• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
(( I want to state that I am against the coup, but i don't want to conflict with the update ))

My only problem with Romano is his interventionism; if he declares his support for laissez-faire, I'll back him (which is why I initially supported the coup).

The update will be as it will, I wont ask ThunderHawk to change it. But on the record, I would wish to drop my support for either party and support a return to democracy from either (if only because we made this way to complicated).

((No, his hair really just kinda went... poof... and he was suddenly about ninety, the stress of this mess getting to him))

((Are we supporting coups over...free trade?))

The 1846 Coup​

General, then Minister, Fernando Zepeda had plotted a coup for years - not against President Badajoz, as one might have expected, but rather with him. Having slowly gathered his support over the decade, the politician-turn-general-turn-minister finally decided his time had come. On January 1st, 1841, Minister of the Interior Fernando Zepeda declared that regularly scheduled elections were suspended and he would take the position of President, asserting that time of war was no time to hold an election. He enjoyed near unanimous support, or so he thought.

Zepeda had communicated with each conspirator in private (excepting, perhaps, Roseno) and each knew nothing of the others. He approached Romano, Minister of the Treasury, only hours before the coup was to begin. Romano now famously fled down the street to the capitol and, breathless, burst into Badajoz's office and announced that Zepeda was planning a coup. Badajoz's calm response of "I know," told Romano all he needed to know, and he fled into the streets of Santiago.

News of the coup spread through the nation like wildfire. Roseno, who already knew of the plot, calmly sent his reply - he would support the Republic against any attempt by Zepeda to seize power, regardless of Badajoz's orders. Zepeda called him a traitor, as Roseno was a co-conspirator. Roseno replied that he had only intended to plot against the democracy for the greater good. He began a march back to Santiago immediately, 5,000 loyal soldiers in the tow.

News was muddled when it reached the front line in northern Argentina by courier. Initially, General Antonio de Santa Rosa believed the coup was an attempt to support the military and suspend elections only as necessary. When General Carrow and Colonel Manuel Carrera (one of de Santa Rosa's brigade commanders) stated openly that they would not support such a coup, a fight nearly broke out in the ranks, to the alarm of the Columbian soldiers camped nearby.

The situation was defused without bloodshed when de Santa Rosa received his first directive from the new "President" Zepeda, ordering that opponents of the coup be immediately imprisoned or executed. Alarmed, de Santa Rosa switched sides and agreed to oppose the coup. With his defection, the entire military of Chile, six brigades standing (excluding Carrow's shattered cavalry) was in opposition.

The cabinet was not united in support of the coup either, as Zepeda had hoped. The Minister of the Treasury stood clearly against, and Admiral Alvarez, minister of the war, initially declared against the coup as he believed it be an attempt by Zepeda to unseat Badajoz. However, President Badajoz soon gave a highly public speech in the streets of Santiago declaring his support for Zepeda and a later conversation with Alvarez convinced him to switch sides. Gales, Minister of State, was out of the country and could not be reached in either case.

Romano, Minister of the Treasury, escaped into Santiago and gave his own speech. Before a large crowd he declared that no free Chileans should support such a coup. In the ensuing confusion, the commander of the Capitol infantry declared himself against the coup, while the commander of the Santiago Cavalry, the capitol Mounted Guard, declared himself neutral, expressing only a wish to avoid bloodshed.

Zepeda and Badajoz quickly mobilized their supporters in Santiago, and 3,000 armed men raided the armories and took to the streets in their support. The same occurred in Patagonia, where Roseno had only just arrived. Neither battle lasted long - Roseno surrounded and defeated the rebels in Patagonia, as he had always been tasked with doing, on the 5th of January.

On the sixth, the capitol infantry overran the last crude barricade erected by Zepeda's supporters before the capitol building itself and stormed the Palacio de La Moneda, capturing Zepeda, Badajoz, and Alvarez. The coup ended on the morning of January 7th, 1846, as the coup's supporters stood down after less than a week in power.

Minister of the Treasury Eduardo Romano was declared provisional president, as the highest ranking member of the cabinet still in the country following the coup, and life went on in Santiago.

-------------------------

Player Actions Needed:
EDIT: In case that wasn't crystal clear, the Republicans have triumphed over the Coup and the democracy is maintained. Elections will continue.

Zepeda, Badajoz, and Alvarez are disenfranchised as they have lost a coup -- they may not vote until the next election. Them's the rules.

Folks, the coup rules are incredibly simple. It's like any other election except only ministers and generals can vote. Either declare yourself FOR or AGAINST the coup. In the future you can't switch votes after you've declared. That's honestly all there is to it. I will look at which brigades are under whose control and make them fight, whoever wins wins.

