• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its not just about the apple tablets as there are many other kinds in different forms and styles, so please don't make this discussion about your hate for apple products.

Its not just about the apple tablets as there are many other kinds in different forms and styles, so please don't make this discussion about your hate for apple products.

"Would you buy Europa Universalis if it was on the Ipad?" is the title of the thread, and the OP asked people who wouldn't want it why not.

I personally wouldn't buy it because I waste enough time playing the game as it is. I don't need to take it with me everywhere I go.

"Would you buy Europa Universalis if it was on the Ipad?" is the title of the thread, and the OP asked people who wouldn't want it why not.

I personally wouldn't buy it because I waste enough time playing the game as it is. I don't need to take it with me everywhere I go.

But what if you want to play during your honeymooon!

This is what it said: "Recently me and a friend have been talking about how EU3 would be if it was on the Ipad, or any other tablet." Did you even read it? I used the Ipad as an example, because the Ipad is a home staple, not as many know the HTC Flyer, or Galaxy Tab, or Transformer...

Okay people let's settle down now! I'm going to put this into the perspective it should have been the whole time.

What the OP is asking is if you would take a game designed for desktops(and mid-range+ laptops) and place it into an inferior machine(ie a tablet) when my desktop, which is badass by the way, still causes the game to lag all the time (not terribly though) because that can only be good for you:rolleyes:.

Now why would I call a tablet an inferior machine? Do I hate tablets? No. I just see them for what they are and they are not made to play desktop grade games. They are a niche tool just as EU3 has niche market. A tablet of today is definitely an improvement... over other tablets of the past. A tablet of today is far inferior to a desktop or even a laptop.

I have an analogy that should make this look simpler.

What the Op is asking is if you would want to place an object that barely fits in a big box(let's say it has 1% overflow) and place it in a box that's half the size of the Big box! Now do you see how foolish it is?

Okay people let's settle down now! I'm going to put this into the perspective it should have been the whole time.

What the OP is asking is if you would take a game designed for desktops(and mid-range+ laptops) and place it into an inferior machine(ie a tablet) when my desktop, which is badass by the way, still causes the game to lag all the time (not terribly though) because that can only be good for you:rolleyes:.

Now why would I call a tablet an inferior machine? Do I hate tablets? No. I just see them for what they are and they are not made to play desktop grade games. They are a niche tool just as EU3 has niche market. A tablet of today is definitely an improvement... over other tablets of the past. A tablet of today is far inferior to a desktop or even a laptop.

What the Op is asking is if you would want to place an object that barely fits in a big box(let's say it has 1% overflow) and place it in a box that's half the size of the Big box! Now do you see how foolish it is?

My 3 year old 13,3 inch computer can play the game at max (720p resolution) Which cost 700 dollars, can play it without lag. EU3 isn't a very hardware intensive game. You don't see tablets for what they really are, people saw the Wii as a casual device and nothing more, but hardcore RPG's and other non casual games sold incredibly game. You're very narrow sighted, and very resilient toward the idea. The tablets have a market for these kinds of games, you just don't want to admit it.

My computer never lags when playing EU3. This game isn't hardware intensive. Compare it to Assassin's Creed (one of the later ones, obviously) or another high-end game (Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3, The Witcher 2, etc.) when talking about hardware requirements. I'd have trouble seeing those work on tablets, even excluding having to rework the control scheme. But this really isn't a hard game to run.

Sure, not all tablets could run it well. But some do have pretty good processors, and they should be able to run it well. And tablets (like computers) are only getting faster, more advanced, and better.

My 3 year old 13,3 inch computer can play the game at max (720p resolution)
Really? EU3 does not run at 720p.

EDIT: What kind of 3D benchmark scores do tablets get?

Last edited:
Sir, there is no such spec as "13.3 inch" when it comes to the computer. I think you mean your monitor is 13.3 inches. That is irrelevant in regards to your computer running EU3. EU3: Chronicles requires 2.4 Ghz of Processing Speed. No tablet out there has that king of processing speed. Yes I do see what Tablets are really for. They're for, in regard to gaming, casual gaming. EU3 is not casual gaming. EU3 is a highly niche game that not many people are going to want to play in it's current form. It would have to be simplified and that would anger the gamers in EU3's niche. There is no current market for a game like EU3 on Tablets.

Sir, there is no such spec as "13.3 inch" when it comes to the computer. I think you mean your monitor is 13.3 inches. That is irrelevant in regards to your computer running EU3. EU3: Chronicles requires 2.4 Ghz of Processing Speed. No tablet out there has that king of processing speed. Yes I do see what Tablets are really for. They're for, in regard to gaming, casual gaming. EU3 is not casual gaming. EU3 is a highly niche game that not many people are going to want to play in it's current form. It would have to be simplified and that would anger the gamers in EU3's niche. There is no current market for a game like EU3 on Tablets.

