• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Unbelievable, Zog's Empire now touches on four continents.

Amazing work eqqman.

I also see from reviewing my notes I forgot to welcome you to this adventure... so, welcome!

I love the names of those Light Cruisers in the 3. Royal Albanian Navy :p
Will we ever see an "Operation Zog Fury" against the US?

That might be unlikely since I am not on track with getting enough divisions produced. However, if the USA is going to squander all its men by giving them away to China, leaving North America sort of empty, then I could be able to go for it.

I'm thinking I may have made a strategic error in my war planning. Aside from the first Militia division that I am required to produce to defend Tirane from the Italians, I might have been able to get by the entire game up to this point producing nothing except the ships I needed to invade the UK. Since I quickly got tons of raw materials from my puppets in Europe I might have been far better off just preparing Albania to crank out ICs so that by the early 1940s I could start doing a better job of burning through my manpower.

Oh, and the 2nd Royal Albanian Navy has taken enough losses that they will be merged with the 3rd Royal Albanian Navy, so all those crews are about to be hit with an unexpected promotion.

I will probably repeat myself but have you changed occupational laws to military? You have the same problem as I have with Lithuania - not enough IC to burn all MP. Changing policy helped a bit. If you buy licences then 10% in leadership changes nothing.

Coincidently you are bogged in China as I am and Americans are helping Chinesse as in my game :)

Btw, congrats with the AARland Choice award.

I will probably repeat myself but have you changed occupational laws to military? You have the same problem as I have with Lithuania - not enough IC to burn all MP. Changing policy helped a bit. If you buy licenses then 10% in leadership changes nothing.

Coincidentally you are bogged in China as I am and Americans are helping Chinese as in my game :).

I'll have to take a closer look at it. I have a pretty firm policy on never doing anything but Collaboration government since I really despise having to hunt Partisans. But maybe I can make an exception for the areas that have enough ICs in them to make that a good return on my investment.

My dalliance with Australia has taken enough time that I've fielded another corps of Infantry, but that may not be enough to help in China. We'll see, though.

Btw, congrats with the AARland Choice award.

Thanks!

Congrats eqqman, its a wonderfully well done AAR

Started reading this one a while ago, but forgot about it. After you finished your UK one, I found this again.

I have now caught up and will be following :)

Great to see you back!

[size=+1]1943, Spring – Back to the Grindstone[/size]

As Spring comes, it is time for a bit of Spring cleaning. Not much is happened in Europe outside of some partisan activity. It looks like I missed one in Sweden and he has escaped judgment long enough to put the Swedes back on the map. Why all these French didn’t attack him, I couldn’t say (this will be a recurring problem: my friends surround enemy partisans and never fight them). In Norway, I have a partisan unit that has free reign because apparently the Norwegians haven’t been given enough Infrastructure to reach every corner of their own territory! I will have to waste my time sending a fleet all the way over there if I want to root out those troublemakers. I think this is terrible map design.

Ch16_01_NorwayRoads.jpg

Reviewing the political scene, I now have enough minister candidates available to make it worthwhile to check to see if I should replace anyone. I see that I now have a ‘Man of the People’ available, so Eqrem Libohova moves in as Minister of Security. Bowing to pressure from the local Albanian economists, harsher occupation laws are implemented in both Sweden and Romania to try and get more industrial output from these areas. If these people would only just happily submit to being part of the Albanian Empire such laws would not be necessary.

Ch16_02_AlbaniaPolitics.jpg

In an emotional session of the government, Emperor Zog hears a petition from the people of Tirane. After losing the Pride of Tirane off Cyprus and the Pride of Tirane II off Australia, the people feel that such events are too heartbreaking to the morale of the city and no longer wish to be associated with warships of the Royal Albanian Navy. While saddened by this news, Zog will respect the wishes of his people. There are more than enough Admirals at the moment who won’t mind being in the public eye.

Ch16_03_GovtSpeech.jpg

Down in the War Office, it is time to discuss the renewed attack on China. Albanian power has only gone up marginally since the last visit to those shores, and Australia will likely need to be garrisoned. Any further actions there may require a bold plan.

”Well, now, uh, Lancelot, Galahad, and I, uh, wait until nightfall, and then leap out of the rabbit, taking the French, uh, by surprise. Not only by surprise, but totally unarmed!” – Sir Bedevere

4 April: After many months the Chinese are back.

Ch16_04_ChineseAttack.jpg

6 April: Attack on Brisbane, the new Aussie capital.

Ch16_05_BrisbaneAttack.jpg

10 April: Taking Brisbane puts the Aussies at 97% surrender. One more VP ought to do it.

17 April: The CAS unit I had on license is finished. Albania has an Air Force! Those ICs are redirected to buying Marines from Japan.

