• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
While I do bring people from other courts do press claims you risk loosing land thorough their inheritance. Generating your own courtiers is safer and they are also better administraters becauase they are from your same dynasty, culture and religion. Also, if they are not succesful in having heirs you will inherate it back.

As vassals I'd agree 100% with your concerns, it needs to be watched carefully, but I didn't think culture etc made any difference to councillors.

One of my favourite all-time moves, was as an HRE Duke I persuaded the heir to England to come to the court, assassinated his wife and matrilineally married him to some random kinswoman. A few years later a permanent dynastic alliance with England :)

I’ve never thought of using the debutante thing, but I may start using it when I run out of courtiers. They are useful for assassination plots, I use courtiers to infiltrate the target’s court by marring them with his/her courtiers.

How come? Don't you just get a random young female courtier? I've got about 4 of those anyway, and hundreds more on the "find a spouse" screen?
It depends on who you start with. Not everybody gets 4 free young female courtiers and most of those in the "find a spouse" screen won't join your court (besides it takes time which is usually in a short supply). Debutantes allow you to block undesirable alliances, but you need to act quickly, before AI arranges bad marriages. The second use is for agents, but in this case you usually have time, so it's likely you will have some available in your court.

once again, paradox, PLEASE fix this next patch.
I just had to reload a save because i gave my heir a barony (he's heir to a duchy) he used it get a random lowborn (who's tengri at that, while we're orthodox) seriously, using it to get a random lowborn to marry just doens't make sense. there's a lot of courtiers in the marriage screen, even if you're a baron you could find someone better to marry than a random wrong-religion lowborn.

I know I could have done the situation better, but that doesn't change the fact that nobles marrying random low stat wrong religion lowborns isn't very sensible; not when they can find someone better, and they mosdt certainly can if they're willing to accept random courtiers; they should be able to find someone on the list who'd agree.

ehh ...what?

Helps to have your titles handed out to people who are already married. Can be a disaster if they marry into another dynasty that will either A) inherit a part of your realm or B) inherit you some nonsensical province in some far-away land.

But most times you have a healthy court at game start and you can inter-marry them to the point you won't ever need to invite new courtiers. Just have to go back every 10-20 years and make sure the new blood is refreshed.

I wish my grandsons would marry lowborn harlots - I currently have four grandchildren married to each other (yuk :mad: ).

On the other hand if the AI knew how to choose a soulmate there would be a lot fewer Superbrides and girls with huge... tracts of land available for your dynasty. ;)

Yeah, I wish my vassals would use this feature more. My old ruler died right as a bunch of dynasty members came of age, so no one listened to the new king's marriage suggestions. So basically, a whole generation of my dynasty inbred themselves. Including my stupid heir who I dumped extra titles on