• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Presidential Election of 1917

The National Conventions of 1916 were all about the post-war world, but most importantly the United States’ role in it. In the Republican Primary, there were no doubts about the identity of the party’s nominee. In two ballots it was decided that Joseph Jarvis, the heart and soul of the isolationist movement, would challenge the Federal nominee. That nominee though, would not be the president Jarvis had acted as opposition to for the last four years.
Kevin McCahill entered the Federal National Convention without too many expectations, treating the race as essentially a way to raise support for his nomination in the next election cycle. However, when the first ballot came up as a minor victory, McCahill threw himself headfirst into the race. Presenting himself as the harbinger of the League of Nations, and figurehead of a new post-war Federal Party, McCahill secured the nomination on the nineteenth ballot.

mccahill1917.jpg

1. Kevin McCahill, Federal Party Presidential Candidate of 1917.​

Both McCahill and Jarvis faced the same problem in their campaigns; the American people’s thirst for a crueler peace treaty than that proposed by either candidate. As the campaign season continued, such demands became more and more vocal with the increasing rate of soldiers returning home on long leave or for good. Both candidates’ peace plans however, were overtaken by events in Europe.
Eastern Europe imploded in the winter of 1916-17, beginning with the Ottoman Empire. On December 3rd, with the Austro-Hungarian army in shambles, making Austrian intervention an impossibility for the first time in history, Serbian troops marched across the Ottoman border into Bosnia. Three days later, in Sarajevo, these troops presided over Bosnian nationalists’ creation of a government for the Province of Bosnia-Herzegovina. The Serbo-Bosnian Act of Union 1916 laid the foundation for the Serbian Federation, later known as Yugoslavia.
The Ottoman Empire, still reeling from the absolute devastation wreaked on its army and economy by its short but brutal war against Russia [1], failed to react, thus de facto recognizing the Bosnian secession. Emboldened by the victory, Serbian troops headed southward, intending to oversee similar acts of secession in Southern Serbia and Macedonia, while the tiny Montenegrin army moved out of its borders, intending to gain land with which to strengthen their position in the inevitable negotiations over a Serbian offer to join the Federation. Meanwhile, Albanian and Bulgarian nationalists began to take action as Greek troops crossed the Empire’s southern European border at Larissa.

serbiantroops.jpg

2. Serbian troops enter Sarajevo.​

The Albanian and Bulgarian declarations of independence, on December 17th and 18th respectively, proved to be the last encouragement needed by nationalists in the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Croatia left first, declaring its independence on December 21st, intending to back the declaration up with previously promised Serbian support, which came with the Serbian occupation of parts of Southern Hungary in early January. By then however, the Czechs and Slovaks had already declared their independence, intending to up the chances for survival by forming a federal government between the two upstart nations.
The most significant development in 1916 for the Austro-Hungarian collapse though, was the Italian spurning of the Peace of Trieste. King Emmanuel’s army marched into Venice on December 17th, intending to secure Italian control of all the territories claimed in 1905, and eventually even the western coast of the Adriatic. Vienna, preoccupied with increasing unrest in the core territories of Austria and Hungary themselves, responded with a similar shrug as that of the Ottomans to what was happening in the Balkans.
The collapse of the Balkan situation, which accelerated on December 25th with eastern Romania’s declaration of independence, as the Republic of Siebenburgen, however, was nothing compared to the storm brewing in Russia. The descent into madness began properly the day after the armistice was announced, as one of the many protests against the Czar’s regime, which had been mounting in size and frequency since the end of the Battle of Besancon, turned violent. The crowd, egged on by Vladimir I. Lenin, head of the revolutionary movement known as the Bolsheviks, began to throw rocks at the soldiers guarding the gates to the Winter Palace.

