Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I caught up!!! I really made it! Took me four days of no other spare-time-activity than reading this thread! :p

Excellent battle so far - scary in the beginning, then offering a glimpse of hope, then a crush of that hope, followed by yet another upturn! :D
Hopefully we'll smash 'em prix to smitherens and drag what we can back to earth, where my character can work in his lab on analyzing the techs.

Our 20-missile half-salvo slams into Mughal 003, scoring 16 hits (!) and setting off a strength-9 secondary explosion that rips the ship apart! Scratch the third Prix Cruiser... two left in this group.

The other half of the salvo, and the six-missile spread against the most heavily-damaged ship, should both impact in ten or fifteen more seconds.

Our 20-missile half-salvo slams into Mughal 003, scoring 16 hits (!) and setting off a strength-9 secondary explosion that rips the ship apart! Scratch the third Prix Cruiser... two left in this group.

The other half of the salvo, and the six-missile spread against the most heavily-damaged ship, should both impact in ten or fifteen more seconds.

Excellent news, especially since it will be 3am here in ten or fifteen more minutes. I should be able to go to sleep safe in the knowledge that I won't get vaporised.

What's the tactical situation looking like in terms of the other four Prix ships? Are they close enough to each other to support each others PD? Is one still heading away? ETA on getting within missile firing range of them?

The other half of our salvo slams into Beki 001 and blows it to pieces with 12 hits. Four down.

The six-missile mini-salvo should reach the crippled Mughal 002 within seconds.

Earth 4 - Evil space dicks 0

What's the tactical situation looking like in terms of the other four Prix ships? Are they close enough to each other to support each others PD? Is one still heading away?

Bandit-2 (two ships) and Bandit-3 (one ship) are 22.5 m-km away, and positioned quite close together. Bandit-4 (Khan, the 14,000-tonner) is still widrawing, and about 15 m-km further away.

ETA on getting within missile firing range of them?

We won't be getting within range of them.... they will be chasing us. So it's hard to say.

Of course, if we include fighters, it's 4-49... Total tonnage perhaps?

... or build time. We can build a fighter in less than a week, without tying up a slipway.

... or build time. We can build a fighter in less than a week, without tying up a slipway.

If we did it on replacement build time, we could lose the whole fleet and, as long as we killed one Prix ship, we'd still come out on top :)

So it looks like we'll have to deal with three ships, all providing supporting firepower to each other? It certainly sounds doable, given that our only lost capability so far is long range strike power through fighters. It remains to be seen just what PD those three will have though... And there's always the possibility that another Prix squadron has been closing all this time, unseen. Still, things continue to look up.

Our one-ship spread of six missiles scores six hits on the last surviving member of Bandit-1, and their Thermal signature drops below our ability to track it! We still have a solid lock on them with our active sensors, so another one-ship salvo is ordered. We'll try to finish them off without needlessly wasting any missiles.

Well, damn. Bandit I is practically out of the picture, and most of our combat fleet is still intact.

Capt. Kiwi - even if they were able to repair, though, we'd still be coming off on top: they'd need a year+ to begin to recoup the losses we've inflicted so far. We can have recouped those same losses in large part by the time the fleet makes it back to Earth.

Of course, there's still Bandit 2 and Bandit 3 to deal with before we get there...

Sensors report that the target's speed has dropped to 1747 km/s... even our slow Mine-layers could run rings around them!

Precursors don't respawn. They are generated when the system is generated........

I started a (learning) game with no Precursors nor Swarm as set up, but I'm thinking of "checking the boxes" later on when I will feel more confident.
How does it work then ?
Will they be created in any system, even the ones I would eventually already discovered and explored ? :confused:

..... take that as a compliment, as soon as i found out about Aurora in Blue Emu´s threads, i haven´t touched anything else on my computer.

Neither me ! :D

My girlfriend is quite pissed at me because since two weeks I spend half of the nights reeding this AAR and most of my days trying to figure how Aurora works.

"How can you like THAT, there is not pictures !" she tell me..... :p

Well, damn. Bandit I is practically out of the picture, and most of our combat fleet is still intact.

Capt. Kiwi - even if they were able to repair, though, we'd still be coming off on top: they'd need a year+ to begin to recoup the losses we've inflicted so far. We can have recouped those same losses in large part by the time the fleet makes it back to Earth.

Of course, there's still Bandit 2 and Bandit 3 to deal with before we get there...

What I meant was that since the Prix can't build new ships, only repair them, their replacement build time is infinite. If that's our measure then any amount of losses would be justified by one Prix ship killed. Personally, while willing to lay my life down for the emucrat, I'd hope I was valued a little higher than that :)

I take it the Agincourt gets to make the killing blow? That should cheer up the crew, given that they have parts of their armour completely blown away.

Were there any crew casualties on the Agincourt? (Didn't realize until Alice what's her name that the game tracked crew past the officers.)

I take it the Agincourt gets to make the killing blow? That should cheer up the crew, given that they have parts of their armour completely blown away.

Better use her while she's still around.

If we see another salvo of missiles coming our way, I'd suggest transferring all of Agincourt's ammo off to another ship, to save it in case Agi is the target.

What kind of ships are Bandit 2 and 3?

Right now, I think we can assume Beki is beam ship, with massively powerful power plant for the beam weapons - explains the huge explosion.
Mughal explosion fits more with engine explosion.
Retrating khan is probably a missile-launchers who gets out of the way, or goes to reload.
I should check back to see if Khan retreated after or before the suspected launch of size-1 missile. Because Khan and Mughal are missile-launchers, one class for anti-missile, the other for long-range anti-ship missiles.

I also suspect either Bandits 2 and 3 don't have missiles, or have already launched them and they will hit soon. At 25m km, they're way beyond Prix firing range, from what I can tell of the right against Bandits 1.