• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I thought it was from "Saving Private Ryan" though I may be wrong

Actually it might be. I think the scene I'm thinking of from "The Longest Day" was with the British paratroopers, and one British soldier keeps diving in a lake with a chaplain to find his suitcase.

Actually it might be. I think the scene I'm thinking of from "The Longest Day" was with the British paratroopers, and one British soldier keeps diving in a lake with a chaplain to find his suitcase.

Yeah, I thought of that at first, until Tom Hanks popped into my head and I started thinking it was "Saving Private Ryan" :D

No it is SPR

Yep!

In "The Longest Day" the chaplain is specifically looking for his lost Communion set. My favorite line from that movie is probably "I heard... two... clicks... ughhhhh" from the GI that mistakes the sound of a German chambering a rifle round for the pre-arranged signal for their troops. I'm not sure if I can work it in here though...

Yep!

In "The Longest Day" the chaplain is specifically looking for his lost Communion set. My favorite line from that movie is probably "I heard... two... clicks... ughhhhh" from the GI that mistakes the sound of a German chambering a rifle round for the pre-arranged signal for their troops. I'm not sure if I can work it in here though...

You can probably fit in my favorite line from "The Longest Day" - the part where the British have landed around Pegasus Bridge, and one British officer (I think a medic) comes walking in from the other side of the bridge, and when the officer asks why he's doing so, he simply replies, "Anyone can make a mistake."

Yes, it is Saving Private Ryan, he was rounding up troops to go looking for Ryan and he takes a comm guy? He starts packing everything and takes his typewriter, then he says that.

Anyways, this AAR is awesome, keep it up.

Anyways, this AAR is awesome, keep it up.

Thanks!

It is getting a bit grueling since I have to play at slower speeds to make sure I don't miss any important Allied activity in the Pacific, and writing everything down also gets time-consuming. I am hoping to finish soon so I can move on to 'For the Motherland', and all the support from the readers here is a big help in keeping me motivated.

Thanks!

It is getting a bit grueling since I have to play at slower speeds to make sure I don't miss any important Allied activity in the Pacific, and writing everything down also gets time-consuming. I am hoping to finish soon so I can move on to 'For the Motherland', and all the support from the readers here is a big help in keeping me motivated.

You could make your load a bit easier by just taking screenshots of everything that happens that you wan to put down. Thats what I do now for my AAR, saves paper, time, and can remind you of things you might have forgotten to write but you want to put in. Only problem is going through every single screenshot you take and figuring out which ones to put in.

You could make your load a bit easier by just taking screenshots of everything that happens that you wan to put down.

Currently I'm pausing the game, taking pics, and writing down my initial thoughts as I play through. Later, when I'm ready to make an update, I format the pictures and polish up my associated thoughts. If I tried to speed things up by only taking pictures, I might forget what was going on or what I found funny at the time.

[size=+1]1942, April – Borneo Campaign[/size]

Spring dawns with fresh campaigning around the world. In the west, the Allied/Axis front has stabilized a bit by cutting Spain in half. I’ll bet nobody expected that.

”No-one expects the Spanish Inquisition!” – Cardinal Ximenez

Take note that the US was originally trying to bust out from Barcelona, but this area has been reduced leaving them sitting on Mallorca and Majorca. They have also taken Sardinia.

In the eastern Mediterranean, the Bulgarians continue their faceoff with the Greeks. This area highly concerns me since as I saw in my last game, US troops could start pouring out of that area at any time. Yugoslavia is down near the Axis faction corner of the diplomacy triangle, but they are starting to drift towards the Allies. I am debating declaring war on them so that Germany and Italy can link up with the Bulgars and possibly assist in Greece. Or, just leave the Bulgars to their fate, since an Allied conquest of them won’t open a path to the Axis heartland unless Hungary or Romania goes into the Allied camp.

Ch09_01_SpainGreece_b.jpg

Up north, Lhasa has been under constant attack for over four months! And for nearly every day of these four months, the attack was at 99% against me. However, at the last week of March, the attack completion took a steep nosedive down to around 65%. General Homma, on loan from the Japanese, is the new hero of pan-Asian solidarity!

Ch09_02_LhasaFront.jpg

I have plenty of other Japanese troops on loan that I am trying to ship out of there to get to areas where I can have an easier time supplying them and get more use out of them. Even doing strategic movement, I have barely made any progress in getting them relocated. Important tip: never commit more than a token force in the Himalaya region no matter how tempted you are.

” Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously, and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light”
“Right, that's bad. Okay, alright, important safety tip, thanks Egon” – Egon Spengler and Peter Venkman

The US is making headway on taking Portuguese Timor (as you can see on the minimap, I care about this since that island would threaten my supply to Australia). The US also has taken Okinawa for the second time. I think I will be forced to help the Japanese get it back since this threatens my Haikou – Vladivostok supply route.

Ch09_03_PortugueseTimor.jpg

As I mentioned in the last update, I have just finished another round of Convoy production. Allied attacks have done a real number on my trade and supply, as you can see, my Merchant Marine logs are a litany of red ink. It would be neat to see a list of Convoy ships lost & sunk by me, but that doesn’t seem to be one of the available statistics. And since playing a German and doing sub warfare on the UK seems like a “cool” thing to do, this would appear to be a pretty big oversight.