Continue voting on those bills and signing up to be candidates. Sign ups close tomorrow night.

EDIT: Whoops. Forgot to mention that Romano is President now. Fixed.
EDIT2: Coup=7 pages of confused posts in an hour.

Last edited:
"We have succeeded in ousting the overtly ambitious, power hungry plotters! But we in the military cannot accept the responsibility for this victory. No, it was you, the citizens of the republic, that knew these men were not here for the betterment of our country, but to own their own domain. You, the citizens of the land where the sun never sets, have proved essential in maintaining the freedom endorsed by this regime. Viva La Chile!"

-General Cesar Roseno

I again announce my candidacy for President under the Liberale ticket; I hope sincerely that the Conservadores, Nationalistas, and Monarquistas will support me in my bid. I offer to President Romano, who was instrumental in stopping this coup, to join me, as Minister of the Interior. If not, I would be more than willing to maintain my command or take any cabinet position and accept his presidency. I will offer cabinet positions, military appointments, and begin compromising on issues to create a form of "unity ticket" to promote democracy.

I hope that we can move past this dark episode of Chilean history... I apologize for the role I played in it.

((Uhhh, was anyone removed from the Nationales primaries? Kinda want a spot there.))

Nope. I can't bump anyone on your behalf... Maybe you can convince someone to drop out after all that's happened.

You never left the Liberales ticket, Riccardo.

Nope. I can't bump anyone on your behalf... Maybe you can convince someone to drop out after all that's happened.

You never left the Liberales ticket, Riccardo.

((Ah, OK! The seven pages of madness made me wonder about my candidacy and the elections in general... thanks for clearing that up!))

"Would any Nationales candidates be willing to support me in their position, in exchange for a high level post if I am elected?"

-General Cesar Roseno

((Hm, TH, could I run for another Party? Jingoism, Full Citizenship, Secular, and Interventionist...does that HAVE to be Nationales?))

((Urgent telegram from Maipú to Santiago))

I finally figured out what is going on! Romano, you can be sure to have my support in the dark times to... What? The coup is over?! Who won?! We did! Well good! In that case, I'll just keep doing what I'm doing, and good luck with the ruling the country thing, if you need my help just ask.

-A very confused Armando de Vasces

"Would any Nationales candidates be willing to support me in their position, in exchange for a high level post if I am elected?"

-General Cesar Roseno

((Hm, TH, could I run for another Party? Jingoism, Full Citizenship, Secular, and Interventionist...does that HAVE to be Nationales?))

Er... are you declared as a Nacional? I've lost track. Conservadores or Independent, maybe, but Independent means you need a coalition.

News was muddled when it reached the front line in northern Argentina by courier. Initially, General Antonio de Santa Rosa believed the coup was an attempt to support the military and suspend elections only as necessary. When General Carrow and Colonel Manuel Carrera (one of de Santa Rosa's brigade commanders) stated openly that they would not support such a coup, a fight nearly broke out in the ranks, to the alarm of the Columbian soldiers camped nearby.
((That must have been really awkward for the Colombians.

Folks, the coup rules are incredibly simple.
They are very simple... it's just that this coup was everything but simple.

I think it might be best for us to avoid coup's that support the present government unless the current president declares them (which would just mean such plotters would have to seek the support of the President first, with whatever claims to success they could give, or else coup directly against the regime). Not necessarily as a hard and fast rule, but just as a rule of thumb for the next coups. Or perhaps a three-way loyalty vote for those cases: For the coup, Against the coup, or With the president, with the president's decision taking all the With's with it.

EDIT2: Coup=7 pages of confused posts in an hour.
:D
))

Congratulations to whoever won, I honestly have no clue what happened this entire time. Decentralized at the most extreme.

To be honest I feel this one coup has left a couple people a raw deal due to the chaos caused by the decentralization and was not in all parts fair. All I can say is I am glad I know the rules, for once, now. I am not saying anything against you ThunderHawk, but whether it was us who made this cascade into madness or anything else, it did not come off as neatly as it could have. It was never made clear the nature of the cabinet members, the nature of the capitol stack, the nature of the generals, the changing of the stances in the coup, the this that and the other. (Yes, it was not clear, and I know it was not just me.)

I am sure we can all learn from this coup experience as a thread.

Congrats to Romero, Roseno, Rodrigo, and the Conservadore/Nationalisto coalition which will destroy Chile!

¡El Chile para los chilenos ahora es chile para los perros!