• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
My Hayden, what are your views on allowing the German Empire into the Commonwealth? You say only democratic nations may be allowed admitance, but by definition Great Britain is not a democratic nation. They are a Constitutional Monarchy, with their Queen Victoria retaining power within thier politics. The German Prussian Constitutionalism is no different, with the Kaiser William I holding the same powers as Queen Victoria. Surely allowing Great Britian within this Commonwealth of democratic nations must mean the German Empire should be allowed admitance as well.
And this is but my humble opinion, but the "Republic" of France should not be allowed admitance within the Commonwealth until they show stability within their nation, and are not simply the bloodthirsty barbarians they were during the rise of Napolean.

Mr Garret, how will you go about modernizing the largest and most powerful army on Earth? We are the most advanced, with no other nation coming close to rivaling our power on land.

-Senator Roderick Khur, Independent

((I think BBB said way earlier that we already have all the army techs, unless he was saying we have all the available techs at that point.))

I'd like to thank the fellow members of the American Conservative Party for voting me an opportunity to run for President. I would like to ask Congressman Jarvis to be my running mate, as he has been one of my staunchest supporters.

Economic: Laissez-Faire. Increasing the cost of doing business by adding regulations or allowing the government to pick winners and losers will only exacerbate our cur
((I can't really think of a picture that works -- in terms of policies, I consider Garrett to be quite similar to Calvin Coolidge, so you can choose him if you like.))

((What year is this, 1892? I think I'm three years too young to join the ticket; if not, then I'll gladly join in! :D And I was thinking of Calvin Coolidge for my image, too!))

My Hayden, what are your views on allowing the German Empire into the Commonwealth? You say only democratic nations may be allowed admitance, but by definition Great Britain is not a democratic nation. They are a Constitutional Monarchy, with their Queen Victoria retaining power within thier politics. The German Prussian Constitutionalism is no different, with the Kaiser William I holding the same powers as Queen Victoria. Surely allowing Great Britian within this Commonwealth of democratic nations must mean the German Empire should be allowed admitance as well.
And this is but my humble opinion, but the "Republic" of France should not be allowed admitance within the Commonwealth until they show stability within their nation, and are not simply the bloodthirsty barbarians they were during the rise of Napolean.

Mr Garret, how will you go about modernizing the largest and most powerful army on Earth? We are the most advanced, with no other nation coming close to rivaling our power on land.

((I think BBB said way earlier that we already have all the army techs, unless he was saying we have all the available techs at that point.))

((I meant if BBB has infantry instead of guards in-game, that's what I'd support. BBB's already told me that techs are off the table for Presidents.))

((What year is this, 1892? I think I'm three years too young to join the ticket; if not, then I'll gladly join in! :D And I was thinking of Calvin Coolidge for my image, too!))

((Is there an age stipulation for VP too? Hmmm... I may have to think of someone else))

Senator Khur, I am of the opinion that any country which shows itself sufficiently willing to abide by the democratic decisions of its populace is to be admitted to the Commonwealth. The future of international cooperation and the possibility of peace in our time can not abide minor semantics. "Prussian Constitutionalism" or "Constitutional Monarchy", what ever they shall choose to call it, if it means the people pick their leaders, then they have a place in the community of nations.

((Avindian, the VP has to be eligible to be President.))

I'd like to thank the Federal Party for their support. I would like to ask Brigadier General Gaffney to be my running mate.

I will have a pragmatic problem solving approach in my Administration. Our policies will not be determined by ideology but by what works for the American people.
Trade: Free Trade. The tariff should not be increased on our already strained economy.

Economic: Interventionism. We should subsidize our industries that are struggling in this crisis. This will keep the workers employed and create domestic demand for products in our economy from both consumers and industry. When our economy stabilizes and the crisis has passed, subsidies will be reduced

Military Policy: Pro-Military. I will not cut the military. I will continue to make sure our navy has the most modern ships.

Citizenship: Full Citizenship.

Religious: Pluralism

Foreign Policy: We will aggressively defend our sphere of influence from UPCA and Chilean interference

Joseph Walker

Senator Khur, I am of the opinion that any country which shows itself sufficiently willing to abide by the democratic decisions of its populace is to be admitted to the Commonwealth. The future of international cooperation and the possibility of peace in our time can not abide minor semantics. "Prussian Constitutionalism" or "Constitutional Monarchy", what ever they shall choose to call it, if it means the people pick their leaders, then they have a place in the community of nations.

((Avindian, the VP has to be eligible to be President.))

((Thanks for the clarification.))

There is one man who have vision enough to turn this dire economic situation around and take us into a Golden Era of equality, and that man is Joe Hayden. A vote for the Democrats is a vote for solutions and a fair society. It's a vote against the economic criminals who created this crisis. It's a vote for the Working Man. Vote Hayden!

(( Garrett/Orleans 1892! WOO7! Too bad I disagree with Orlean's foreign policy, or this would be my dream ticket...

not much activity today...))

I would like to ask Congressman Jarvis to be my running mate, as he has been one of my staunchest supporters.

((The last inkling of respect I had for your character is gone. Sos. :) ))

((The last inkling of respect I had for your character is gone. Sos. :) ))

((Lovely... thank you for the vote of confidence and support there, Welshdude... I love you, too :D.))

