• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Once more Tuesday is upon us and it is time to unleash some more facts about Rajas of India upon your unsuspecting minds. This time, I thought I'd go through some of the major features we're adding in the free part of the expansion, i.e. patch 2.1.

ck2_RoI_dd_05_Afghanistan.png

First up, I think you might be interested in the parts of the new map that are actually outside India; the regions of Afghanistan, Transoxiana and Siberia. Part of my reason for wanting to extend the map to the east was to get these areas into the game. If you consider the old edge of the map, you might have noticed that many counties are truncated, or in the wrong place. Places like Balkh and Samarkand were deemed important enough to be on the old map even though they are in reality located off the eastern edge. This is perhaps most obvious around the Urals, where we even have an "Omsk" province. With the new map, these provinces could finally be put in the right place. Of course, we still needed to add a lot of new counties as well, which meant we also needed some more cultures. Thus, we now have this situation:
  • The Cumans are intrinsically more powerful
  • There is a Kirghiz state to their east, with its own culture
  • There is Karluk (new culture) state south of Lake Balkhash
  • There is a Khanty (new culture) realm north of the Cumans
  • The whole region of Afghanistan, with new Afghan and Baluch cultures
  • More counties in Khorasan / Greater Persia
Tibet, the Tarim basin and the Altai mountains are visible on the map, but we decided not to add any provinces to those regions.

ck2_RoI_dd_05_Oxus_River.png

There are changes to the old parts of the map as well. We had to trim the western edge slightly to get the map dimensions right, and there are many changes to province borders and positions in the Middle East, the steppes and the far North East. We have even added some new counties, like Lori in Armenia. The most dramatic change is, however, in East Africa. We decided to take this opportunity to make East Africa more interesting, so we added Nubian culture and completely revised all the provinces south of Egypt and added about a dozen more. This allowed us to add the fascinating Jewish state of Semien (a.k.a. Beta Israel) to Abyssinia.

ck2_RoI_dd_05_East Africa.png

Right, that's enough about the map I think, I'll just let the screenies speak for themselves. A related thing we've done is to allow ports and ship movement in completely separate oceans; a feature that has been much requested. The AI now understands how to handle this, which was always the biggest hurdle. So you can now have a Buddhist merchant republic in the Maldives and build trade posts all the way to the Suez, etc.

As usual, we've also spent a lot of effort improving the base game. I'll cover a couple of the changes today, and the rest next Tuesday. Now, one of the most drastic improvements we have made is to faction revolts. No more will the revolters be mere allies in a war against their liege; they will now be temporary vassals of the faction leader in a proper civil war. In other words, you will be fighting these wars against a more unified and powerful enemy (or fight as them, of course.) Naturally, these rebel lieges will be very limited in their diplomacy and plotting until the war is over.

ck2_RoI_dd_05_East_Frankian_Revolt.png

The AI has received another round of improvements, most notably in how it moves, raises and dismisses armies, but also when and why it revokes titles off vassals (it tended to create a lot of unnecessary internal strife while still failing to maintain reasonable internal de jure borders.)

One little thing that's always annoyed me is that you can't easily go to a dead character's killer, so we now show a red skull on characters who have a known killer. You can simply click the skull to go to the killer.

Lastly for today, we decided to add a new tab to the character view, called "Relations". The main reason was to add Rivals and Friends (a very underused concept in the game), but it also allows us to show Lovers, etc.

ck2_RoI_dd_05_Relations_Tab.png

That's all for today! If you can't wait for the upcoming dev diaries, tune in to my livestream at 20:00 CET. :)

ck2_RoI_dd_05_Truncated_West.png

PS. Crusader Kings II; Rajas of India livestream info:
The Crusader Kings 2 team has been working hard the past months on our next expansion, Rajas of India.
As before with The Old Gods and Sons of Abraham we'll be doing a showcase to show you the grandiose sub-continent of India.

