• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Epilogue
The War that ended all Wars

The Second War On Communism

After the failed assassination attempt in September of 1941, a second war broke out between the Axis and the remains of the Soviet Union. The details of the incident are still somewhat unclear but the official investigation concluded that a Soviet agent was responsible and the attempt failed thanks to the intervention of two German officers. The documents produced by the investigation commitee were classified for a hundred years. The Japanese response was quick and clear: on Ocotber 1st, 1941, war was declared on the Soviet Union. Hitler joined the effort wholeheartedly, despite of the Heer being completely unprepared. At the time, according to official sources there was only two Armies of reserve troops stationed on the enemy border. Still, they were deemed capable of holding back a possible Soviet attack until more capable units can be redeployed from Spain, England and France.

During the first weeks of the Second War On Communism as it later became called, there were next to no Soviet activity, so the commanders of the border guard troops took the initiative and started offensive maneuvers into Soviet lands. They were surprisingly successful. Evidently the Soviets weren't any more prepared for a war than the Germans. Or at least so it seemed at the time. But the fact remains, by the time the reinforcements from France arrived, the border guards already made considerable progress into enemy territory.

The advance started to slow down with the start of the Winter. A combination of bad weather and the ever worsening supply situation made offensive operations difficult at first and impossible later. As a response, the allies of the Reich sent expeditionary forces to help out. Most historians believe that this was the main reason why the campaign almost turned into a disaster. There's an alternative hypothesis caliming that the confusion of the Axis forces was in fact artificially orchestrated, a calculated risk to strech out the war with the intent of keeping Japan occupied. Of course there's no evidence to support this claim.

Meanwhile fighting continued against the remians of the Western Allies as well. Even though British India surrendered and became occupied by Germany, Nepal and Buthan kept fighting until they were finally suppressed in October and Nocember, respectively. As a consequence of Soviet aggitation, Tibet and the independent province of Xinjiang (Sinkiang) got involved in the war and became deadly battlefields for over a year, going back and forth between Axis and Comintern control.

But Central Asia was not the only region where Communism was searching for allies. In January of 1942, evidence came to light about a conspiracy to bring the new French State under Soviet influence. A German declaration of war and a quick offensive followed and the whole of France was under firm Axis control by early February. Haiti signing the Tri-Partite Pact in April was seen with great concern in both the Dominican Republic and Cuba and the small Caribbean state needed to be saved from her stronger neighbours.

With the Caribbean region secured by June, 1942, the fight could finally be brought to the enemy in Central America: Mexico and Canada were invaded on the 5th of June. The former surrendered quickly but the sheer size of the later and the unfavourable terrain resulted in a long campaign. Canada was finally defeated on the 5th of February, 1943. With both New Zealand and Australia defeated in December and South Africa collapsing in April already, the leaders of the Western Allies had nowhere to run anymore. The Allies Faction was officially disbanded during the month of February, 1943 and with the Allied threat neutralized for good, the entire Axis could focus on puting an end to International Communism. Still, with the logistical and operational difficulties and the deterioration of the situation in America, the campaign against the Soviet Union lasted until January, 1944.

Unternehmen Sternsturm

American concerns were raised already during the Caribbean conflict in April of 1942, but at that time the issue was solved diplomatically, with the United States accepting German intervention to root out Communism from the back-yard of the USA. But during the Canadian campaign, the heavy bombings of military installations and factories in Ontario, Quebec and New Brunswick, the differences between the American and German leadership became apparent. President of the United States Fritz Kuhn declared that "German aggression in North America can't and won't be tolerated forever" and that "the United States of America won't allow Communism to take a root in her soil but this will distance itself from the extreme and unnecessary measures taken by the Axis forces in Canada". Relations between the two powers broke down in March and it became obvious that conflict is unavoidable. The American government used a minor border incident between Brazil and Venezuela to intervene citing the Monroe Doctrine from the nineteenth century, claiming that Brazil's membership in the Axis makes the incident a form of European interference and thus an act of war against the United States itself. German troops entered Americen soil on the same day, July 6th, 1943.

