• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think touch interface is perfect for this game, but the screen so small... I find it I want more screen in my 23" monitor.
But I don't have ipad so... make it for Android instead :)

What is this, the 4th time I'm telling you. The Tegra 3 processor is a quad core processor running at 1,4 Ghz. Double the amount you say Europa Universalis 3 needs.

And you sure do toss around niche a lot. Every game is a niche game, everything product in our world is targeted for a specific audience. You haven't even done any research on the tablet markets gaming. You automatically generalize all tablet consumers to be casual gamers. Which simply is untrue. Most of the things you say isn't based on fact, and most of it is just guessing. You don't know how the tablet market would react to this kinds of games, you know why? Because there are none like it out there. Therefore it's impossible to know how the market will react before someone will take that pioneering step.

GHz alone doesn't mean anything. It's not even the same type of processor. It's a RISC (Reduced Instruction Set Computing) processor, not a CISC (Complex Instruction Set Computing) processor as are used in desktops.

Even if the CPU wouldn't be the problem the game would have to be ported in the way that PC games have to be ported to console. And the whole interface would have to be redesigned to be used with touch interface.

It would be like the console versions of Starcraft, years later, with lesser graphics and awkward controls. Who wants that?

This is NOT a place to indulge in anti-Apple or anti-tablet rants. Address the OP or stay the hell out of this thread. IOW, restrain yourselves or the thread will be closed and infractions handed out. Be civil or be banned.

I don't really see how the specs are a problem. Tegra 3 is quad core, running at 1,4 ghz. And tablets can run unreal Engine 3 without many problems, and most new games are in HD. It can render full hd with no problems. So i don't see in any way how it wouldn't be able to run EU3.
Yea, tablet CPU's and GPU's have come a long way since back then. Current Tegra 3 tech provides tablets with a 4 core CPU which clocks in at around 1,4 Ghz. And if I must remind you, Europa Universalis 3 has a recomended system specs of 1,6 Ghz Dual core. Tegra 3 nearly doubles that. Tegra 3 also supports OpenGL 2.0 which is needed to run Europa Universalis 3.

How exactly can they not run it? The only problem with the conversion of platforms in my eyes is that they need to port the engine it runs on onto the Ipad and Android.
As repeatedly stated above, the number of CPU cores and their Ghz are irrelevant. The PROCESSING POWER of the CPU and GPU in a tablet is not up to that in an everyday desktop or laptop, not remotely. EU3 DW requires vertexshader 3.0, pixelshader 3.0 and 128mb of video memory, and on top of that the CPU offloads much on its data processing onto the GPU. Show me any tablet that comes close to those specs.

Upside is easier control, a mouse is quite a cumbersome input device. A touch screen also would allow you to use both hands at the same time. Downside is that the screen is a bit on the small side, but I could see it work. Fast reaction RTS games like Star Craft would gain more from touch screen, but I think EU3 could have quite something to gain here.
Exactly the opposite is true; a mouse is a much finer control device than touch is. Imagine trying to click on the "split army" button with your finger, it's about 3 pixels across. Look at all the screen elements on an EU3 screen. How are you going to make every one of those big enough that a fat finger can unambiguously select it on a 7" screen? You can't.

Processing power and different input (mouse versus touch) aren't really issues, I think. Some tablets now have decent processors, and touch versus mouse is personal preference.

It could work, certainly.
The only "certainly" about it is that it is certainly not possible, as tablets stand today. I give it 3 years at least, maybe 5.

I have been playing this on my Samsung series 7 Tablet,,, Works good so far...
I need to redo the interface though to make it touch screen friendly....
That's on the large side for a tablet though, with an Intel Core i5 CPU and GPU. I think most of the discussion is more about the Atom and non-Intel tablets. Also I find the game far more enjoyable at a higher screen resolution than 1024x768/1280x800/1366x768. Too much of the map is hidden by the interface.

That's on the large side for a tablet though, with an Intel Core i5 CPU and GPU. I think most of the discussion is more about the Atom and non-Intel tablets. Also I find the game far more enjoyable at a higher screen resolution than 1024x768/1280x800/1366x768. Too much of the map is hidden by the interface.

Yea, Ipad 3 has a 2048-by-1536 resolution. Which is higher than HD.

Marat: I wish you great luck to control those tiny pixels and control elements with our fingers.

Mouse is mutch more, than touch screen. You wanna know why? Look at your keyboard. Imagine screen behind you keyboard and you, trying to control movement etc. only with keys, that would be those areas behind them.
Keys have to be large enough, so it would be easy to click on them and they would be large enough, so you wouldn't click on other, nearby, keys, by accident (often).

Mouse, on the other side, can point on single pixel. The effective area is mutch smaller. The only think, that could substitute mouse, would be that electronic pen, it has mutch smaller efective area, than keys, and it is mutch easier to click with it on small object (and this is already tested).

So, how the hell could be touch screen mutch more precise, than mouse?!
BTW. if it would be on tablet, wouldn't be battery a problem?

I've been dreaming of RTS games on a touch screen since the first time I played WarCraft II when I was little.

I've been dreaming of RTS games on a touch screen since the first time I played WarCraft II when I was little.

A touch screen makes you actions slower than a mouse. You need to phsically move a larger distance with a touchscreen than a mouse. Depending on your mouse sensitivity and dpi settings you can move across 2-3 feet of screen realastate by moving your hand a half inch. But if you are using a touch screen that big you would need to move your hand 2-3 feet. Touch screens are not good for anything that requires quick movement or fine precision.

Marat: I wish you great luck to control those tiny pixels and control elements with our fingers.

