• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If the Buying Stops.....No more sore buttholes!
I have no idea what product that is referring to, but remind me to not shop where you shop.

Okay, now I just plain don't understand what you mean. Would explaining be too much like continuing "this"?
You are more than capable of reading your own posts and more than capable of seeing that your backpedaling after I called you on your behavior is just that.

You are more than capable of reading your own posts and more than capable of seeing that your backpedaling after I called you on your behavior is just that.

apparently you're giving me too much credit, hahah.

And my 2 bits on all of this... Maybe a lot of you have the money to buy Windows 7 at 112 bucks a machine and have shiny new machines that will run it. I live in south Georgia and folks down here have been really hard hit by this depression and we don't have the money to go buy new machines or Windows 7. In fact, I only know 2 gamers out of the 200 or so that I play with regularly who have Windows 7 or a machine with 6GB of RAM to run it, so yes, I think it is assinine of Paradox and Kerberos NOT to make a version playable on Windows XP. There are far more Win XP machines out there than there are Windows 7 machines and there is really nothing that Win7 can do that WinXP cannot. I am also a Game Designer myself and I know that it would take their team maybe a day (or 2) to make a patch that would allow it to run on DX9 and thus Windows XP. So, why wouldn't they do that and not alienate all of those Windows XP machines out there?? Just good common sense business to me.

And my 2 bits on all of this... Maybe a lot of you have the money to buy Windows 7 at 112 bucks a machine and have shiny new machines that will run it. I live in south Georgia and folks down here have been really hard hit by this depression and we don't have the money to go buy new machines or Windows 7. In fact, I only know 2 gamers out of the 200 or so that I play with regularly who have Windows 7 or a machine with 6GB of RAM to run it, so yes, I think it is assinine of Paradox and Kerberos NOT to make a version playable on Windows XP. There are far more Win XP machines out there than there are Windows 7 machines and there is really nothing that Win7 can do that WinXP cannot. I am also a Game Designer myself and I know that it would take their team maybe a day (or 2) to make a patch that would allow it to run on DX9 and thus Windows XP. So, why wouldn't they do that and not alienate all of those Windows XP machines out there?? Just good common sense business to me.

tough luck

snip I am also a Game Designer myself and I know that it would take their team maybe a day (or 2) to make a patch that would allow it to run on DX9 and thus Windows XP. So, why wouldn't they do that and not alienate all of those Windows XP machines out there?? Just good common sense business to me.

No, I would kindly like to ask you not lie.
Otherwise you are a game dev that does not understand what an engine written in DX10 means. It is not that simple, do not make it out to be.

I live in south Georgia and folks down here have been really hard hit by this depression and we don't have the money to go buy new machines or Windows 7.
The US Georgia or the Georgia that got "demilitarized" by "friendly" Russia?

There are far more Win XP machines out there than there are Windows 7 machines and there is really nothing that Win7 can do that WinXP cannot.
1. According to Steam statistics, this simply isn't true (as far as pc belonging to gamers are involved). Statistically more gamer run Win7 than WinXP.
2. Can your Windows XP run 16GB memory? Didn't think so. Maybe DX10 and 11? Didn't think so either.

The REASON why sots2 need vista or win7 is because it need dx10.
now the reason why it needs dx10 is because its 5-10 times more easy to make the game run on all computers supporting dx10 than dx9 ever was you could get it to work but it took alot of time and effort.

now if you can get microsoft to release dx10 to xp you can play sots2 on xp.

as for the post that said it would take few days to get it working on dx9 sure its tru... but only in one setup then you had to add more time to get difrent configurations to work.

moving from dx9 to dx10+ is a solid plan. but forsing to use 3rd party software to patch the game because its more easy to use is total bs. its not the developpers problem to make 30+ difrent patches they need to make one and send it to the download sites its their problem to get it to work on their drm systems.

its not the developpers problem to make 30+ difrent patches they need to make one and send it to the download sites its their problem to get it to work on their drm systems.

But it's the developers that have to deal with the customer service nightmare of having various distro sites release patches at different times due to them having different time frames for getting the patches to work on the drm systems, and in many cases the contracts do, in fact, make it the developers' problem, so the statement is false from one direction or the other.

That said, it's about the consumers. Funnelling everything through the most widely-used digital distribution platform in the world right now is hardly a poor business decision. Annoying? For those who don't want to use it, sure. Poor business decision and "total bs"? Not even a little bit.

Yes...It would be good business sense to do so if it took "a day or two", the fact that they did not do so might tell you that is not the case though. May I ask what games you have worked on?

Further, are you also a programmer? Many designers are not, and designing games really doesn't mean you know about graphics engines.

Finally, Win7 certainly does not require 6GB of RAM. Min is 1gb for 32bit and 2gb for 64.

If it possible for you to pick up a cheap OEM copy of Vista which also supports DX10 & 11, and should be quite a bit cheaper than Windows 7?

People who can't afford to upgrade from a 10 year old OS probably shouldn't be spending all that time and money on gaming in the first place. Just a thought. Personally I'm glad to see this game is using a highly modern platform (DX10) and all the side benefits that go with that. From what I've seen of this game so far it looks absolutely gorgeous and I can't wait to play it on my yes very modern PC. Once the game isn't so half baked any ways.

