• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Etranger notes Chile in his speech; it wasn't mentioned in the update, so what peace deals were made there, BBB?))

Peru and Bolivia reclaimed territories that Chile had wrested from them during the previous century. The Chilean army was not downsized by peace treaty, but rather by economic reality, as the northern areas of the country were ruined by the war, and Chile could no longer afford to be a regional power, much less a world power, at least not at this junction.

With Chile unable, and the Americans unwilling, to enforce peace, the Brazilians, Bolivians, Argentinians, and partly the Ecuadorians, have begun to struggle for the position of South American hegemony. In all likelihood, Brazil will win this fight, unless its only real rival, Chile, can recover quickly, the other contestants team up, or the Americans intervene.

My opinion of foreign policy for this second term, should the people grant me one, would largely be the same; a focus on soft power, and diplomacy and trade, to encourage peace and a sense of community with the European states. We will not be biased towards or against any side, and will, in all earnestness, try to bridge the great political divides that sever any progress in Europe. Indeed, since we have tried our best to ensure that Germany and Austria have solid economic recovery, and have been firm advocates of a neutral, impartial foreign policy, we may well be the only Great Power capable of such a role. In Latin America, we may need to be more active, though I will not support any wars against nations that are not threatening us. Instead, we should encourage ambassadors from each nation to come to Washington, where they can negotiate on borders, and powers under our supervision and mediation, and from that attempt to bring more stability to our neighbours in the Southern continent.

However, as I have stated before, my main focus will be on the economy. Over these next four years, I will do everything in my power to promote economic growth and investment. With lower taxes and tariffs, not only are our industries strong, our people are wealthier than ever before; these next four years, I will continue to support and implement policies that promote even more prosperity. Of great importance is the issue of a Federal Reserve, and I will introduce legislation on such a matter in the first one hundred days of my second administration.

On social issues, I have already stated my support for Civil Rights, and I believe my Secretary of the Interior is planning on introducing legislation on the matter, which I intend to support. If re-elected, these next four years will see more progress on civil rights, without disenfranchising Southerners.

I would like to say that tomorrow ( OR LATER ) i will present a bill to Mr. Jarvis concerning the Southern states, and another one for the taxes.
Maurice Horshington, Secretary of State

Thank you Mr. Secretary; I'm always looking for good legislation! Hopefully, your Southern proposal will be complimentary to Mr. Little's.

Thank you Mr. Secretary; I'm always looking for good legislation! Hopefully, your Southern proposal will be complimentary to Mr. Little's.
((Oh, i forgot Mr.Little! the bills will take more than a week, because im going into a little village in Germany, so, i hope nothing bad happens while im gone))

((Hopefully it will go well. Auf wiedersehen!))

I would like to introduce my person.

Name: John Thomas Ferrell
Birth: 1875 (52 if i have my dates right.)
Religion: Catholic
Political Siding: Money
Bio: Son of a Irish labor from Boston, John began working in the factories at age 14. Through Hard work he rose to be factory manager. He now owns and manages numerous arms and munitions factories all over the country.
Job: Weapons Tycoon

Last edited:
Greetings, Mr. Ferrell; my family is also Catholic... and from Boston. It's wonderful to make your acquaintance!

I, J. T. Ferrell, as an industry tycoon myself can tell Mr. Sullivan that we are not taking America down but allowing her to soar. Truly America would not be the great nation it was today if not for the industry captains pushing them forward. While the issues you discuss have merit the people you blame them on are not at fault.

Indeed, a free market has been the greatest force for progress, and is most evident here in our great nation. Given the chance, my next four years in office will see the freer market, while the great many of my opponent wish to see more government control, more centralized planning, and the destruction of our great entrepreneurial spirit.

The Primary of 1920

Republican Candidate(s)

Joseph P. Jarvis (b. 1860), Incumbent President of the Republic ((Riccardo93)). Jarvis hopes to continue policies that have proved successful, whether on their own merits or the simple momentum of the post-war boom, and truly tackle Jim Crow.

