• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Personally I dislike moving tanks to Eastern Prussia (poor supply - which will be remedied quite fast with Danzig being taken) and having to cross a river to get into the "interesting" parts of Poland.

I prefer the plains in SW Poland for the tanks which enables them to perform some nice encirclements and going for VP while at the same time heading towards Warsaw.

Any special reason why you are sending them there ?

CharonJr

Personally I dislike moving tanks to Eastern Prussia (poor supply - which will be remedied quite fast with Danzig being taken) and having to cross a river to get into the "interesting" parts of Poland.

I prefer the plains in SW Poland for the tanks which enables them to perform some nice encirclements and going for VP while at the same time heading towards Warsaw.

Any special reason why you are sending them there ?

CharonJr

CharonJr: Supply isn't an issue (maybe 1.3 makes things easier, maybe because I have upgraded infra and researched throughput etc.). The river is a problem but not too bad - should really only be a one-off. Yes, they would probably be better used elswwhere, but they were need in East Prussia.

The main reason is pretty silly. I suddenly realised I didn't have enough troops in East Prussia to stop a determined Polish push north (which I have seen in the past). And the only Armeekorps that I could load and transport by D-Day ("Danzig Day") was the Panzerkorps.

No incredibly subtle plan, no hidden master-stroke: a misjudgement followed by a work-around. I said I would not cheat and I won't: the troops were in the wrong place for the timetable but the show must go on - I didn't think it fitted my promise if I started to shift launch dates or go back to previous saves to move other units.

Another good update. Really too bad you won't have at least the threat of Japan for Russia to worry about. Maybe the Chinese will take an interest in that direction, but I wouldn't hold my breath.:D

Rank and File
A Clerk’s War​

1st May to 15th May 1939

Mobilisation! This is it, there can be no backing down now. The official announcement was before dawn on the 1st of the month. This is not a bluff intended to weaken the resolve of our enemies: the costs associated with a call-up of the reserves are too high. Across the country young men are saying goodbye to their families (and their employers!) and heading the nearest mobilisation point. I hear the clerks in the Ministry of Transport have been working around the clock for the past few days, rescheduling trains, arranging for hundreds of additional wagons to be available for military freight and generally re-organising the Reich’s transport network.

Minister Schacht has also had his staff working all night – our industry production priorities have been shuffled to allow millions of Reichsmarks to be allocated to upgrading existing military units. It won’t be long for civilian rationing to be introduced, and I am already regretting that I didn’t put away a few more luxury items. Although the chatter among the junior staff is that this is only a temporary crisis and that all will be back to normal by the end of the year, my close study of the document trail for the past few years means that I know better.

On the 5th, we took another step along the path to war. Minister von Neurath presented what could only be seen as an ultimatum to Juozas Urbsys, Foreign Minister of Lithuania. Memel must be returned to the Reich, from which it had been stolen. Otherwise we would take it back by force. The Klaipeda Convention which had stolen the territory from us had four signatories, two of whom (Italy and Japan) support our claim. The other two, France and Great Britain, have said nothing. This was predicted by Minister von Neurath in his briefing to the Cabinet. Without Russia’s assistance, the Western Powers cannot hope to prevent our liberation of the population of Memel. The Lithuanian reply was back within 24 hours – Lithuania would accept our terms. Yet another bloodless victory. Maybe I am wrong – maybe Poland will concede Danzig to us, or the French and British will abandon their ally?

naziarmadainklaipeda.jpg

German warships sail into Memel harbour for the first time in 20 years, to be greeted by a reconnaissance unit of the Army of East Prussia.

I suspect the Office of Skilled Personnel has been putting pressure on research teams: no less than 5 projects were completed in the second week of May. The Heavy Tank group reported success in engine and reliability trials and immediately doubled its research. They are now improving engines, armour, reliability and the main gun. The Luftwaffe training division completed medium bomber and close air support pilot programs, and has been provided with a method of increasing armour on our single engine aircraft. The last available research team has been sent to further our Schwerpunkt methodology.

As tension built around the Kanzlei, news from China did not attract much attention, particularly as it only confirmed what we already know. Japan’s attempt to create a mainland empire is over, and they have lost both Manchukuo and Korea in the process. A province in Korea is nominally under Japanese control, but there are no troops present. Whether the defenders have disbanded or were evacuated is not clear, but what is definite is that no Japanese unit remains outside Japan’s Pacific territories, other than those in Hainan and Taiwan.

koreaendfinal.jpg

Korea: Japan’s defeat is now complete as it has no military presence on the mainland of Asia.

