• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 15:1485-1487

Bohemian Burgundy gets overrun by French troops, sadly France signs a white peace 1 year later because apaprently it cant reach bohemian mainland

eu310.jpg

Sultan decides to make Oman literally his sultanate by ordering the army to capture the last tribesmen and taking their money and holdings and forcing them to live in villages or towns, by this action Oman was completely under Sultan's hands and will remain so under his successors

eu311a.jpg

Khorasani people revolt and form their own country, independent of Persian rule, Persia decides to invade but it turns out to be highly unsuccessful, Persia calls Oman into the war because that was her last chance to live and Oman accepts to join but does nothing to help Persia, Sultan was actually hoping that Persia gets defeated so he can cancel his alliance with them by declaring war on a weaker neighbour and asking them to join, the only flaw was that theres no one weaker in land military terms than Oman in arabia other than Najd, who is guaranteed by half the muslims world

eu312.jpg

A number of monetary reforms were presented to the sultan to enact them because the ministers thought this would prevent future inflation, Sultan didnt accept because these plans would make the people rebel against his already harsh rule

eu314g.jpg

Oman ended the pointless war with Khorasan in a white peace, Sultan made a mistake here by not presenting to cancel his alliance with Persia

eu315.jpg

Bohemian Burgundy gets overrun by French troops, sadly France signs a white peace 1 year later because apaprently it cant reach bohemian mainland

Argh... I hate it when the AI is so stubborn or gives up so early, whatever may be the case here.

Sultan decides to make Oman literally his sultanate by ordering the army to capture the last tribesmen and taking their money and holdings and forcing them to live in villages or towns, by this action Oman was completely under Sultan's hands and will remain so under his successors

That's good; and you got the stability point recovered after only a year, also good.

Chapter 16:1488-1495

Persia gets attacked by Baluchistan and Persian diplomats cry before the sultan to join the war on their side, the sultan agrees but promises nothing

eu31.jpg

Baluchistan thought that defeating the Omani navy would give her large prestige and power, the Baluchistani navy used a couple of new tactics each time they attacked the Omani navy hoping to break its morale but the Baluchis forgot that Oman has a naval experience and they do not, Baluchistan also made a quick and pitiful alliance with Najd in hope to defeat Oman

eu32.jpg

eu33g.jpg

eu34l.jpg

eu35i.jpg

Soon after these victories for Oman, Persia used it again to make a white peace with Baluchistan, however this didnt help them much and Persia was collapsing

eu36.jpg

Rajputana envied Kutch and ordered to kick out all Omani merchants in order to get a couple of ducates

eu37d.jpg

Sultan rolls his eyes when he sees the persian diplomat and this time he accepts before the diplomat explodes in crying and embarasses the sultan

eu38d.jpg

Yemen joined the war, now Oman had to suffer for Persia again, the Omani army is sent south to destroy anything the Yemenis can get from Dhofar

eu39f.jpg

eu310.jpg

The Yemeni army marched into Dhofar and did not suffer attrition, AI hax ?

Sultan was deeply annoyed, his alliance with Persia was only bringing him troubles! isntead of protecting him, it was him who was protecting Persia, which obviously meant this alliance was a total failure and had to be canceled, Sultan decided to exchange all his relations with Persia for peace with the Jalayrids who gladly accepted the peace, Oman was now free from Persian failures and could finally focus on its trade

5 years later, Sultan was noted that Ethiopia had became independent of Mameluke rule and was a muslim kingdom, he imemdiately established a royal marriage and an alliance with them, daring the much larger mamelukes who were superior to Oman in all terms

eu311.jpg

Ethiopia was a more reasonable ally than Persia was and didnt ask Oman to join her in its war against Mamelukes, eventhough that war was lost, the Ethiopian people were still rebellious and it was only a matetr of time until they rejoin their kingdom again, in the meantime, an old friend of Oman, Adal, declared war on Ethiopia knowing that Oman will not join in such a conflict because it will be sandwiched by Najd, Yemen and Adal .... Oman was now in a difficult situation, a great war, or a prestige loss ?

eu312.jpg

Omanis can be called smelly, dirty, stupid, uncreative, jealous, weak, desert dwellers and anything BUT cowards (and bad traders)

Sultan took the bet and declared war on Adal, Yemen and Najd
For the first time Oman was able to unleash its Swahili tiger on its enemies, but Swahili can not reach Yemen nor Najd, Oman was alone against its 2 arch enemies and Yemen was clearly superior in land to Oman, this meant either a quick defeat or a long, painful war

eu313.jpg

Oh man, such a difficult position!
There's another thread elsewhere discussing problems with attrition, it seems to be a DW bug, that the AI isn't getting attrition properly.
Best luck to you against the Arabs, though I'd recommend that if Adal is warleader you might be able to beat on them, due to their lack of forts and weak african troops. You might be able to pull off a decent victory before Oman is occupied.