Ch16_06_AirForce.jpg

19 April: I move into the undefended Perth, and it is all over for Australia. Now I’m about ready for round two with the Chinese. It will take a while however for my troops to move by rail from the Outback back to the Australian ports. Zog awards a medal to the commander of the Albanian forces in Australia. Next time though, I will make sure my generals come from Luxembourg.

Ch16_07_AustraliaDown.jpg

21 April: Turkey mobilizes. I decide to gamble and give them a DoW. My puppets have lots of troops here, and my original concern with not wanting to have a border with the USSR is now invalid. I’m also hoping that if we have a war here, my puppets might give me some more troops that I will badly need in China (both thoughts will prove correct later).

Ch16_08_Turkey.jpg

30 April: Latvia mobilizes.

1 May: My puppets swarm to Turkey.

”That guy! Swarm! Swarm!” – Jerry Seinfeld

Ch16_09_TurkeySwarmed.jpg

Looking around at the Albanian core provinces, I’m a little puzzled. I don’t see a single one that contains IC, so I don’t know how the game was accounting for the little amount that I had at the beginning. Not even Tirane has ICs in it! I have completed my first level of Fortifications there, however. Just in case we tackle with the Russians and lose, I want to be able to say that Albania held out.

Ch16_10_Tirane.jpg

7 May: My bombing attacks on the Chinese troops near Vietnam reveals that these areas are incredibly overstacked. I have a bit of a plan in mind for them. I’m also still struggling to get my Officer Ratio back up- 129% at the moment.

Ch16_11_ChinaStack.jpg

9 May: For some reason that partisan Militia in Sweden was a very tough nut to crack, so I had to take extreme measures and send in more troops. Note the troops of my French puppet minding their own business.

Ch16_12_Sweden.jpg

21 May: I get caught by a USA fleet while shipping men back to China. This battle costs me a Transport but luckily little else since they weren’t fully laden. As I watch the progress of my ships, it looks like USN is trying to pursue them. Run for it, lads! Err- swim for it, lads!

Ch16_13_USNAttack.jpg

22 May: I *am* being pursued, and a different fleet gets caught the next day. Again I get lucky in the aftermath. Reviewing all my warships after this battle is over, I find out that the credit for this win couldn’t have gone to a more deserving vessel…

Ch16_14_NavalVictory.jpg

25 May: Another Light Cruiser done, time to order up some more from Japan.

Ch16_15_LightCruiser.jpg

26 May: I need to make one more trip at least to Australia to pick up troops, so I reshuffle my two working fleets around so that I am sending ships that are all 90% repaired or better. Not too much progress going on in Turkey, but that front just mainly gives my puppets something to do.

Ch16_16_TurkeyFront.jpg

30 May: I’m wondering if I should take the time to clean out every Dutch port, since the USN may be hiding in one or more of them.

4 June: My Officer Ratio is back up to 140%. I will then change the Conscription Laws to One-Year Draft so that the IC costs of my ground units are drastically lowered. This will allow me to get more of them queued up and produced. With the reinforcement cost changes in FtM, I don’t know if in the long-term it is more IC efficient to try and build units as regulars no matter what the price, but I do know that this will be the most cost-effective way to just get divisions on the map when I am IC-limited. At the moment that is all I care about. As an example, my Mountain Infantry that are on license had an IC cost of 3.08, now they are 1.17. I’m not clear on what I will have to pay later to get these men up to 100% strength, but as I said before, I’m trying to push harder to get more units produced. To take advantage of this, I buy more troops on license.

7 June: A fleet is coming back from Australia with troops. It is heavily laden and if the USN sinks any Transports before they get to China, I will lose brigades.

10 June: I am now ready for a bold stroke against China. My first target is to pocket and eliminate the stack of troops at Qinzhou on the coast. I will do this by landing in Beihai and attacking the province of Xiaodong that is above Qinzhou from two sides. When I have Xiaodong, then the troops in Qinzhou will be unable to retreat and I can pick them off. Then I can do a similar move with the Chinese stack that is facing off with me near Hainan Island.

Ch16_18_Warplan.jpg

12 June: I take Turkey and my plan for China is in action. I can see many of these units here are gifts from the USA. I then notice that I received another 5 divisions as gifts from my puppets. Just the thing to garrison Turkey. I will also set them to ‘Military Government’ as their Occupation policy. There will be no question for the Turks that the government in Tirane has its eye on them.

”Master, there are some people here to see you. I think they are from the government.”
“How do you know?”
“They are wearing shoes” – Renfield & Count Vladimir Dracula

Ch16_19_ChinaLanding.jpg

21 June: My plan isn’t going well since I am taking too long.

Ch16_20_BadPlan.jpg

26 June: My plan has failed; I may have to wait until I have Marines handy before I try again. Luckily the USN does not pop by to attack the ships that are carrying away my retreating men.