I cannot understand the Danes. With our troops on its borders, it has chosen this time to join the Allies! Maybe King Christian X has again exerted his authority over the politicians. Whatever the reason, our policy of placing a substantial garrison along the border can now be seen to be wise.

Very late on the 15th, I saw the documents that to me signalled that war was about to begin. Copies of orders from Minister Raeder were delivered, with a note that they were not to be opened until the next day. Needless to say, with some judicious use of steam I managed to carefully unseal the envelope and read the contents. The Kriegsmarine (now renamed the Nordsee Flotte) is to commence patrols in the Oresund region, and intercept and force to action any hostile naval vessels. The Baltische Flotte is to carry out the same order in Danzig Bay. The Type IIB submarines of II Untseebootsflotte will carry out convoy attacks off the Mouth of the Thames, and the Type IXs of 1 and 2 Unterseebootsflotte are to attack convoys in the Iberian Plain and East Central Atlantic respectively. I must contact my sister Helga, she tends to get a bit emotional and when she realsies that her husband is at war she will be distraught. But I can’t do it now, this is the sort of knowledge that gets people arrested.

31bismarck.jpg

With no public announcement that the Nordseeflotte will be leaving port, only a few bystanders wave as the “Bismark” heads to sea. Admiral Gunther Lutjens is ready to carry out his secret orders to block the Denmark Straits, supported by naval bombers from Kiel.

01schlesien.jpg

The veteran “Schlesien” leads the Baltische Flotte into the Ostsee, heading for Danzig Bay and probable battle with the Polish Navy. The dreadnought is not capable of fighting a modern warship, and will be used to give protective support to our troops if we have to take Danzig by force.

u103final.jpg

A last chance to try out the deck gun on a Type IX U-boat as it sails on what may be its first active duty.

There is now no doubt – tomorrow either Danzig will be ours or the Reich will be at war!

Last edited:
Tensions rising!

Those Type II subs will have a very hard time in the mouth of the Thames. If you're not going to move them manually out of harms way each time the Brits send out a fleet, they're as good as gone :(

Tensions rising!

Those Type II subs will have a very hard time in the mouth of the Thames. If you're not going to move them manually out of harms way each time the Brits send out a fleet, they're as good as gone :(

Baltasar: Call me callous, but the plan is that they attract a small anti-submarine fleet that I will then hammer with the Nordseeflotte. Rinse and repeat. Great if it works - if not then I don't mind losing a couple of relics.

Baltasar: Call me callous, but the plan is that they attract a small anti-submarine fleet that I will then hammer with the Nordseeflotte. Rinse and repeat. Great if it works - if not then I don't mind losing a couple of relics.

That'll require some carfully planned movements and in my games, the Brits don't seem to know the concept of overkill in firepower, steaming out of London with what seems to be the better part of the RN.

Anyway, I hope that your clerk's brother / brother in law isn't on one of the 'Einbaeume', those seem to be pretty much suicidal.

That'll require some carfully planned movements and in my games, the Brits don't seem to know the concept of overkill in firepower, steaming out of London with what seems to be the better part of the RN.

Anyway, I hope that your clerk's brother / brother in law isn't on one of the 'Einbaeume', those seem to be pretty much suicidal.

Baltasar: It worked in HOI2 and I'm always willing to try the easy way:D. didn't I say he was transfering to a Type IX? I had better check - I am sure I did - I want him in the Atlantic, not hugging the coast.

BTW, the next update is pretty much an OOB, so may be very boring to most. I am just including it for completeness. When I was doing it I was struck by the thought that I really need more units: but then I always feel I need just a few more divisions.planes/ships/subs/factories etc etc.

If it turns out a disaster I can always blame the AI: I'm just sitting back watching!

EDIT PS Excuse the pathetic graphics in the next post: this is my first attempt and the amount of time I spent trying things is not reflected inthe final result! I suspect I will slow a little in coming days as the war-time pictures scream for arrows etc. and I manage to screw at least the first 3 attempts. I look at everyone else's AAR s and hang my head in shame. Maybe they teach it at school these days. (Yes, I am grasping at straws)

Last edited:
Rank and File
A Clerk’s War​

Eve of War – late 15th June 1939

I had packed up, ready to stroll to the Bahnhof in the warm spring evening air, when I received the summons to Minister Frick’s office. Already a little nervous, the sight of armed soldiers in the Minister’s office really alarmed me. Had someone got wind of my private diary? Or perhaps my curiosity with regard to the secret Navy orders had been discovered?

