• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
had offered the Union a chance of peace between North and South, we wanted to usher in a Second Era of Good feelings, where North and South worked together, and acted as one country, one people.
Sir, might I ask how this coincides with previous comments that we must (I am afraid I must paraphrase ((as it was several pages back and I can't find it)) ) "accept" that the south was a "different culture" and had to be treated differently (that is, by giving them more power and military might).

Let us not forget, that even though many Whigs and Democrats continue to grumble about this so-called "discrimination" in the military the Davis Compromise was almost overwhelmingly voted into law with only a few "No"s. If the core value of this Union party is hatred towards what we in the SNP and the rest of the South see as equal treatment towards us in an institution as old as the Constitution then why do so many Whigs and Democrats who supported the Compromise now side with the Union party? Would it not have been much more to your party's pleasing to form your own Compromise on the basis of the Davis Compromise but with the military aspects of it let out? And I do not see how we took action to force this Compromise into law. It was voted by Congress legally and with all interested parties present. And as has been repeated time after time along with the Militia Bill, the SNM in no way acts on orders of the SNP or on what it views as would be in the best interests of the SNP. It is a purely regional National Guard force to police the South in times of peace and support the Federal Army with the defense of Southern Cities and Ports in times of war. I do apologize for labeling all of the members of the Union party as pushing for instant-abolition and "act-now" demanders. It is just my viewpoint that not enough was shown by the end of Mr. King's term as president to show that he had even attempted to improve the industry of the South away from the Cotton industry.
-Nicolas Khur, Inspector-General of the SNM, Commanding-Officer of the U.S. Dragoons
The economy thrived under Mr. King, with a great expansion in all areas - a great change from under Jackson. Perhaps it was only a minor change as of yet, but such things take time (we cannot suddenly place people into factories just as we cannot suddenly declare slaves to be free - and King was the first who promoted this expansion of industry in such a way - not to demean former presidents, but the idea of industrializing the south by such methods was only recently brought to the attention of Congress and other officials like you and me).

The core value of the Union Party is just what it would suggest - the Union of the United States of America. The Davis Compromise was a flawed but necessary bill for the time to preserve this Union (and no other bill or amendment was brought to the table from the Whigs at the time, I might note. I myself proposed an amendment removing the ratio - and Mr. McAttack and others convinced the ratio to be lowered from its original even more discriminatory form - and thus we cannot say that we simply ignored the ratio), and acting for better representation and good national defense of the nation as a whole is also an important trait of future unity. We cannot discriminate and still hold ourselves as equals.

I accept your apology (on behalf of who I may represent) on terming us all "act now"s, and in turn I would like to apologize for my wording of "forcing" the legislation. I did not mean to suggest that the SNP in any way coerced Congress or otherwise sent the legislation against our will - simply that the inclusion and refusal to amend the ratio in otherwise vital legislation for a time of an increasingly volatile south and political climate gave many no option (but in a completely legal and fairly ethical way).

((Which is why the leadership of our party are Military men for the most part, it is our job to herd angry mobs with guns in the correct directions and keep them under control!)):D
((my job is being outsourced to Southerners!))

Sir, might I ask how this coincides with previous comments that we must (I am afraid I must paraphrase ((as it was several pages back and I can't find it)) ) "accept" that the south was a "different culture" and had to be treated differently (that is, by giving them more power and military might).

Senator Gallatin,

Let it be known, that I for one have never advocated giving the South special power over the North, or that the South was some righteous advocate for the country. I for one, believe that any man willing to join a unit and wants to fight for the country, the United States of America is free to do so. In fact, I am against the 1:1 ratio, as it discriminates against the North for having a larger population. I may be from the South, yes, and I do represent a party that seeks to have the South play a bigger role because we feel we are having Northern values forced upon us, but that is no excuse for me to support a provision that seeks to enforce Southern views on the North.

In all reality, Honorable Senator, all we ask is to be let alone.

We want to run the South like the South, and have the North run like the North. This, I believe, is the way to create a more perfect Union.

Senator Hensdale

Ooh. Big night. We broke the vote record, and had a nice, sensible debate.

Projekt: Luckily, the in-story elections don't have to follow in-thread elections exactly. The SNP will get more than 5/6ths of the Southern vote, and even part (although a very small part) of the Northern vote.

Frymonmon: "We want to run the South like the South, and have the North run like the North. This, I believe, is the way to create a more perfect Union." I have got to get that into the update.

Current tally:
Union Party: 12 (There will definitely be no Union Party next election)
SNP: 3 (You'll get a second chance).

Voting ends at 7PM GMT.

well esteemed members of the SNP, time to throw in the towel this election is lost to us, however you can try again next time.
I simply hope the NU has the is prudent enough, cautious and level-headed and can prevent a tear across these states

Good job countrymen, for throwing the tyrants of Southern slavery out of the federal government! Do not allow them to keep on thriving, strike at the heart of hatred while they are weak!

