• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I would ask Mr. Carlsson and Rep. Gallatin what their general platforms are, before I can cast vote.

I propose a quick end to the war -no less than my full term- and a conciliatory peace treaty that heals the rifts between Germany and the US. For that matter we must occupy Germany, to ensure a proper return to democracy and a proper "denazification" (a term I invented) takes place under international vigilance from the Allies. I am also VERY open to suggestions in a glorious UNITY GOVERNMENT where we can all discuss all the little details.

I remind the voters that I advocate for PEACE, and my denazification will not mean the persecution of those who think differently, but rather a long process to calm radical nationalism and bitterness between our nations.

Also I propose we start talking about encouraging brilliant scientists minds that are currently forced to work against democracy by the Reich, so that we can legislate to encourage dissidents to help the Allies. We could benefit from them.

I do not oppose the United Nations and I will support it if congress decides it is the wisest choice.

((Sorry, BBB, but announcing that you're reversing a major party plank on your own should probably come with some kind of, you know, reaction. Plus it happened super-fast.))

While it is unfortunate that Senator Emerson feels that I have somehow established myself as a dictatorial figure within the Progressive Party, I fear that this has less to do with reality than he might otherwise believe. I spoke, as is my right as a leading member of this party, against President McCahill's reckless interventionist stance and his proposed United Nations, using nothing more than my considered opinion and expertise after eight years in the State Department. If President McCahill truly believed himself a Progressive, truly upheld our platform and our position, he would not have accepted my invitation to resign from the party, which was nothing more than my personal opinion on what he should do. He would have challenged me for party leadership, would have asserted his right to change our platform. But he did none of those things, and this proves that he had no true convictions regarding our party or its beliefs. At no point did I use the resources of this party to enforce my thoughts on the subject; I merely spoke, as any man of principle would do, and President McCahill fled our party with only the most basic protest.

Senator Emerson's call on the convention floor, his disgusting attempt to paint me as a fascist when I myself was in Washington during the bloody events of the Grand Coup, targeted by fascist assassins, his deluded efforts to cast me as some kind of tyrant, are all nothing more than an attempt to engineer a further divide in this party and drive up support for the President, a jingoistic rallying cry with no truth to support it. He speaks only in broad generalities about my supposed tyranny because there are no facts to back up his position, no substance to form its core.

I do not deny that the world has changed in many frightening ways since the formation of this party. The rise of international fascism is a grave threat not just to America but to all civilized people on this planet, a movement that embodies all that is evil in human nature. I agree with the unfortunate necessity of international unity and military action to end this scourge, but not with the effort by the President to diplomatically entrench America in Europe and across the world. There is a great danger in this proposed course of action, one that will entangle our country in the affairs of nations across both oceans, one that will associate the actions of foreign government with our own.

It would have been very easy to stand aside and allow Phillip McCahill to resurrect the Federal Party within the Progressives without comment, to live out my comfortable retirement without speaking against his proposed United Nations. But we must differentiate between the necessities of war and the goals of peace; perhaps four years under constant siege has blinded the President to the danger of his actions, to the prospect of a world after this war. Ultimately, however, we must withdraw America from Europe and Asia following the destruction of the fascists, lest we be perpetually bound to these ancient continents and their enmities, a cost that will be paid by our working men and their families.

I understand that the Progressive Chairman believes that I left the party of my own accord; the truth is that his comments made my position untenable and as such I had no choice. In reality, I was pushed.

It seems Mr. Gallatin has a broad base of support across the Republican Party.

((Hello all, been away for awhile due to my lack of internet for 8 months, am slightly out of the times, but that can be rectified :D)).

New Character

Name: Sam G. Écossais
Birth: 1918 (age 22)
Bio: Grandson of the disgraced Former Secretary of Defense Seamus Écossais, Sam is currently serving as Congressman of the Nevada's 1st Congressional District. He is an "Hawkish Liberal" under the same auspices of his humiliated grandfather and his unknown father.