I soon relaxed. The Minister’s first words were of congratulation on my performance over the past few months. My attempts to deflect the praise to my staff or to say I had just done my duty were silenced sharply (Minister Frick wasn’t so impressed that a mere clerk could interrupt him!). He was simply getting to the point in a roundabout way.

My performance in ensuring that all documents were preserved correctly had impressed several senior member of the Party, and I had been selected for a further honour.

An officer handed me a heavy package. The Minister told me in a serious voice that there would be a momentous event before dawn on the following day. It was likely that before noon we would be at war with Poland and probably the Western Allies. I tried to look suitably shocked, impressed, excited and enthusiastic, but don’t think I carried it off. It didn’t matter, the Minister had continued.

In the package were the Wehrmacht plans for the coming conflict. I was to read and understand the contents thoroughly tonight, in the office. I would not be going home. At least one guard would accompany me at all times, and arrangements would be made for fresh clothes to be brought from my house.

In the morning I would set up a special “temporary” section to concentrate on military operations. It would be my responsibility to look after the records generated by the Wehrmacht and make sure that were all available for posterity. The package had been provided so that I would understand the significance and relative importance of the documents I would receive.

A brief nod by me and an imperious wave from him and that was it. I left with my “honour guard” and returned to my office for a long night.

Once I opened the package I saw I had 6 files. I opened the first and started reading. A cover note explained that these files contained the Order of Battle and primary objectives of the 5 Armies of the Wehrmacht, with a separate file for the Kriegsmarine and a few unattached units. These are my summary notes and diagrams that I kept for reference in the weeks ahead.

eastprussiaobjfinal2.jpg

Army of East Prussia

The Army of East Prussia is part of Heeresgruppe East and has two objectives: Danzig and Warsaw.

It comprises three Armeekorps: I Armeekorps, XIII Armeekorps and 1 Panzerkorps. (14 divisions)

I Armeekorps:

21. Infanterie Division: 3 Infantry Regiments, 1 Artillery Regiment
1. Infanterie Division: 3 Infantry Regiments, 1 Anti-tank Regiment
11. Infanterie Division: 3 Infantry Regiments, 1 Artillery Regiment
62. Infanterie Division: 3 Infantry Regiments, 1 Anti-tank Regiment
72. Infanterie Division: 3 Infantry Regiments, 1 Anti-air Regiment

XIII Armeekorps:

60. Infanterie Division: 3 Infantry Regiments, 1 Artillery Regiment
52. Infanterie Division: 3 Infantry Regiments, 1 Anti-tank Regiment
68. Infanterie Division: 3 Infantry Regiments, 1 Anti-air Regiment
56. Infanterie Division: 3 Infantry Regiments, 1 Artillery Regiment
73. Infanterie Division: 3 Infantry Regiments, 1 Antitank Regiment

1 Panzerkorps

20. Infanterie (motorised): 3 Motorised Regiments, 1 Armoured Car Regiment
5 Panzer Division: 2 Panzer Regiments, 2 Motorised Regiments
1 Panzer Division: 2 Panzer Regiments, 2 Motorised Regiments
27. Infanterie (motorised): 3 Motorised Regiments, 1 Armoured Car Regiment

Air Support:

3rd Stukakorps: 2 x Ju 87B geschwader
1st Jagdflugkorps: 1 x Bf 109G geschwader
2nd Jagdflugkorps: 1 x Bf 109G geschwader

polennordobjfinal2.jpg

Army of Polen Nord (note the huge Manchukuo garrison in Berlin!)

Also part of Heeresgruppe East is the Army of Polen Nord. It too has two objectives (Danzig and Torun) and comprises three Armeekorps: II Armeekorps, 2 Leichte Panzerkorps. (12 divisions)

II Armeekorps:

2. Infanterie Division: 3 Infantry Regiments, 1 Artillery Regiment
32. Infanterie Division: 3 Infantry Regiments, 1 Anti-tank Regiment
3. Infanterie Division: 3 Infantry Regiments, 1 Artillery Regiment
71. Infanterie Division: 3 Infantry Regiments, 1 Artillery Regiment
23. Infanterie Division: 3 Infantry Regiments