Ch09_04_ConvoyList.jpg

Be that as it may, let’s continue, shall we?

1 April: I’m ready to assault Borneo. Sadly, I don’t know if this experience will be like Sumatra, where I have to make separate landings at every port since there is no infrastructure to connect them, or if it will be more reasonable like Java where I can at least send one division from province to province. Hopefully if anything comes out of this AAR, it will allow other people to plan their Pacific battles better. Since I am forced to guess in this game, I will start out by attacking Balikpapan province, which has the current Dutch capital and the only VP on the whole island. The top half is owned by the British; while there is nothing of real value there, it does contain their last two ports in this theatre of operations.

My men arrive late in the day, and are surprised to see Greek(!) soldiers here on loan. April Fools’, I guess.

Ch09_05_InitialVisitBorneo.jpg

The Greek soldiers try to block my landing, but good luck trying to cut through that jungle! Needless to say, they don’t manage to get there faster than my men can get off the boats.

2 April: A moment after I attack Balikpapan province, all those men disappear, so I presume they were out of supply.

Ch09_06_BorneoCapitalAttack.jpg

4 April: More troops are sent to Pontianak on the west side of the island. The Greeks are back, so maybe the defenders on the east side of the island simply shattered and were teleported over here.

Ch09_07_BorneoWest.jpg

Japanese_landing_off_the_west_coast_of_British_North_Borneo.jpg

I notice a major Japanese – British battle going on off the coast near Singapore that involves at least one Carrier, but the display doesn’t tell me who owns what ships.

9 April: I take the Dutch port, and luckily for me, I can actually attack the British one up here without having to resort to boats. I notice there is a British Carrier up here, maybe it is the one the Japanese were trying to engage earlier.

Ch09_08_KuchingCarriers.jpg

10 April: I’m hitting the last Dutch port on the island.

Ch09_09_TarakanAttack.jpg

11 April: Japanese loaner troops have finally arrived in the Burma theatre, now I just need to wait for them to resupply.

Ch09_10_BurmaTheatre.jpg

15 April: British Motorized troops pop up to present the first serious (and only) defense of Borneo.

” Our chief weapon is surprise...” – Cardinal Ximenez

Ch09_11_KuchingDefense.jpg

16 April: I send Japanese expeditionary troops to help retake Okinawa. The US appears to be using these islands as a base for strategic bombing of Japan.

Ch09_12_OkinawaStartAttack.jpg

19 April: Turns out the US has at least a Medium Armor division doing garrison duty on the island.

Ch09_13_OkinawaDefenders.jpg

Tank_flamethrower.jpg

22 April: More men arrive to take Okinawa.

Ch09_14_OkinawaReinforce.jpg

25 April: Back in Borneo, more Brits show up, and I get pushed out of Kuching.

Ch09_15_KuchingLost.jpg

27 April: The British are about to pinch off Tibet from the rest of China, and I can’t do anything about it since all the troops Japan gives me are always out of org and supply.

Ch09_16_LhasaRegion.jpg

30 April: I take back Okinawa. The British Motorized unit in Kuching is fast enough that it catches my fleeing division and eliminates it. Now that I have Okinawa, I should be able to redirect my Transport fleet to get more forces in the Borneo area, although I may lose the Dutch port. The fleet that the US had based in Okinawa engages my ships when they are forced to leave, and I lose a Transport without inflicting any matching losses.

The loss of my division in Borneo hits me pretty hard emotionally. Since 1936, my construction of new troops has been extremely limited. I managed to beef up various divisions with Artillery, I created a new Mountain division building four brigades in serial, and I upgraded another two brigades of Infantry to Mountain. I am trying to come up with enough ICs to start making new ground troops, but my OOB is barely changed from 1936 and I am very close to my existing men as they are basically irreplaceable. As I expect the bodies of my lost troops are vanished forever in the jungles of northern Borneo, I will have to give them a state funeral in absentia.

Deadchinese.jpg

[size=-1]In memoriam of all the Chinese soldiers who gave their lives for their homeland in the real war[/size]​

”End of Line…” – Master Control Program

Last edited:
Currently I'm pausing the game, taking pics, and writing down my initial thoughts as I play through. Later, when I'm ready to make an update, I format the pictures and polish up my associated thoughts. If I tried to speed things up by only taking pictures, I might forget what was going on or what I found funny at the time.

Probably a better idea then I currently use. Darn... back to doing what I did before :D

So Im guessing all those troops in Tibet are just standing there to keep the Brits busy since they dont seem to be of any other use.

Basically. My best option at the start of the war might have been to place my entire army up there to try and sweep down to the sea as rapidly as possible, but now it is too late for that. If I find myself in a position to turn full attention to India again, I will probably launch invasions port to port along the coast with the goal of cutting all the British troops there off from their supplies.

That war in Spain is NUTS.

Exactly what I was thinking when I saw it :D
It's crazy to see that there are only like what maybe 10 British units along the entire front with most of them in the north, and the Germans and Italians still have not rolled right over the south and cut off their supplies and take Gibraltar

The big problem is that all those Axis troops are out of supply themselves. It seems pretty clear that the AI hasn't been programmed to take this into account.

Just caught up. Nice work, but I think you are going to be crushed eventually. Spain is crazy. What is Uncle Joe up to?

Nice picture of that dapper Italian marine BTW.