• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Btw, just incase you're thinking the screenies are too small, just right click on them and save them ;) You'll get the whole full screen .jpeg file.

Sapura

Patric,

It doesn't matter too much, you've done a great job on it :)

Parts 7-11 are still to be upped, and there's lots of reading there too <G>

Comments?

You're the greatest, Sapura and the Paradox Team!

I know this game will rock my world!!!

But Sapura... Next time you play Sweden you should be more careful!

/Doomie

Originally posted by Sapura on 05-10-2000 03:33 PM

Comments, suggestions? Questions?

Sapura

Dear Sapura,

Could you please explain to an old buff like me how I put in my AAR- The Papal States to the AAR section. Text and screenshots, everything !

sincerely

/Greven

Nice job Sapura recovery from the disaterous early stages of the game. The bloodless victory versus the Danes was very nice. Really enjoyed both Campaigns againist the Germans, it was pretty intense (not as much as it was for you I am sure), very edge of the seat could go either way type activity. look forward to the further annexation of the Danish territories and the death of the tuetonic Order that I am sure is coming up soon.

Dragon,

There's alot more in store, in the last 5 parts, indeed :) What happens in the first posted 6 AAR's is childs play compared to what occures in the last 4-5 =)

Btw, the bloodless victory against the Danes was not totally bloodless. Had they managed to transport their army from Jytland, I'd have been in serious trouble and they would have not folded so easily. It was because of my victorious naval war over 3 months that forced them to deal.

Greven,

I didn't personally put in the AAR. What I did was write the AAR info out using word, in .doc format, creating screenshots along the way. I then converted them to 150k jpeg's. After that, I zipped the whole thing up and sent it to Johan, he handed the stuff over to Patric. So really, its a case of just writing it up, zipping, and sending it on! :)

Sapura

Originally posted by Sapura on 05-11-2000 02:49 AM
Dragon,

There's alot more in store, in the last 5 parts, indeed :) What happens in the first posted 6 AAR's is childs play compared to what occures in the last 4-5 =)

Btw, the bloodless victory against the Danes was not totally bloodless. Had they managed to transport their army from Jytland, I'd have been in serious trouble and they would have not folded so easily. It was because of my victorious naval war over 3 months that forced them to deal.

Greven,

I didn't personally put in the AAR. What I did was write the AAR info out using word, in .doc format, creating screenshots along the way. I then converted them to 150k jpeg's. After that, I zipped the whole thing up and sent it to Johan, he handed the stuff over to Patric. So really, its a case of just writing it up, zipping, and sending it on! :)

Hmmm... Good ! Thank !

I've been playing the Pope lately. Come to the magic year of 1513. Actually if my game is continuing the way it does Poland-Lithuania will be a Superpower in the 17th century. Never since such luck !! :)

/Greven

Sapura,

I noticed in the screenies that you seemed to have had a constant stability of -2 or -3. Does that affect the morale of the troops? Could this be the reason your early wars went so badly?

/Doomie

Yes stability does affect your country quite a lot. At -3 you are unable to declare war on another country until your stability increases above -3. 0 and below however is quite usual when you are fighting wars.

A way it can drop is if you declare war on a country that you have no 'Casus Belli' on. That is a legal reason for declaring a war on them. A legal reason may be their dishonoring of your alliance when you went to war, for example. Attacking a country with whom you have a Casus Belli causes no stability loss.

Stability can also drop if you declare war on a country with the same religion as your own. 'same true faith..', and (I'm pretty sure) If you have a previous standing truce with them, too.

The major effect of -3 stability is the possible explosion of rebellions throughout your realm in the most stability affected areas of the realm. For example, recently annexed areas from other countries, poorer areas, pillaged areas. First to go are the outer non-'nationalist' areas of the country.

However I don't think this stability affects directly the moral of your troops in the battle. Moral there is measured by your land tech, losses occuring in battle, R&R time for your army as well as if you've gone bankrupt. Moral of your troops drops to such a low that at times you are unable to defeat rebelling peasant armies.

Does this answer your question, my Swedish super-hero?

Sapura

>Does this answer your question, my Swedish super-hero?

Um yeah, but I am a bit worried about being called a super-hero... :)

Perhaps I should change my username to 'Captain Sweden'. :D

Another question... I assume that the cross symbol in the province view signifies which religion is prevalent in the region. I noticed in the screenshots that Savolaks, which was occupied by the Order when Sweden went through the reformation, was still Catholic when you re-claimed it. Now, how do you go about converting conquered provinces to the true faith?

/Doomie

Captain Sweden

<Rofl>. I nearly spilled my apple juice reading that ... :(

Captain Sweden & Commander Poland perhaps?

Another question... I assume that the cross symbol in the province view signifies which religion is prevalent in the region.

You assume correctly, sire.

I noticed in the screenshots that Savolaks, which was occupied by the Order when Sweden went through the reformation, was still Catholic when you re-claimed it. Now, how do you go about converting conquered provinces to the true faith?