2 Leichte Panzerkorps

1 Leichte Panzer Division: 2 leichte Panzer Regiments, 1 Motorised Regiment, 1 Tank Destroyer Regiment
3 Leichte Panzer Division: 2 leichte Panzer Regiments, 1 Motorised Regiment, 1 Tank Destroyer Regiment
3. Infanterie (motorised): 3 Motorised Regiments, 1 Armoured Car Regiment
60. infanterie (motorised): 3 Motorised Regiments, 1 Armoured Car Regiment

VII Armeekorps

18. Infanterie Division: 3 Infantry Regiments
28. Infanterie Division: 3 Infantry Regiments, 1 Anti-tank Regiment
8. Infanterie Division: 3 Infantry Regiments, 1 Artillery Regiment

Air Support:

1 Taktischeluftflotte: 2 x He 111
3 Taktischeluftflotte: 2x He 111
1 Stukakorps: 2 x Ju 87B
6 Taktischeluftflotte: 2 x He 111
5 Taktischeluftflotte: 2 x He 111

polensudobjfina2l.jpg

Army of Polen Sud

The Army of Polen Sud (Heeresgruppe East) is to take Krakow. It has 3 Armeekorps: 1 Leichte Panzerkorps, IV Armeekorps, XI Armeekorps (12 divisions)

1 Leichte Panzerkorps:

2 Leichte Panzer Division: 2 leichte Panzer Regiments, 1 Motorised Regiment
2.Infanterie (motorised) Division: 3 Motorised Regiments, 1 Armoured Car Regiment
4 Leichte Panzer Division: 2 leichte Panzer Regiments, 1 Motorised Regiment
13. Infanterie (motorised) Division: 3 Motorised Regiments, 1 Motorised Regiment

IV Armeekorps

4. Infanterie Division: 3 Infantry Regiments, 1 Anti-tank Regiment
14. Infanterie Division: 3 Infantry Regiments, 1 Artillery Regiment
24. Infanterie Division: 3 Infantry Regiments
58. Infanterie Division: 3 Infantry Regiments, 1 Artillery Regiment

XI Armeekorps

9. Infanterie Division: 3 Infantry Regiments, 1 Anti-tank Regiment
15. Infanterie Division: 3 Infantry Regiments, 1 Artillery Regiment
29. Infanterie Division: 3 Infantry Regiments, 1 Anti-air Regiment
44. Infanterie Division: 3 Infantry Regiments, 1 Artillery Regiment

Air support:

2 Stukakorps: 2 x Ju 87B
5 Fliegerkorps: 2 x Bf 109D
4 Taktischeluftflotte: 2 x He 111

ostobjfinal2.jpg

Osterreich Army

The final Army of Heeresgruppe East, the Osterreich Army, has only one Armeekoprs, the 1 Gebirgsjager. (5 divisions) Unfortunately, due to an administrative mix-up, the headquarters unit is still in the West. This should not matter, as it is not intended to start for its objective (Krakow) for about a week.

1 Gebirgsjagerkorps

1 Gebirgsjager Division: 3 Gebirgsjager Regiments, 1 Pioniere Regiment
2 Gebirgsjager Division: 3 Gebirgsjager Regiments, 1 Pioniere Regiment
3 Gebirgsjager Division: 3 Gebirgsjager Regiments, 1 Pioniere Regiment
4 Gebirgsjager Division: 3 Gebirgsjager Regiments, 1 Pioniere Regiment
6 Gebirgsjager Division: 3 Gebirgsjager Regiments, 1 Pioniere Regiment

Air Support:

2 Taktischeluftflotte: 2 x He 111

obwestsplifinalt.jpg

Heeresgruppe West

Heeresgruppe West has two Armies: Benelux and Westwall. Its mission is to hold the West from Denmark to Switzerland until the forces in the East have conquered Poland.

The Army of the Westwall is responsible for the border with France. It has 2 Armeekorps (V and VII), and the fortifications which line the border provinces. Its air support is to cover the industrial centres of the south. (9 divisions)

V Armeekorps

5. Infanterie Division: 3 Infantry Regiments, 1 Anti-tank Regiment
25. Infanterie Division: 3 Infantry Regiments, 1 Artillery Regiment
55. Infanterie Division: 3 Infantry Regiments, 1 Anti-air Regiment
45. Infanterie Division: 3 Infantry Regiments, 1 Artillery Regiment

VII Armeekorps

7. Infanterie Division: 3 Infantry Regiments, 1 Anti-tank Regiment
10. Infanterie Division: 3 Infantry Regiments, 1 Artillery Regiment
17. Infanterie Division: 3 Infantry Regiments, 1 Artillery Regiment
27. Infanterie Division: 3 Infantry Regiments, 1 Anti-air Regiment
37. Infanterie Division: 3 Infantry Regiments, 1 Artillery Regiment

