• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No I most definately would not. I play it on my 14 inch laptop every now and then and that's basically more scrolling than playing.

My problem playing it on a laptop, is the screen resolution, not the screen size. And tablets have a big enough resolution, for it not being a problem in my eyes.

My problem playing it on a laptop, is the screen resolution, not the screen size. And tablets have a big enough resolution, for it not being a problem in my eyes.
So everything being a quarter the size as it is on the smallest screens now doesn't bother you at all? This while trying to control it with your bulky fingers? Good luck. :)

So everything being a quarter the size as it is on the smallest screens now doesn't bother you at all? This while trying to control it with your bulky fingers? Good luck. :)

Actually not, my problem is the interface filling 3/5 of the screen, not it being too small.

Even though I never buy an Ipad. I would not buy this game on that if I even had one.
If I had an Ipad or such. I would want quick games for on the go. Not doing something I rather do on my PC.

And somehow, I don't think touch would be so great in terms of the mouse. But that might be me.

Actually not, my problem is the interface filling 3/5 of the screen, not it being too small.
So you really see no problems at all clicking on Corfu with your fingers while an army and a navy sits there if the island is a quarter or a tenth the size it is now?

Some people here don't answer to the point. The question is: "Regardless if you own or wish to own some sort of ~10 inch tablet, do you find it suitable for grand-strategy games such as EU and similar?

My answer is yes.

The reasons:

1. Screen size isn't the issue. Pointing and selecting a small isle or fleet is possible by zooming in deep enough. It is also too small on my computer screen, but zooming in resolves the issue.
  2. Furthermore, the menus can be easily redesigned to behave in a more iPad-ish way via drag-and-pull, much like the notification center. Meaning, it would stay hidden until you pull it out into the screen out of the upper edge or something. This is just like most of the data that can be also hidden/shown in the computer version - with a small change of behavior.
  3. Tablets allow multi-finger gestures which can also help redesign the menus and make them less complex and with less clutter - Long lists can be scrolled smoothly, splitting armies can be done with physically splitting with two fingers (or even three for a three-army split, just for the heck of it). Multiple destinations (checkpoint) can also be easily done with finger-dragging. Closing messages by "throwing" them out of the screen. Opening a province's / nation's menu can be done by making an open gesture with the fingers instead of clicking it. You can practically almost eliminate (almost) all buttons.
  4. Selecting armies and fleets and moving them around can be achieved just like in other tablet RTS games (C&C/Red Alert) - Just drag them across the screen. Multiple selection? Draw a circle and drag on screen in the same fashion.
  5. I agree that the tablets are seen as a platform for casual games, but this is not the case with 100% of games coming out - C&C, Red Alert, Baldur's Gate, Battle for Wesnoth, and other "hardcore" games are already out or in development. The tablet can host many a generes. It just depends on how the customers perceive its use. I believe couch-commanders (or whatever the sort is called) would benefit and enjoy a great deal playing from the tablet instead of having to sit in front of a computer.
  6. Regarding technical capabilities of the iPad - I don't know the requirements necessary for EU3, but I believe it'll require a great deal of work to port the graphics engine to the iPad. However, seeing other 3D-heavy games being played fluidly - I believe it's do-able.

To sum it all up - I own an iPad and would definitely re-purchase EU3 and all in-app purchases (DLCs and expansions) that would be released. I also believe it is a good investment for PE, from my humble point of view.

Last edited:
Some people here don't answer to the point. The question is: "Regardless if you own or wish to own some sort of ~10 inch tablet, do you find it suitable for grand-strategy games such as EU and similar?

My answer is yes.

The reasons:

1. Screen size isn't the issue. Pointing and selecting a small isle or fleet is possible by zooming in deep enough. It is also too small on my computer screen, but zooming in resolves the issue.
  2. Furthermore, the menus can be easily redesigned to behave in a more iPad-ish way via drag-and-pull, much like the notification center. Meaning, it would stay hidden until you pull it out into the screen out of the upper edge or something. This is just like most of the data that can be also hidden/shown in the computer version - with a small change of behavior.
  3. Tablets allow multi-finger gestures which can also help redesign the menus and make them less complex and with less clutter - Long lists can be scrolled smoothly, splitting armies can be done with physically splitting with two fingers (or even three for a three-army split, just for the heck of it). Multiple destinations (checkpoint) can also be easily done with finger-dragging. Closing messages by "throwing" them out of the screen. Opening a province's / nation's menu can be done by making an open gesture with the fingers instead of clicking it. You can practically almost eliminate (almost) all buttons.
  4. Selecting armies and fleets and moving them around can be achieved just like in other tablet RTS games (C&C/Red Alert) - Just drag them across the screen. Multiple selection? Draw a circle and drag on screen in the same fashion.
  5. I agree that the tablets are seen as a platform for casual games, but this is not the case with 100% of games coming out - C&C, Red Alert, Baldur's Gate, Battle for Wesnoth, and other "hardcore" games are already out or in development. The tablet can host many a generes. It just depends on how the customers perceive its use. I believe couch-commanders (or whatever the sort is called) would benefit and enjoy a great deal playing from the tablet instead of having to sit in front of a computer.
  6. Regarding technical capabilities of the iPad - I don't know the requirements necessary for EU3, but I believe it'll require a great deal of work to port the graphics engine to the iPad. However, seeing other 3D-heavy games being played fluidly - I believe it's do-able.

