• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately I didn't think to take tech screenshots. However, I did take one that shows the economy and armed forces which I'll show in chapter 11. My original plan was to show the research right before I made my grand entrance onto the global stage. For now, all of my infantry techs for mountain and regulars are up to date, as is my engineer river bridging tech. My land doctrines are up to date and my artillery at this point was around 1938 levels I think. Industry is far worse and aside from education is at 1932 levels or lower. I think I started researching single-engine aircraft after I took Beijing, but I don't remember. When you only have 6 LS points you need to really focus on one area if you're going to excel, and I had 6 points up until I took over the northern area, which brought me up to 11 points (8 from Regional Power law, 3 from education tech) and really allowed me to start branching out. To reach Regional Power requires at least 100 brigades and 30 IC, so you guys now know I have at least that much at this point.

I can't reach the next level of International Status without 5 total aircraft and 100 IC, and the jump between Regional (8 LS) and major (15 LS) is a huge bonus. I've already hit Regional status, but need to unify all of China to reach 100 IC and get 5 air wings to become a Major. As a comparison, Italy is the biggest Regional power in the game and isn't a major. To reach major status I think Italy needs to build or capture about 15 IC to reach the 100 IC mark.

My original plan was to show the research right before I made my grand entrance onto the global stage. For now, all of my infantry techs for mountain and regulars are up to date, as is my engineer river bridging tech.

I take it you didn't think it would be helpful to have a few divisions rounded out with ENG to help assault the Yellow River?

The aircraft quota seems like an odd restriction. Does that mean a nation with 5 planes that has one shot down in combat suddenly loses status?

The aircraft quota seems like an odd restriction. Does that mean a nation with 5 planes that has one shot down in combat suddenly loses status?
No, it doesn't.

You need aircraft because you cannot realistically be a major power without an airforce and let's face it - 5 air wings is not that much. Even regional powers can afford it.

I take it you didn't think it would be helpful to have a few divisions rounded out with ENG to help assault the Yellow River?

I did seriously consider that, but in the end I felt artillery was more useful overall than engineers. Engineers are very specialized units while artillery is useful everywhere, which is why I made the choice to ignore engineer brigades in favor of artillery. Yes, artillery gets some bad penalties in rough terrain, but if you do the math your divisions with artillery still have better stats than divisions with engineers would, because the soft attack and toughness bonuses of ART are far higher than ENG (something like 2.0 SA for 1940 ART and 0.4 SA for 1940 ENG in the mod), even with ART's terrain penalties.

Great stuff. Any plans for the PRC after the fascist imperialists in Nanjing have been slaughtered? Will Manchuria be reclaimed?

Chapter 10: Phase 2, The March to Nanjing - June 11, 1942 to February 4, 1943

Immediately after the capture of Jinan, the PLA surged forward to exploit the crumbling NRA front lines. However, the NRA's peasant soldiers were too numerous for the PLA to simply charge forward. Doing so would risk opening holes in the PLA's battle line, and the PLA was too inferior numerically to risk losing a section of the line to an NRA counter-attack. As such, the war continued as it had before, with the PLA advancing slowly and methodically.

Trench warfare was typical of battles fought during the war
huaihuatrench.jpg

By August 12 the wealthy province of Shandong was mostly occupied, trapping around 12 NRA divisions in the Shandong Peninsula, with the old German concession of Qingdao as their only source of outside assistance. Within weeks those divisions were cleared out and the PLA troops involved freed to advance south. The sudden shortening of the front allowed for localized concentrations of force in the east, which was then used to make rapid advances along the coast.

The Shandong Pocket saw the surrender of 12 NRA divisions
shandongpocket.jpg

As the NRA's lines to the east were pushed back, the KMT leadership relocated some of its western defenders east to stop the PLA's rapid advance, which weakened their western positions enough for the PLA to also make rapid advances along the entire line. By December 18, the PLA had reached the outskirts of Nanjing, Hefei, and Wuhan. Mao and the rest of the CPC leadership believed that the KMT would surrender if these three cities were to be taken, and were the focus of the next month's offensives.

The PLA reaches the outskirts of the largest cities still held by the KMT
almostdone.jpg

After taking the time to rest and reorganize, simultaneous assaults on Wuhan and Hefei began on January 9, 1943. Wuhan fell quickly after 8 days of fighting, but resistance in Hefei was much stronger. It wouldn't be until January 21 that Hefei would fall. After the capture of both cities, the KMT leadership in Nanjing began to reach out and offer a negotiated peace, but Mao was insistent that there would be no deals with the enemies of the people.

The Battles of Wuhan and Hefei paved the way for the Battle of Nanjing

The Battle of Nanjing began on January 28, 1943. The attack began from four directions, thus enveloping the city and its defenders. The RoC's industry was unable to cope with the losses it had suffered, and had trouble producing enough supplies even for the capital's defenders. As such, the NRA's soldiers defending Nanjing were hungry, had ammunition shortages, and were demoralized. It seemed as though the NRA had lost the will to fight, and Nanjing fell on January 31, 1943, after only 3 days of fighting. It would take a further 4 days to occupy the capital.

