Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Agincourt again scores six hits with six missiles, and destroys Mughal 002. The five-ship Prix squadron Bandit-1 has been wiped out.

Bandits 2 and 3 are about 28 m-km away from the Battle Fleet, and somewhat closer to the decoy force.

The only hope I see of taking Khan is if we can make it back to the jump point with some firepower left.

Then I would suggest leaving one ship - perhaps a Rock - on the wrong side of the jump point until Khan gets close again, then jumping out where Khan can see us. With any luck they will pursue - we now know precursors sometime do it - and we can have the whole rest of the fleet awaiting them for a point-blank ambush on the other side of the jump.

Hopefully we can then nail them before their point defense goes active.

Personally, I still feel that we'll be lucky to reach the jump point out of this system. We still haven't heard from the last three pursuers, and if even ONE of them is another "1500 PD missile" ship, then we're dead. We no longer have 60 Fighters to absorb the shots for us, and the Prix have been ignoring the Rocks completely in their last several missile-duels.

I think we've done wonderfully well so far... but if we get out of here in one piece, we should all get down on our knees and thank God.

... that's not going to stop us from coming BACK here, of course, as soon as we re-stock on Fighters and missiles, and get our armor repaired.

Actually, correct me if I'm wrong, but the last ship to fire missiles at us fired on first one Rock, then the other, then switched to other available targets before even its first missiles hit. Which is exactly the same pattern as when Bandit-I fired its long range missiles at us.

My best guess is that the AI estimate how many missiles it needs to take down a ship, fire that, then switch target. The ridiculous armoring of the Rocks is what messes up with them - they underestimate what they need to take us down, and by the time enough salvoes hit the rock, they fired most of the rest of their salvoes at other ships.

Hence the suggestion to keep the Rocks further out, so that the AI has time to realize their first salvo at each of them wasn't enough to kill them BEFORE they get in range of any other targets.

I could, of course, be wrong.

So my crew has a confirmed kill. Sweet. You are saying every 6 missile spread is from my ship yes? So I could be responsible for the MASSIVE explosion earlier?

And are their ships close enough that explosions of that size could harm nearby ships?

Which our factories are cranking out full speed, right?

We've got crap-loads of Missiles waiting for us on Earth, yes, and we can commandeer the Fighter Squadrons from the air-bases there while they build replacements. It's going to take us a few months to repair our armor anyway.

Hence the suggestion to keep the Rocks further out, so that the AI has time to realize their first salvo at each of them wasn't enough to kill them BEFORE they get in range of any other targets.

Yes, the Rocks were only 100,000 km in front of the fleet last time. This time, I'm putting them millions of km out in front.

So my crew has a confirmed kill. Sweet. You are saying every 6 missile spread is from my ship yes? So I could be responsible for the MASSIVE explosion earlier?

The massive explosion was caused by a 40-missile spread... which is everybody EXCEPT you (5 x Cruisers x 4 tubes each plus 5 x Destroyers x 4 tubes each = 40). You had hit that ship just a few seconds before the 40-tube spread came in, though... so your six missiles had stripped some armor off it for them.

Your last two salvos each scored six-out-of-six, by the way. It's too bad the game doesn't track people below the rank of Lt-Commander, because your Gunnery Officer deserves a medal.

And are their ships close enough that explosions of that size could harm nearby ships?

As far as I know, there is no collateral damage effect except within a particular ship... eg: when an engine explodes, it can damage or destroy other components.

We've got crap-loads of Missiles waiting for us on Earth, yes, and we can commandeer the Fighter Squadrons from the air-bases there while they build replacements. It's going to take us a few months to repair our armor anyway.

Yes, the Rocks were only 100,000 km in front of the fleet last time. This time, I'm putting them millions of km out in front.

The massive explosion was caused by a 40-missile spread... which is everybody EXCEPT you (5 x Cruisers x 4 tubes each plus 5 x Destroyers x 4 tubes each = 40). You had hit that ship just a few seconds before the 40-tube spread came in, though... so your six missiles had stripped some armor off it for them.

Your last two salvos each scored six-out-of-six, by the way. It's too bad the game doesn't track people below the rank of Lt-Commander, because your Gunnery Officer deserves a medal.

As far as I know, there is no collateral damage effect except within a particular ship... eg: when an engine explodes, it can damage or destroy other components.

Just so you know sir, I train every crew member personally. And yes we are all proud of Gunnery Officer John Jackham Jameson.

Our three pursuers are now 21.8 m-km from the Battle-Fleet, and about 18 or 19 m-km from the Decoy Force. Still holding an intercept course towards us. Khan 001 continues to retreat towards the habitable planet and the wreckage-field close around it.

It´s been some very satisfying developments the last day.
Nice to see that the Agincourt doing such a good job.

I wonder what had happened if the Prix manage to take her out in the first wave.
The line between victory and defeat are sometimes very thin.

Unless we're talking about the Prix's show.

I'm really looking forward to see how the "mine layers" will perform.

It´s been some very satisfying developments the last day.
Nice to see that the Agincourt doing such a good job.

I wonder what had happened if the Prix manage to take her out in the first wave.
The line between victory and defeat are sometimes very thin.

Yes, the Agincourt was lucky to survive that earlier bombardment. Their shields were down, their armor had been completely breached and the ship's innards were open to vacuum even before that last salvo came in... and the three hits that the enemy scored all landed on undamaged sections of the armor.

As the saying goes, "It's better to be lucky than good".

Hmm lucky the first set of Prix shot their load prematurely then!

hehe.

Aye.

I've made another backup save of the game at this point... that lightning storm last night made me a bit concerned for the integrity of the data-base, and I'd hate to see it crash and lose all the good luck we've had so far.

Yes, the Agincourt was lucky to survive that earlier bombardment. Their shields were down, their armor had been completely breached and the ship's innards were open to vacuum even before that last salvo came in... and the three hits that the enemy scored all landed on undamaged sections of the armor.

As the saying goes, "It's better to be lucky than good".

It seems Aryla havent updated officer designations, am I still on ESN Agressive? Also is Aryla back in home on Earth thus making me highest rankig officer ?