Mouse is mutch more, than touch screen. You wanna know why? Look at your keyboard. Imagine screen behind you keyboard and you, trying to control movement etc. only with keys, that would be those areas behind them.
Keys have to be large enough, so it would be easy to click on them and they would be large enough, so you wouldn't click on other, nearby, keys, by accident (often).

Mouse, on the other side, can point on single pixel. The effective area is mutch smaller. The only think, that could substitute mouse, would be that electronic pen, it has mutch smaller efective area, than keys, and it is mutch easier to click with it on small object (and this is already tested).

So, how the hell could be touch screen mutch more precise, than mouse?!
BTW. if it would be on tablet, wouldn't be battery a problem?

A lot of tablets have or allow some sort of electronic pen. And a mouse is really fairly clumsy. Yeah, it can point to a specific pixel if you can actually distinguish between pixels yourself, but for movement and such it's less than ideal. A touchscreen would probably require a partially redesigned interface (probably making buttons a bit bigger but generally having them hidden).

A lot of tablets have or allow some sort of electronic pen. And a mouse is really fairly clumsy. Yeah, it can point to a specific pixel if you can actually distinguish between pixels yourself, but for movement and such it's less than ideal. A touchscreen would probably require a partially redesigned interface (probably making buttons a bit bigger but generally having them hidden).
Please, can you be more specific? I can understand stataments as "I don't like mouse" or "I don't use mouse, so I feel clumsy with it". But your stataments are general "Mouse is clumsy", but without any explained reasoning. Do you have any? Or it is only your personal preferences, that is making mouse "clumsy"?

And to point of pixels, yeah. You have to distinguish between them. You are not as restricted by physiological limitation of largeness of fingers, but only on skill - ability to distinguish between areas. Which is mutch better, than distinguishing areas with fingers.

To be honest, modern games show, how is keyboard and mouse with adjusable controls pinacle of controling any game. Any game, where you have to do more things at one time is mutch more controlable with key binded to keys defined by your needs and precision of mouse. 8 buttons and no mouse gives too big limitation. Imagine doing your day to day office work, browsing net, writting posts or doing some tables in excel with console controller or touch screen.

edit: You admited, that it would be necessary to make a lot of changes in controlling, from large buttons hiddable buttons etc. The point is, if the redesigning wouldn't have to include dumbing down EU3, removing feautres, that would be too hard to control from tablet. So, wouldn't it be better, if there would be rather special version of EU, designed especially for tablets, more causal, centering on specific part of word, with specially designed features and controls to fit audience and specification of "Ipads"?

A touch screen makes you actions slower than a mouse. You need to phsically move a larger distance with a touchscreen than a mouse. Depending on your mouse sensitivity and dpi settings you can move across 2-3 feet of screen realastate by moving your hand a half inch. But if you are using a touch screen that big you would need to move your hand 2-3 feet. Touch screens are not good for anything that requires quick movement or fine precision.
I think it'd be quicker, esp. since you could use both hands and different fingers, but maybe my daydreams are unhindered by something as arbitrary as reality :p

Please, can you be more specific? I can understand stataments as "I don't like mouse" or "I don't use mouse, so I feel clumsy with it". But your stataments are general "Mouse is clumsy", but without any explained reasoning. Do you have any? Or it is only your personal preferences, that is making mouse "clumsy"?

And to point of pixels, yeah. You have to distinguish between them. You are not as restricted by physiological limitation of largeness of fingers, but only on skill - ability to distinguish between areas. Which is mutch better, than distinguishing areas with fingers.

To be honest, modern games show, how is keyboard and mouse with adjusable controls pinacle of controling any game. Any game, where you have to do more things at one time is mutch more controlable with key binded to keys defined by your needs and precision of mouse. 8 buttons and no mouse gives too big limitation. Imagine doing your day to day office work, browsing net, writting posts or doing some tables in excel with console controller or touch screen.

edit: You admited, that it would be necessary to make a lot of changes in controlling, from large buttons hiddable buttons etc. The point is, if the redesigning wouldn't have to include dumbing down EU3, removing feautres, that would be too hard to control from tablet. So, wouldn't it be better, if there would be rather special version of EU, designed especially for tablets, more causal, centering on specific part of word, with specially designed features and controls to fit audience and specification of "Ipads"?

I only said the interface would have to be reworked.:) If the processing power is good enough the rest of the game wouldn't need to be changed.

A mouse is essentially a joystick with two buttons (and maybe a scroll wheel).:) I wouldn't call that the pinnacle of control.

The biggest problem in my eyes is converting the engine to support the iOS and Android OS. The engine is made for windows (please note if it also works for Linux and Mac) and thus many of the coding and other features aren't available on the iOS. But if they could convert the engine. They could easily make games for those platforms, as long as they use the same engine!

Imagine trying to click on the "split army" button with your finger, it's about 3 pixels across.

OT, but this is in fact becoming an issue with large resolutions screens. Why on earth can't the interface scale a little bit? There so much room, so tiny, tiny buttons...

Dream bigger! Imagine splitting an army by placing two fingers on it and moving them apart. Literally splitting your army :p

Setting aside the fact that I would never buy an iPad, even my 22" monitor feels restricting when I play EU3. I cannot imagine what I would do on a 4 times smaller screen.
I have a Galaxy Tab and I can connect a mouse and a keyboard, too but I ask myself what is the point of using a tablet if you are actually going to convert it into a notebook?

No I most definately would not. I play it on my 14 inch laptop every now and then and that's basically more scrolling than playing. I don't even want to think about how it would be on a screen that is a quarter of it..

Setting aside the fact that I would never buy an iPad, even my 22" monitor feels restricting when I play EU3. I cannot imagine what I would do on a 4 times smaller screen.
A 22" screen is more than 9 times bigger than a 7" since the size measures the diagonal. So. 9 times smaller screen than what you have now. Sounds fun right? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.