• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
max_batch_peace = 800 # Max production run length in DAYS while at peace
max_batch_war = 500 # Max production run length in DAYS while at war with no home front
max_batch_home_front = 190 # Max production run length in DAYS while at war with home fronts

These are the lines which are for longer serials.

upgrading = 0.1 #max % of ic used on this slider

I've noticed that there is no upgrade in sov_1936.ai file. This patch definitely needs lots of AI tweaking.

great thanks.

are these your suggested values, if so for what country?

is there a repair slider too?

true about sov file, but I think there is upgrading coded in one of the switches.

You can find these values in AI folder,file name is ai_file_doc. They are just for example. I can't find any repair command, I think the only way ai repairs its infrastructure is in db\misc file(_EV_FREE_INFRA_REPAIR_). Can someone confirm this, or am I wrong here?

Regarding soviet ai, or player controlled soviet, they both need upgrade from the beginning of 1936 scenario.

the sheme for ENG_36 is totally bad

military = {
relative_build_scheme = no
max_batch_peace = 240 only 240 days no wonder they only build every ship in a seperate queue
max_batch_war = 160 even worse, that kills manpower fast when they build inf or mot
max_batch_home_front = 160
extra_convoys_war = 0.0400
extra_convoys_peace = 0.0400

also set upgrade and repair to 30% each. should help to conserve manpower

also found this

# Construction and Tech Research
###################################
#Default values
construction = {
max_factor = 0.10

could that influence the IC for structure repair

Last edited:
Quick question: Does the AI cancels builds once the number of a particular division/brigade is reached? Or is it unable to cancel builds in general? How do exp forces count in that? If the UK gets 20 INF as exp force from its allies - will those count as UK troops for the AI and thus lead to a halt in INF building since the number of divisions is reached?

Damn. The AI files of the latest patch are propably done by Pokemon & Co. :eek: There seems to be so many issues.

I totally agree about uk. They should also build more air units(interceptors an fighters) to save manpower and to actually be a challenge for Deutsche luftwafe.

construction = {
max_factor = 0.10

...means that ai uses 10% of IC for building new buildings (AA,IC,Infra,forts,bases,reactor).

IIRC ai will continue to build units until there is an event that triggers switch with different building scheme.

Last edited:
dont know if it cancels, I dont think it does since I havent seen anny command for that. Thats why I like to increase the batch number to stabilise ai build. overall that makes ai perform better so it seems. I dont think ai even counts troops in absolute numbers, rather in relative numbers comparing other countries. problem with that is that ai will build until manpower is gone, there really needs to be a cap for the major countries at least. like 50 MP for Eng and 200 for SOV for example then ai will only start building new things when MP has gone up 50 points.

the files are messed up bad. USA, SOV, GER dont even upgrade AT ALL, the respective code section is simply not there!

are the ai files the basis to which ai reverts to or does it go back to the standard build in the switch files? does the 36 file only rule until war starts and then the switches take over with their respective parts?

Last edited:
AFAIR if there's no max factor specified for reinforce or upgrades a default of 0.10 or 0.20 is used (don't remember). The max setting for repair should be specified with infrastructure. For more info see the ai_file_doc.txt in the ai filder

max_batch_peace = 800 # Max production run length in DAYS while at peace
max_batch_war = 500 # Max production run length in DAYS while at war with no home front
max_batch_home_front = 190 # Max production run length in DAYS while at war with home fronts

These are the lines which are for longer serials.

upgrading = 0.1 #max % of ic used on this slider

I've noticed that there is no upgrade in sov_1936.ai file. This patch definitely needs lots of AI tweaking.

Definetly need to put these max_batch numbers into practice.

Most countries are running very short runs. I see a lot of 360 for peace and 180 for war in AI files.

However won't that upgrading % result in a lot of outdated units? I think it is more realistic to create a situation where countries will build up a sizeable military than switch to keep that military upgraded.

Another question is on relative build scheme yes or no. The wiki on the subject confuses more than it helps. Does anyone know what it should be and why?

build scheme relative yes means that the values are relative (percentage???) of IC or other nations, dont know. I find it unreliable because I dont know what it regards as relative? if set on no I guess the values are absolute usage of IC. if you say 4 for armor, then it either uses 4% or 4 IC points or something? bottom line is if set to no the ai will build things closer to your intentions and will stick better to the assigned values.

long serial runs lead to lots of outdated units building fast because of the gearing bonus. but when you assign IC to upgrade ai will modernize it later. overall it conserves manpower and lets ai some IC to play with instead of having the production queue clogged with single runs. it also leads to less but better units overall thus less slowdown of the game in later years.

Last edited:
I was going to bed but instead I did test runs with the new batch and further modified ai files and switches. also Arowaner gave me his great events for the Jap-China and winter war - great stuff I think he solved it :eek:

anyway here some results, batch 750 - 450 - 240, repair and upgrade all set to 0.5. remember I changed basic build shemes and switches designed to reflect what the countries should build.

Eng does a good job:
5965962958_e85a22432e_b.jpg

so is Sov:
5965962780_ec7eda0b02_b.jpg

Jap is amazing, saving up on manpower and builds army and good navy at the same time. I dont know much that I would have build differently:
5965962398_12a2527cc7_b.jpg

US gets there and builds enough transports ahead cause they keep losing them later. wired that it builds inf with Harm brig, I never put that in?
5965407103_3db85f366f_b.jpg

Ger is in love with HQs. they already have 6 and build another 4, even though value is set to 1 in the sheme! also still a little too many tanks.
5965406009_ac64d1a811_b.jpg

Ger army is very modern but rather small. It is enough to take all her enemies but I need to see if Ger can win with that agianst Sov. Well there is still time till barbarossa.
5965961958_c93cb8ce89_b.jpg

I think the cause for some wiredness like the Harm brigs and HQ/extra tanks is that that ai cannot build the coded units cause the techs arent known jet. so Ger ai uses the mot amount to build tanks and HQs and US ai uses Harm instead of SPguns and Ltank brigs. but there is really no way to avoid it.:confused:

also I hope that the basic build scheme in the ai file will be taken over by switches such as standard build or land/navy/panic otherwise ai will continue to build light tanks and never builds any mec...:(

so many things still unclear, isnt that fun?;)

Last edited:
ai_file_doc.txt said:
relative_build_scheme = [yes/no] # Should the AI strive to maintain a relative balance between unit types [yes] or simply allocate percentages of the total production [no]. Default: yes
As far as I understand with relative set to yes, the AI will shift build priorities to maintain a balance of unit types according the the percentages in the build shemes. Otherwise it will just allocate IC to unit builds according to the percentages in the build shemes.

If set to yes the AI may react to unit losses (say you lost three armor units) and starts new armor builds or moves active armor production from the bottom of the production screen to the top. The second part is just an interpretation from my side - who really knows what the AI is doing ?

BTW if the division build sheme does not sum up to 100% then the AI may show unpredictable build behaviour. Brigades may be below 100 but shall not be above 100.

This is true and same goes for fighters. No country in 1936 has tech for it.
so many things still unclear, isnt that fun?
It is fun for us but I think the ai doesn't like it :)
If I remember correctly there are mods that have almost perfect building schemes. One of them that I liked most was World in Flames(made for arma and DH).

Last edited:
who really knows what the AI is doing ?

LOL ... aint that the bare truth?!

And who cares what the ai likes or not, it just does as it is told. I find the whole programming and the routines are working well, its just that most of them have been laid dormant by someone who thought it would be fun to mess around in the files. I am sure there were good reasons for it but a lack of proper testing.

I for my part will set the relative value to "no". I dont want the ai suddenly decing that its queue looks better upside down. the switches, who knows when they fire?!, trow around enough stuff already. so no messing with ai interpretations what "balance of unit types according the the percentages in the build shemes" means to it. but thanks for the explanation.

My events not only improve on china-japan war and winter war with finland but they also move capitals to the right place after germany is down and allies have liberated. And they make SOV cede middle east and persia, too (that often gets conquered) most of all it makes allies and soviet liberate and cede sweden and finland correctly. After all there are over 40 of them so they do a few more things. But now that Jap is actually building more ground forces - maybe china is nerfed too much. Did you test it with my events and the new ai build?

And remember that those are AI events for the most part. Only fire when the AI plays the country. So maybe I should put an event in front of that that sleeps them as soon as human plays either china or Japan. Otherwise it might be too easy for them because his country does not have the events but the others still get them. After all I wrote them so that if you play any other country then JAP or CHI you could at least expect to see Nanjing fall and some fighting in Asia. Otherwise India is too safe if JAP does not make any progress.

Why should longer serial builds by the AI lead to more outdated units if this is true? (Said on the 1 page of this thread)

The AI upgrades a serial line, every time a unit is produced if it can.

Yes, I reported it as a bug myself but "Leonartos" said it was working as I descript above.

Btw - I found an unwanted outcome for the Netherlands surrender event when JAP is in axis. Put this in the trigger under NOT = { / after all the prvince id
alliance = { country = GER country = JAP } #if JAP is axis then they will also be at peace with HOL - alternativly you could make spereate peace (value=0) but better like this

If they are not axis then it is fine, they stay at war but since they make peace with Germany (who is the leader oft the axis) it leads to peace with JAP too.

Last edited:
I just want to be sure before I do any bigger modifications. So when we are talking about the repair value, it means the "infrastructure =" value in the ai files?

I just want to be sure before I do any bigger modifications. So when we are talking about the repair value, it means the "infrastructure =" value in the ai files?

appearantly not. this value seems to determine how much ai spends on building AA,radar,forts,factories and such. there are codes to force ai to build IC, like the US and ENG, but they have a endyear to avoid massive IC hoarding by the ai.

Aaarrgggh! So many AI files...

Many thanks though for all the great information provided by people in this thread.

It would be great if everyone could keep chipping in however with the most glaring problems they have encountered. I have already have a much closer look at a number of build schemes :wacko: due to people's observations (and then there are some switches to look at as well!).

I am currently looking at starting OOB and build schemes for the UK dominions (Australia and Canada, and to lesser extent NZ and SAF) and have found considerable room for improvement. Obviously they are no where near as important as ENG, GER, SOV, JAP, USA, etc but still... Hopefully a few more hands off games and I can perfect them and post accordingly.

We really need a comprehensive list of edits (or 1.08 hinty, hint, hint if the developers are still out there :D)

all back to start in the doc file it says that this is the right value, I confused it with construction.

but this line of code is missing from EVERY SINGLE AI FILE. how is this possible!!! or does the ai get like a huge free infra repair bonus???

in the 1.07 patch ai files there are totally missing code segments for upgrading, repair and infrastructure rebuilding and the building schemes are a mess to say the least .... I dont know what to say at all, who does this??? I mean with this files running unmodified the game is effectivly broken and needs an offical hotfix BAD.