Due to the immense size of the United States and the speed of the German offensive, the American forces had no chance to defend on a broad front. They penetrated the Canadian front in Alberta and Saskatchewan, cutting off the forces in Vancouver but their front quickly collapsed in Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire and New York in the North and on the entire border in the South. Despite some initial problems with supplies, American resistance was credited more to the size and decentralization of the country rather than their military prowess. US President Fritz Kuhn presented an unconditional surrender on December 2, 1943, making the American Campaign even shorther than Operation Barbarossa. Most historians agree that the reason is most likely the convinient timing: at the outbreak of the war, Germany already had two Armies stationed in both Mexico and Canada.

The World Council

During the last two years of the conflict known as The War that Ended All Wars, a new organization, the World Council was formed to serve as a global government responsible for worldwide and international issues. Despite the initial reluctance of some countries in South and Central America (and also Finland and Afghanistan), by the Summer of 1944, every single country on Earth joined the new organization with the only exception of Switzerland, which was declared a neutral country. There's considerable speculation to this day about the reason of this sole exception. The most popular explanation involves some secret pact between the leaders of the Axis (although the wildest theories talk about a Swiss mastermind conspiring to rule the World through the World Council), but suffice to say that a single country in the middle of Europe can't pose a threat to global peace.

The success of the World Council is unquestionable. There wasn't a single armed conflict since the end of the Panama Campaign on June 16, 1944. That's the longest period of time without a war in recorded history and quite possibly since the birth of mankind. The monetary unification of 1951 helped global trade reach unprecedented hights and the spread of technological knowledge allowed formerly uncivilized regions to integrate into the global community. Strict rules, efficient regulations and fine-tuned logistics allowed famine to be a thing of the past while preventing overpopulation. And with the recent breakthroughs in the field of interstellar travel, the World Council might very well turn into a representative body for Earth on the interstellar community!

And as for our heroes...

Anna and Hans

After the incident in June, 1941, Anna and Hans Grübermann fled the Reich. Anna's original plan was to move to the United States but they only got as far as Switzerland before the French State was overrun by Axis forces. With no better idea they settled in Wiedehorn, a small village at the Bodensee. They were quite surprised at the declaration of Switzerland's sovereignty guaranteed by the Reich. Rumor has it that Hitler and Mussolini couldn't get to an agreement over the partition of the country and at the suggestion of Hirohito, they both agreed to keep Switzerland independent. Others say that the country simply bought its freedom. But whatever the truth was, Anna and Hans lived in Wiedehorn until their deaths in the early 1980s. They named their only child Erhard. He grew up to be an electronical engineer and became one of the most well-known computer-scientists of our time.

Martin

In 1943 Martin Lederer had a huge fight with his long-time fiancee, Alexanderina Kobori. She moved back to Bucharest and they never talked again. He worked in the Ministry of Propaganda and Public Enlightment until his retirement at the age of 65. After that he started writing books. Most of his work was based on war stories in a nostalgic and patriotic tone, "post-realistic", as he described it. His old secretary, Erwin became his chief rival in his post-retirement occupation as well, trying to capitalize on his success with his own line of cheap copies. Some sources state that the scandal in 1981 (involving a certain young man claiming to be the unlawful son of Martin) was originally his fabrication. The scandal turned out to be a hoax (he never got into another relationship after Alexanderina) but it left a ditry stain on his reputation. He never married and died in Berlin, in 2005 at the age of 93.

