• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Tupac Hualpa Chalcuchima: "Hmm, child sacrifice... Try sacrificing the heir next time if you want us to have a chance to learn shipbuilding."
Priest: "I'm just going to ignore that. But like I was saying, everything was done like it should be, and this is definitely what our deities want us to do."

:rofl:
As I read this I simply imagine Tupac Hualpa sounding like Bruce Campbell and the Priest like Jeffrey Donovan
Good luck with the regency.

Well, you could pray for ships, and have a Spanish or Portuguese armada show up...

If the continual volcanoes and earthquakes weren't enough, I think that last mission proves that the gods are mocking Inca.

Were you able to keep the early colonialism modifier? In my current game, it will appear for 1-2 months, disappear for a year or two, come back for a month, disappear again, and so on. It's been doing that for almost twenty years now. And I'm at trade tech 23 and only one move away from full expansionism.

Have you really never canceled a mission before that tariff one?

I think you should have kept the mission. Saves the children that way.

What is it with Bio Bio? Do they deliberately choose a different religion to be just so they get converted again and again and again? It's those damned Jesuits, isn't it?

Yes, waiting for the heir to grow up until you can send him to fight several thousand rebels all on his own is rather tiresome. Waiting for a decent let's westernize heir would be ideal or better yet an uncle who already is of an age to rule and ADM 6+ borrows the crown, for a while.

Missions in EU3 (in general, but also in MEIOU) are some times a bit illogical: e.g. I first got the mission to arrange a marriage with Austria, then after completing it, I got "vassalize Austria" ... The other way round would have been more logical (and a step towards "diplo-annex").

I simply ignore them for most of them times.

Yours,
AdL

Actually, the mission kinda makes sense. You've met the Portuguese now, so presumably you know about ships, you just don't know how to make them. It's Cuzco's 'Sputnik moment'.

I also like the fact that the minor panic about disappearing maize-producing provinces has now had a positive upside in the shape of the bonues for cacao and sugar.

Shame about the regency being Admin 5, somehow a lower score would have been more bearable. As it is you're so close! I hope Yahuar Hacuac likes going hunting.

Lovely bit of dialogue between the priest and Tupac. Here is hoping for the next mission is one to 'See that your heir has an 'accident'/abdicates hurriedly'.

Tupac Hualpa Chalcuchima: "Hmm, child sacrifice... Try sacrificing the heir next time if you want us to have a chance to learn shipbuilding."
Priest: "I'm just going to ignore that. But like I was saying, everything was done like it should be, and this is definitely what our deities want us to do."

:rofl:
As I read this I simply imagine Tupac Hualpa sounding like Bruce Campbell and the Priest like Jeffrey Donovan
Good luck with the regency.

Hehe, I don't know the series that well, but based on what little I've seen, that should do the job. ;)

Well, you could pray for ships, and have a Spanish or Portuguese armada show up...

If it went like that we'd have to sacrifice more children to make a clarification regarding our order. :p

Haha epic update ;)

Glad that you liked it!

Nice. Keep spreading the good word of Inti.

Priest: "Inti said we should burn calories. So we set fire on that fat kid."

I think you might be taking that too literally. :D But will do!

If the continual volcanoes and earthquakes weren't enough, I think that last mission proves that the gods are mocking Inca.

Dunno, maybe they don't want it to be too easy for us...

Were you able to keep the early colonialism modifier? In my current game, it will appear for 1-2 months, disappear for a year or two, come back for a month, disappear again, and so on. It's been doing that for almost twenty years now. And I'm at trade tech 23 and only one move away from full expansionism.

It has always worked properly for me, I haven't experienced that.

Have you really never canceled a mission before that tariff one?

Nope, I have intentionally failed some though. And spent rather long periods without one for some reason.

Why would Inti tell his people to build boats, when they already have (sea) horses?

I'll forward that question to Mr. Chalcuchima, maybe he can ask the priest. If the priest decides to take the question forward still, the kid's life is on your conscience. ;)

I think you should have kept the mission. Saves the children that way.

The children are carefully hand-picked from natural disaster heavy regions where they're highly unlikely to see adulthood anyway.

What is it with Bio Bio? Do they deliberately choose a different religion to be just so they get converted again and again and again? It's those damned Jesuits, isn't it?

Nah, this has been going on way longer than the Europeans have been around. And they're no different religion, so apparently they're converted from Inti to Inti. Well, whatever makes the rulers happy.

Yes, waiting for the heir to grow up until you can send him to fight several thousand rebels all on his own is rather tiresome. Waiting for a decent let's westernize heir would be ideal or better yet an uncle who already is of an age to rule and ADM 6+ borrows the crown, for a while.

Let's just say that if this was Crusader Kings, I would have changed the laws already. :D

Missions in EU3 (in general, but also in MEIOU) are some times a bit illogical: e.g. I first got the mission to arrange a marriage with Austria, then after completing it, I got "vassalize Austria" ... The other way round would have been more logical (and a step towards "diplo-annex").

I simply ignore them for most of them times.

Yeah sure, a lot of the time there's no sense in them, and/or the reward is too small to really care. I like to do them if I get the chance however.

Oh, and you asked about the slider positions earlier, so here they are at this point:

37_14.jpg

Actually, the mission kinda makes sense. You've met the Portuguese now, so presumably you know about ships, you just don't know how to make them. It's Cuzco's 'Sputnik moment'.

Makes sense, apart from the fact you can't really call it Cuzco's "Sputnik moment" if you can't really blame Cuzco/Inca Empire for not trying to begin with. And well, here's a mission in a computer game that I, as the player, can do absolutely nothing about, so in that sense it is kind of pointless. :D

I also like the fact that the minor panic about disappearing maize-producing provinces has now had a positive upside in the shape of the bonues for cacao and sugar.