Air Support

4 Fliegerkorps: 2 x Bf 109D
2 Fliegerkorps: 2 x Bf 109D

The Army of Benelux is to defend the border with Denmark, the Nordsee coast, and the borders with Holland, Belgium and Luxembourg. It also may be called upon to invade Denmark, should this become necessary in the view of the OKH. Its air support is to protect the cities of the north and centre. It has 4 Armeekorps. (17 divisions)

VI Armeekorps

6. Infanterie Division: 3 Infantry Regiments, 1 Artillery Regiment
16. Infanterie Division: 3 Infantry Regiments, 1 Artillery Regiment
26. Infanterie Division: 3 Infantry Regiments, 1 Anti-air Regiment
46. Infanterie Division: 3 Infantry Regiments, 1 Anti-tank Regiment

XI Armeekorps

19. Infanterie Division: 3 Infantry Regiments, 1 Anti-tank Regiment
31. Infanterie Division: 3 Infantry Regiments, 1 Artillery Regiment
12. Infanterie Division: 3 Infantry Regiments, 1 Artillery Regiment
13. Infanterie Division: 3 Infantry Regiments, 1 Anti-air Regiment

X Armeekorps

20. Infanterie Division: 3 Infantry Regiments, 1 Anti-tank Regiment
22. Infanterie Division: 3 Infantry Regiments, 1 Artillery Regiment
30. Infanterie Division: 3 Infantry Regiments, 1 Anti-air Regiment
50. Infanterie Division: 3 Infantry Regiments, 1 Artillery Regiment

XII Armeekorps

33. Infanterie Division: 3 Infantry Regiments, 1 Anti-tank Regiment
34. Infanterie Division: 3 Infantry Regiments, 1 Artillery Regiment
36. Infanterie Division: 3 Infantry Regiments, 1 Artillery Regiment
61. Infanterie Division: 3 Infantry Regiments, 1 Artillery Regiment
69. Infanterie Division: 3 Infantry Regiments, 1 Artillery Regiment

Air Support:

6 Fliegerkorps: 3 x Bf 109D

Other Forces: direct command

The Marine Sturmkorps will receive orders direct from OKH.

1 Marine Sturmkorps

1 Marine Sturm Division: 3 Marine Regiments, 1 Pioniere Regiment
2 Marine Sturm Division: 3 Marine Regiments, 1 Pioniere Regiment

Naval bombers will receive orders direct from OKH.

1 Seeflotte: 2 x Fw 200C “Condor”
2 Seeflotte: 1 x Fw 200C “Condor”

Transport planes and ships will receive orders direct from OKH

1 Truppentransporterflotte: 3 Truppentransporterflottille

1 Truppentransporterluftflotte: 1 x Ju 52

Kriegsmarine will receive orders direct from OKH

Nordseeflotte:

1 x Battleship: “Bismark”
1x Battlecruiser: “Scharnhorst”
3 x Heavy Cruiser: “Deutschland”, “Admiral Scheer” and “Graf Spee”
7 x Light Cruiser: “Nurnberg”, “Leipzig”, “Konigsberg”, “Karlsruhe”, “Koln”, “Emden”, “Stuttgart”
2 x Destroyer (Z1 class): Zerstorergeschwader 4 and 8
2 x Destroyer (Z17 class): Zerstorergeschwader 5 and 6

Baltischeflotte

2 x Battlecruiser: “Schlesien” and “Schleswig-Holstein”
3 x Destroyer (G7 class): 1, 2 and 3

II Unterseebootsflotte

3 x Unterseebootsflottille (Class IIB): 2, 3 and 4

1 Unterseebootsflotte

2 x Unterseebootsflottille (Class IX): 5 and 6

2 Unterseebootsflotte

2 x Unterseebootsflottille (Class IX): 10 and 11

Last edited:
EDIT PS Excuse the pathetic graphics in the next post: this is my first attempt and the amount of time I spent trying things is not reflected inthe final result! I suspect I will slow a little in coming days as the war-time pictures scream for arrows etc. and I manage to screw at least the first 3 attempts. I look at everyone else's AAR s and hang my head in shame. Maybe they teach it at school these days. (Yes, I am grasping at straws)

I can speak only for myself but I value the quality of the writing over the quality of the arrows :) Most of your readers will probably be perfectly happy with having the battle plan illustrated with MS Paint. You could deflect any criticism by having the Führer himself draw up the grand strategy with his trusted crayons ;)

Anyway, your OOB looks good - I normally do not include AA regiments, but it definitely adds to the feeling of authenticity. And if ground attacks really do as much damage as you said earlier, they definitely make sense. So, good luck with the Poland campaign, everybody's probably looking forward to the detailed account of warfare we can expect!

