• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

adfs

Captain
11 Badges
Sep 20, 2009
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • For The Glory
  • 500k Club
ver: 1.1
mode: multiplayer (both start scenario and load save game)

description:
after connection screen, the gameplay screen won't show up, get a CTD
(application error: ftg.exe module: ddraw.dll address:0x00032c85)

seems randomly, because not happen every time. both start scenario and load save game may meet this bug.

noted that if in the connection screen, the "player status" become "ok", this bug won't happen.

every CTD when the "player status" still is "connecting".

sorry for my poor engilsh, thx for your attention.

Upvote 0
i wait all your replys for a long time... let me sing a song: you'll never walk alone:p

here is my personal experience
1. directx and vc++ runtime won't help.

i tried different verions:
default directx with xp3 sp3
directx 2009aug
directx 2010June (newest)
directx 8's ddraw.dll

vc++ 2005 sp1
vc++ 2008
vc++ 2008 sp1
vc++ 2010

2. clean os won't help.
clean install xp pro with sp3(msdn version, md5/sha1 checked)
only install chipset/video/lan drivers, without any other drivers and softwares and configurations.

3. hardware drivers won't help
i tried different driver versions (chipset/video/lan)

4. compatibility mode in xp won't help
i tried different mode (98/me, nt, 2000)

5. classic shields and vanilla better (less ctd)
but i tried delete all shields/flag pics, sitll can get this ctd.

6. not affect by vlan softwares(such as hamachi), becoz i tested with real lan, not using any vlan softwares.

7. local area/internet mode the same, won't help

8. maybe computer/hardware related, becoz i tested with different computers, very different results
a<->b (about 6-8ctd/10times)
a<->c (6ctd/10times)
a<->d (1ctd/11times)
a<->e (6ctd/34times)
b<->c (0ctd/10times)

don't know why different computer have such big different result. up to which 2 computers to connect.

a: amd 3600+, ati hd3850, mem2g
b: dell1501 laptop, sempron 3500+, ati x1150, mem1g
c: sony vaio w117 laptop, atom 1.66g, gma950, mem1g
d: p4 3.0, geforce6200, mem768m
e: celeron2.4, gma900 or 950, mem512m

i did many testing, so i only can remember 1-8, i will add if i remember others.:rolleyes:

i think we should raise a new test under win7<->win7, especially 64bit.
due to there are many different between xp and win7 64bit.

becoz my computers are not good, so my testing only under xp pro sp3.

Anyone had any luck recreating or solving this problem?

In last year, I changed my desktop computer and laptop, both of their OS is win7 64 with sp1 ultimate edition.

But still met this CTD.

Have you tried the recommendations in this post? It's at least a starting point.

Have you tried the recommendations in this post? It's at least a starting point.

Yes, tried in first time, no use.

The post from Stoertebecker that MichaelM linked here, was after the first try we did in the German forum: we played with 5 people the Napoleon's Ambitions campaign till 1819 and had just 1 CTD at startup.
The Windows compatibility settings described there really make the game much more stable - but in-game. They do not seem to help much about the start-CTD...

The second try, with up to 13 people, was frustrating - and at the end we gave up and started playing EU2 again.

But what we found out, I described in my post in the 1.3 thread:

Regarding the CTD on a start of a Multiplayer game in 1.2: in the German forum http://www.si-games.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22 we did some testing with 5 to 13 players and had some interesting findings, like that if we started the game just with people having up-to-speed hardware and really fast Internet connections - so the game would load and connect for all people at the same time - it would CTD much less. It did make us fell, like there would be a timeout of about 1-2 seconds happening, which causes the CTD.

My best guess is really, that there is a timeout happening, which brings the CTD... It would be much easier to debug this, if I'd have access to the source code ;)

Pls keep trying, because this bug has probability.
My CTD appears at 10th or 11th attempt.

You say in post #21 that you think it might be hardware or PC related (computer A, most likely), but now you seem convinced it's a game bug. Is anyone else seeing this? If not, it's unlikely it can be fixed in game code.

I don't know if the new patch has touched on it or not, but today we gave it another go and with 3 players we managed to play 28 years (~3 hours) without crashing. However, it was on the Fantasia scenario which doesn't have historical events or more than a handful of countries. But, a few years back when we tried to get the game going it would hardly start at all with anything more than two players.

After massive testing, I'm sure it's a game bug due to each computer met this CTD. Tested on almost 10 PCs, no one survives at last.
But the result has probability, different on each PC. Also different on vanilla and AGCEEP, more CTD probability on AGCEEP (1.1/1.2).

after checking with 1.3pb's changelog and previous dev's feedback, I don't think they addressed the issue.

Last edited:
after checking with 1.3pb's changelog and previous dev's feedback, I don't think they addressed the issue.
We have not been able to reproduce the issue in beta tests. Perhaps this weekend we can get a larger game going.