• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Buenos Aires Star - The Politics of Business

Stock of Chilean Telephone, one of the major players in the communications infrastructure businesses, has been fluctuating rapidly as rumors spread about legislation that could affect its funding and future prospects. Due to uncertainty in several pieces of proposed legislation and the various actions and funding support of several major firms - many controlled by major Chilean business families - confidence in the future prospects of several major national firms has been wavering. One of the hardest hit has been Chilean Telephone, the communications giant headed by Mr. Arteaga.

When asked about the firm's situation, Mr. Arteaga said "The stock market is a very fickle thing. Someone starts a rumor - sometimes baseless, or misinterpreted off of a law they heard about - and investors rush toward or away from your company's stock. When a company is as influential as Chilean Telephone, the rumors are bigger and more frequent. If one of the major investors, like the business families or independently wealthy individuals, invests - all the smaller fish rush to invest as well.

There is a negative side as well. There was a rumor, based on some proposed legislation - that some people interpreted as potentially cutting off a major investor from Chilean Telephone. That was bad for investment - in times like these, people are afraid of risks."

Asked about whether he felt he should become more involved in politics, he replied that "To some degree, I already am. With a company dealing with infrastructure at such a large scale, it is impossible to be completely separate from politics. I would like to stay apart and just manage my business, but I may have to become more involved in cooperating with the government as well, especially as so many projects for reconstruction open up, and industry and politics are so closely intertwined."

Whether these new turbulent times for business will prompt more businessmen like Carlos Arteaga to get involved and perhaps even run for office is unknown. It is clear, though, that many are reconsidering how politics affects them in this post-civil war era.

I run for Replubicano Nacional Canditates
Coalition ; With Reactionaries
Coalition candidate: Alvarado
Pro-Military/Secularism/Interventionism/Protectionism/Full Citizenship

Last edited:
Senor Silva, in a show of good faith has donated 10,000,000 USD to Chilean Telephone. In other news, Senor Silva has purchased large amounts of land and has ordered the construction of 20 new factories, his official comment was that this would create a massive amount of jobs and benefit Chile.

Last edited:
Reports are coming in of an attempted assassination of Carlos Ramone de Guerro. The gunman, a supposed Communist sympathiser, was able to fire off a round, which hit de Guerro in the left arm. Before the gunman could unleash any more shots, Chilean guards were upon the gunman and had restrained him. Carlos Ramone de Guerro is currently being treated and is expected to recover very quickly, and be back campaigning as soon as possible. Rumours are circulating amongst a few that the gunman is not actually a Communist sympathiser, but has been hired by Palomino. Palomino has not yet released a statement, but de Guerro has responded to these rumours about it being Palomino.

"I do not believe that Palomino would hire a man in an attempt to kill me. We have no vendetta against one another, in fact, we are quite friendly. These rumours are just despicable attempts to slander him, and I hope they stop immediately."-statement from Carlos Ramone de Guerro

Then why mention that the attacker implicated Palomino, Señor?

"I would like to reassure the public that the attempted assassination was indeed not carried out or planned on the behalf of myself. General de Guerro and I are both close friends. He has performed very well as a General in our army, and I wish him the best of luck as the end of the Primaries draw closer and closer."

~President Daniel Palomino

Party: Liberales
Candidate Andonie
Coalition:
Coalition Candidate:

I would urge thjose who have voted for my opponents to reconsider. It appears they are sinking to new lows.

Carlos Andonie

Candidate Andonie
Coalition:
Coalition Candidate:

I would urge thjose who have voted for my opponents to reconsider. It appears they are sinking to new lows.

Carlos Andonie

"You are saying that we are sinking to new lows on the basis of rumours from some tabloid? Neither I nor Palomino would gain anything from this debacle, and I know I speak for both myself and Palomino when I say we wouldn't resort to such dirty tactics as an attempted assassination. The rumours are just people trying to stir up a political ruckus. Also, I never said Palomino did it, the tabloid came to question me on rumours,that they had apparently been in the knowledge of, that Palomino was behind the attempt on my life, and I clearly responded with that I believed he had nothing to do with it, and he has also confirmed that he was not behind it. Palomino and I are close friends and we wouldn't resort to these measures at all. Reacting on rumours is just foolish."- statement from Carlos Ramone de Guerro in hospital

It seems more likely that fe Guerro hired thugs to beat him up on public to incriminaate Palomino than Palomino himself involved in such scandals..