Joachim

After the war, Joachim left the Kriegsmarine, declining an offer to make himself a career there. In 1944, he moved to the United States and started his own steel company. Business started really good but the bank that originally financed the project disappeared without a trace and the company would probably have gone bankrupt if not for Wilhelm, who unexpectedly donated a small fortune to Joachim in November, 1945. He got married in 1950 and had four children: three girls and a boy. He had a strange habit which he never explained even to his wife or children: up until his death in 1983, every year on Christmas morning, he arranged for an advertisement for as many newspapers around the World as he could afford at the time with the following text: "I will be arriving with the 6:11 to the Munich Train Station. If you could meet me there, please, write to this address!" This strange excercise kept all his acquaintances scratching their heads.

Wilhelm

After participating in the American campaign, Wilhelm von Walsrode retired from the Heer in the rank of Colonel. The futility of Erhard's sacrifice pushed him over the edge and he lost all of his faith in the system. He commited suicide in December, 1945, one of the coldest winters of the decade.

Index

Last edited:
awesome ending. going from Axis to world peace and prosperity for all is a very nice touch. so is the part of the major characters. great idea with the yearly advertisement.
about the actual war stuff: I assume you played through it all, right? If so, I would love to see a world map after the facts.

awesome ending. going from Axis to world peace and prosperity for all is a very nice touch. so is the part of the major characters. great idea with the yearly advertisement.

Thank you :)

about the actual war stuff: I assume you played through it all, right? If so, I would love to see a world map after the facts.

There will be another epilogueish chapter next Friday with gameplay notes and details about the war with the US. (I think I didn't spill this little fact before this Epilogue, but no, the plan didn't work out in the end and I had to fight them.) After that I'll answer any specific questions you might still have :)

A nicely constructed epilogue. Thank you. It does leave a lot of game-play questions open, though... Such as how exactly did the war start between Japan and the USSR? It also looks suspiciously like Germany invaded the USA - so was Kuhn drifting too far away from the Axis when you moved into North America? And was the conquest of the USA really as easy as it sounded? If so, could you explain why? Surely they must have built up massive forces by then?

Questions, questions... Those that won't be answered next Friday will be answered afterwards. I want to keep up the little suspense that is still there as long as possible. But of course feel free to keep asking such questions, I'll try to remember them when the time comes ;)

A note: I re-uploaded all the pictures because Imageshack resized them to be ten times as big as they should have been. (In bytes, not in dimension.) Now they shouldn't be as much of a strain to people with slower connections.

Wilhelm committed suicide?
that is sad. :(

Aftremission

More Gameplay notes and the American Campaign

Gameplay notes

With the story now finally completed and the game finished, I guess it's time to take a look at what I wanted to achieve in light of what I did achieve.

The original goal was to keep the Allies at bay while I kick butt in Russia. That worked aggravatingly well. Soviet resistance was ridiculously weak and that campaign was annoyingly short. The second run was much longer (one and a half year from October 1942 to January 1944) for three reasons.

First, I really wasn't prepared for that war. I did the DoW, not the Japanese of course (they are not scripted for that sort of thing) but I had to do it ASAP and I thought it could make things more interesting. Well, it didn't. Not really. On the other hand, I have to say that letting the AI handle that front for over a year cost me many Divisions! They went too far, then got cut off and destroyed with no supplies.

Second, my Allies tried to help a bit too much. Hungary, Italy, Romania, even Japan sent tons of troops to the Soviet front. They didn't help much but they screwed my supply lines. I got lots of Expeditionary Forces, too. They were always redeploying, so the first thing I did was ordering them to stop immediately. (Redeployment hurts the supply network twice as much!) Then I organised them into somewhat independent, separate Exp. Force chians in my command hierarchy. I even put some of those to AI control.

Third, the abysmal infrastructure. The first war was in European Russia. The infrastructure is bad there but it is much, much worse in Asian Russia, and it is much farther away from Berlin, too. Not to mention the helping hands I had, redeploying back and forth all over the place...