Nanjing was captured on February 4, 1943, thus ending the War of Liberation

A PLA military band marches through Nanjing
bandd.jpg

The KMT leadership surrenders to the CPC. Note the red divisions with a ? sybmol. Those are NRA divisions that defected to the PLA after the Republic's fall

----------------------------------------

Phew, it's finally over. Well, the hard part at least, as I've never gotten this far as the PRoC before. Japan's ahistorical coup choice was the key to victory, I think. The CPC's work isn't done yet though, as the provincial warlords are not willing to end their autonomy and must be incorporated into the PRoC. Then there's the matter of Japan and Manchukuo, as well as Mongolia and Tannu Uriankhai. But first things first, the autonomous provinces must be brought under the new central government's control.

Last edited:
Nanjing was captured on February 4, 1943, thus ending the War of L

You seem to have run out of letters there. That must be the slider-AI not allocating enough IC ;)

Good job so far. Now for the cleanup and on to grander adventures. I am looking forward to another "What's going on in Europe"-Chapter.

Cheers
Moe

Just a note. If I'm not mistaken, you may be able to prod the Warlords into bowing before you by causing a communist coup. Although I imagine that wouldn't be easy ;)

You seem to have run out of letters there. That must be the slider-AI not allocating enough IC ;)

Good job so far. Now for the cleanup and on to grander adventures. I am looking forward to another "What's going on in Europe"-Chapter.

Cheers
Moe

Darn slider AI. I put it on manual control and fixed the problem ;) Next chapter will be a short analysis of the war, and the chapter after that will be another "what's going on in Europe" chapter. As a sneak peak for the Europe chapter, I'll leave you guys with this little tidbit: I laughed hard once I saw a certain event fire :)

Just a note. If I'm not mistaken, you may be able to prod the Warlords into bowing before you by causing a communist coup. Although I imagine that wouldn't be easy ;)

Yeah, but that would take time and leadership, and I need all of my leadership to rebuild my officer corps and get up to speed in the industry and aviation tabs. While I could fund a coup, it would be easier to just march the PLA over the borders :)

Yeah, but that would take time and leadership, and I need all of my leadership to rebuild my officer corps and get up to speed in the industry and aviation tabs. While I could fund a coup, it would be easier to just march the PLA over the borders :)

I thought this was SF, and you couldn't do a coup? Either way, it still seems a worthy investment to at least try and coup Japan, so you can cull them from the Allies peacefully.

I thought this was SF, and you couldn't do a coup? Either way, it still seems a worthy investment to at least try and coup Japan, so you can cull them from the Allies peacefully.

This is a SF game, but the HPP has a coup mechanism in place for when neighboring countries have very low popular support for the ruling party.

Also, here's a fun fact: the coup feature in FtM came from the HPP mod, although the exact mechanics are a little different :) Actually, several aspects of the mod made it into the official game, which we can all thank Slan for.

what are the exact annexation results in case of a civil war? do you still have increased partisan risk, or is all of China considered a core to you?
congrats! the rest should be a walk in the park in comparison.

That part certainly went well and it's nice that you picked up some divisions from the fallen republic. I'm curious that they surrendered so soon - were you undermining their NU or does it have something to do with the Yunnan Clique still controlling the region that normally joins the RoC when the Unified Front fires (Sichuan?)?

wish they had an event that sent the RoC to Taiwan or something

That part certainly went well and it's nice that you picked up some divisions from the fallen republic. I'm curious that they surrendered so soon - were you undermining their NU or does it have something to do with the Yunnan Clique still controlling the region that normally joins the RoC when the Unified Front fires (Sichuan?)?

It's because Sichuan is part of the Yunnan Clique at the start. While not accurate at all, Sichuan was semi-autonomous like Shanxi, Yunnan, Guangxi, and the west in general. Rather than make a new Sichuan Clique nation we took the lazy way out and gave Sichuan to Yunnan. Once Yunnan joins the United Front Sichuan goes to the RoC, to reflect the Sichuan warlord's pledge of allegiance to the KMT.

wish they had an event that sent the RoC to Taiwan or something

We do have one in the mod, however Taiwan can't be Japanese. If it wasn't owned by Japan then the RoC would've ceded mainland China to the PRoC and fled to the island. In this game Japan never declared war on China due to a very low-probability string of events happening, so Taiwan is still part of Japan at this point.

Just wondering: how are things in Europe?

Just wondering: how are things in Europe?

Update is coming in two chapters.

Next chapter will be a short analysis of the war, and the chapter after that will be another "what's going on in Europe" chapter. As a sneak peak for the Europe chapter, I'll leave you guys with this little tidbit: I laughed hard once I saw a certain event fire :)

Status
Not open for further replies.