((I feel so loved... but why is no-one else here! :angry:))

The Presidential Election of 1893

When the National Conventions of 1892 convened, the recession kicked into full gear. A wave of bankruptcies swept through the country in December, and continued into January. Small and mid-level companies went first. Before the year was out, Western Railroad would declare its bankruptcy and sale to James Vanderbilt’s American Railroad Company. So the candidates of 1893 were forced to campaign in an environment of economic despair and panic.
The ACP elected to run the vice-president instead of the president. Davis supported the move, as he was all too aware of what the crash had done to his reputation among the voting public. Andrew Garrett was chosen on the first ballot, although Davis ran for show. The ACP continued to believe the market would be able to fix itself.
The Democrats saw the recession as a gift from god. They’re candidate in the previous election had warned of a “bust about to happen”, and had lost by only a small margin. In 1892, Joe Hayden won the nomination easily, and expected to run head-first to a landslide victory based on subsidies and heavy government spending. The Democratic Party essentially threw a victory celebration after Hayden’s nomination.

demconvention1892.jpg

1. The Democratic Convention of 1892.​

The Federal Party, still smarting from their string of setbacks in the last four years, convened with an overwhelming sense of impending defeat. They became the only one of the three parties to take more than one ballot to get to a nomination. In a tight race between Joseph Walker and James Karoli, the smaller amount of government intervention and immigration policy won out. Walker, vice-president of the first Federal president now had a chance at the presidency itself.

The Candidates/Tickets of 1892

Election Manifesto of the Federal Party
walkerp.jpg

Presidential Candidate: Joseph Walker
Vice-Presidential Candidate: Andrew Gafferty​

I will have a pragmatic problem solving approach in my Administration. Our policies will not be determined by ideology but by what works for the American people.

Trade: The tariff should not be increased on our already strained economy. Freedom of trade is one of the key to a healthy economy.

Economic: We should subsidize our industries that are struggling in this crisis. This will keep the workers employed and create domestic demand for products in our economy from both consumers and industry. When our economy stabilizes and the crisis has passed, subsidies will be reduced

Military Policy: I will not cut the military. I will continue to make sure our navy has the most modern ships.

Citizenship: Equal opportunity for all.

Religious: We may be a Christian nation, but religious freedom must not be curtailed.

Foreign Policy: We will aggressively defend our sphere of influence from UPCA and Chilean interference

Election Manifesto of the American Conservative Party
garrettn.jpg

Presidential Candidate: Andrew Garrett
Vice-Presidential Candidate: Richard Orleans

Trade: We should not cut off ties to the rest of the world while we are repairing our economy. I would be willing to support a very modest tariff -- 5% -- to help us through these troubling times.

Economic: Increasing the cost of doing business by adding regulations or allowing the government to pick winners and losers will only exacerbate our current crisis. I support a 5% tax cut across the board, with an additional 5% to the poorest citizens if we can do so with a balanced budget.

Military Policy: I will only cut the military if absolutely necessary for a balanced budget; I will not expand the military, but would consider modernizing it, particularly if it could save us some money.

Citizenship: Every American is entitled to a voice in the democratic process.

Religious: Religion has no place in politics.

Foreign Policy: No American soldier will fire the first shot under my administration. We will defend our home, but we will not expand aggressively. Diplomacy will always be our first resort.

The best way to get out of this financial crisis is to investigate the causes, and then sensibly promote a plan of legislation to reduce the chances of this catastrophe from occurring again. We can never be entirely rid of boom and bust cycles in capitalism, but we can make the busts manageable. I would appoint a tripartisan committee, from all financial backgrounds, to address this.

Let us not make these trying times worse by panicking, or instituting hysterical measures that will only lead to further ruin.

One final comment: I do not support President Davis's plan of regionalism. I do not see the ACP as a party for those who were dissatisfied with the outcome of the Civil War. I welcome participation from any region of the country. The ACP is a party for order, for reason, for making sure that America is great and remains great for now and all time. Remember, change is not reform. I am all for fixing our country's ills, but only after careful study and honest debate.

Thank you, and good night.

Election Manifesto of the Democratic Party
haydenr.jpg

Presidential Candidate: Joe Hayden
Vice-Presidential Candidate: George Walsh​

A Square Deal

- Though the reforms passed under the Vallejo administration are commendable, what is necessary is to create a national board through which all industrial relations may be conducted, at which both employers and workers will be represented and where standards can be set for labor across the country.

- We must encourage the development of democratic governance throughout the world via the Commonwealth and propose that only sufficiently democratic countries may be accepted into the Commonwealth in the future.

- We must develop a good neighbor policy in the Western Hemisphere in order to best utilize our influence. This entails encouraging democracy, but also refraining from meddling in the democratic processes of countries.

- We must develop a nuanced trade policy which places tariffs only in critical areas so that we ensure that the American economy is self sufficient and the working-class have jobs available to them.

- As my warnings from last election went unheeded and we are now in a recession, I propose a bank holiday to prevent further runs on banks, the establishment of Federal Insurance for deposits in banks so long as the banks maintain certain reserve levels, the establishment of a commission to oversee Wall Street and prevent unfounded speculation from destroying our economy once again, and a series of public works projects to bring trains, roads, and other modern amenities to the furthest reaches of the American hinterland.

- We must create a legal framework within which the workers' right to withhold labor is guaranteed and which prevents the violent suppression of peaceful labor movements.

- We must ensure that all those seeking to partake of the American life shall have an equal opportunity, regardless of home country, religion, or any other artificial divisions.

- We must allow our currency to be backed by silver, in order to allow easy money to the small farmers of the prairie.

- Each and every veteran of the United States Armed Forces deserves a Square Deal as well. All veterans shall receive healthcare on behalf of the government for life and shall be entitled to a free education at any university or technical school to which they have been accepted.

-------------------------------

Exceptional Situation(s):

None by my count. Voting time.