And, by way of a non sequitur, I am deeply in love with the Bismarck picture.

Actually a good OoB, wouldn't know what to change except for adding more troops everywhere, but then again, I always fell like I don't gave sufficient formations for everything :)

It'll be great to see whether or not your mix of support brigades among your divisions actually makes itself felt, technically it should be a nasty surprise for the AI once it starts running into AA or AT brigades.

Btw, the Marines and all other naval units would recieve orders either directly from OKM (Oberkommando der Marine = Navy command) as they're part of the navy, or from the OKW (Oberkommando der Wehrmacht = armed forces command). Still wondering what you've got in mind for them.

Generally speaking, the command organisations of the different branches were commanded by the armed forces command and generally speaking, everything with wings on it belonged to the Luftwaffe and everything more than knee deep in water was considered property of the Kriegsmarine. Strangely enough those rules were sometimes twisted a bit, eg the Luftwaffe did field infantry formations. I guess they simply put wings on the uniforms, so they could go ahead with their general rule state above ;)

Last edited:
"Cry Havoc..." (the rest has been said ;) ).

Nice touch to include armored units in other armies, too and not just concentrate them, fells more realistic this way and with the AI in control it might actually be better.

CharonJr

I am looking forward to seeing how this goes too. I put aa with my hq, but that is to help prevent them from being wasted by air attack. I attached art to my mtn, but, so far, hasn't made of a difference. Maybe I'll try the engineer route now.

I can speak only for myself but I value the quality of the writing over the quality of the arrows :) Most of your readers will probably be perfectly happy with having the battle plan illustrated with MS Paint. You could deflect any criticism by having the Führer himself draw up the grand strategy with his trusted crayons ;)

Anyway, your OOB looks good - I normally do not include AA regiments, but it definitely adds to the feeling of authenticity. And if ground attacks really do as much damage as you said earlier, they definitely make sense. So, good luck with the Poland campaign, everybody's probably looking forward to the detailed account of warfare we can expect!

And, by way of a non sequitur, I am deeply in love with the Bismarck picture.

Thanks for the kind words. (But I still wish I could produce good graphics). As you may expect from my style, there will be plenty of detail.

And air attacks can be lethal - as you will see.

And I really liked the Bismark shot too: well designed, and the slight out of focus makes it somehow more genuine. The few anonymous wavers gives it a touch of sadness as well.

Actually a good OoB, wouldn't know what to change except for adding more troops everywhere, but then again, I always fell like I don't gave sufficient formations for everything :)

It'll be great to see whether or not your mix of support brigades among your divisions actually makes itself felt, technically it should be a nasty surprise for the AI once it starts running into AA or AT brigades.

Btw, the Marines and all other naval units would recieve orders either directly from OKM (Oberkommando der Marine = Navy command) as they're part of the navy, or from the OKW (Oberkommando der Wehrmacht = armed forces command). Still wondering what you've got in mind for them.

Generally speaking, the command organisations of the different branches were commanded by the armed forces command and generally speaking, everything with wings on it belonged to the Luftwaffe and everything more than knee deep in water was considered property of the Kriegsmarine. Strangely enough those rules were sometimes twisted a bit, eg the Luftwaffe did field infantry formations. I guess they simply put wings on the uniforms, so they could go ahead with their general rule state above ;)

While I was aware of Goering's need to keep control of everything he could, I was unaware that it extended to the KM as well. I should really have done some more research into the Marines.

But the reason I said "OKH" everywhere was just to let people know that I would control those units manually. Everthing else is AI.

Let slip the dogs of war!

To keep with the Shakespeare: "There comes a tide in the affairs of men ..."

".... which taken at the flood leads on to fame and fortune". I hope.:)

"Cry Havoc..." (the rest has been said ;) ).

Nice touch to include armored units in other armies, too and not just concentrate them, fells more realistic this way and with the AI in control it might actually be better.

CharonJr

I prefer to go for realism over victory at all costs. Always seems gamey to me to have pure armour units plowing through everything. And I agree, may make it better for theAI.