lenind.jpg

3. Lenin, at a rally in February 1917.​

The guards failed to respond to orders to shoot at the protesters, instead choosing to go with the crowd and open the doors to the palace. This began the Battle of the Winter Palace, where loyal guardsmen clashed with the protesters and revolting guards inside the palace in an attempt to buy time for the royal family to escape form the Palace, and eventually St. Petersburg. The guardsmen, though killed to the last man, were successful in delaying the revolutionaries, and in doing so gave a rallying beacon to the reaction that formed against the revolution the battle had started.
The capture of the Winter Palace was indeed followed by a revolution, as military units in major cities joined protesters in the overthrow of the Czar’s government. In the countryside however, and in military units close to the Empire’s borders, loyalty to the Czar proved to be more common. Likely this would have killed the revolution in its crib, as the latter group counted for a much larger portion of the people and military, but more than half the “loyalists” proved to reject the Czar too.
Their reasoning was that Nicholas III was too weak a Czar, and his cousin, Alexander of Muscovy, deserved the throne more. Seeing the revolution as definitive proof of Nicholas’ unworthiness, the “Alexandrists” declared the Duke of Muscovy Czar on January 2nd 1917. There was now a three-way civil war in Russia, between the Czarists, based in Nizhny, the Alexandrists, based in Minsk, and the Soviets, based in Moscow and St. Petersburg [2]. This in turn prompted nationalist movements in Russia to seek independence, most notably in Ukraine and Poland.
Finland was the first to go, declaring independence as soon as December 6th. Of the three factions, only the Soviets had recognized Finnish independence by January 1st of the following year. Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan and the Baltic States all followed suit on December 15th 1916. The Russians, embroiled in their burgeoning civil war, continued to do nothing.
Ukraine and Poland had tougher roads to independence, as their claims included land not part of the Russian Empire. Ukraine declared independence on December 23rd, and prepared to secure it through fire and blood, the new provisional government pulling out all the stops to create a militia force around the core of Ukrainian military defectors. The new Ukrainian Army’s first operation was to capture Austro-Hungarian eastern Ruthenia, cut off from the central government in Vienna by the new nation of Czechoslovakia.
An unintended consequence of Ukrainian independence was the Republic of Crimea, formed from the peninsula that had been cut off from Russia by Ukraine’s independence. The Republic only survived a short time, becoming the Kingdom of Crimea in 1920, after a Ukrainian invasion installed the cousin of Ukraine’s king, Symon I, as monarch of the Crimea. The former Republic then became essentially a federal province of Ukraine.

symoni.jpg

4. Symon Petliura, AKA Symon I of Ukraine.​

Poland declared its independence on January 12th 1917, the declaration created by a committee in Warsaw a day earlier. Similar to Ukraine, the government drummed up a militia army over a core of defectors, but the Polish Army would actually have to fight for independence, as the new nation’s eastern borders were mere miles from Minsk, and its prospective western borders in eastern Germany. Poland’s declaration of independence was the last before Election Day in the US, and the question was no longer how to treat the nation’s vanquished enemies, but what to do about their collapse. Would the United States sit back and let Eastern Europe tear itself apart, or make its voice heard?

[1] – The Ottoman Empire had declared war on Russia in February 1915, on the insistence of the British. In the 18-month long war, 70% of the Ottoman Army was killed, captured or wounded. When the armistice was announced, including a promise to Russia of free access for its troops, British divisions from Egypt marched into, and occupied, Ottoman territory south of the “Dortyol-Silopi Line”. The British presented the occupation as a “temporary security measure”.

[2] – The name “Soviets” came from the Workers’ Soviets founded by revolutionaries to replace Czarist government, which would eventually create the base for the Soviet Union.

-----------------------

Exceptional Situation(s):

Hope you got all that.

Voting time.

This great storm cloud that hangs over Europe is most troublesome... My natural instinct is to allow Europe to solve itself; however, we are a key reason for all of this happening. In the Balkans, I say we should support a Yugoslavian federation, with each member state being largely free, with the key binding coming from free trade and mutual protection pacts between the member states. With that, we ensure the hegemony of the Balkans, freedom for minorities, a stable, free republic, and America will not be forced to stay longer than necessary. With the Austrians weakened, we can perhaps push for more liberalization than I initially expected; the same could possibly be said for Germany. Russia however, is a different beast altogether. I do not like these Soviets, and Nicholas III is a tyrant; however, I know nothing of this Alexander or his supporters, despite my visits to Russia in the past. Concerning them, I believe we should lend our moral, and possibly financial, support to the group that seems most keen on liberalizing and democratizing Russia. However, my concerns then turn to another faction taking control in spite of our support, which could tarnish our relations with Russia for decades to come.

I will shortly be announcing my views on the shape and direction of Europe, and the upcoming peace negotiations, in a few days. I ask for all Americans, Republican and Federal, in assisting me in crafting a fair deal for all sides involved.

And for those who are wondering, my running mate is the moderate Simon von Ritter. I chose him specifically so that he would more balance the ticket, and provide useful insight on military aspects, such as funding, organisation, and the like, during my administration.

A vote for the Federal Party is one for fairness, security and prosperity at home and abroad.