Well depends on the other components a bit nighthaunt, eg graphics card, no? Which starts to add up.

I completely sympathise with you anyway demodragon. I remember trying to play Homeworld on a P233. To be honest you aint missing much, this game is very early beta, barely out of alpha and most of it doesnt work yet. My time playing this is 100% beta testing for now, there is no way to get a real game out of it IMHO and it would just be painful to try. But if fixed up like SotS1 (nearly) is, it would be sweet. So that is why I beta test, to help. I just want the game to play nice.

I am not interested in excuses either like the OP said, if the two parties involved knew what was good for them they would not have let it get to this so my objections are all aimed at helping them get smart.

I hope the economy picks up though, we are all in the same boat on that one and I should think it had more than a little to do with the decision to go to release at this stage. But it will be a slow recovery and as long as we rely on fossil fuels the prices of those will keep it slow. We are in the middle of a global population and resource crisis, some people are lucky and some are less so, so count your blessings, this game and its problems really are not so very important in the big scheme of things.

Unless I missed a few years, 2014 has not happened yet. Whether one agrees or disagrees with XP support in this game, saying Windows discontinued support is incorrect.
2014 is the end of extended support. Nothing says you have to use XP up until the last moment of its support cycle. In fact the reason they support it for so long even though it is not sold for almost 5 years now is to prevent security breaches caused through users who are stubborn enough to use legacy software well beyond its time.

wikipedia said:
On April 14, 2009, Windows XP and its family of operating systems were moved from Mainstream Support to the Extended Support phase as it marks the progression of the legacy operating system through the Microsoft Support Lifecycle Policy. During the Extended Support Phase, Microsoft will continue to provide security updates every month for Windows XP; however, free technical support, warranty claims, and design changes are no longer being offered.

So in other words. Anyone using XP in 2011 can only blame themselves for games not working. If you want DX10 or better, you will have to install Vista or a newer OS. You can hardly blame developers for creating games that use the latest technology and you can't really expect them to provide support for legacy systems in their games either.

... I think it is assinine of Paradox and Kerberos NOT to make a version playable on Windows XP. There are far more Win XP machines out there than there are Windows 7 machines and there is really nothing that Win7 can do that WinXP cannot. ...
Then think harder, hint: DirectX 10+. If you have a problem with that, I suggest you take it up with Microsoft and their management for designing their product line the way they do.

I am also a Game Designer myself and I know that it would take their team maybe a day (or 2) to make a patch that would allow it to run on DX9 and thus Windows XP. So, why wouldn't they do that and not alienate all of those Windows XP machines out there?? Just good common sense business to me.
Don't get me wrong, but your claim about 'a day or two' is ridiculous. For starters, 2-3 days is not even enough to properly plan the DX9 support for the engine, let alone create it. Think 2-3 months and you are closer to the truth with everything added up. Also see my earlier remark on supporting legacy stuff. Noone really cares about XP anymore. I feel sorry for your financial difficulties, but you can't honestly expect companies to invest time and resources into developing for a system that is quickly being replaced by newer ones and that will be completely out of the circulation by the planned end of the life cycle for the product you are making. (Assuming at least that they have plans with SOTS2 up until and past 2014, but if we base this assumption on SOTS1, then it is not that far fetched)

Last edited:
Lets TLDR summarise this.

- OP is impatient and wants to vent his irritation that he cannot get a refund this very instant (tough luck broski. Where I live if you cancel a purchase online you get to wait +21days till your money gets sent back.)
- People ignorantly/naively that no XP support was an intentional choice by Kerberos - which in part it was, but not to lessen customerbase, as much as make the end result prettier (and more current, see the "Microsoft has tried to put XP in the grave for years now threads/comments"). DX10 is easier to work with, produces much more current results (Oh noes - the gaem looks so dated, omg omg refund *slaptothegroin*), and if anything you should point your discontent at Microsoft for not making DirectX10 XP compatible to begin with, or even provide the unofficial workarounds that are in use today (as piss poor as they are in terms of performance)
- Yawn, another "rage rage, people discuss things they know nothing about" threads.

Nothing to see here, unless you want to troll/rage. For the rest of you, sit back, enjoy the ride and play some SOTS while Kerberos desperatly tries to salvage the game.

Paradox,

:angry:
How quaint that one of your staff is willing to apologize, when, by your release of yet ANOTHER ungodly buggy late Alpha Release product as supposedly a "Finished Product" you have already shown us, your buyers, that you having nothing but contempt for us. Yes, I love your games, 6 months after release when they have been properly tested and are sort of debugged... but this sort of behaviour is truly unacceptable from a Computer Software Developer of your size and expertise.

Get it right THE FIRST TIME or DONT RELEASE IT AT ALL !!!!!

What's worse, you are alienating more than 30% of your users who are still on Windows XP when a simple patch that disables whatever stupid feature that DX10 needed would allow them to be able to play. How foolish of you.
:angry:

They did make a xp version its called sword of the stars I. Go play that if you want good graphics upgrade its how the world works son. get over it.