. Crazy long post.....

First of all I've read all of it but have not played myself so I guess this provides some good insight for anyone who wishes to play.

About technology I was actually thinking about it while HOI2 was around...The problem is did CHI deserve to even have 36 infantry troops at gamestart? I mean the Japs were weak enough as compared to the West, but the Chinese were almost too unable to defend the Japs. The best solution I've had so far is creating hordes of 18 militia and maybe just a few 18 infantry for CHI, not only will this make modernization of the Chinese armed forces much more difficult, but it will also require much more time, either in HOI2 and especially in HOI3, so we won't see China being able to take on the Japanese or even the Soviets extremely early.

Events, leaders, and ministers are a problem, but not one that big. We've got the CCIP community on our back. So no worries. If Mib or anyone who decides to take CCIP into HOI3 I'd first recommend focusing on WWII instead of some postwar imaginary events. If PI ever releases an expansion then we hopefully get to extend the timeline then CCW should then be the next focus.

I don't yet get to play so nothing about decision. No comment.

And Guangxi, Shanxi and Communist China being an alliance? Pretty funny, but seems not that hard to mod.

Lastly I've read and seen so many people complaining about the indivisible theater thing. I guess they'll soon get that solved. From what I could say is that maybe that warlord ai flaw you were experiencing was maybe a good thing. Consider how Chiang could never had the warlords to work for him the way he wanted. I think the hardest thing to create is to even make your own troops not execute exactly what you order them to do.

And again pessimistic games require salvation from optimistic modders . I personally am expecting a lot from CCIP so let's hear what they'll have to say.:)

About technology I was actually thinking about it while HOI2 was around...The problem is did CHI deserve to even have 36 infantry troops at gamestart? I mean the Japs were weak enough as compared to the West, but the Chinese were almost too unable to defend the Japs. The best solution I've had so far is creating hordes of 18 militia and maybe just a few 18 infantry for CHI, not only will this make modernization of the Chinese armed forces much more difficult, but it will also require much more time, either in HOI2 and especially in HOI3, so we won't see China being able to take on the Japanese or even the Soviets extremely early.

Well, at game start the Japs have access to 36 infantry whereas as NatChi you have to research, takes about half a year roughly and then you have to upgrade your 18 infantry. They do start with 36 militia for some reason....

Events, leaders, and ministers are a problem, but not one that big. We've got the CCIP community on our back. So no worries. If Mib or anyone who decides to take CCIP into HOI3 I'd first recommend focusing on WWII instead of some postwar imaginary events. If PI ever releases an expansion then we hopefully get to extend the timeline then CCW should then be the next focus.

Thats true, its already going to be alot of work writing all the events and all that but it can be done.

Well i can already think of some 'Ahistorical ones' such as pay so much money for a new military academy, get .10% bonus to leadership generated and so forth.

And Guangxi, Shanxi and Communist China being an alliance? Pretty funny, but seems not that hard to mod.

Guanxi, Shanxi, ComChi and NatChi are in a big happy alliance to be precise. Very annoying as unlike Hoi2 you can't declare war at the drop of a hat, have to increase their threat with spies which takes years.

Lastly I've read and seen so many people complaining about the indivisible theater thing. I guess they'll soon get that solved. From what I could say is that maybe that warlord ai flaw you were experiencing was maybe a good thing. Consider how Chiang could never had the warlords to work for him the way he wanted. I think the hardest thing to create is to even make your own troops not execute exactly what you order them to do.

Well, you could say that, but i expect my own generals to have abit more brainpower :D , we will see in the upcoming patches as hopefully paradox will change the AI priorities etc.

And again pessimistic games require salvation from optimistic modders . I personally am expecting a lot from CCIP so let's hear what they'll have to say.:)

Always the case, but the biggest thing now is to give Cores for the whole of China to every Chinese faction. Paradox seemed to have forgotten this important fact :wacko: and i've looked at the files and it takes 5 years to 'naturalise' a foreign province, EU 3 style (by which time WW2 is over). Currently every Chinese faction has cores on its starting territory only. Taiwan is considered Japanese and Manchuko is Manchu. Only problem is, i'm hoping that someone releases an editor as copy pasting stuff in notepad for 500+ provinces is no joke. I'm going to put my Hoi3 aside and wait for the next patch, hope you can beg/borrow/steal a better comp ClanJay

First of all I've read all of it but have not played myself so I guess this provides some good insight for anyone who wishes to play.

Please don't try to just equate Hoi3 with an improved (after they fix the CG and Supplies Bug) Hoi2. In Hoi3 China is meant to use mostly militia (which is why they have 1918 tech for infantry, but 1936 tech for milita). Infantry uses about 10 times the officers as militia and While China has plenty of manpower, they don't have good officer pools.
I agree that this seems to be a neglected area of the game. The only events/decisions I could find were for the China unites against the USSR and for Operation Zet...that's IT, there might be other events in files I didn't check though.

Maybe because of all the problems/complaints with the United China events?

The thing I have the biggest complaint about (concerning China) is that you can only send 1 unit as Expeditionary Forces at a time, and this costs diplomatic influence. This is both good (no spamming of Expeditionary Forces) and bad (the leadership starved warlords won't be able to send much in the way of Expeditionary Forces). Coupled with the lack of Military Control (which I agree with in most cases...except China) this could be a problem.

Also, Japan doesn't have a corridor of land between Shanxi and Manchuria.

Always the case, but the biggest thing now is to give Cores for the whole of China to every Chinese faction. Paradox seemed to have forgotten this important fact :wacko: and i've looked at the files and it takes 5 years to 'naturalise' a foreign province, EU 3 style (by which time WW2 is over). Currently every Chinese faction has cores on its starting territory only. Taiwan is considered Japanese and Manchuko is Manchu. Only problem is, i'm hoping that someone releases an editor as copy pasting stuff in notepad for 500+ provinces is no joke. I'm going to put my Hoi3 aside and wait for the next patch, hope you can beg/borrow/steal a better comp ClanJay
Actually, the best way to handle it would be to only have the cores appear when the Civil War starts...i.e., any 2 Chinese players go to war with each other, then they get cores on each others territory.

If they start with cores on each other, their threat against each other will continually rise, which will make a non-event alliance with ANY of them almost impossible once MPB hits.