• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You tease :rofl:

I deliberately keeping this vauge because we have no quams what so ever in ditching changes when our internal testing shows they don't work. Even if the idea sounds so cool on paper and will totally solve all problems. I really don't want to tell you we are doing this and then you all great this will totally make 1.2 rock. Only to then have to post later ok that idea was crap we cut it and then have to go into long posts explaining why.

Let's see, the eternal question what was Paradox upto last week on Victoria 2

Johan - Was off playing around the rebel and refrom system to get it working better
Doomdark - Spent some time improving the rebel fighting AI
Brother Bean - Adding Events and decision, plus fixing things here and there
Besuchov - Doing a whole of host of small fixes for minor issues
Me - Did various economic and tech tweaks to improve mid to late game economic balance.

This is good news. I really want to play this game again. I'm ready to come back to the game I was looking forward to all year. :)

Last edited:
I deliberately keeping this vauge because we have no quams what so ever in ditching changes when our internal testing shows they don't work. Even if the idea sounds so cool on paper and will totally solve all problems. I really don't want to tell you we are doing this and then you all great this will totally make 1.2 rock. Only to then have to post later ok that idea was crap we cut it and then have to go into long posts explaining why.

I understand and thank you for your hard work. But it was a tongue in cheek comment :p

But any idea if there will be a way of getting troops out of countries after a peace deal? I currency have 6 armies stuck in Switzerland and they won't come back to me and no chance of military access either :(.

This is good news. I really want to play this game again. I'm ready to come back to the game I was looking forward to all year. :)

This.
I've had fun playing around with the Netherlands and Prussia, taught me a lot about creating and maintaining colonial and land empires.
I'd like to give it another go with a country that is worse off, but with the new patch looming over the Horizon I keep telling myself to wait.
But I'm getting really itchy!

What I can say with absolute certainty that there will be no patch this week. Still doing stuff at the moment, trying to kill all the problems we know about (and not introduce any new ones) before we ship out a patch.

I know the word "unplayable" has been thrown around a lot so I won't use it. But warfare in the 1880s needs to be fixed because at present it is makes the game frustrating rather than fun.

I have raised this issue in the bug forum and in the regular forum and while most people seem to agree with me, I haven't heard much buzz regarding the issues of non-lethal warfare circa 1880s and enemies retreating into provinces they neither own nor occupy.

Some folks have said that all I have to do is surround the enemy. That's possible, but turns the game into a tedious click fest rather than make it fun. To make the point perfectly clear:

clickclickclick.jpg

To kill this otherwise insignificant single unit, I have to first block off all possible escape routes - 6 provinces in total - and then send in enough overwhelming force to ensure I actually win the battle. Let's count the number of mouse clicking I have to do:

CLICK PAUSE (add one to the end total, I forgot this)
1. click on unit A
2. click on divide unit
3. click on brigade to move to new army
4. click close [We now have Unit E]
5. click on unit B
6. repeat #2
7. repeat #3
8. repeat #4 [We now have Unit F]
9. click on unit C
10. repeat #2
11. repeat #3
12. repeat #4 [We now have Unit G]
13. click on unit A.
14. right click on province #6
15. click on unit B
16. right click on province #1
17. click on unit C
18. right click on province #4
19. click on unit G
20. right click on province #5
21. click on unit D
22. right click on province #2
23. click on unit E,
24. right click on province #1 [this unit will attack]
25. click on Unit F
26. Right click on province #6 [this unit will attack]
27. click (un)pause

Now *yawn* I have to wait until all those armies get into these provinces because if I engage the British army too soon, it will have to chance to retreat into one of those 6 "empty" provinces before my armies get there.

28. click pause
29. click on unit E
30. right click on enemy unit
31. click on unit F
32. right click on enemy unit
33. click on unit C
34. right click on enemy unit.
35. click (un)pause

36 clicks to kill a single unit in a useless strategic backwater.

Now this single British unit is finally dead I have a bunch of little annoying single brigade units. I'm going to want to form them into some sort of army.

What if you're the type of player who likes to have his armies built intelligently and with a purpose - i.e., not a random assortment of cavalry, infantry, and artillery? That means more click, click, click, click, click, click click, click, click, clicking to put them back together.