Domestic Policies
  • We are committed to low taxes and the creation of a committee of experts for simplification of the tax code
  • To ensure that all children get a fair start in life, we support the creation of a National Curriculum and increased educational investment
  • To help those who cannot support themselves, we will continue support for the unemployed, elderly and disabled
  • To ensure no workers are exploited and put in danger, we advocate tighter enforcement of safety regulations
  • We will cut the defence budget to return the armed forces back to pre-war sizes
  • To ensure that our citizens' right to life is ensured and nobody dies because they cannot afford to be saved, we support emergency healthcare being provided for those unable to pay
  • We will repeal all temporary legislation introduced during the war, eg conscription

Foreign Policies
  • We support free trade, liberty, and a fair and stable world based on negotiation and democratic principles
  • We will continue support for the Commonwealth of Nations to work together toward these goals
  • We are committed to joining the League of Nations to further fair international discussion and negotiation as an alternative to war and imperialism

Peace Aims and Action Plan for Europe
  • Democratisation of Germany, Russia, Austria, Chile and all new states based on universal suffrage to elect a government.
  • The independence or self-government of all German, Russian and Austrian territories outside of Europe (excluding Asian Russia).
  • The establishment of a League of Nations, which will oversee plebiscites and the transition of colonies and which all signatories must join.
  • No one party is to be held responsible for the war, nor is any money to be demanded of the losing side.
  • All signatories of the peace treaty must be included in any peace negotiations.
  • Plebiscites in Germany on state-wide levels with three options; join neighbouring country (eg Lorraine to France), independence or remain in Germany.
  • Recognition of all new states (Yugoslavia, Baltic states (Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania), Georgia, Armenia, Romania, Albania, Bulgaria, Poland, Ukraine, Finland, Czechoslovakia etc)
  • Independence for Hungary
  • No intervention in the Russian civil war

It is based on these principles I wish to form the next government, so I recommend you cast your ballot for me, Kevin McCahill, and my running mate, Alicia Vallejo, of the Federal Party

--------------------------------

Regarding the current situation in Europe, I do not propose intervening in any uprisings of the people against the governments of eastern Europe, as much of these rebellions have pre-empted my plans in Europe, and as such I would like to extend our support to the new republics. Ideally this would be done through the League of Nations, but I acknowledge there may be need to act more swiftly in the unlikely event they are threatened. The first course of action should be to formally recognise these new countries and send embassy staff immediately to set up efficient, fair, democratic (and favourable) institutions.
I do not propose any follies in Russia; Napoleon taught us not to treat the wilds of the Bear lightly. Even monetary involvement would be rash. We should play with the hand we are dealt, not fiddle the cards, as we may find we have miscounted.
I still support plebiscites in the German states, especially those near borders, like Alsace, Lorraine and North Schleswig, but oppose monetary punishments and knee-jerk reactions to the end of the war.

((When you say you will announce your views in a few days, I assume this is real days, because in story it is polling day...))

Last edited:
((Actually got it done fairly soon!))

Any suggestions are welcome, as these are only my early thoughts on it.

American Peace Proposals
On Austria
- Will cede rightful territories to Italy; however, Italian expansionism into proper Austrian or Yugoslavian lands is prohibited.
- Plebiscite of independence for regions such as Hungary, et al.
- Plebiscite of democracy, or democratic reforms, for Austria and for aforementioned regions voting on independence.
- Will recognise the independence of both the Czechs and Slovaks, with those new countries borders being determined by plebiscite and international rulings (Austria, Germany, France, Britain, and America as the mediator).
- Will recognise independence of Romanian lands, and have plebiscite for Romanian lands still in Austrian possession.
- Will hold plebiscite of independence in Polish possessions, alongside Russia and Germany.
- Will liberate any colonial holdings.
- Will sign non aggression pacts with Yugoslavia, the Ottoman State, and all states declaring independence from Austria for a period of no less than fifteen years.

On the Balkans
- A Yugoslavian state shall be established.
- Member states include, but not limited to, Bosnia, Serbia, Croatia, Macedonia, Montenegro, and Albania.
- Yugoslavia will sign non aggression pacts with Austria, the Ottoman State, and Greece for a period no shorter than fifteen years, to ensure stability comes to all four nations.

On Germany
- Will hold plebiscite of independence in Polish lands, alongside Austria and Russia.
- Will hold plebiscite of democratic reforms.
- Will sign non aggression pact with Britain, France, the Low Countries, Austria, and Poland (should such a country form), for a period of no less than fifteen years.
- Will liberate any colonial holdings.

On Russia (will likely be revised considering current political instability)
- Will hold plebiscite of independence for Poland, alongside Germany and Austria.
- Will hold plebiscite of independence for Ukrainian lands, Belarus, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Georgia, Armenia, et al.
- Will hold plebiscite of democratic reforms.
- Will sign non aggression pacts with Poland, Britain, the Ottoman State, Ukraine, Romania, and other states declaring independence from Russia, for a period of no less than fifteen years.
- Will recognize the sovereignty of Finland, and sign a non aggression pact for a period no less than fifteen years.