((Glad to be back, and too bad, I was going to try something dark with fascism, but oh well :laugh:))

((Hello all, been away for awhile due to my lack of internet for 8 months, am slightly out of the times, but that can be rectified :D)).

New Character

Name: Sam G. Écossais
Birth: 1918 (age 22)
Bio: Grandson of the disgraced Former Secretary of Defense Seamus Écossais, Sam is currently serving as Congressman of the Nevada's 1st Congressional District. He is an "Hawkish Liberal" under the same auspices of his humiliated grandfather and his unknown father.

((Glad to be back, and too bad, I was going to try something dark with fascism, but oh well :laugh:))

((Welcome back! :D ))

Greetings, Congressman Écossais; I hope we can work well together over these next years.

Again, not a single vote :( It seems peace is far away for the world.

Polls are Closed.

The Progressive Candidate will be Michael Sullivan.
The Republican Candidate will be William Gallatin.
The Independent Candidate will be Phillip McCahill (Federal).

Send platforms to me ASAP.

((The Progressive Convention should be amazing...))

Damn! I hope my pro-peace work as Vicepresident and former Secretary of State isn't forgotten under the new candidates..

((Never done anything like this before, new character to both the Vicky 2 AAR community and this thread. Looking forward to it. Hope I did this right.))

New Character

Name: Carl G. Markus
Birth: 1900 (age ~40) ((Not sure of exact year))
Bio: Senator of Kansas. Very far left radical ideals.

Welcome, Senator Markus.

((It's Dec 1940, I believe))

The Presidential Election of 1941

On the first day of the National Conventions of 1940, the election seemed to be forming into the least controversial and hotly contested since the upset victory of the Progressives and subsequent decade of crisis. Both the Republican and Progressive leadership and prospective candidates had stated a willingness to continue the 1937 Unity Government, and the platforms of the two candidates most likely to gain their parties’ nominations were laid on essentially the same framework. What smashed the hope for the first simple election since 1925 was the intervention of Michael Sullivan.
Disappointed by President McCahill’s interventionist stance on foreign policy, and his proposition for a “United Nations,” Sullivan held a speech on December 2nd denouncing McCahill as a traitor to the Progressive Party’s ideals, and announcing his candidacy. Before a long and drawn out battle for the nomination could arise, McCahill announced his departure from the Progressive Party. The latter announcement was followed by the most enduring image of the 1941 elections, of Senator Calvin Emerson walking out of the convention at the head of a column of representatives from numerous states.

cemerson.jpg

1. Calvin Emerson delivers his speech to the Progressive National Convention.
It was these representatives who on December 5th offered President McCahill the nomination of their new party; the Liberal Party of the United States, or as they were sometimes known colloquially, New Federals. Dedicated to the President’s ideals of international cooperation and sensible regulation, the Liberal Party was now squarely locked in a battle against the Progressive Party for control of government, with the Republicans and their candidate, William Gallatin, forced to act as mediator in between no matter who won the election.
Whether or not the idea of unity government would last through the election was still in question, but there was no longer a doubt in anyone’s mind that it would not survive the end of the war. And the election that was supposed to be the beginning of a new era of political good-feeling became the stage for one of the most bitter candidate rivalries in history. The question on the mind of political experts however, was not the President’s opinion of Michael Sullivan, but rather his ability to use his performance in the past four years and to convince the American people sufficiently of the need for intervention to secure a second term.

The Candidates/Tickets of 1941

Election Manifesto of the Liberal Party

Presidential Candidate: Philip McCahill​

My domestic platform stands largely unchanged from four years ago. This stems from an honest belief in the desirability of those policies. They are policies that will improve the quality of life of all Americans. They are policies that will enable responsible and efficient government. They are policies that will facilitate the continued prosperity of the American people. Should the war end within this term, I will implement them with all conviction.

