• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam L

Courtier
67 Badges
May 14, 2008
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sengoku
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
I'm switching to Steam from Gamersgate and I need to know if I can buy AHD on Steam? I bought the original as a boxed version from the Paradox Web Shop.

Thanks.

I've been a PC gamer now for over 20 years and my greatest pleasure has been strategy games. When I discovered Paradox some years ago I thought I'd hit the motherlode. However, I refuse to buy any more games that are infected with Steam.
Call me old fashioned but when I've paid good money for a game which I intend playing on my PC - not multiplayer, I do not want to have to connect to a third party to determine whether I can play it.
Sadly it seems like PC gaming is coming to an end and it's the publishers who are intent on destroying it. Just look at the Total War series -ruined by the connection with Steam (just look at user reviews). I've still got Empire Total War unplayed on my shelf after paying £25 on release as Steam wouldn't let me play it and as I'd already registered it I couldn't even sell it.
Sorry to be so negative but it's sad to see another of my favourite stretagy games producers going down the same route. I for one will not be buying any more PC games that have any connection with Steam.

For Paradox games on Steam you dont have to be connected to steam to play it, just download it.

I think some people just want to vent their anger at something sometimes, and Steam's nature means that it is always going to be a natural target for such hatred.

Yeah, steam only requires a connection for multiplayer and download. You do not need to even have an internet connection to play games from them you downloaded all the files are saved on your computer

Some games actually don't work without an Internet connection, but many (including Paradox) work fine. It's still not much of a gripe, since a PC gamer who isn't connected to the Internet these days is clearly insane (or suffering from a temporary setback). Steam is pretty convenient and the sales are great, it's not very intrusive and it's a great way to organize multiplayer matches with friends. People who don't like it are people with a painful allergy to DRM in general, even extremely non-invasive DRM.

But to answer the question and stay on-topic, AHD on Steam will not work without a Steam copy of Victoria II. Paradox expansions never come with their own .exe, so Steam treats them as DLC. Iirc Crusader Kings 2 and onward won't even have expansions, just tons of smaller DLC releases so people can pick which new features they want and Paradox can get them out faster and cheaper.

But to answer the question and stay on-topic, AHD on Steam will not work without a Steam copy of Victoria II. Paradox expansions never come with their own .exe, so Steam treats them as DLC. Iirc Crusader Kings 2 and onward won't even have expansions, just tons of smaller DLC releases so people can pick which new features they want and Paradox can get them out faster and cheaper.

So... for those who bought a hard copy of Victoria 2 from amazon.com, where will AHD be available?

I
Sadly it seems like PC gaming is coming to an end and it's the publishers who are intent on destroying it. Just look at the Total War series -ruined by the connection with Steam (just look at user reviews). I've still got Empire Total War unplayed on my shelf after paying £25 on release as Steam wouldn't let me play it and as I'd already registered it I couldn't even sell it.

I just wanted to point out that if you haven't played it how do you know it's ruined?
User reviews are not relevant. I had loads of fun with Empire. It had a lot of buggy issues, but that was CA's fault, not Steam's. Why wouldn't it let you play it? There's got to be some logical reason.

So... for those who bought a hard copy of Victoria 2 from amazon.com, where will AHD be available?
Through any of several online digital-download services that aren't Steam. I buy Paradox games from Gamersgate, whose delivery mechanism dishes up an unmodified version of the product that you don't have to jump through hoops to apply beta patches to.

Through any of several online digital-download services that aren't Steam. I buy Paradox games from Gamersgate, whose delivery mechanism dishes up an unmodified version of the product that you don't have to jump through hoops to apply beta patches to.

GamersGate may be the only version of the game that doesn't use Steam, if CK2 is setting the precedent, though I wouldn't be surprised if they find some way to let people with boxed copies register their games on Steam so they can get the expansion that way. And applying beta patches on Steam is as easy as applying them to any other version: you unzip them and send them to the directory.

Some stuff:

AFAIK AHD will be on Steam.

Steam is not required for AHD, in fact none of our internally made games require Steam. CK2 comes closest with the boxed version needing Steam activation, but there is still a non-Steam downloadable version on GG.

If you bought V2 somewhere besides Steam I don't think you can buy AHD on Steam as it will tell you you need Base V2 to play it. Steam does have a feature which allows you to add non-Steam games to your Steam libary, but I have not tried doing this and then buying addons via Steam. It's possible that it might work, but I cannot promise that it will.

Call me old fashioned...

You're old fashioned. Steam doesn't interfere with the game at all.

Anyway you don't need to use Steam at all to play VIC2, just download the game on Steam and then go into the Steam folder and copy and paste the game files to somewhere else on your computer and play it from there. Steam not needed.

I've been a PC gamer now for over 20 years and my greatest pleasure has been strategy games. When I discovered Paradox some years ago I thought I'd hit the motherlode. However, I refuse to buy any more games that are infected with Steam.
Call me old fashioned but when I've paid good money for a game which I intend playing on my PC - not multiplayer, I do not want to have to connect to a third party to determine whether I can play it.
Sorry to be so negative but it's sad to see another of my favourite stretagy games producers going down the same route. I for one will not be buying any more PC games that have any connection with Steam.

Im sorry to say that you are either going to have to adopt, or stop playing computer games at all. Physical discs, and stores are soon going to be a thing of the past. The future of gaming distribution lies in digital shops such as steam.
Also i dont understand the problems people are having with steam. Steam is an excellent shop, and does not intrude on your privacy what so ever, unless you choose to play on VAC secured servers in games like TF2 wich will allow steam to see what programs you are running in order to find cheat program.
If the problem lies with you not having stable connections, or having download limits then yes i feel for you. But whining about steam, GG and other digital distributors is not going to solve your problems. The responsible thing to do in that case is to pressure your goverments to remove download limits and to expand the civil broadband connections.

Also most steam games only requires a connection to activate the game on your account, not to actually play the game..

Im sorry to say that you are either going to have to adopt, or stop playing computer games at all. Physical discs, and stores are soon going to be a thing of the past. The future of gaming distribution lies in digital shops such as steam.
Also i dont understand the problems people are having with steam. Steam is an excellent shop, and does not intrude on your privacy what so ever, unless you choose to play on VAC secured servers in games like TF2 wich will allow steam to see what programs you are running in order to find cheat program.
If the problem lies with you not having stable connections, or having download limits then yes i feel for you. But whining about steam, GG and other digital distributors is not going to solve your problems. The responsible thing to do in that case is to pressure your goverments to remove download limits and to expand the civil broadband connections.

Also most steam games only requires a connection to activate the game on your account, not to actually play the game..

+1

If you bought V2 somewhere besides Steam I don't think you can buy AHD on Steam as it will tell you you need Base V2 to play it. Steam does have a feature which allows you to add non-Steam games to your Steam libary, but I have not tried doing this and then buying addons via Steam. It's possible that it might work, but I cannot promise that it will.
It depends on how you do it, there are two ways to add boxed games to your library.
The first is to "add non-steam games," which allows you to launch non-Steam games with the Steam overlay, so you have access to your friends list, web browser, etc. without minimizing. It doesn't really add them to your library, because it doesn't count as owning the game on Steam and it doesn't track playtime.
The other is to actually register a game on Steam with its CD-key. I don't think Paradox games support this, but if they do, it's functionally identical to buying the game on Steam (DLC will work, you can write recommendations, etc.).

Just copy-pasta the game files to your C:/. I use steam, I bought the game on steam, and I play Vicki II almost aevery day. but I haven't played Victoria II on steam in months.

Status
Not open for further replies.