Earlier, we reported that an attempt on de Guerro's life had occured. Earlier speculation on the man being a Communist sympathiser have, after interrogation by officials, been revealed to be true. The man, Andreas Tiago, had strong ties with the Communist party, and had been a part of the failed coup though he had managed to avoid capture. Further delving into the subject revealed that Andreas' attempt was because of de Guerro's strong anti-Communist feelings, which had been made apparent when de Guerro stumbled into the political foreground. Earlier we also had reported on rumours, which had no evidence, that Palomino was behind the attempt. We must now confirm that these rumours were indeed false, and we apologise for misleading the people. -Excert from a tabloid

"It seems that there are quite a few of us here that react based solely on rumours, and don't look into the facts. After some thought, I have decided the best thing to do is drop out of the primaries, as to remain in would be to just further cause havoc because of the controversy, and I must thank those that had supported me, and I have decided that I shall support Palomino. Though I have decided to drop out, I shall still battle for the veterans and fight to get the bill passed."-Carlos Ramone de Guerro

Candidate: Palomino
Coalition: With Republicanos Nacionales/FNT
Coalition Candidate: Palomino

Last edited:
Party: FNT
Candidate: Farias
Coalition:
Coalition Candidate: Farias

With the news that De Guerro has dropped out I am changing my support to the FNT as I can not support Palomino and his failed economic policies.

Alejandro Ramirez

Candidate: Farias
Coalition: none
Coalition Candidate: Farias

Two of Senor Silva's corporations, the Silva medios de Comunicación(SMC) and Silva Grupo de Noticias(SGN) have bought large amounts of shares from the Central-South American News Group(C-SANG), which controls many news and radio outlets all across Central and South America.

Last edited:
It is apparent that the incumbent has a clear majority. Therefore to allow us to concentrate on the main campaign I formally withdraw my candidacy and endorse Señor Palamino

Carlos Andonie the Third

With the polls closed, these are the tallies as they stand:

(Note that I do not typically allow independent candidates to vote, which is why the Republicanos Nacionales only have one vote)

And this looks like a National Unity ticket to me with all votes reporting, so I'm going to have to go ahead and work something else out, so we can have our last election in style.

Liberales:
With FNT: 8
With Republicanos: 5
No Coalition: 1

Daniel Palomino ((MastahCheef117)): 7

Total: 9

FNT
Antonia Zepeda ((thekinguter)): 1
Alejandro Farìas ((viola)): 3

With Liberales: 2
With Republicanos Nacionales: 1
No Coalition: 1
Abstain: 1

Alejandro Farìas ((viola)): 3

Total: 4

Republicanos Nacionales:
With Liberales: 1
With FNT: 1
No Coalition:

Sebastian Montenegro ((Ivir Baggins)): 1

Total: 1

Here's the deal:

As the polls stand, there will be no one to oppose Daniel Palomino in the general election, who will win re-election by default as the National Unity candidate.

But since this, the 1931 election, will be the last Presidential election and I want to give the thread a good send-off, any candidates (regardless of party, even if you're another liberal) who would like to oppose Palomino in the general election shoot me a PM. I will pick one such candidate to run against the incumbent.

If no one is still willing to oppose Palomino, or if there isn't enough interest in opposition, I'll figure out something else.

EDIT: For clarity, I prefer people who were already running.

Last edited:
Name: Jose Bevan, Senator for Santiago
Born: 1889
Background: Son of David Bevan, and is pretty much identical in terms of policies. Bevan is increasingly disturbed by the pacifist turn being taken by the FNT, and wants to take it back to it's Bevan/Gogolowite roots.

The aging and sickly Communist leader, Ernesto F. Fuentes, was released from prison today and put under house arrest in his estate north of Santiago.

Name: Jesus Villa
Born: 1895
Party: Independant
Background: Son of famous Chilean general Francisco Villa, Jesus Villa distanced himself from his fathers military background and took up his own form of political activism by working with Labor Unions and attempting to improve conditions of the common workers in Chile.
Is in the works of making an explosive entry into politics but as of now is biding his time.