So if there was a tablet that had 2.4 GHz processing speed, it would work. And that probably won't take too long to happen. Especially if Paradox worked on optimizing EU3 so it isn't as processor intensive and/or could use multiple cores.

For the market - there might not be a large market for EU3-type games on tablets. But then, there isn't a large market for PCs either. That doesn't make it useless to make.

Would I buy EU3 on a tablet computer? No.

I have no ambition to own any small computer that is not a calculator (of course, a nifty one that can do polar-Cartesian conversions) or a very simple cell phone.

Could EU3 work on a Tablet computer?

Maybe, but it would be dumbed down so much that it would be much more like EU2. It would be somewhat similar to creating a version of DOOM to work on the Apple IIe. That's an unfair comparison, but apps are designed to make use of existing architecture. Re-working a program to run in a strange architecture is the problem that the Sony Playstation currently has; it is a big headache for developers.

Sense I don't own a tablet the answer is no. When one can buy a much faster and more full purposed laptop for less money I see no need in doing so.

Now the idea of EU3 on a tablet is not a bad one, really when you can virtual a win 7 os on a tablet and still run eu3 with no lag maybe ill be interested. Im curious how and what gestures would be implemented to play the game as a mouse is inherently a clumsy input device.

As for the practicality of a complex game as this "on the go" I just dont see the appeal. And if i cant see the appeal I doubt there are many who would clamor for this game to be made.

I wouldn't. If I'm at home, I can play EU3 on my computer. If I'm anywhere else, I wouldn't have my iPad at all; they're simply too expensive to risk being stolen. Also, I don't think I'd want to look like a nerd playing a game on my iPad in public - I'm very social-conscious. The only reason I'd consider it is for long car rides, but in those cases I sleep.

So if there was a tablet that had 2.4 GHz processing speed, it would work. And that probably won't take too long to happen. Especially if Paradox worked on optimizing EU3 so it isn't as processor intensive and/or could use multiple cores.

For the market - there might not be a large market for EU3-type games on tablets. But then, there isn't a large market for PCs either. That doesn't make it useless to make.

What is this, the 4th time I'm telling you. The Tegra 3 processor is a quad core processor running at 1,4 Ghz. Double the amount you say Europa Universalis 3 needs.

And you sure do toss around niche a lot. Every game is a niche game, everything product in our world is targeted for a specific audience. You haven't even done any research on the tablet markets gaming. You automatically generalize all tablet consumers to be casual gamers. Which simply is untrue. Most of the things you say isn't based on fact, and most of it is just guessing. You don't know how the tablet market would react to this kinds of games, you know why? Because there are none like it out there. Therefore it's impossible to know how the market will react before someone will take that pioneering step.

What is this, the 4th time I'm telling you. The Tegra 3 processor is a quad core processor running at 1,4 Ghz. Double the amount you say Europa Universalis 3 needs.

And you sure do toss around niche a lot. Every game is a niche game, everything product in our world is targeted for a specific audience. You haven't even done any research on the tablet markets gaming. You automatically generalize all tablet consumers to be casual gamers. Which simply is untrue. Most of the things you say isn't based on fact, and most of it is just guessing. You don't know how the tablet market would react to this kinds of games, you know why? Because there are none like it out there. Therefore it's impossible to know how the market will react before someone will take that pioneering step.

Dude, I'm on your side.:)

Most tablets don't have the processing power. And those that do have it in multiple cores, which EU3 isn't designed to utilize. I know there are some ways around it, but for most people Paradox would have to at least partially redesign the game.

Even if there is one tablet that can run it, there's no reason to make a program that only one type of tablet can run. Once better processors in tablets become common (and they will), it'll make more sense for Paradox to consider porting it to a tablet.

My point about niche games is that EU3 is a niche game on the PC, but it's still successful. So it could be successful on a tablet, too. The current climate for tablet games isn't supportive of this kind of game, but that doesn't mean it can't be.

The Tegra 3 processor is a quad core processor running at 1,4 Ghz. Double the amount you say Europa Universalis 3 needs.
Except EU3 currently only uses a single core (although some of the newer versions of other Clausewitz-engine games are finally multi-threaded I believe). Also GHz is not the only measurement of CPU speed; a 2 GHz Pentium M (or a single core of a Core 2 Duo) will outperform a 3 GHz Pentium 4 for example on most software. Finally, what about 3D acceleration (especially programmable shaders)? Regardless of CPU, EU3 needs a GPU to do all of the graphics calculations.

I have been playing this on my Samsung series 7 Tablet,,, Works good so far...
I need to redo the interface though to make it touch screen friendly....

Status
Not open for further replies.