I don't think you can convert individual provinces to a different religion, however:

You can however perform wholesale religious reform of your country depending on what stage of the game you're at you can choose the religions you want to convert to.

There's several options, Catholic,Protestant, Counter-reformist and so on. If you do change your religion there is usually an explosion of hatred towards you by the groups who supported the previous religion and this can lead to a very long de-stability problem, just like the one that occured in my AAR's.

You can't actually change a province religion through any options (that I've seen so far) and I think it occurs gradually, over time, IF the de-stability of your country can be brought under control, that is. This is done through a slider system in the religious menu, where you can choose to put the most emphasis on a particular religion (the most prevalent in your country) followed by secondary religions.

Perhaps there should be an option where the army goes in and forcefully 'guides' them towards the 'true faith'. Something like that would obviously create more instability in the region, population loss through war / massacres and such like.

Sapura

[This message has been edited by Sapura (edited 11-05-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Sapura (edited 11-05-2000).]

Originally posted by Sapura on 05-11-2000 11:34 AM
'Commander Poland perhaps?'

Why not HighChieftain White Eagle of the Federated Noble Families ? :)

Sometimes I can picture those Polish Light Cavalry units (like Texas Rangers) patrolling the Vast Steppes of Ukraine battling bands of Zaporogian Tatars where ever they plunder...

'Now, how do you go about converting conquered provinces to the true faith?

I don't think you can convert individual provinces to a different religion.'

Sap, I don't now but I think that you maybe missed my topic 'Converting the Masses' in the Beta Forum... :)

Actually you can convert individual provinces. First, one should seperate State Religion and Provinsial Religion. The State Religion decides together with the Regent's manipulating of the Tolerance ledger, how the masses in the provinces will react.

If you want to convert a individual province , logically you need to lower your tolerance towards it, or better not tolerate them at all. The consequence is massive revolts caused by your repressive spiritual policy. When the population is 'exhausted' enough you can send in your clergy and convert them.

Unfortenantly it is a bit technical, and I can't penetrate the subject deeper, as I don't want risking my neck in telling to much.

But the fact is you can. That is what is important. It is hard, dangerous, and takes time, but also a hell of a fun.

A curiosity: I once conquered most of Germany as Poland and set myself to recatholize it. Numerous revolts broke out. I really thought I had armies enough, but... Country after country started to resurrect, like ghosts from the grave my old victories paraded in an inverted fashion. This countries, Saxony, Brandenburg, the Hansa, Hannover et al soon join in an alliance against me; The Evangelic Pact (in an alternative fashion), not very long there after they were besieging Warsawa.

/Greven

Why not HighChieftain White Eagle of the Federated Noble Families ?

hmm, very good, though I doubt it would fit the space :)

patrolling the Vast Steppes of Ukraine battling bands of Zaporogian Tatars where ever they plunder...

I see them all the time :) Infact, I'd love a strategy / war game based on the Polish armies / campaigns <sighs>

Actually you can convert individual provinces. First, one should seperate State Religion and

I ment converting individual provinces automatically through some sort of an option. I know individual provinces can change their religion, however its not an 'off and on' thing that may be available through a direct option.

I once conquered most of Germany as Poland and set myself to recatholize it. Numerous revolts broke out. I really thought I had armies enough, but... Country after country started to resurrect, like ghosts from the

That's quite an achievement - capturing most of the German provinces for Poland. Apart from the fact that they are of a different religion I doubt it would have worked anyways because the Germans would never want to be under the foot of the Poles. Or vice versa. Infact history has shown both cases to be true.

This countries, Saxony, Brandenburg, the Hansa, Hannover et al soon join in an alliance against me; The Evangelic Pact (in an alternative fashion), not very long there after they were besieging Warsawa.

Hmm, did you resolve it? I don't think those principalities would have had the resources to successfully attack Poland, even in an alliance such as that. Probably what caused coup de grace was the overwhelming revolts all over their realm that slowly bled the country dry until it had no more resources left. This happened to me playing as Russia. 1/2 of the Polish Commonwealth was controlled by the rebels, Russia, together with Hungary / Moldavia pillaged most of the country. However my forces avoided larger Polish army formations, instead scurrying off back into the wilderness when they came within my vicinity, heh.

What exactly happened, details :) That would make a very nice AAR <G>

Sapura

'That's quite an achievement - capturing most of the German provinces for Poland. Apart from the fact that they are of a different religion I doubt it would have worked anyways because the Germans would never want to be under the foot of the Poles. Or vice versa. Infact history has shown both cases to be true.'

Yes and No ! Before the Thirty Years Wars there were no such thing as a national conscioussness. The Dynasty and its policy was the centrepoint of politics. I've read letters from 1523,a merchants from Venice writting to his wife telling her that he did excellent business with to foreigners, one from Brügge and one from Florence. I concede that the difference in religion divided people, but language and culture wasn't that important until the time of masspropaganda, i.e. the Thirty Years War.