If Swahili binds Adal down there; if you use your navy to your advantage (can you blockade) and if you take out Najd out of war (even concede defeat), you might actually stand up to Yemen and emerge victorious in the end. Fingers crossed!

Oh man, such a difficult position!
There's another thread elsewhere discussing problems with attrition, it seems to be a DW bug, that the AI isn't getting attrition properly.
Best luck to you against the Arabs, though I'd recommend that if Adal is warleader you might be able to beat on them, due to their lack of forts and weak african troops. You might be able to pull off a decent victory before Oman is occupied.

Its annoying that the AI doesnt suffer attrition, makes things harder for weak nations

If Swahili binds Adal down there; if you use your navy to your advantage (can you blockade) and if you take out Najd out of war (even concede defeat), you might actually stand up to Yemen and emerge victorious in the end. Fingers crossed!

Thanks for your support

Chapter 17: 1496-1497

In order to collect money for the war, Sultan had given more free trading rights to Omani merchants in order to draw in more merchants

eu314.png

Najd invaded Beni Yas, meanwhile Yemen split its army into many regiements and laid seige to provinces south of Oman

The main Omani army was sent to deal with Najd first since their army was smaller and more prone to collapsing than the Yemeni one

eu315v.jpg

All of Oman was shocked at the news of the defeat, if the Omani army couldnt even get a draw with the Najdi army, how will it win ? is there enough manpower for the army ? is Oman doomed ? all these questions were frequently heard in Muscat and didnt stop even when the sultan passes by

Oman's ally, Ethiopia, was doomed to lose the war, the freshly independent Ethiopia was an easy prey for Adal and Swahili refused to do more than occupy Haud in fears of attack, Oman's arranged victory against Najd failed, the Omanis were becoming more and more worried about the future of their nation

eu316.jpg

This war now seemed like an all or nothing for Sultan, he has the choice to sacrifice his wealth to give Oman a shot, or to flee with his money and erchant wealth to Swahili and abandon Oman to its fate

Sultan chose to leave, there was no hope to stay in Oman, he told his advisor to bring the ship and inform the royal family that they are going to Zanzibar
While Sultan was gathering his things, he stared at his sword for a ocuple of seconds and remembered the victories he and his ancestors have won and how much they contributed to keep Oman alive, but then he turned his head away quickly to not change his mind, but now his eyes caught a paper with merchants rights written on it, he now paused and felt bad about his decision, he cant let Yemen and Najd split Oman between them like a pie! when his advisor came to tell him that its time to leave, he said: "Never ! victory or death, no other option!"

The sultan used the navy to bring mercenaries, eventhough Oman's economy was just starting to stabilise and such a move would hurt the treasury badly, Sultan didnt care, as long as Oman stays independent he can bring that wealth back

eu317.jpg

After the main army of Oman took its revenge from Najd, Sultan was extremly happy, and ordered his mercenaries to cut the Yemeni suplly routes

eu318g.jpg

The main Omani army then advanced into Qatar and defeated the last remanants of the Najdi army, then the army went back to attack the Yemenis in Oman

eu319.jpg

Sultan kept paying for more mercenaries to replace the dead ones until he has run out of money, he didnt mind taking loans to support his army in the long and painful seige of Nizwa, he knew that he can regain this money after the war

eu320n.jpg

The recapture of Nizwa was a symbolic event, Omanis now felt that they have a chance to beat their enemies which led to a large number of conscripts joining the army or attacking the enemy supply routes

eu321.jpg

2 more overwhelming victories over the Najdi mercenaries led to the destruction of the Najdi economy and army, and left the road clear for capturing Qatar

eu322.jpg

In order to break Yemen's land prestige, the whole Omani army attacked them at Suhar, the result was a victory for Oman, and eventhough it was an average victory, it was a victory over an enemy that Oman has never won a land victory against in the past 100 years eventhough it was supported by Najd, the Omani people were overjoyed and Oman recieved a much better standing amongst muslim countries

eu323.jpg

In such dire straits mercenaries are a must. It's better to rule bankrupt Oman than have nothing to rule! I'd try to peace out Najd now; is Quatar worth the hassle? You may come back fot it later anyway. And I'd focus on Yemen, taking a province or two from them would weaken them so that it future wars it would be them who'd have to resort to going in the red to have a chance to pull off. And their provs are considerably juicier.