”Whoopi would have made it work” – Bruce Vilanch

30 June: Nationalist China takes Mengkukuo out of the war. My failed attack will cost me an HQ unit that is stupid enough to retreat into the Chinese interior instead of to my waiting ships.

Ch16_21_Aftermath.jpg

Spring moves into summer. Outside in the streets of Tirane, children are engaged in play but the men inside the government buildings are grim. A new plan needs to be hatched to make an offensive in China.

Maybe you should just encircle the troops by the island, that way that stack is gone, and troops are diverted from the stacks along the Vietnam border, weakening 2 fronts at once.

Maybe you should just encircle the troops by the island, that way that stack is gone, and troops are diverted from the stacks along the Vietnam border, weakening 2 fronts at once.

I will end up doing that eventually, but I had hoped this encirclement would work since there are many more stacks here, so the prize is far greater. I'm not overly concerned yet with persuading these guys to leave the border since they haven't been inclined to attack despite their vast numbers.

The Norwegian map is not wrong afair, it is disjoint as at that time you had to take ship to get there (or go through Sweden). The Norwegian coastal ferries are still sailing up there I saw recently.

The Norwegian map is not wrong afair, it is disjoint as at that time you had to take ship to get there (or go through Sweden).

Really? That must be a pain. I'm not convinced that level of realism though makes the game more fun to play.

So you'd rather the English send troops through the Sahara to attack your Italian allies in Libya? :p

Well, in a WWII-based game, I *would* expect any area of major importance to be pretty accurate regardless of theatre. But, I don't see any value in making the backwaters that are unlikely to have any relevance in 99% of games suck as much as historically possible. Big stretches of trackless wilderness like the Amazon, Outback, Himalayas, Gobi desert, Yukon, etc., are obvious, but are you really going to try and convince me that there was really not even a jeep trail in the 40s between Perth and Geraldton or Ermouth (as one example besides upper Norway)?

Anyway, I'm not really going to be losing much sleep over this, but I am a little worried that the CPP guys are going to go too nuts with making the Tibetan highlands even worse than they are already because it is "too easy" to invade northern India... even though the real issue is that the Allies (human and AI) are just too lazy to bother to defend India properly. But that's a discussion for a mod or history forum. The Zogster has enough on his plate without having to worry about visits from cartographers!

The only real substance I took from that was "The Zogster," and I feel that is all that was needed :p
Anyway, lets get back on track by figuring out how best to defeat the Chinese. I say nukes, but I don't think Emperor Zog has been looking too closely into such matters....

The only real substance I took from that was "The Zogster," and I feel that is all that was needed :p

Heh you're right, looking back, my last comment was a little more "stream of consciousness" than I might have liked. Here's something a little more cogent:

The Infrastructure concept, like a few others I could but won't mention, is implemented in a way that leads to game mechanics which are at odds with player expectations of what they feel they should be able to do. Regardless of the state of roads, rail, etc., it is never really *impossible* for a person to get from point A to point B despite the terrain. At worst it is just merely a bad idea for that person to try. The real issue from the point of view of a military simulation is one of bandwidth. I won't be convinced that it is impossible for one soldier to move through any kind of terrain. I *am* easily convinced that you can not move a million soldiers through every kind of terrain and still have them all arrive at the same time and in any kind of shape for fighting. But the HOI3 system fails at both of these extremes. At level 1, all land movement is *impossible*. However, after merely moving up to level 2, suddenly I can move a million men through the same province and they will all arrive at the same speed together, even if the only conceivable trail is a single-file path. You can make some adjustments to my argument based on the game's supply mechanics, but the main point remains valid. Even if they go out of supply, there is still no limit to the amount of men that can be moved through the level 2 province with strategic movement. But level 1? Bupkiss.

Now then, given acceptance of this mechanic for good or bad, I am okay with seeing it applied rigorously in the key areas of WWII so that campaigns in various theatres are encouraged to play out historically. I am less okay with trying to do the same in remote backwaters that have no real bearing on the outcomes of WWII, and where the only reason you are likely to visit these areas is to fight partisans, which is one of the least enjoyable parts of the game (for me anyway). Knowing that they may have given northern Norway or Western Australia historically terrible roads doesn't enhance my enjoyment of the game in the same manner that having the Sahara or the Amazon blocked does. I'm also a little unhappy that they didn't tie Infrastructure with Revolt Risk. It would be logical to me that an area at 20% infra would have 20% the risk of a more developed region. Both because by definition there are likely fewer people there to rebel to begin with, but the partisans should also have just as much trouble moving into and operating in such regions as the police would.

Either way, all off topic of the subject of Albanian dominance and not likely to ever be changed. This concludes the rant from the Tirane palace.