To sum it all up - I own an iPad and would definitely re-purchase EU3 and all in-app purchases (DLCs and expansions) that would be released. I also believe it is a good investment for PE, from my humble point of view.

All your points are valid and reasonable. And still - NO.

All your points are valid and reasonable. And still - NO.

And you explained every single bit of your answer. :)

No, the question was:
I believe this is what he meant behind the sentence. C'mon, you understand where I was getting into - The question whether going into the tablet business with grand-strategy titles is profitable.

It's not just "EU3 for iPad", it's also HOI, CK, and other non PE games of the same type.

I think the iPad could do a lot better than just Angry Birds.

I believe
This. It ends there.

The think is, you can anwer differently, according to problems you think is important:
One answer was "No, because it wouldn't be technically possible on iPad"
another is "No, because technical changes and redesigning would make EU3 uncomfortable for me to play."
and just another is "No, because I don't find playing complex games that takes hours to play comfortable to play on iPad"

But cherrypicking only one problem and raising it as the only important reason behind questioner, thus lowering whole dimension of problem, has quite close to straw hat.

This. It ends there.

The think is, you can anwer differently, according to problems you think is important:
One answer was "No, because it wouldn't be technically possible on iPad"
another is "No, because technical changes and redesigning would make EU3 uncomfortable for me to play."
and just another is "No, because I don't find playing complex games that takes hours to play comfortable to play on iPad"

But cherrypicking only one problem and raising it as the only important reason behind questioner, thus lowering whole dimension of problem, has quite close to straw hat.

Quite an upset answer you had there.

No, please, don't read it like I am upset or something. I just pointed on one problem of communication. Sometimes we try to hard to search reason behind someones statements, that we misread it completly.
http://xkcd.com/1028/

And in lectures of literature, common practice is to explain "what author mean by this words"
http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/the_2de74d_2130342.jpg

And I don't find that practice fair. Who we are to define interpretation of someones text as only true interpretation? Only author has this right. And I don't find fair to say "He meant that, you are all wrong", just as you said.
Some people here don't answer to the point.
I believe this is what he meant behind the sentence.

Yes, I would love it on my iPad!
I don't think CPU/GPU is much of a problem now, and surely it won't be a problem in 1-2 years, that is the time the game will be out if they start developing it today.
The reason it may never happen is an economic one I think: the game is just too niche, while tablets are for the masses...

Wouldn't mind playing it on my Vita, not a chance of happening though. But overall I simply don't think it would be profitably to release EU3 on another platform other than PC/Mac.

What is this, the 4th time I'm telling you. The Tegra 3 processor is a quad core processor running at 1,4 Ghz. Double the amount you say Europa Universalis 3 needs.

And you sure do toss around niche a lot. Every game is a niche game, everything product in our world is targeted for a specific audience. You haven't even done any research on the tablet markets gaming. You automatically generalize all tablet consumers to be casual gamers. Which simply is untrue. Most of the things you say isn't based on fact, and most of it is just guessing. You don't know how the tablet market would react to this kinds of games, you know why? Because there are none like it out there. Therefore it's impossible to know how the market will react before someone will take that pioneering step.

Clausewitz engine can't use more than 1 core.
Quad core is useless for EU3

eh?? I beg to disagree.. All games on clausewitz except for EU3 currently runs on multiple cores.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Why not EU3?

U NO ADD SUPPORT TO MULTIPLE CORES IN PATCH?

well, still it wouldn't help, because my main problem is that f-ing intel HD integrated (or rather embeded) graphic card...
So I am doomed. I am so happy for that graphical downgrade mod I downloaded...

Status
Not open for further replies.