Btw, you've played 100 years without massive coquest. So why don't you like MM? ;)

In such dire straits mercenaries are a must. It's better to rule bankrupt Oman than have nothing to rule! I'd try to peace out Najd now; is Quatar worth the hassle? You may come back fot it later anyway. And I'd focus on Yemen, taking a province or two from them would weaken them so that it future wars it would be them who'd have to resort to going in the red to have a chance to pull off. And their provs are considerably juicier.

Btw, you've played 100 years without massive coquest. So why don't you like MM? ;)

I found it too complicated and some events were really annoying, and Im horrible at forcing myself to do something, like reading the manual

Subscribed .. :D gain some infamy .. you can lead by terror to :D

I can only gain Qatar and Bahrain and I dont want to take land form Yemen because it will make my borders ugly, and their land is worthless, Im looking for indian territory but Vijawhatever wont give me a chance

Last edited:
Chapter 18: 1497-1499

The yemeni surrender at the battle of Qawasim seemed to be the real turning point for the Omanis, now everyone regained hope to win this war, the sultan now felt comfortable to attack Qatar while Yemen is busy rebuilding its army

eu324.jpg

Luckily for Oman, the Qataris didnt like the Najdi rule and the fort fell quickly without having to storm it and lose the already extremly expensive mercenary, by capturing Qatar Oman can now focus on Yemen

eu325.jpg

Najd was crumbling from inside and had no resources to fight Oman

eu326.jpg

The nobles and clerics were now glad that Qatari shi'ites were saved from sunni Najd, and provided their support for Oman

eu327x.jpg

Omani forces were also sent to aid the clueless Swahilis who preferred looting Adal regions over saving their country

eu328.jpg

In the south, the last remanants of the Yemeni army were destroyed, both sides were now looking for peace, Oman's treasury has been exhausted and Yemen's army was destroyed

eu329.jpg

Adal was also exhausted form the conflict, Sultan didnt want his other kingdom, Swahili, to get much prestige from this war because the main point of joining this conflict was to gain prestige and power for Oman so it would be able to annex Swahili isntead of continuing the personal union, unfortunately for Oman Swahili was now seen as the most powerful african country in eastern africa, but Oman was also seen as the new regional power instead of Yemen

eu330p.jpg

Festivities were held all over the country, the people celebrated as they mention and glorify Oman's victory and the reforms implemented by the latest sultans, nomads began to immigrate from the nearby deserts to join the fistivities, causing a population and tax increase in Nizwa

eu331.jpg

Due to the growth of Oman, Sultan felt that a government reform was a necessity at this time, what view shall he embrace for Oman ?

eu332.jpg

Personally Im confused on what to choose now, shall I choose inflation reduction ? better compete chance ? bigger army ? bigger navy ? higher heritic tolerance ?

Believe me, you'll need it.

Looks like you're doing fairly well.

Personally, right now I'd go for Military Drill. Inflation is simply not as important right now as grabbing land, and grabbing land requires troops with high Morale.

I would say inf reduction would be very nice

Believe me, you'll need it.

Looks like you're doing fairly well.

Personally, right now I'd go for Military Drill. Inflation is simply not as important right now as grabbing land, and grabbing land requires troops with high Morale.

So 2 votes for inflation reduction and 1 for military drill with a reason

Clearly, I should take Shrewd commerce practice ! (Im close to level 10 trading so Im getting monopolies soon, at level 15)

Last edited:
I can't help with NI dilemma; haven't played vanilla for some time and I don't have DW.
It surprises me you preferred Najd provs to Yemeni ones; I thought Najd ones are crap 1 or 2 tax, fish; whereas Yemeni ones have slightly better tax and produce exotic stuffs; well, apparently it's different in vanilla.

As for MM complexity and manual reading (what an argument! :)); I remember your previous Oman attempt and like with this one you took things slow. MM would give you a lot to do in-between, like dealing with nomads, spreading Ibadi religion from Nizwa, heading for modernisation, etc. Plus there's one gamey exploit you might use: in MM Portugal gets Goa and, at least early on, is incapable of protecting it... yes this means an easy grab (through long-waiting) of a CoT-prov, the income from this sole prov would pbly exceed the one you'd get from the rest of your empire.

I must find a pic of my Omani game some day to share and show you what I mean. So why don't you give it a try, as long as it's free :) (Btw, in my game the Portuguese came back after some time with their best buddies: the English, and they sent me back to my peninsula ;))