I am looking forward to seeing how this goes too. I put aa with my hq, but that is to help prevent them from being wasted by air attack. I attached art to my mtn, but, so far, hasn't made of a difference. Maybe I'll try the engineer route now.

Most of my HQ have AA, and some of the Armeekorps have an infantry brigade, just in case they get caught in combat or if I need a unit to hold a gap. (The Panzerkorps have motorised infantry brigades).

Hope to have the first combat this evening (about 8 hours away).

Rank and File
A Clerk’s War​

16th May - morning

After spending most of the night going over the Wehrmacht’s plans, I must have dozed off at my desk.

I was woken by one of the guards who had been stationed at my door to ensure that the military secrets remained just that: secrets. From somewhere he had managed to get a cup of real coffee, not that horrible hickory ersatz that we must get used to, an act of kindness for which I will be eternally grateful. It looked as though it would be a long day – my fob-watch told me it was still only 4AM. The guard handed me a pile of papers with comment that I needed to read quickly as more were expected soon. I had only slept for a few hours, but events had moved swiftly.

The top document was a copy of an ultimatum delivered to the Polish Embassy at midnight. Skipping all the diplomatic double-speak it could be translated as “Danzig or War”, and set a dead-line of 24 hours. The Poles had not needed anything like that amount of time – within 4 hours they had chosen. We are now at war. Simultaneously we received word from our embassies around the world: we are at war with not only Poland, but also the United Kingdom, France, Iraq, Oman, Yemen, Bhutan, Nepal, Ireland, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia, Greece and Denmark. As I read through the diplomatic cables, I felt a growing concern. Thank goodness that we have a 2 year non-aggression pact with the Soviet Union! And that von Neurath has worked his men so hard to keep Roosevelt happy!

war61473865ifinal.jpg

Received from our Embassy staff in London shortly before they were escorted from the country: the afternoon news in Britain on 16th June 1939.
The other papers showed that the Cabinet had expected this. They were copies of new laws that had been rubber-stamped by the Reichstag late last night, with a date of effect of midnight of the 16th.

Conscription laws have been amended so that instead of a 3 year call-up, conscripts will serve “as long as required by the Reich”. This will not only boost the manpower available for the Wehrmacht by 50%, but will also increase the officer intake by a similar amount.

A group of related legislation will restructure our economy (Minister Schacht must have been very busy). The end result will be a 50% increase in our production, though with a matching decrease in funds available to pay for imports. As a by-product, it is expected there will a small decrease in demand for consumer goods.

Finally, changes in transport and materials-handling legislation will reduce wastage in production and increase the amount of supply our roads and rail can carry.

In expectation of the boom in industrial capacity, there were a large number of orders for military hardware, and orders for the formation of various units.

We are to immediately start training soldiers for another Panzer division, a motorised division, a garrison division and our first cavalry division. More Bf 109E fighters are to be produced, as well as additional transport planes. 2 more Type IX U-boat flotillas are to be constructed.

Our industrial base is to be expanded by the creation of 3 new factory areas. To help protect our manufacturing plant from enemy bombers, three fixed anti-aircraft complexes are to be installed in our cities, despite rumours that they are not very effective.

The last sheet of paper contained the official order from OKH: Fall Weiss, the invasion of Poland, is to begin as soon as possible. The forecasts for the entire area are clear conditions, with no wind or cloud. Temperatures vary from about 10.0C to 15.0C – wonderful spring campaigning weather.

The Heer crossed the border into Poland at 8AM. Five simultaneous attacks were launched, in the provinces of Leszno, Rybick, Ostrzeszow, Poznan and Ostraleka. Reports started to trickle in during the day.

lesznofinal.jpg

Battle of Leszno

One of our best Generals, Heinz Guderian, led the initial attack in Leszno. Spearheaded by 1 Leichte Panzer Division, with support from 3 infantry divisions (3, 28, 29), our force was met by two Polish divisions, 5 Dywizja Piechoty (77, 85 and 86 Infantry Regiments) and 19 DP (19, 26 and 40). Everybody has heard of “Schneller Heinz” and even I bought a copy of “Achtung Panzer” when it came out last year. He has a reputation as being an aggressive leader, with a tendency for tricking the enemy. He outnumbers the enemy more than two to one (roughly 40,000 against 18,000), but the forests of Leszno will not help his light tanks.