Note that I had most of Northern Germany in my hands from 1518 and onwards. (The Reformation hit in 1521).

'Hmm, did you resolve it? I don't think those principalities would have had the resources to successfully attack Poland, even in an alliance such as that. Probably what caused coup de grace was the overwhelming revolts all over their realm that slowly bled the country dry until it had no more resources left. This happened to me playing as Russia. 1/2 of the Polish Commonwealth was controlled by the rebels, Russia, together with Hungary / Moldavia pillaged most of the country. However my forces avoided larger Polish army formations, instead scurrying off back into the wilderness when they came within my vicinity, heh.'

As I was regrouping to beat the Protestants back. I was attacked by Russia allied to Hungary, and after a few years Crimea and Sweden joined in fro a bite.

I persuased Sweden for a Status Quo-peace, rather early. I concentrated my attacks on the Protestants pushing them out and I never accepted battle with anyone else. Suddenly Hungary was attacked by Turkey and I could besiege and take their conquests back. I signed a status-Quo with Hungary and gave away Welinki (which I had Catholicized) to Russia. I finally gave a catholic province to Crimea.

After all battles with the Germans they were all mine again and very soon most of their provinces accepted the Papal Dogma again.

No then Russia and Crimea started to get trouble from having too many religions within their borders, and my reconquest started...

/Greven

concede that the difference in religion divided people, but language and culture wasn't that important until the time of masspropaganda, i.e. the Thirty Years War.

What you forget however, is that the Poles and Germans have been at each others throats since the early 10th century when Mieszko and his descendants fought several wars against Germans wanting to extend the realms south & east of the Oder. Not to mention the battles with the Teutonic Order.

They were tradtitional enemies always willing to stab each other in the back.

After the 2nd battle of Tannenberg, in WW1 one of the German generals said that this was the revenge for the loss that occured there to the Order in 1410. Talk about deep seeded ;) Not to mention that it was the Russians they had defeated, not the Poles, but I guess the 'Slavs' were all the same to him.

As I was regrouping to beat the Protestants back. I was attacked by Russia allied to Hungary, and after a few years Crimea and Sweden joined in fro a bite.

Well, thats very un-sporting of them :) You'd have no chance against an active alliance such as that, no matter who you play.

After all battles with the Germans they were all mine again and very soon most of their provinces accepted the Papal Dogma again.

That must have been an extremely long war. Going on by what you say here it probably last atleast 8+ years. Maybe you can a screenshot of your conquests by the end of the game, it'd be quite interesting to see :)

Sapura

Originally posted by Sapura on 05-12-2000 05:32 AM
concede that the difference in religion divided people, but language and culture wasn't that important until the time of masspropaganda, i.e. the Thirty Years War.

'What you forget however, is that the Poles and Germans have been at each others throats since the early 10th century when Mieszko and his descendants fought several wars against Germans wanting to extend the realms south & east of the Oder. Not to mention the battles with the Teutonic Order.'

No I don't forget but you are talking about enemy dynasties here. But during the period you talk about Germans freely lived in the cities of the Provinces of Western Prussia and Posen, and 'Little Russia'. Not also that Danzig (A German City) freely merged with Poland, a countr that at the same time was at war with the Teutonic Order. Another example is the German Archbishopric of Riga turning to Poland for help from other Germans (i.e. the Teutonics)
Note also that in every Russian source until at least 1517, the Russians call Swedes, Danes, Poles, Teutones; 'Germans', by that denoting there Catholic Faith. Faith was interesting cultuere/language wasn't.

'They were tradtitional enemies always willing to stab each other in the back.'

And Yet Poles accepted a German King ? August II, and they also accepted fighting Swedes sideby side with their 'Archenemies' the Germans(i.e. Saxons) ?

I believe that the Polish-German enemity came later, much later, and has been heavily 'historized' by those winning political point in doing it.

'After the 2nd battle of Tannenberg, in WW1 one of the German generals said that this was the revenge for the loss that occured there to the Order in 1410. Talk about deep seeded ;) Not to mention that it was the Russians they had defeated, not the Poles, but I guess the 'Slavs' were all the same to him.'

I think it was Ludendorff. But this is exactly the political historization I am talking about. It is a modern reconstruction of history. The WW I was the Birth of Modern Nationalism, not funny that such arguements comes into the Political Rhetorical Propaganda.

'Well, thats very un-sporting of them :) You'd have no chance against an active alliance such as that, no matter who you play.'

No exactly ! You barely survive, if they are generous.

'That must have been an extremely long war. Going on by what you say here it probably last atleast 8+ years.'

I think it dragged on for 14 years something, my Catholic provinces didn't revolt though. But then again my Government made sure that they were liked. And then it took perhaps 10 more to Catholicize Germany, but these provinces was more torned down than after the Thirty Years War, or perhaps this war TYW in an alternative world. :)

Maybe you can a screenshot of your conquests by the end of the game, it'd be quite interesting to see :)

No sorry this was way back, when I was testing 'the Convert Mechanism'.

/Greven