William Carlsson (b. 1862), Senator for Alabama ((thekinguter)). Carlsson runs largely on a platform of moderation on the subject of Jim Crow, which has gained momentum as election season draws close.

Federal Candidate(s)

Kevin McCahill (b. 1870), Senator for New Hampshire ((theAhawk)). McCahill’s platform for 1921 is based on social and political reform, with increased government spending on public projects, and the final abolition of the Electoral College. He has also promised to respect the Southern States’ opposition to an overthrow of Jim Crow.

Alicia Vallejo (b. 1858), National-Level Politician ((Gloa)). Vallejo, veteran of the Hayden-Harrison years and vice-president to Terrance, hopes to reform the electoral system and continue strengthening the social policies of previous Federal administrations.

Independent Candidate(s)

Walter Mandrake (b. 1875), Secretary of Defense ((Marshall Daub)). Mandrake’s main concern is the chaos in Europe, which he hopes to bring an end to through democratization, as he believes that ideal was “left by the wayside” in the last four years.

Michael Sullivan (b. 1880), Governor for Illinois ((etranger01)). Sullivan, who came of age during the Democratic Party’s heyday in the 1890s, believes in regulation of industries, and intends to go after Jim Crow with all his might.

---------------------------

Exceptional Situation(s):

None. Vote please.

Republicans! We have secured peace and prosperity for our nation, let us not provoke further bloodshed! The Jim Crow laws might take us to a second civil war!

And if we don't act to end them, we condemn the negro for decades of inequality, not based on their talent or character, but solely on the basis of their ethnicity! I am no proponent of big government, and I have a long and established record of cutting government spending and size; under my second administration, these laws will be enforced fully, but will not trample on any man's rights; indeed we are doing nothing but expanding and preserving them.

Incentivising the black man, bringing him into our great system of government, will lead to more prosperity, and will create a more perfect union!

My first term may have been marred by the great war the Federal Party got us into, but under four years of peace, I will spend every day, every instant, working to ensure America is wealthy, and her people are free; you have that guarantee, on my sacred honour!

I trust President Jarvis to not only lead this country into 4 more years of economic prosperity, but to usher in an age where those hallow words spoken by our fore-fathers that all men are created equal, regardless of creed or race.
So I of course cast my vote for our president "Joseph P. Jarvis.

I vote for William Carlsson. The South is not yet ready for a harsh assault on Jim Crow, and any attacks from the highest office of the land on the laws will ultimately alienate them.

I vote for William Carlsson. The South is not yet ready for a harsh assault on Jim Crow, and any attacks from the highest office of the land on the laws will ultimately alienate them.
I find it sad that one would object to ending this aparteid not due to fear that it would cause racial strife, a valid fear, or out of genuine racism, repugnant but at least based in a mans morals, but out of political opportunism. This is a sad day for freedom when our statesman care more about election strategy then serving their constituents.

Joseph P. Jarvis

Thank you for your support, Mr. Little and Major Bradley; I hope I will be as successful as you predict...

And Senator Sherman, I am only taking away laws that are inherently unconstitutional and therefore opposed to the grand ideals that the American experiment began. However, if you want to argue on the political opportunity or benefit, the South is not only made of white men, and the negro can vote, and given my full support, and the support of state militias (or even the army, if it comes to it), they will have every opportunity to exercise those rights, and I personally would want to be viewed as opposing this great wave of progress, especially in a state where the negro outnumbers the white man by significant numbers...

Regardless, the Republican Party must be seen as the party for liberty and equality of opportunity, opposed to the Federal Parties placating niceties, expansionistic ideals, statist leanings, and sidelining on real issues, precisely on this issue. America must be free, and all her people must be given have a chance to have that freedom; what they do with it is their choice to make, but if I can help them without overextending my constitutional authority, I will do so. You cannot stop this current, this tide of change; to attempt to block it is to be swept away.