((Just now got caught up with this AAR, must participate))

Senator Tony Demchak, Ohio, born 1815
As my parents were Russian emigres, I cannot help but notice that no existing parties recognize the plight of immigrants in this fair country. I cannot decide on who to support until I know who has the interest of those who want nothing more than to be part of this great Land of Opportunity.

Really? Give us details about the plight of these immigrants, and soon-to-be President Cameron will surely do much to rectify it.

((I suggest you lay down your senate title until later, as it makes no sense for a senator not to be from one of the main parties, also what's your age and all that other stuff?))

Current tally:
Union Party: 12 (There will definitely be no Union Party next election)
SNP: 3 (You'll get a second chance).
((Wow, that's a lot of votes. Also, the SNP would have lost even had we broken into Free Soil, Moderates, and Democrats?

And heh, there's no chance the Union Party would survive another whole election with the great differences between the more radical Whigs and the Democrats. Given a cooling situation in terms of the Union (and thus "more pressing" issues in the nitpicking that distinguishes them), I predict that party lines will start re-forming right about now.

What's the vote count on the Militia Bill? ))

Good job countrymen, for throwing the tyrants of Southern slavery out of the federal government! Do not allow them to keep on thriving, strike at the heart of hatred while they are weak!
Well, considering that the person in charge was King before, who was hardly a tyrant of Southern slavery, and the vote does not count for the Congressional runs (which are no doubt showing some support for the SNP among former Democrats in the south, although maybe not as much as predicted), I would hardly say that anyone is being "thrown out" (much less that all of them are tyrants, of course).

Really? Give us details about the plight of these immigrants, and soon-to-be President Cameron will surely do much to rectify it.

((I suggest you lay down your senate title until later, as it makes no sense for a senator not to be from one of the main parties, also what's your age and all that other stuff?))
This country was based on the hard work and cooperation of many peoples. Let us commit again to refusing to discriminate with building codes or limited citizenships or other such unnecessary chains on our diverse people, coming into the land of liberty recently, or here for centuries before us.

((well, born 1815 would suggest an age of 26 - it might be interesting to see how a young party-less son of immigrants might be in the Senate))

((Wow, that's a lot of votes. Also, the SNP would have lost even had we broken into Free Soil, Moderates, and Democrats?

And heh, there's no chance the Union Party would survive another whole election with the great differences between the more radical Whigs and the Democrats. Given a cooling situation in terms of the Union (and thus "more pressing" issues in the nitpicking that distinguishes them), I predict that party lines will start re-forming right about now.

What's the vote count on the Militia Bill? ))

Well, considering that the person in charge was King before, who was hardly a tyrant of Southern slavery, and the vote does not count for the Congressional runs (which are no doubt showing some support for the SNP among former Democrats in the south, although maybe not as much as predicted), I would hardly say that anyone is being "thrown out" (much less that all of them are tyrants, of course).

This country was based on the hard work and cooperation of many peoples. Let us commit again to refusing to discriminate with building codes or limited citizenships or other such unnecessary chains on our diverse people, coming into the land of liberty recently, or here for centuries before us.

((well, born 1815 would suggest an age of 26 - it might be interesting to see how a young party-less son of immigrants might be in the Senate))

No Actually we would have won, you forget that candidates would have to be fielded for all of those splinter cells, maning you would have to split 8 three ways, not 12. beyond this, I think some more democrats might have converted to SNP without the NU to back them up.

((We're assuming, for the moment, that the Senator has been elected as an Independent. My character is 26, hence the birth date; what else would you like to know?))

To the Honorable Congressman from Virginia: Many immigrants are barred from certain areas of employment, are often mistreated by the so-called "upper class" as being unworthy of their time and attention. Most importantly, unless a culture is "acceptable" to the powers-that-be, we cannot vote and make our voices heard. I was born in this great country, and so enjoy the benefits as befit a citizen of these United States, but that is not the case for many who have recently come to these shores. I only ask that, provided they have proven their loyalty, all immigrants will be given a fair opportunity to become citizens.

To Senator Gallatin: I can only respond, hear, hear!

((We're assuming, for the moment, that the Senator has been elected as an Independent. My character is 26, hence the birth date; what else would you like to know?))

1) each senator must be at least 30 years old, 2) must have been a citizen of the United States for at least the past nine years, and 3) must be (at the time of the election) an inhabitant of the state he or she seeks to represent. Uh maybe you were born in 1805 not 1815?

No Actually we would have won, you forget that candidates would have to be fielded for all of those splinter cells, meaning you would have to split 8 three ways, not 12. beyond this, I think some more democrats might have converted to SNP without the NU to back them up.
((oh yeah, forgot about the candidates not being able to vote part. So yeah, a complete split would have been iffy (it would depend on whether one group dominated the field among the three - if not, then the SNP would have had victory). A two way split (splitting 10 votes between two parties) would be a guaranteed win, though, unless it changed the rhetoric of the election, pushing more to the SNP (but it would still need a substantial amount to tip the scales). Interesting, politics is a mysterious thing sometimes.))