When?
Today, Tuesday, at 20:00CET

Where?
On our official channel on Twitch;
http://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

I can't make that time :<
No worries, we'll be posting the presentation as well as the highlights onto our YouTube channel;
https://www.youtube.com/user/ParadoxExtra

Last edited by a moderator:
Woo, first. (actual content to follow)

A dozen provinces in East Africa, many more than I was expecting. Yay. Though it does look *really* crowded down there (particularly given that the surrounding areas still have the same province sizes). Could we get a look at what changes you made to Egypt? Could we get a look at the De Jures now? Has anything been added in that regard? (say, removing Somalia from De Jure k_abyssinia) Oh, and could we get another look at the new set up in Armenia? The screenie from DD1 was just the terrain view, and thats terrible for observing the new borders.

Also, fantastic that you were able to teach the AI to handle different oceans; was worried about using the Suez as a crutch. Will there be any workable way for Europeans to get to India by sea?

Are those trait icons finalized? They look a little rough.

Last edited:
Doomdark, what about EU4 save converter compatibility? Will the old saves still be converted and work in EU4 after RoI release?

And can we PLEASE get a sticky thread for EU4 converter? There are dozens of tiny threads about it scattered around on the forum.

Some very nice looking progress. I like the lotus petals around the Empire(?) COA.

If the faction is victorious in their war, will they break away as one state or will they split up into their component parts?

How will the Seljuks and Mongols be handled in terms of invasion?

I hope one day that we can have the Tarim basin included in game. Judging by how this looks so far I would be tempted by an expansion further east into the steppes or China.

I am very much looking forward to the twitch stream tonight Doomdark, see you there!

Can we PLEASE get a sticky thread for EU4 converter? There are dozens of tiny threads about it scattered around on the forum.

Also, this please if it is at all possible!

I like the trim in the west vs the expansion in the east. I would trade a lot of sea for a lot of land every time.

I like how Africa is straightened out, and Transoxania is lush!

Like the relations thing too, should add loads of depth in the game!

But no word on the decadence overhaul, awww :(

Some questions:

1) Are the Khitan going to be included in the patch? They are horrendously popular in the forum, and, as we all know, without honour :)
2) Any new merchant republics in India or the Indian Ocean?
3) With the factions, will Count Backstabbo von Breisgau, leading a revolt against the HRE, now be able to sneakily marry a Byzantine princess while revolting as he for the duration of his revolt would be of the imperial rank and not have the modifier "I desire a better match"?

I hope one day that we can have the Tarim basin included in game. Judging by how this looks so far I would be tempted by an expansion further east into the steppes or China.

Judging by the comments about map proportions, it would seem that any effort to do that would require them to extend the map south.

Which is not a bad thing.

Nice dev diary! Although you're teasing us with decadence!

One question - if a faction leader dies in a war, who will inherit leading the rebellion? Will it be his heir, or will it be the next most powerful faction member? Because if it was the original leaders heir it might look a bit weird having a 2 year old take over...

EDIT: One other question - does this relations tab mean that the friends and rivals mechanisms are getting fleshed out at all?

Judging by the comments about map proportions, it would seem that any effort to do that would require them to extend the map south.

Which is not a bad thing.

I think so too. Going down all the way to Zanj is entirely feasible under the circumstances. In terms of map expansions, the GOT team did a teriffic job with their minimap solution in the last update or so.

If the faction is victorious in their war, will they break away as one state or will they split up into their component parts?

Independence factions will split up, so the end result will be as before.

How will the Seljuks and Mongols be handled in terms of invasion?

Seljuk and Timur are more involved now. They will actually exist as characters for ten years before they embark on their conquests. The Mongols are as before, but they arrive at the new edge.

Doomdark, what about EU4 save converter compatibility? Will the old saves still be converted and work in EU4 after RoI release?

And can we PLEASE get a sticky thread for EU4 converter? There are dozens of tiny threads about it scattered around on the forum.

You will not be able to load pre 2.1 saves in v2.1 (and thus will not be able to convert them to EU4.) However, you can load them in the 2.0 branch in Steam and convert them from there.