[size=+1]1943, Summer – Persian Rugs[/size]

With the arrival of summer, the mood in Albania is somber instead of joyful. While the press works hard to keep up the nation’s spirits, the people know that things are no longer going well and the path to Albanian greatness will not be as easy as they once assumed. There is some good news: Turkey has been added to the Empire. Quick discussions are happening in the War Office… perhaps Persia should be invaded so that more news of Albanian victories can be reported to the people?

Ch17_01_MiddleEast.jpg

China becomes more and more of a problem. They are clearly being propped up by the United States, which seems to be going all-out to support their main ally in their war against the Axis. The Albanian economy cannot hope to keep up with the full industrial might of the United States, even with our conquests. The new policy of sending out divisions without their full load of equipment may help, but only time will tell. A division of Mountain troops will arrive in July. Three divisions of Marines are slated for December. A full corps of Infantry minus their Artillery support comes in October (the Artillery finishes in December). A couple of police divisions are also being built. Zog has been very slow to realize that with such powerful puppets and allies at his disposal, Albania should not try and produce anything based on local designs so that they can take advantage of the best technology the world has to offer. Nevertheless, some minimal advances in Albanian technology will continue so that a minimal level of quality will be maintained throughout the older armed forces.

The current Albanian technology priorities are Destroyer, Industrial Production, and Industrial Efficiency. Tirane is a level 6 port with 60% Infrastructure. While decent, this is below the standards the Albanian people deserve for the capital of their Empire. The requirements of maintaining our overseas supply lines demand that Tirane be upgraded to one of the transportation capitals of the world.

1 July: My men in Asia are recovering their ORG and taking time out for some publicity photos. I DoW Persia.

Ch17_02_GroupPhoto.jpg

2 July: My vast puppet army heads for Persia. I immediately get a gift of four more divisions.

Ch17_03_TurkeyArmy.jpg

4 July: Another gift from Germany.

5 July: My Mountain division finishes. Time to queue up some more. I see that the gifted troops have dropped my Officer Ratio back down to 130%, so I need to shift my Leadership back to raising it again.

8 July: I’m gifted another four divisions.

9 July: I complete the Destroyer tech, so it’s time again to change my laws and build up the Officer Ratio.

12 July: More gifted divisions. The DoW on Turkey and Persia will be worth it for this alone. This is two more corps I can send to China. The navy is being recalled from Asia to get those troops shipped over ASAP.

”... and not once did I ask `what's in it for me?`” – Ray Kinsella

22 July: Two more gifted divisions.

26 July: Mengkukuo is liberated.

28 July: Officer Ratio back to 140%, so I’m back to tech research and One-Year Draft.

6 July: Another corps gifted by Germany. The Albanian people are overjoyed at this outpouring of support from their staunch ally. Most of these divisions have been 3x INF + ART, but there is also a sprinkling of 3x INF with either ENG, AT, or even AA.

9 August: Another flood of gifted divisions, reporting them seems to be a waste of my time since it is non-stop at the moment. If it ever dies down a bit I’ll work out just exactly what I have here now. China is SO toast if I can get these men shipped over there. Later this day, my fleets arrive in Haiphong so I will try my original plan once more.

10 August: Here I go again.

”Here I go again on my own… going down the only road I’ve ever known” - Whitesnake

Ch17_04_VietnamAttack.jpg

20 August: Mengkukuo is conquered again. I’m still fighting the battle near Haiphong.

Ch17_05_BattleContinues.jpg

24 August: I win the battle to make the pocket, and Nationalist China immediately dumps the trapped men into the hands of the Guangxi Clique. The amount of men I can eliminate is less than I hoped, but anything will do. It is time to send the navy back to get more troops.

Ch17_06_PocketMade.jpg

30 August: That pocket of troops in China is eliminated.

Ch17_07_PocketCleared.jpg

31 August: I have enough troops here now that I turn operations over to the AI general who promptly orders a general attack. Zog approves.

”Kid tested, mother approved” – Kix advert

Ch17_08_ChinaFront.jpg

3 September: For some reason I don’t understand, my men here at Hainan haven’t been able to recover their strength even though I keep the supply route here fully crewed at all times. I even think a division might have disappeared. Are they getting bombed? I don’t know.

Ch17_09_WeakUnits.jpg

20 September: I make a landing to prepare to eliminate the troops facing me across the channel in Hainan.

Ch17_10_HainanLandings.jpg

28 September: That pocket of troops near Hainan is eliminated. I am slowly advancing all along the front.

3 October: As the autumn creeps in, Albania is finally on the march.

Ch17_11_Advancing.jpg

Who knows what the end of the year will bring? (Hopefully, more Albanian soldiers)

Ch17_12_Recruitment.jpg

(poster reads “Army of King Zog”)​