Oh, yeah, and the fourth reason: there are virtually no airfields in Soviet Russia! And even if there was an airfield in the vicinity, there was no fuel anyway. By this time I hade a gazillion of V2 rockets but I couldn't even use those. And it's not like they would have helped either, the Soviet Industry was comparable to Italy with five times the area and one third of the infrastructure. In other words, not that impressive.

So, the Soviets did several counterattacks. Their supply situation was far better than mine and my AI-led Divisions really liked to get themselves surrounded. But at this point I didn't really care anymore. The last two or three VPs I grabbed with Paratroopers after the USA fell. Although I have to admit, there were at least two occasions when the original attempt to drop the guys was unsuccesful because the enemy Interceptors chased off the Transport Planes. I had to use some cunning diversions to avoid them: I sent a couple of Interceptors to patrol the air at a certain region away from the enemy airfield and start bombing there. The enemy aircraft jumps at the opportunity to shoot at some bombers and get caught by my fighters. Meanwhile, my Transports can sneak through and drop their load on the Airfield. This trick is only necessary when the last VP has an airfield with all the Air Force of your enemy. It is arguably an exploit, but only because you are dropping Paratroopers on a VP, not because you are making a diversion for the fighters.

Most of South America joined the Axis voluntarily, but not all of them. The AI script (the one I used that is) makes it so that countries with over 80 Neutrality won't really join a Faction and even with a Neutrality of 60 it is not a given. Strangely enough, relations have absolutely no effect, nor does threat. So I decided to influence those countries that have a low Neutrality and/or they are lowering it manually and to DoW those that have a permanently high Neutrality. Funny thing is, Finland aligned towards the Axis on her own, but they wouldn't accept an invitation because of Neutrality. The best part is that when I finally decided to attack them (using almost exclusively Paratroopers because I was fed up with long campaigns against minors in bad terrain), they were lowering their Neutrality again. Tough luck. Afghanistan was influenced by Japan but they wouldn't join either, so they had to go, too.

In Central America, there are quite a few Democracies. That's important because having a different Ideology Group gives a relatively big penalty on the chance to accept an invitation, so they took several tries to get, even if they had less than 60 Neutrality.

And actually I made an exception with Switzerland because I wanted a safe haven for Anna and Hans to flee to, even though it made no sense in the context. And I stand by my decision.

Unternehmen Sternsturm
Because that's what you are really interested in, aren't you? You bloodthirsty bastards...

The second goal which I introduced after the Barbarossa Campaign was to get the USA into the Axis before Japan declares war on them. I managed to do that, too! Well, sort of. As I said in the Epilogue, they didn't really take the bombing of Canada too well. Declaring wars didn't increase threat since Danzig, but when I started fighting in their neighbouring provinces (and most of Canada's passable provinces border the USA!) and especially my attempt to lower Canadian National Unity so I don't need to go as far as Vencouver generated like 100 threat in a few months. With that much threat they were flying away from my corner faster than my Polish campaign! So the diplomatic method of inviting them was doomed to failure.

Still, I didn't want to finish the AAR with Japan DoWing the USA, that wouldn't have worked. I wanted to do it myself. Or more precisely, I didn't want to DoW the USA because that would have put them into the Comintern (because we were fighting them already) and the same would happen if Japan DoWed them. I had to find an alternative solution. That alternative solution was the DoW on Venezuela. The US Guarantee on all South American countries is mandatory, they can't dishonour it. So yeah, technically it was me who started that war. Which is why I was "conviniently" prepared for it:

usa_war_plan.png

The original plan for Unternehmen Sternsturm, which would be the most German word ever, if it existed.

The plan worked flawlessly. The American forces really did attack in the empty wasteland of Central Canada while I stomped through them in the North East and also along the entire Mexican border. Even their Navy was ridiculously weak. By that time I had a second Carrier Fleet of 5 Carriers and 5 Light Cruisers with fairly modern CAGs as well. (Ever wondered why does it take so long to upgrade and repair CAGs? It's because upgrade and repair cost and time is based on the base build cost and time of the unit and the build time of CAGs is made to match that of a whole Carrier.)

us_invasion_mid_september.png

By Mid-September, my forces were deep in US territory in both the Canadian and Mexican fronts.