1) each senator must be at least 30 years old, 2) must have been a citizen of the United States for at least the past nine years, and 3) must be (at the time of the election) an inhabitant of the state he or she seeks to represent. Uh maybe you were born in 1805 not 1815?

((He can be a Representative as far as I remember the age limit for that's 25, also BBB I think you forgot to put the Presidential Election 1940 on the first post.))

Last edited:
((oh yeah, forgot about the candidates not being able to vote part. So yeah, a complete split would have been iffy (it would depend on whether one group dominated the field among the three - if not, then the SNP would have had victory). A two way split (splitting 10 votes between two parties) would be a guaranteed win, though, unless it changed the rhetoric of the election, pushing more to the SNP (but it would still need a substantial amount to tip the scales). Interesting, politics is a mysterious thing sometimes.))

((And Like BBB said since I got either 5/19 or 3/15 votes which equates to either 26.4% or 20% of the vote and my voting base is near exclusively in the south which only has 30% of the countries population I did get 2/3 to 5/6 of the southern vote. Like you said politics is a mysterious thing and I cant wait to see how BBB works it into the story))

Polls are closed.

The 9th President of this Republic will be John F. Cameron.
The Militia Bill passes.

God Bless America, and God Bless President Cameron.

Three cheers for the Union. May President Cameron fulfill his duties well and all Americans live together in unity, whatever party they associate with.

My fellow Americans, today I pose a question; what does America mean to you? To me America is far greater than those individuals of which it is composed, even though among those individuals are the greatest minds in the world. The first ever nation to successfully rebel against colonial oppression, inspiring similar revolutions across the Americas. A republic, not ruled over by those who inherit power, superstition, or a military dictator, but elected by every man. Such a man’s worth is not determined by his position at birth, but by his ambition, passion and effort. This is a country where the simple son of a clerk, such as myself, can be elevated to the Head of State. In this our great nation is unique, a pillar of humanity and civilisation, a liberalist paradise of man and free thought and free expression. I needn’t therefore explain why it is such a tremendous honour for me to be elected President, I believe the oath of office to be the grandest and highest commitments one can ever make, and I’m sure those eight who proceeded me agree.

However this nation which I love so is in trouble, our politics is divided, our people are divided. Some answer to this by attempting to further divide and segregate the nation, however I assure you all such an approach will lead to our downfall. Such an approach goes against the principles of this republic. My administration, as I pledged upon putting myself up for election shall encompass all. This will not be an administration of North or South, Dixie or Yankee, or any artificial divide we may conger, but of Americans. My approach in office will not be for any short term political gain, rather for the long-term continued prosperity of the Union as a whole. That much I guarantee.

Here’s to a glorious four years.

- John F. Cameron
-President of the United States of America

I’ll also take this opportunity to announce my Cabinet, which encompasses all on the basis of merit and legitimacy:
Vice President – Thomas McAttack
Secretary of State – Daniel Gallatin
Secretary of the Treasury – Arthur King
Secretary of the South – Thomas J.L. Davis​

((I’ll also put this in the post, imagine this is a couple months later, but this thread moves so fast I’m putting it along with the inaugural address.))

The Mexican Aggression Declaration​

Gentlemen of Congress, and my fellow Americans. Ever since the inclusion of Texas as a state in our union the Mexican government has sponsored the systematic violation of Texan and American territorial sovereignty, horrific violence carried out upon American settlers in Mexico, and restricted the rights of both Americans and Mexican citizens within their country. One confesses that war is, as a rule, to be avoided, however it is better than certain kinds of peace. I’m afraid we find ourselves in one of those such situations. We must stand against this oppressive power, to ensure peace along the frontier provinces and the continued security and prosperity of our sovereign nation. So I ask Congress to endorse the following declaration:

We the elected representatives of the people of the United States of America hereby give the President and his Cabinet the right to use military force against the Republic of Mexico if its violation of our nation’s sovereignty continues.

I submit this Declaration to Congress.

-John F. Cameron
-President of the United States of America

Today is a glorius day for all Americans!

Not only has the North accepted the ticket of peace within the country but the majority of the South as well! A triumph for moderation above populism and attempts to create civil war!

I am thrilled that my fellow Americans have elected President Cameron and myself as Vice President. United our house shall stand!

Long Live the Republic!

Today is a glorius day for all Americans!

Not only has the North accepted the ticket of peace within the country but the majority of the South as well! A triumph for moderation above populism and attempts to create civil war!

I am thrilled that my fellow Americans have elected President Cameron and myself as Vice President. United our house shall stand!

Long Live the Republic!

((You probably didnt see, but statistically speaking the SNP won the vast majority of the southern vote considering nearly all SNP votes were cast by southerners and since the south only has roughly 30% of the countries population 20-26.4% of the total Vote indicates a huge victory in the south with the SNP winning 2/3 to 5/6 of the vote. BBB can confirm this))