rybnikfinal.jpg

Battle of Rybnik

To the south, Rybnik has been attacked by General Ludke’s 58. Infanterie. Ludke is nowhere near as experienced as Guderian, and his skills lie more in attacking fortified positions. The biggest problem he will have is crossing the Oder, which although not too wide at this point, still presents a significant barrier. With odds about even, this will be a test of his and his men’s ability. On the positive side, he is up against a reserve division, the 38 DP (96, 97 and 98 Reserve Regiments), led by a General Skuratowicz, whose logistical expertise will not help him in a combat situation.

ostrzeszowfinal.jpg

Battle of Ostrzeszow

General Ruoff’s motorised 2. Infanterie is attacking north from Grottkau into the broad plains of Ostrzeszow, opposed by the 25th and 11th Infantry Divisions (11, 13, 14, 26, 49 and 41 Infantry Brigades). Both Ruoff and his opponent, Szyszko-Bohusz, are known to prefer the offensive, and the Polish commander has an engineering background. Outnumbered, Ruoff will have to rely on skill and hope for reinforcements if he is to prevail. He is, however, pinning the only spare division on this section of the front.

poznanfinal.jpg

Battle of Poznan

My brother’s unit leichte Panzer Regiment 5 “Wunsdorf” is attacking Poznan, as part of General von Manstein’s 3rd Leichte Panzer Division. The famous General has support from 18. Infanterie Division and may need it, as he faces two infantry divisions (28 Dwizja Piechoty and 15th Infantry) dug-in in front of the city of Poznan. All the opposing regiments and brigades (13, 36, 72, 15, 18 and 22) are infantry, however, with no support weapons, so it is hoped that the light tanks with their 10km/hr speed will race across the plains and shatter the enemy. I just hope Heinz doesn’t run across a Polish infantryman who has been lucky enough to have been issued with a Karabin przeciwpancerny wzor 35. (It was one of the enemy weapons mentioned in my briefing papers – supposedly top secret but our spies earned their money.) While not as deadly to our light Panzers as the 3.7cm Bofors anti-tank gun, the 7.92mm shell would be good enough to pierce the armour of Heinz’s tank. But von Manstein is the better general, he is an experienced tank commander and he has a few tricks up his sleeve – I am sure he will soon see off Zegota-Januszajatis,( another of the Polish backroom logistics generals), even if numbers are fairly equal.

300pxatriflewz35.jpg

From my briefing notes: a file copy of the latest Polish anti-tank rifle, the Maroszek.

ostrolekafinal.jpg

Battle of Ostraleka

The fifth battle of the first morning of the war was launched from the provinces of Sensburg and Johannisberg in East Prussia. General Felber in overall command led his own 56. Infanterie Division and Generals Agricola’s and Hanicke’s 62. and 72. Infanterie Divisions into the forests of Ostraleka. With their backs to the River Vistula, and with Warsaw only kilometres away, the Poles can be expected to put up strong resistance. They have 6 brigades of infantry present, organised into two divisions, the 1st and 9th. Neither General is rated particularly highly by the Wehrmacht analysts, but Felber is being given his chance to gain experience as he is seen as a probable leader of the future (he has demonstrated a taste for offensive action).

By 11AM, fresh news was being received from the front. General Ludke had been joined in his attack by 14. Infanterie Division led by General Bergmann. Bergmann has hit the Polish 38th DP on the flank, and because he is attacking from Krappitz, he does not have the problem of crossing the Oder. The odds in Rybnik have swung well in our favour.

2.Infanterie has been placed in reserve behind Guderian’s four attacking divisions, but is unlikely to take part in combat soon. Similarly, 32.Infanterie and 71.Infanterie have arrived in Schneidermuhl and Landsberg respectively, and are preparing to join action in support of General von Manstein in Poznan. Finally, 11.Infanterie should be available for action in Ostroleka, attacking from Allenstein, as soon as the men can be organised to move up to the front.

poland11amcrop1final.jpg

Fall Weiss at 11AM on Day 1

I suddenly became aware of extreme hunger. Not having returned home last night, I had no evening meal, and the coffee this morning, while wonderful, was not very filling. The war was going well, my staff were performing their new duties with no problems, so I decided that, for a change, I would lunch in style. Out of the goodness of my heart I invited young Gisela, and we were soon seated in a pleasant, but not too expensive, restaurant near the office. Several hours later, we left much refreshed and strolled through the crowds back to the Kanzlei. Something had been nagging me, however, and it was the sight of the now finished and operational Air Ministry building that triggered my memory: with all the reports from the front, why was there no mention of the Luftwaffe? After the millions of Reichsmarks spent on Hermann Goering’s planes, were they not going to show us that they were worth every pfennig?

Last edited: