Are we going to have a completely brand new engine or EUIII style re-used engine?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thats your only argument lol? So desprate :D. Yes seems i overlooked it.

What's your problem with it? You asked for a similarity, I gave you one. You see, the problem with giving other similarities to you is that you simply say "That one doesn't count". It's like asking someone to give a similarity between EU2 and itself, but it can't be graphics, gameplay, game mechanics, or anything at all, and then acting all smug when he can't provide you with one. So I had to find one that you can't say doesn't count. And I did, so there you have it.

There is a major difference here.
CK spirites varied by area (So there were many variations)
EU 2 spirties were vearied by culture

So you see a major difference.

No I would say that's a minor difference. The similarity is greater than the difference: the army sprites can vary depending on where they're from. That's the main point, and there is a subtle difference, not a major one.

I only said I never played HoI2, I've played all other games.

Wow, so having stripes instead of simply colouring it differently (in Vicky1, Eu2, CK when you occupy a province it doesn't become part of your country, although it is coloured the same) is really a big difference?
Having the cursor look the same is really that important? It's a cursor. What else should it look like? All you're pointing out are interface similarities!

Of course the bugs are similar, if they're caused by the engine! It's the same engine!

I'm not going to discuss this any further... there's really no point.

You never played hoi 2 so you have no clue what i meant. Play HOI 2 first, then reply on it (In hoi 2 land also doesnt automaticaly become a part of your country).

Hey you did have to ask me about the cursor, now that you see that it does endanger your point you deny its importance :D.

In eu 3 its not a bug to be at war with your ally, while it is a bug in hoi 3.

What's your problem with it? You asked for a similarity, I gave you one. You see, the problem with giving other similarities to you is that you simply say "That one doesn't count". It's like asking someone to give a similarity between EU2 and itself, but it can't be graphics, gameplay, game mechanics, or anything at all, and then acting all smug when he can't provide you with one. So I had to find one that you can't say doesn't count. And I did, so there you have it.

No I would say that's a minor difference. The similarity is greater than the difference: the army sprites can vary depending on where they're from. That's the main point, and there is a subtle difference, not a major one.

The point is that there is a difference (Not to mention that they fight differently and look very differently).

The point is that there is a difference (Not to mention that they fight differently and look very differently).

Yeah, well there's a difference between the sprites of EU3 and HoI3 as well, now isn't there? They look different and they fight differently, woohoo.

Yeah, well there's a difference between the sprites of EU3 and HoI3 as well, now isn't there? They look different and they fight differently, woohoo.

Acctualy if you compare the size of the difference of CK/EU2 and HOI3/EU3 they have a similar stance, they fight similary, the only big difference is that one looks ww2 and the second depending on the eu 3 era lol.

ZmajOgnjeniVuk-Well in this case noone even made a choice, they have just let it be lol.

The unconvincing thing is how they are going to model all of the industrial and population in just one engine without stripping some of the features we see in Vicky? HoI3 has its research team stripped of because the game like I said before has to adjust with the engine...

You know that Vicky 1 and EU2 shared the same engine? If they managed to do it with the old engine, why wouldn't they be able to do so with the new (and more adaptable) one?

Not having read the thread, but:

as we can see, there is already a HOI2 style map mod in the works for HOI3.

Now, we can hope that Paradox catches the drift, and either starts Vicky2 with an "old stlye" map (something resembling a painted 19th cnetury map would absolutely be fitting), or at least makes it very, very easy to mod.

Or, if they have the time and manpower, why not code in both styles of map?

I believe that the odds of a completely brand new engine are pretty low, but that is just my opinion.

I preffer a HoI3 engine, you can build on the quality. I think of it as a production bonus such as you get in HoI3.:cool:

Vicky2 will be more stable and better for it, all the improvements in the AI by release alone...

Well seeing the risk they are taking making a sequel to their less sold game I think it's fair not to expect they'd make a brand new engine for it *grins* And anyway the engine is getting better with each iteration

Not having read the thread, but:

as we can see, there is already a HOI2 style map mod in the works for HOI3.

Now, we can hope that Paradox catches the drift, and either starts Vicky2 with an "old stlye" map (something resembling a painted 19th cnetury map would absolutely be fitting), or at least makes it very, very easy to mod.

Or, if they have the time and manpower, why not code in both styles of map?

I hope for a faithful replication of the original Vicky map but in 3d. As much of the same feel as possible other than that, and to me the original Vicky map didn't feel hand-painted and Victorian, just beautiful.

The Clausewitz engine is improving with every game, so why would they stop using it now and start from scratch again? The previous engine was becoming outdated graphically, and probably contained both a lot of limiting initial design decisions made when they were less experienced as a dev team, as well as stuff that grew organically from EU -> HOI2 to compensate for them. It makes sense then to start over. But at this moment I see no reason to, Clausewitz is not outdated and they seem to still stand behind the decisions they made with EU3.

Developing an entirely new engine costs a lot of money, you can bet that they will milk it to the last drop. It's probably not a coincidence that the first two titles to feature 3D, Diplomacy and EU3, were easily marketable titles, unlike 'cult classic' Victoria. My guess is now that the engine is ready and paid for, there's less risk in doing Victoria 2.

The Clausewitz engine is improving with every game, so why would they stop using it now and start from scratch again? The previous engine was becoming outdated graphically, and probably contained both a lot of limiting initial design decisions made when they were less experienced as a dev team, as well as stuff that grew organically from EU -> HOI2 to compensate for them. It makes sense then to start over. But at this moment I see no reason to, Clausewitz is not outdated and they seem to still stand behind the decisions they made with EU3.

Developing an entirely new engine costs a lot of money, you can bet that they will milk it to the last drop. It's probably not a coincidence that the first two titles to feature 3D, Diplomacy and EU3, were easily marketable titles, unlike 'cult classic' Victoria. My guess is now that the engine is ready and paid for, there's less risk in doing Victoria 2.

quite.

From my reading of the various posts by King, Susana and Johan, the Paradox developers were able to convince the finance and marketing people that they could do a good job for a sequel to their least popular title without taking a big commercial risk.

Without the ability to reuse their new engine, which is starting to mature, that wouldn't be possible...

"There were no similarities between CK/HOI 2/Victoria/EU 2. All games were totaly different in all aspects, graphics, warfare, economic system, state..."

Seriously? Have you ever played any combination of those four games? If you did.. you'd see they were blatantly based off the same engine, made by the same team, and designed with the same basic philosophy.

"There were no similarities between CK/HOI 2/Victoria/EU 2. All games were totaly different in all aspects, graphics, warfare, economic system, state..."

Seriously? Have you ever played any combination of those four games? If you did.. you'd see they were blatantly based off the same engine, made by the same team, and designed with the same basic philosophy.

Yup what worked for EU2 certainly did not for CK and viccky, The subject matter tended to carry HOI further than the latter but essentially they were the same basic game.

I wouldn't expect a new engine for a few years. This one has only been in use since 2007 so there is a while yet to go. Personally I prefer it over the old engine however.