Note that ugly stripe of land in California, that's the 12. Panzer-Division sent to take the coastal VPs in California, Oregon and Washington. It got cut off, but it still reached all the was up to Oregon. I had three Paratrooper Divisions in Vancouver (from the final days of the Canadian Campaign) which were also cut off by the American offensive. I'm lucky they never got completely surrounded though. Losing them would have caused quite some frustration later on.

us_invasion_mid_october.png

By Mid-October, the troops from the Mexican and Canadian Front almost linked up.

The 12. Panzer-Division was surrounded in that VP in the North-West which I won't look up because I don't care enough right now. Point is, they surrendered later on, being the only Division-size casualty of that campaign. By the way, I'm not really decided about this issue, but isn't the USA a bit too decentralized in terms of VPs? I mean shouldn't they surrender already at this point? Oh, well.

us_surrender.png

The situation in the United States on 2nd of December, 1943.

On this last map you can see how far I had to go to make them kneel. Also note that this is with two VP provinces being paradropped (the one circled and another in the North) while two more are practically cut off from the continuous occupation-zone. (Those two were taken in the normal fashion but I left some defence forces there so they don't get lost when the Yenkies come back. And as you can read on the picture, that small blob in Florida that was not there before is not an amphibious landing but simple partisans. Fortunatelly they didn't manage to cause any real trouble.

After their surrender, I decided to make the USA a puppet right away. I didn't want to keep their territory (I had enough trouble with partisans and especially the AI-controlled forces in Russia already) and creating a puppet after annexing wouldn't give that much either. (That is useful if the target lost all of its ground forces and doesn't have a great navy or air force, because releasing a puppet gives them a 3xINF Division in every province of theirs that has IC in it.) They had the following units after I puppeted them:

us_forces.png

Statistics of the United States Army, Air Force and Navy. (Yes, including the Marine Corps.)

The entire campaign lasted for 115 days, which is slightly shorter than my Barbarossa Campaign was (that was 130 days). The US Army had much less troops (they had enough to have one or two Divisions in every border province) but they were much, much more advanced. They had lots of Motorised and Mechanized Divisions. Most of them had a Combined Arms bonus, too. Still, after they lost Washington D.C. (which was very close to my first strike), it was all downhill for them. And they were not even mobilized when the war started. Probably because none of their official neighbours were threatening enough and they can't "see through puppets". That might be an interesting thing to keep in mind.

Conclusion

So, all in all I consider this experiment to be successful. It definitely is possible to win the game (ie. reach a pseudo World Conquest) with the "Soviets First" strategy in vanilla Hearts of Iron 3: Semper Fi against the AI. But I probably wouldn't try it against a human player or in any half-decent mod. I also believe it to be possible to bring the USA into the Axis diplomatically if you don't jump the gun and start bombing Canada. But again, that might not work in more recent versions or using a mod.

And with that, this AAR has finally reached

THE END

Index

P.s.: There's only one question now: Can the World Council into space?

Last edited:
I suppose it's too late to get an image of the world as it would have been nowadays?

my one US conquest (also vanilla SF) was kind of boring because of the distances involved and the AI-led armies insisting on a broad front approach. was over by 1943 or early 44. still had plenty of time for world conquest, but this campaign was a bit of an anticlimax.
when I tried the same thing on ICE it was less successful: all I saw were a gazillion binary armour and mech divisions.

So, with this ambitious project coming to its end, it's time for you to ask your questions and I'll answer them as they are coming! I may even explain a few more things on my own if they don't come up ;)

I suppose it's too late to get an image of the world as it would have been nowadays?

I still have the save so I could post a World screenshot, although it wouldn't be a perfect representation. After the World Council restored global peace, borders were redrawn and some of those changes can't be done in vanilla SF. The basic idea is that the abominations like the United States of Socialist Republics or the British Empire were carved up along ethnic borders under strict and effective governments following a German example. Colonial rule was officially ended in all parts of the World. Then all the governments were reorganized into a hierarchy of local, regional, national, continental and global councils, responsible for taking care of any and all issues of the appropriate level. In the end it turned into a utopia, bringing a golden age of science and with the huge discoveries in the area of rocketry and nuclear science, a real Space Age has arrived by the end of the 20th Century. But that is a different story for later ;)

my one US conquest (also vanilla SF) was kind of boring because of the distances involved and the AI-led armies insisting on a broad front approach. was over by 1943 or early 44. still had plenty of time for world conquest, but this campaign was a bit of an anticlimax.
when I tried the same thing on ICE it was less successful: all I saw were a gazillion binary armour and mech divisions.

As I pointed out, the main reason why this US conquest was rather anti-climactic is that one imagines an invasion of the US to start from a different continent so they have their steel wall defending them. This was not the case here: both Canada and Mexico joined a war against me earlier, so the USA remained neutral in those conflicts until I already took them out and I was able to launch my invasion from their backyard. Sure, they had the most modern army of all of my enemies (they had a lot of MECs), but they never stood a chance. There's no way they could have fielded enough forces to hold the entire border on both sides. (Partially because of the low manpower they start with to avoid them building un-historically big armies early on in vanilla.)

as far as questions go: just how many panzers and infantry did you have by 1940? with one year less to build up and with that Siegfriedline maxed out, it must have been 0ne crazy build schedule.

Well I think you've answered all the remaining questions. It's a shame there wasn't more challenge in the campaign, but hopefully the writing of the narrative was a lot more rewarding for you than the actual game-play must have been at times. Nice job! :)

It will probably sound funny to those who never wrote a narrative before, but I really felt sorry when Hans was blown up and it was really heartwarming when he found out that Anna was carrying his child. Despite the fact that I came up with the idea, it genuinly felt good! And even though it was a very sad ending for Wilhelm, I do believe that it was fitting for his character. He simply couldn't handle how pointless the fate of Erhard was.

So yes, I believe it was rewarding at times :)

And considering that the AAR has almost 93.000 view right now, I also believe that others found it entertaining as well! Thank you everyone for your views, your comments, your support! It was a really wonderful year writing for you :)

as far as questions go: just how many panzers and infantry did you have by 1940? with one year less to build up and with that Siegfriedline maxed out, it must have been 0ne crazy build schedule.

The closest save I could find was from December 27, 1939. By then I was already at war for half a year:

forces_in_1940.png

For comparison, here's a screenshot from the final save:

forces_in_1944.png

I just noticed that the war was almost exactly five years long from June 10th, 1939 to June 17th, 1944. A little shorter than the real thing with a little more achieved :)

And here's a crude map from the World in June, 1944:

end_map.jpg

As I said, most of the stuff that theoretically happened could not be actually done in the game, so most of the land gained is still under direct German occupation.

EDIT: And now the AAR has reached over 100.000 views! That's AWESOME! Thank you everyone for reading! :D

Last edited:
Just wanted to note that this is your last chance to vote for this AAR on the AARland Choice Awards. But don't forget to vote in the future because there will be plenty of AARs that can benefit from such awards! Your five minutes of filling out a ballot can give the necessary push for an author to continuate an almost abandoned AAR even if it doesn't win in the end! It's the thought that counts! :)

I hope you won't view this as a simple bump, but this is important to me, and indirectly for the community as well:

Hitler's gamble - An alternate German Strategy was nominated for the Iron HeAARt award of 2011. If you read through this AAR an liked it, please, consider voting for it in the linked thread. Also, if you have time, check out the other four nominees and read those AARs, too! (And if you like one of them better, then vote on that one! :) )