Blanket proposals
- League of European States will be formed; Britain, France Germany, Italy, Austria, and Russia will be key states; other states, such as Belgium, Spain, Denmark, et al, can join at their own discretion.
- The League will promote European unity and free trade, and will resolve European affairs without warfare.
- Colonial possessions of imperial powers will be granted more autonomy (as well as Ireland).

American Foreign Policy during Jarvis Administration
- Opposition to war.
- Indifference to League of Nations, opposition to American joining, not necessarily to involvement (that is, America will be free from the League, but can act in collusion as needed).
- American military will be reduced somewhat (Army reduced, Air Force maintained, Navy maintained).
- Push for universal free trade.
- Constitutional amendment abolishing the Draft.

American Domestic Policy during Jarvis Administration
- Cut spending by fifty percent (from the military, social spending, and social programmes).
- Support flat of ten to fifteen percent.
- Support worker safety reforms, and unemployment aid,
- Oppose government run or funded healthcare, government pensions, and other programmes (not ended per se, but reduced and streamlined).
- Streamline bureaucracy.
- End the Federal Reserve.
- Support private or localised education, move towards a voucher system, but maintain some public schools where needed.
- Repeal of all wartime legislation that expanded government power.
- Oppose government regulation of business.
- Support conservationism; expand national park system, promote tourism.

Last edited:
((I hope I may rejoin the game, also with such a different history does anyone else find it odd that Vladimir Lenin would still exist? ))
New Character
Name: Bartholemew Little
Born: 1885
Appearence:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ab/George_Henry_White.jpg
History: Son of a Slave from Georgia Bartholemew, or "Bart" as his friends would call him excelled at Academics and graduated top of his class at his segregated highschool, unable to find a college that would except him he moved north to Massachusetts and got into one of the few racially desgregated universities at the time "Boston University." Graduating with excellent marks he became a Defense attorney defending people of color who he beleives to had been wronged by a system he described as "Racist and unfair". Becoming famous for his protesting of the enlistment of "colored" battalions in the war he decided to run for the house of representatives winning by a small margin and becoming one of the first black members of Congress. An independent he would support whichever party he viewed to be moving towards equality for all people.

Federal

Do not, people of America, I beg you do not, allow the Republicans to dissolve the system of welfare which has been built and does, and will serve the nation so well.

Last edited:
I would like to ask the presidential candidates what they would do for the well-being of people of color currently living under the oppression of the Jim Crow laws.

Jarvis

It seems war in Europe has not ended.

Can we get a world map please?

Last edited:
I am a strong supporter of civil rights. My grandfather, when serving as Secretary of State for Texas, was an ardent supporter of Texas entering the Union as a free state, and had one of the best anti slavery records of any politician. Not only that, he pushed for better treatment of Indians and other minorities. From him, I have learned to always support the smallest minority, to ensure that no one is oppressed by the state. While I do not support government going in and forcing businesses to change policy, I do support using the laws already in place to overturn such laws, and using my judiciary appointments as a key tool in reversing such slideback to the antebellum South.

And, unlike my opponent, who will say that the government will provide for coloreds and other minorities, I reject that notion, since it says, perhaps not openly, that they are unable to provide for themselves. Instead, I will grant them the same opportunity to succeed as any white man, and will support their political rights in every way I can, without stepping over my Constitutional bounds.

One other thing I want to mention, is this constant statement that I will dissolve the welfare state. I want to say, that that is absolutely true. I oppose the idea of government providing a person, from cradle to grave, everything they need, for under such a system, why would they have any desire to create, to innovate, to strive for more? When all they need is given to them for nothing? Instead, I support a system that will help those not helped by capitalism. Not once have I stated my opposition to unemployment benefits, or to safety reform; only to welfare programmes that I feel only feed the addiction to government money, which is itself theft from other citizens of this great nation.

Last edited:
Why do you want to vote Republican? Look at the record of it's candidate, myself.

Over the past two years, I have been a Senator from my beloved home state of California. I served as Vice President of this nation not four years ago. Prior to that, I was Secretary of the Treasury during a time of growth and prosperity. I served three solid terms as Governor of California, one of our largest states, and all twelve years I balanced the budget and reduced both spending and taxes. I also have been one of the most successful businessmen in the nation, being involved in the media, railroads, automobiles, shipping, other industrial and farming operations, and most recently, in film. My record on the economy is flawless; not once have I supported an unbalanced budget, nor have I increased taxes or needlessly increased spending. I have consistently opposed American entry in wars of aggression and imperialism, from Peru to Germany. And I have a strong record of supporting civil rights, conservation of natural resources, and limiting government growth.

