• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Could you provide more background about the 1.09 changes to bastardy/pregnancy? The patch log mentions that married women will now "cheat" on their husbands and claim that the child is not a bastard. How will it work? Will there be an event to find out later on that the child is a bastard?

Sometimes the husband will discover it, and sometimes not. Currently, there are no events for a later discovery. The child will have a stored "real father", though this is not visible without debug tooltips.

Steam releases depend on someone at Valve waking up from their drunken stupor to hit the 'release' button, so it probably won't be before 18:00h CET (10:00h PST/Valve HQ time). Might be earlier, might be later, impossible to tell.

1.08 came in at about 1600 GMT, I remember because I was expecting it later and I was surprised by it.

Sometimes the husband will discover it, and sometimes not. Currently, there are no events for a later discovery. The child will have a stored "real father", though this is not visible without debug tooltips.

Or looking through the save file, I gather?

Is there more than one succession law in republics? (My apologies if this was already answered in a DD).

There are only two; "Patrician Elective" for the republic itself, and Agnatic Seniority for the Patricians.

What happens to a patrician, when members of the family live outside of the merchant republic, and some of them have their own feudal titles?

I.e. if I am a patrician, and my nephew is a count:
- Does he also get money from my budget for being related to me?
- Can he have claims on the republic, and press them?

Also what happens if a member of my patrician family becomes a muslim ruler?
I.e. I am a patrician and my nephew is a Muslim emir:
- Does our family get decadence? (And decadence revolts?)
- Would the merchant republic also be affected by decadence?
- Does he have a chance at all at managing decadence? (Most of the family would be in my republic so I think my nephew would not last long...)

Your dynasty can exist anywhere, including feudal realms, but some dynasty members are barred from inheriting. E.g. if it would make you, the Patrician, a vassal of someone other than the Doge. All adult men of your dynasty still get a cut of your income.

Muslim Patrician families get decadence as normal, and yes, this could affect the Republic itself.

Apologies if this has already been covered, but if we can go from Republic to Feudal government, would it be possible to go from Feudal to Republic? Possibly setting up your heir as a mayor and then granting them a top level title (Kingdom or Duchy)?

What about the "cant split armys unless paused" bug in multiplayer, there was no mention of a fix for that in the patchnotes?
If I as a feudal lord create a new doge ingame, are the republic features enabled for that new republic (including 5 familys in there)?
Can multiple people choose to play a family in the same republic in multiplayer?
Does ruler designer work with republican characters?

Last edited:
Sorry if some of these are dealt with in development diaries, but here goes:

If I give a family member a coastal republican duchy, will one of the five patrician families be of my dynasty?

Yes

Is it possible to create a sub-county level merchant republic using non-county-capital cities and titular duchies (so that, for example, Ragusa could be represented without giving them 1/4 of Serbia)?

Hmm, perhaps it would be possible, but I would not recommend it.

What options do merchant republics have for expansion CB's?

They have two unique CBs allowing them to seize any coastal city, and if they have a coastal city already, the entire county.

Do trade posts count as traditional holdings, or are they dealt with differently, so that there can be Venetian and Genovese outposts in Constantinople?

They do not count as normal holdings. There can only be one per county.

If somebody takes the republic's duchy title, what happens to the holdings of the patrician families, including those outside of the de jure duchy? Is it possible to keep playing as a feudal lord after such an event?

All trade posts are destroyed, as is the family palaces of the Patricians, but they can still exist in their regular holdings. Beware though; as a player it is game over if your capital is a city in that situation (you would become a lesser republic.)