However, the focus of the next government must be totally based on the successful conclusion of this terrible war against those who will do all they can to suppress the liberty of the peoples of the world. Until such a time as Herr Hitler has been swept out of Germany, until such a time as the Emperor in Japan no longer terrorizes the Pacific, until such a time as Brazil and Italy and all the other states that profess the cruel and disgusting doctrine of fascism have reformed their ways, I will put my entire focus on this war. My administration has defeated the fascists who threatened us from inside; together, we will defeat the fascists who threaten the World.

Economic Policies
• The continuation of industrial stimulus to boost the economy, until such a time as the recovery is secure.
• An increase in capital expenditure to boost the economy; such as a project to create 'motorways' to connect our major cities.
• An increase in regulation where necessary to ensure the economy is never in danger of such a serious recession again; such as the creation of mandatory capital buffers for retail and investment banking.
• The provision of tax cuts for loans to small to medium businesses, which will help promote growth.
• The continuation of progressive taxation polices.
• The creation of the Find Work Bureau, to be part of the National Public Works Administration.

Domestic Policies
• The support of all legislation passed during war-time until their expiration.
• The introduction of a national curriculum, which will define the subjects all schools will teach in detail, allowing the standard and relevancy of qualifications to be maintained and children not to be taught inflammatory or untrue information as fact.
• The provision of free school meals.
• The creation of more soup kitchens and open beds.
• The creation of independent inspectorates for public services (schools, hospitals, the police etc) to maintain standards and ensure your tax dollars are well spent.
• The provision of free emergency healthcare.
• The introduction of means testing to benefits, to ensure the money goes where it is needed.
• The provision of extra benefits to single parents with dependent children.
• The reform of the civil service to increase speed and lower costs.
• The creation of all party congressional commissions to tackle governmental waste and to investigate political reform.
• The introduction of minimum standards to schemes, with funding cut to those schemes which are under performing or wasting money.

Foreign Policy
• Positive diplomacy to encourage more countries to join the struggle against fascism and as such the possible extension of NATO.
• Aid to the governments of countries under threat from Fascism, whether at war with a Fascist power or not.
• Aid to resistance movements in occupied countries.

Military Policy
• The construction of more submarines and destroyers, and the phasing out of service of the majority of our battleships, over the next decade, in line with the recommendations of the Admiralty.
• The pursuance of the latest military technology, and increased spending on projects worthy of support.
• The pursuance of military strategy already discussed in depth with the Department of Defense.

War Aims
• The defeat of Germany, Japan, Brazil and Italy.
• The limitation of terms imposed on the defeated powers, such as the prevention of reparations.
• The occupation of the defeated powers to support democratically elected governments and the rule of law, until such a time when they no longer need our support in these aims.
• Self-determination for the peoples of Europe, Asia and South America.
• The foundation of a United Nations to enable global cooperation, protect the peoples of the World and help prevent armed conflict.

Election Manifesto of the Republican Party

Presidential Candidate: William Gallatin​

My fellow Americans, we stand at a time when many ideologies are being tested both in the fires of war and in the hearts and minds of people of all nations. We see the grief brought on by extremists - men who promised everything but brought only war and suffering for their people and innocent nations around them. This is not the path we choose, and if elected I will work wholeheartedly to keep us from this suffering. As Americans, I believe we can refute the calls to extremism, and continue to support free markets, trade speech, government - and most importantly free hearts and minds - at home and abroad.

