• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Another inquiry: are the current political formations (I.e. the Union for Chile and the Independent Nationalists) going to be permanent, or are they simply temporary?))

I find myself at a conundrum, and in a state of being wholly ambivalent. I support both of the candidates for varying reasons.
Thus, I cannot bring myself to take a side.

Therefore, I ABSTAIN.

- General Jorge Alejandro Santandera

I wouldn't vote, as none of the candidates even remotely represent what I feel is right for Chile. ABSTAIN Liberales! Do not let the state intervene in our glorious free economy!

Presidential Candidates:
Eduardo Romano: 10
Francisco Rivera: 6
Abstain: 2

The poll closes at 6 PM tonight.

((Oh, sorry, and they're temporary formations... for now, at least.))

Last edited:
Romano

Here's the final tally:

Presidential Candidates:
Eduardo Romano: 12
Francisco Rivera: 6
Abstain: 2

So congratulations to President Romano ((Pallen)) on his re-election. Pallen, I need your appointments.

Update incoming.

The 1851 Presidential Election​

The 1851 Presidential Election was unexpected, but even so many whispered that it had been decided before it ever started. How could Francisco Rivera, the politicos asked, with nothing more than a fragment of the Nacionales backing him hope to defeat the incumbent Romano? While Rivera was ultimately defeated, he put up a fiercer fight than anyone had ever imagined.

When the electors met in Santiago to cast their ballots for the President of the Republic, Romano expected an easy victory. However, the first count (before all electors had arrived) was enough to worry the confident incumbent. 52 of the first wave voted for Rivera, while 70 voted for Romano. While this count still gave Romano a lead, it was not broad enough to be decisive.

Also worrying to Romano was a sizeable faction of liberal electors who decided to abstain from the election (ultimately 17 refused to vote for either candidate), as he was partially - but not entirely - counting on the support of the Liberales for a decisive mandate. Ultimately, however, opposition from both sides of the aisle came to nothing. Every elector who arrived after the first count pledged for Romano and he eventually defeated Rivera by a vast 105 to 52. Still, even as Rivera was forced to grudgingly concede his defeat, many commentators whispered and wondered what might have happened if De Santa Rosa had mustered the support to run as well. Might the ends have forced out the middle?

This was a question that would have to remain mere speculation for historians and philosophers. Romano secured his electoral victory handily.

That was not to say Rivera did not have an important decision left to make. Many of his fellows urged him to make the Nacionales Independientes a permanent formation rather than a temporary group and to purge from their ranks "those conservadores masquerading as nacionales." Rivera had formed the Nacionales Independientes. The decision was his first.

A lesser drama was played out following the election at the headquarters of the Monarquicos in Patagonia. Witold Tamiuszski, after seeing the disappointing turnout of the convention, was heard to say "I think we can consider the Partido Monárquico finished." Truer words were never spoken. Tamiuszski announced the dissolution of the Partido Monárquico immediately after the poll. The worst opponents of the Partido quietly celebrated this victory, which had been achieved without force or prohibition of law. Others lamented it.

-------------------------

Player Actions Needed:
Pallen, I need your final policies and appointments before I can post a new update.

The Partido Monárquico is hereby dissolved.

With four statements of support for the Nacionales Independientes, which MUST INCLUDE THAT OF Francisco Rivera ((atomicsoda)), they will become a standing party. So, those people who wish to join the Nacionales Independientes - speak now.

Last edited:
The President's appointments and policies are:

Grand General of the North: Jorge Alejandro Santandera ((Dyranum)) 2 Infantry Brigades
Rear Guard of the Grand Army of the North: Gabriel Alvarez (Gloa) 1 Infantry Brigade, 1 Cavalry Brigade
Grand General of the South: Roseno ((Red Cesar)) 2 Infantry Brigades
General:Carrow ((Seek75)) 1 Cavalry Brigade

Minister of the Treasury: Armando de Vasces (OConner)
Minister of State: Gale (WelshDude)
Minister of War: Manuel Carrera (King50000)
Minister of Interior: Alvarez Ana (Devotist)
Minister of Church and Culture: Antonio Disraeli ((Rogov))

Interventionalism
Protectionism
Moralism
Residency

I will update tomorrow evening, to give time for ministers and the President to dictate policy priorities, the vote on the Nacionales Independientes to proceed, and the relevant generals to declare a coup should they so wish.

As a reminder to ministers and the President: if you state your priorities now for your time in office, they will be modded into the game as effects for the duration of your terms.

((Wait, what happened to the artillery?))

((Don't ask me. That's what Pallen sent me verbatim. I'll assume it didn't move commands unless he clarifies otherwise, which means that you (Carrow) have one artillery brigade and actually no cavalry, and Santandera has the other brigade.))

Liberales, while Mr. Romano might not agree with our policies and is partially halting progress in our nation, we owe him a lot. He has today acomplished a great deed that many of us were looking to accomplish 10 or 15 years ago: he indirectly politically starved the monarchist movement leading to the dissolution of such party. Never have we owed so much to a conservative counterpart. Thank you Mr. President for this accomplishment! Be it our wish that this man stays in office during his term, and I give him my blessings and congratulations: you count with my support, and hopefully other liberales' support as well. Our legacy has passed on to him, and we congratulate him.

Many have seen our liberal movement as a minority and claim that our decade of power has passed, but we will return! This is only the beggining! Viva la Libertad!

Congratulations go to our re-elected Presidente, Romano! I accept the post as Minisrer of War for Presidente Romano's next glorious term. For this next term as Minister, I shall work to establish the founding of a new Armada de Chile. I will work with Minister de Vasces to assemble the needed supplies to create a small founding fleet of Frigates, while keeping our currently fielded armies with supplies and men. If possible, I will try to form artillery divisions for each field army, and for a new Capital Defense Force to be recruited as well, but priotiry shall be given to creating the Armanda and supplying our current troops.

I support the formation of the Nacionales Independientes

Okay. If you get the three more statements of support you need, the party forms. If it does, you'd be the de facto leader.

I'll let you rename the party if you like, so maybe think about some alternate names to Nacionales Independientes, which could get confusing.

(Los Militaristas is still free, though I'm not sure how much the other parties would appreciate it.)

I will do everything in my power to construct a railroad network for Chile. I will also plan to cut taxes on the wealthy to give them plenty of money to invest in factories.

-Armando de Vasces

((Don't ask me. That's what Pallen sent me verbatim. I'll assume it didn't move commands unless he clarifies otherwise, which means that you (Carrow) have one artillery brigade and actually no cavalry, and Santandera has the other brigade.))

((Sorry I compeltetly forgot about the artillery, i used this as an old pattern so i rememebred who had what, and who was what. Those who have artillery still have them))