• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Now I'm eager to find out about this "major feature" that hasn't been polished up yet. Anybody have any idea what it is (or did I miss something)?

This looks as if its going to be twice as deep a game. As a (possibly) unintended consequence, less of the game will be spent conquering I think, as there will be so much more non-war features. I certaintly welcome that.

Will be intresting to see what the Magna Mundi team will do with the magistrate in the future.

This looks as if its going to be twice as deep a game. As a (possibly) unintended consequence, less of the game will be spent conquering I think, as there will be so much more non-war features. I certaintly welcome that.
As do I. More stuff to do besides fighting wars and preparing for them is always nice.

If we remove the 'wasteland' tag from a province does it turn it into a colonizable zone? Are they split up at the same province density as the rest of the map or are they huge?

It might be really cool if the wasteland tag could be removed IN GAME by event or something to represent advancing technology.

I guess you could even give the 'wasteland' tag a numerical rating from 1-100 and have it automatically become available at certain tech levels. I.E.:
At land tech level 25 you can access wasteland provinces rated below 30 at land tech 40 you could access below 60 etc.

Colonization could be slowed a bit that way by making non-coastal provinces all start with a low wasteland value which eventually gets removed by rising tech levels.

The magistrates may seem simple but it makes a lot of sense. E.g. African or Arab tribal states would have a bit of a hard time introducing changes into a region, whereas, say, the UK could do it pretty easily. It will also make playing the Timurids or Golden Horde (or perhaps even Ming, since their outer regions such as Xinjiang were at times practically independent) more challenging.

Although it's too late now, perhaps legitimacy could have also played a part in magistrates. (Assuming it doesn't already) For example, a ruler with no legitimacy will pretty much be unable to effect changes in any province outside the capital, whereas an all-powerful and respected ruler will be able to at least bring forth changes in all provinces in some form and at some point. Religious tolerance and such could also play a part in provincial loyalties. (Less tolerance = more "respect" but with more unrest, whereas the opposite means no/little unrest but significant autonomy and thus little control over the province) It could even go so far as to have the inability to create troops in a totally unloyal province and the ability to send in troops to defeat warlords or chieftains in the province to gain its loyalty.

But yeah, current system is good. :p

Last edited:
I like very much 'legitimacy' idea. In fact, I think that reworking the concept (sort of a 'internal prestige', not just for monarchies, and keeping current 'prestige' affecting external issues), the 'stability' feature should be overcome. I prefer avoiding as much as possible such 'deus ex machina' features (as stability is now). Maybe one step for EUIV... :)

In the other hand: these Doomdark's DDs are ruining my current game! ;)

If we remove the 'wasteland' tag from a province does it turn it into a colonizable zone?

Yes

Are they split up at the same province density as the rest of the map or are they huge?

Most are huge.

It might be really cool if the wasteland tag could be removed IN GAME by event or something to represent advancing technology.

Not going to happen in this expansion I'm afraid.

Heck, while I'm thinking of it, dropping a low wasteland level on Canada and parts of the American coast that will usually lift at tech levels around 1500-1540 would encourage early colonizers like Portugal and Spain to head south in the beginning rather then grabbing Canada right off because of naval distance.

Love what you did with Russia. It's just so tiring to spend 10 months with cavalry trying to get from one zone to another.

I approve of bludgeoning the hell out of France with the nerf stick. Good job, guys!

I approve of bludgeoning the hell out of France with the nerf stick. Good job, guys!
This just reminded me of the end of Halloween 5 when Dr. Loomis is beating Michael Myers with a board and shouting, "Die! ... Die! ... Die!!!"

France and Michael Myers have many other similarities, actually. :D

It looks really nice :). I particularly like that Hamburg is a port.

Can you make London a port too? realistically, it was (they have a 10,000 ton WWII cruiser tied up near Westminster as a tourist attraction, the port could handle pre-19th Century ships with ease, just not modern supertankers and container vessels), and because London is not a port in game it becomes a very bad decision for someone playing England/Britain to put their English CoT there.

On another note, the new "trade league" rules would model the country of "Swahili" nicely. They were a bunch of city states on the East African coast that traded for resources with the inland peoples and then shipped those resources to the Arabs, the Persians, and at least as far as India (and people of all those countries lived in the city-states), not an African tribal nation as we Europeans usually think of them.