Domestic Affairs and the War Effort:

- We will continue to support that which has made America strong and great - education, free markets, free trade, and many other freedoms and opportunities which support the common man. We will not turn to the models of extremists who call for the suppression of these freedoms and these opportunities in the name of security, comfort, or a hollow peace.
- We shall strive to continue the war effort smoothly until victory is achieved and the threat of these fascist empires is eliminated.
- In this, we will act fairly in conquered territories and avoid unnecessary destruction while doing everything necessary to end the war.
- At home we request the cooperation without coercion of the public and industry to avoid harm to the war effort.
- Influence must be exerted in the economy to avoid shortages, panics, and other problems - but we will avoid overly extending ourselves in the attempt to follow the Communist and Fascist models. We reject the notion that a nation prospers from the micromanagement of a centralized controlling government, as the Communists proclaim, or from the lust of war, conquest, and state power that the Fascists desire. Our message is that governments and markets can and must coexist, and that a balance must be made to sustain and protect a free market without dictating or controlling. Our markets and industry are our bulwark in this war, keeping our soldiers well prepared and provided for in their struggles against the enemy. By keeping our industry strong, we will keep our army strong as well.

Foreign Affairs:

- We will meet as soon as possible with Britain and our other allies - as well as likeminded but non-aligned or non-fighting nations - to discuss a coordinated and thought out plan for peace - one that ensures a lasting peace, deposes the extremists and warmongering governments of our enemies, and is fair to the people of all nations involved (including those of our enemies).
- We will stick to this plan of peace to bring about a fair and free series of treaties, when the time comes, steering away any confusion or petty politics like those which doomed the last peace.
- We will support the formation of new methods for the nations of the world to discuss issues and coordinate efforts against natural and man-made disasters - not a world government or coalition, but a place for nations to deal peacefully with their grievances and the grievances of others around them. The new governments of the nations now our enemies will be included in this. This is our answer to extremism - whether it is the Communists, who desire a world with one central authority, or the Fascists, who see their neighbors only as targets to bully and conquer.

Political Affairs:

- We extend the offer of a unity government to other parties in the American system, and will keep as many of the old appointments as possible to ensure a smooth transition of government.
- We will focus on compromise and continuity in maintaining a unified and unhindered front against extremism abroad and at home. This is our political answer to the controlling party of Communism and the fear and propaganda of Fascism - our system is built on the peaceful transition of authority, the unity of opposing groups without coercion, and the freedom to voice our opinions. These make a nation strong.

Election Manifesto of the Progressive Party

Presidential Candidate: Michael Sullivan​

When I first ran for President of the United States in 1921, I did so because my convictions demanded that someone make the principled arguments necessary to keep America free and prosperous. In 1921, I fought against unregulated capitalism and an out-of-control economy that everyone else on the political landscape had decided to take for granted, an attitude that led directly to the Great Depression. I fought for civil rights and forced the mainstream candidates to adopt positions on the Jim Crow laws plaguing the South. I fought for the rights of the American working man, who I believed was being crushed underfoot by the unrestrained might of the corporate tycoons. I formed the Progressive Party to do all these things and it has carried the torch of progress for the last twelve years, helping America endure a stock market crash, a fascist coup, and our new Great War.

Now I return from my comfortable retirement because President Phillip McCahill, a man who campaigned on Progressive principles and won his first term with Progressive support, has abandoned what our party stands for and revealed that he never truly held our beliefs in the first place. His public statements indicate that he'd much rather belong to the Federal Party, a long-dead organization that stood for unbridled militarism and imperial ambition. He wants to use this Second Great War to entangle our great nation in the ancient feuds and conflicts of Europe, to establish a global military presence for the United States only previously dreamed of under James Harrison. I won't stand for this distasteful goal and I don't believe America will either!

If elected, I will pursue a swift and righteous peace in Europe, in South America, and in Asia. I will see the criminals in Berlin and Tokyo and Rio de Janeiro brought to justice, their totalitarian regimes toppled and replaced with new democracies. And then I will ensure that America's focus returns home, to its people, where it truly belongs. With our work done abroad, we can ensure the domestic pursuit of greater equality and justice, with our only foreign concerns being peaceful commerce with all nations and entangling alliances with none.

I call upon the people of the United States to vote Progressive once again, to ensure the prosperity of a post-war America is not marred by the rise of an all-consuming military-industrial complex and to ensure that this will be the last time American blood is shed on foreign soil.

----------------------------

Exceptional Situation(s):

Vote.