While I don't want to talk heavily on my running mates' reputation (as I would much rather he give a more direct account), I can attest that he has served our nation admirably as a soldier for years, and has a record of strongly supporting his values, and being an energetic and forcible man.

Now, what can we do together these next four years? End the War, end the Fed, cut the bureaucracy, cut taxes, cut spending, and change course from a welfare state to a free nation! A vote for Jarvis/Ritter is a vote for Freedom, Peace and Normalcy!

I cast my vote for Mister McCahill, and hope he will allow me to continue on in my post in this crucial period.

- Marinus van Mayer, Secretary of State

Regarding southern segregation, I will always be staunchly opposed to the racial discrimination that can be seen there. I believe that everyone should be treated equally regardless of ethnicity, and as such I would push equality from a federal standpoint; I oppose restrictions on voting franchises and I oppose the notion that those who are failed by the racism in their state and local businesses should be failed by the federal government too.
As such, I would remove barriers to the franchise and set up a regulator of all elections (state, federal or otherwise) to ensure there is no fraud. I would also argue that by abandoning blacks in the south, my honourable opponent Mr Jarvis has betrayed them; leaving them to the mercy of clearly prejudiced state governments and businesses. Therefore, I would, whist trying to educate against racist ideas, continue supporting those, regardless of colour, who cannot pay for themselves.

How exactly do I abandon, or betray, them sir? By not providing them slavery to the government? By having some odd notion that one should work, and rise or fall on your own merits? I have always supported civil rights, as has my entire since the founding of this nation. What you say you'll provide is exactly what I say I'll provide, with the exceptions of me providing them from life to death, as you would have, and you forcing business into providing clientele, which I feel is pushing the bounds too far (though I could agree to more minor reforms). Business may discriminate, but under my free market policies, blacks can create their own jobs, their own stores, and will integrate themselves, through political enfranchisement, and through involving themselves in business. Under your system, blacks will be wards of the State, and the government will almost explicitly say they are inferior to others, since they cannot possibly provide for themselves (if they could, then they could have competed effectively in the market). I, as I have stated many times, reject that notion, and believe wholeheartedly in a man, not a race, proving his own worth through his own labours; what the government must do, I feel, is to ensure the laws do not bar him from improving, incentivise hard work and progress, and to protect hin fairly and equally under the law.

I must ask, would you forcibly integrate men's and women's clubs, which are private, but also discriminate on gender? While certainly not the same in depth, these clubs are also discriminatory, are they not?

Racism is a horrid thing, to be sure; however, dependence on the State is a far worse form of slavery, and I believe the government should only act in protecting people who are either being oppressed by the states, which I feel is unconstitutional (violating the right to liberty and property, and a host of amendments), those who not being helped by capitalism (those who are unemployed or extremely poor), and those who have had their rights violated in any way, shape, or form (which would mostly be handled in the courts, as I state before).

((We seem to be being a little fast to call-out racism to be honest, considering historically the South was still voting for pro-segregationists into the 1960's. Though I can understand with this civil wars emphasis on nationalism rather than slavery it would be a bit better.))

((We seem to be being a little fast to call-out racism to be honest, considering historically the South was still voting for pro-segregationists into the 1960's. Though I can understand with this civil wars emphasis on nationalism rather than slavery it would be a bit better.))

((Do remember though that nationalism TTL didn't supplant slavery as the prime cause for the war, but rather rose to a position equal to or slightly below it)).

((The problem is though that there is no Southern candidate running, my character coming from New Hampshire and his from California, and both parties are strongly pro-civil liberties. However, I accept it probably isn't a big issue for the man on the street, not least in the South; Europe and peace are more important at this juncture. It's likely that nothing would change re segregation regardless of which candidate gets elected; surely a pro-state lobby would emerge and fight for the rights of the states to legislate as they will and the Supreme Court will back them, hence delaying the problem for a few decades?))

Last edited:
((I have to agree; both McCahill and Jarvis are staunch supporters of civil rights, as are the Federal and Republican Parties, themselves. The only real difference that emerges is the extent of federal involvement, but that's the difference between the two on pretty much every issue; both candidates largely agree on the ends, but not on the means (domestically, at least).))

I believe the key issue of this campaign is the resolution of this war. I have already outlined my proposals (and am willing to listen to suggestions), while my opponent has not made any remarks since the outbreak of hostilities in eastern Europe. He has already stated his support for plebiscites, but has otherwise been somewhat vague.