Oh, it's always had a huge upside. After all, the cacao provinces produce a very good amount of income. The only reason that losing maize was a problem was the fact that I've been at or over the force limits pretty much since inheritance, so losing force limit bonuses was something I had to rectify.

Of course, the new producer bonus is a very nice addition.

Shame about the regency being Admin 5, somehow a lower score would have been more bearable. As it is you're so close! I hope Yahuar Hacuac likes going hunting.

Hehe, gotta hope so! :D And I've indeed been at ADM 5 for a while...

Lovely bit of dialogue between the priest and Tupac. Here is hoping for the next mission is one to 'See that your heir has an 'accident'/abdicates hurriedly'.

Glad that you liked it! I like to throw those conversations out there every now and then, so it's good to know that they're welcome. :)

I don't think MEIOU has such a mission - are you paying attention gigau? :rofl:

Ships? Funny gods you have. So fair and merciful!

Yeah, those are the exact adjectives I'd use at this point. :p

Chapter Thirty-five
1568-1576

May sees some more technological progress.

37_01.jpg

Four levels to go until the new Idea slot. That would be 15-20 years, but will be in the high end or probably more as we'll have to do some stability investment at some point when we switch to Merchant Adventures.

On the same day a huge batch of Marketplaces finish.

General Paullu dies in August. We're running low on generals and will have to recruit some soon.

Also in August, the Demonstrative Colony is gone. All 100 people sent to Tumaco died in just under a year. I wonder if our Colonization Company will have trouble attracting colonists because of this when we're doing it for real.

We hear some interesting news from Europe during the next year or so:

37_02.jpg

Go Mallorca! Hopp Schwiiz! :D The Swiss also vassalize Baden and force some releases off Bavaria on top of these, while Mallorca annexes Foix a bit later. They seem to be throwing everyone around.

In November 1569 it turns out that Statesman Auqui-Huaman is trying to take advantage of his position in the regency council and grab additional power. While he's a strong advisor, and we're thankful to him for organizing our new government type some 22 years ago, keeping him would be detrimental...

37_03.jpg

...so we have no option but to oust him. It gets out of hand:

37_04.jpg

Unfortunately, his replacement Zambiza Paucar is only a five-star.

With the death of the nicely named General Sotaurco in December 1570, I have no choice but to hire new ones. I'm lucky to get one with a maneuver pip in General Atoc.

Late June 1571 is a bit worrying.

37_05.jpg

I have no idea where this came from - has to be some event for them - but it drops relations from +30 to -120. Not that I'm scared, I don't think their military presence is very strong in these parts as they recently struggled to muster enough troops to handle two regiments of colonial rebels.

I suppose there's map spread in the beginning of September as everybody and their mother is sending requests for open market. Out of the dozens of requests, I pick one entirely in random to take a screenshot of.

37_06.jpg

...I'm not sounding convincing, am I? Oh and as you can see, unlike vanilla HTTT, MEIOU has Ulm in it!

I accept the requests, I'm no Japan after all. It's a bit taxing to click through all though.

However, I don't like the idea that all these guys know where I am but I only know five nations.

Government tech 12 is reached in May 1572.

37_07.jpg

I build Courthouses in ten provinces that seem like they'll continue to have RR as they're too expensive for major distribution. I might have to build a few more in South America eventually when I lose accepted cultures there. And of course more will be built if I end up swimming in money at some point.

It's a nice building with a multitude of effects, but the cost is high.

37_08.jpg

More great stuff to come out of Government 12 (Trade 10 is also needed): Post Offices.

37_09.jpg

Dirt cheap, and I'll be able to have plenty as I get so many magistrates. I immediately build them in my five best non-gold provinces when it comes to production. Guess where they are?

37_10.jpg

That's right, all in Mesoamerica. Shows that there are some pretty nice lands there. Of course, South America has way more gold to balance it out.

September has more great news on the conversion front.

37_11.jpg

Awesome. I love these former Maya lands that are so prosperous and so eager to go Inti and Quechua.

In April 1573 I decide to build a few more Marketplaces due to having a better amount of money again. I've been minting a bit more lately as getting rid of Bureaucracy will reduce the amount I can mint without inflation.

July sees around 4300 plague deaths in Tupiza. Hmm, it had been a while since the previous natural disaster deaths...

The damned Portuguese and their high naval tech level produces pirates in a mutual coastal province in May 1574. Fortunately they also take care of the situation.

We lose some Production Tech investment in August. It's not that important so it's a considerably better choice than the stab hit.

37_12.jpg

And finally, after some very quiet time, in May 1576 we end up two Government Tech levels away from the next Idea, with three advances in this update.

37_13.jpg

Ah the map spread. Portugal is telling everyone where uyou are, but your request for information about europe was met with a very dismissive rejection.

I am actually convinced Bio Bio is used by Inti missionaries as a training ground for new recruits.

I was sure Ulm has traded in Cuzco before now, but maybe it was one of the other German cities.

Good to see Burgundy and France humbled by Scwyz and Mallorca. Fear them, if they should build colonies in your part of the world.

How much longer until your "heir" becomes able to go off hunting alone?

Oh, and you asked about the slider positions earlier, so here they are at this point:

37_14.jpg
Thanks, they're more or less how I thought they would be.

Once you start to colonize seriously, don't forget to move towards "expansionism". One or two other sliders have an influence on colony growth too, but I'm too lazy to check it now.

And another question: do you want to let your land/naval-sliders stay like this for the rest of the game?

Yours,
AdL