Nor is that all. The British have a lot of units:

clickclick.jpg

573 brigades? Not fun!

Now, I could live with the irritation of single enemy units fleeing all over the map if troops died in combat after 1880. The alternative to the above scenario I pointed out is to just send all the units against the enemy unit and simply wipe it out with overwhelming force. But, because troops don't die, after 11 days the enemy will always retreat with green organization and 1% casualties.

Because troops don't die in 1880s combat, it once again drains the fun out of the game. Consider this battle in India:

dontdie.jpg

This battle actually started before 30 March 1885 (the British army is in yellow); it just happens to be the first date I have a screenshot of it. And here's another screenshot two years later:

dontdie2.jpg

Over two years later!! The British never reinforced this army; they lost just 16! Not only that the entire Northern Indian plain is filled with battles against troops that have been in constant combat for over two years. Nobody ever dies :(

Of another note, I just realized I lost over 1 million pounds in those two years! This war should be long over :mad:

And, I'll bet dollars to dollars (or euros to euros :D) this is a HUGE reason for the rebel mess. Check this out:

dontdie3.jpg

Unlike the AI, I actually build lots of armies. Just in this sceenshot alone, I have 10 armies with 40+ score - this screenshot contains more armies than every other nation on earth except the UK - and STILL the rebels are taking over my provinces. They don't die. I outnumber them 42-3 and they still take over a month to die. I have armies off-screen in Italy, the Low Countries, Spain fighting rebels who don't die. If I can't kill rebels with my hordes of armies, it is no wonder why I always see Mexico, Russia, Austria, Egypt, etc. always controlled by rebels!

Now, I know you guys are working hard on the issues King mentioned, but please please please tell me 1.2 will do something about soldiers not dying in 1880s warfare.

I have spent hours and hours on this game and sometimes have played until 3:00 AM. I really want to like this game - I loved Vikki 1. But I can't deal with it anymore.

What I can say with absolute certainty that there will be no patch this week. Still doing stuff at the moment, trying to kill all the problems we know about (and not introduce any new ones) before we ship out a patch.

Sad news, but nice to know. Would have been nice to have it for the Labor Day weekend.

Thanks for the update. I find even knowing it's not going to be out this week preferable to knowing nothing at all about when it's coming out.

I agree: thanks for the information and updates about the patch. I have been following the patch news because I think I will get the game when patch 1.2 comes out :D

So thanks for posting an update for the patch timetable, and thanks for making that news easy to see!

Wow Zeppelin - combat system sure looks pretty BROKE to me in the 1880's, I've never got that far yet in any V2 game (I'm upgrading my PC this week so not much game time lately). Hope 1.2 fixes this or yet another Paradox game goes back on my 'virtual shelf'.

The thing about late game combat is that while it's all well and fine to simulate the lengthy nature of advances in the period, it really did come at a cost of millions in dead lives. After four years of war, for example, both the allies and central powers were scraping the bottom of the barrel to find more soldiers. That should be represented.

The thing about late game combat is that while it's all well and fine to simulate the lengthy nature of advances in the period, it really did come at a cost of millions in dead lives. After four years of war, for example, both the allies and central powers were scraping the bottom of the barrel to find more soldiers. That should be represented.

It would be even nice if soldier POP growth should depend on the war exhaustion. The bigger, the smaller the chance of POPs converting to soldiers.

I completely understand that PI wants to polish all corners before throwing patch out and that i respect (like some other companies that shall be unnamed and as anoying as activision for braking their games even more) but i have been w8 like 2weeks allready and not playing (dont have time to check usermods and they most likely compromise with patching) so atleast some dates or something could be nice

Could you add a button "Subsidize all factories"?

It's needed because it's annoying to click all >100 factories after switching from Liberals to a Conservative government.

Could you add a button "Subsidize all factories"?

It's needed because it's annoying to click all >100 factories after switching from Liberals to a Conservative government.

If such button is needed, than the game economy is clearly broken :-/

If such button is needed, than the game economy is clearly broken :-/

Not really; if he builds all his factories, and doesn't want to make any of them have a risk of failing, it makes sense for him to want that button.

thx for the update King, can't wait to put my hand on a CSA game :D

Status
Not open for further replies.