• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Steam is excellent imo. You don't need to check for patches and there is an interface screen you can click and see how long you've been playing the game any DLCs the game has to offer etc... I wish I had all my games on Steam. But at least I'm glad CKII and everything related to it will be through Steam.

Steam is excellent imo. You don't need to check for patches and there is an interface screen you can click and see how long you've been playing the game any DLCs the game has to offer etc... I wish I had all my games on Steam. But at least I'm glad CKII and everything related to it will be through Steam.

Well ok that is a benefit. Will be nice if Steam keeps my game patched rather than me having to sort it out from the forum here.

Secondly, after thinking about it, it works out that Steam is backing up my Gamefly purchase. Of the two, Gamefly is more likely to go belly up or bought out or go down.

Thirdly, if 80% of PI's sales come from Steam then that's that we just have to adjust.

I also wish all my games were on Steam, because my whole point is I want only one online game store library. Originally I went with D2D because the interface was straightforward and simple and I didn't have to use their spam client. So now they're bought out and all we have are the spam client companies.

Ideally for the concept of cloud computing, *storage* should not be tied to *retailer*. Philosophically this bugs me, for one thing the cloud concept is like a storage unit company that prevents you from ever storing your junk in your own home or with another company you're just locked in with them forever, "the cloud" is just a RENTAL and if the company goes belly up (or randomly seized by the government like Megaupload) then poof you just lost everything.

This is the major problem with "the cloud" -- it transforms ownership to rental, which would be fine IF the $40 game license you buy from Paradox could be cross-platform. If my authentication / cloud provider goes bellyup, I really shouldn't have to buy another "license" from Paradox, you know?

Ok I'm going to stop complaining. I've vented, going to forget it now. I was forced into Steam and now I'm stuck with them. But this herding everyone into Steam won't be good, it's a fact about monopolies that prices will go up, all the consumer benefits of a monopoly are on the front end then once they own the market, service, quality and prices go the other direction.

Ok gotta drop this topic now. Must stop posting about Steam so I can forget about Steam. :rofl:

But this herding everyone into Steam won't be good, it's a fact about monopolies that prices will go up, all the consumer benefits of a monopoly are on the front end then once they own the market, service, quality and prices go the other direction.

Prices on Steam are set by publishers - not by Valve(except of their own games).

I also wish all my games were on Steam, because my whole point is I want only one online game store library. Originally I went with D2D because the interface was straightforward and simple and I didn't have to use their spam client. So now they're bought out and all we have are the spam client companies.

wait until the next holiday steam sale.

Nearly the entire paradox catlogue is 75$ iirc

I don't think they allow for regional-uniform pricing. It seems they just replace to currency sign between euro and dollar.

Thats incorrect - some games (for example) cost 60$ in USA while 50€ in EU and other games cost 60$ in USA and 60€ in EU.

Most games very price based on region - so games cost less in eastern europe and much less in russia and china.

Fact that publishers set final price was confirmed by several developers/publishers.

It's off topic, but I just wonder what Steam's competitors think about this. Sounds like something the Federal Trade Commission should look into. It's monopolistic, unfair trade practice. If Steam is going to be retailer AND verifier -- then their retailer-only competitors cannot compete, eventually new consumers will just save a step and buy from the store that does the verifying.
Maybe if Steam required this, but it is completely the publisher's choice as to weather or not to make Steam a requirement. It's not a trade practice, it's an option they provide to the developers. While it certainly might be getting Steam more customers, Steam also sells plenty of games that are avvailable elsewhere and don't need verification on Steam.

Since the OP has said they are finished and the existing Anti Steam thread was the biggest thread this sub forum has had, I do not think we need to rehash all the same issues.
*Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.