• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Members of the FNT!

Due to my declining health, I am calling for the election of a new Chairman of the FNT.

- FNT Chairman Sérgio Gogołów

EDIT:
((New Char))
Name: Remedio Hakkihäälenin
Born: 1861
Party: Communist
Background: Coming from a family of Finnish origin, Remedio Hakkihäälenin has climbed the ladder of the Chilean Army to become the general which he is today. Remedio used to be a staunch supporter of the FNT, but with the constant defeats of the FNT by Rightist coalitions, his views have been radicalised and pushed farther left.

Last edited:
The 1896 Presidential Election: Eyes on Argentina​

The Presidential Election of 1896 featured a conservative and reactionary resurgence the likes of which had never been seen before in the history of Chile. Everywhere he went, a comparatively young and statesman-like Maximilien de Conti was greeted by throngs of supporters and cheering crowds, while the visibly ailing Sérgio Gogołów struggled to marshal the base of support that had propelled him to La Moneda ten years previously. De Conti's flurry of activity and speeches stood in stark contrast to Gogołów's slump as rumors of poor health began to circulate. These rumors were proved correct shortly after election night, just before the final counting of the electoral ballot in Santiago. In concordance with the traditions of the 3rd Republic, all electors met in Santiago to decide the Presidency - little more than halfway through the ballot, a winded messenger rushed into the hall to inform the convention there assembled that Gogołów had, little more than an hour ago, suffered a massive heart attack and died.

The remainder of the ballot proved little more than a formality, as the already prevailing De Conti easily secured the 153-vote majority he needed. With no valid alternative to the deceased Gogołów other than De Conti, the final count stood at just 76 votes for Gogołów 229 for De Conti, the survivor becoming the President of the Republic by one of the largest electoral margins in Chilean history. The incumbent President De Conti, flush from his victory over Rivera and secure in his status as President elect, decided to press an issue brought forward by his support Senator De Escovedo, and call for a war with Argentina. The Congreso held a snap vote on the bill the following day, the "declaration of intent" that called for the destruction of Argentina passing Rivera's much hated do-nothing Congress by a narrow margin.

De Escovedo was the focus of another controversy, not related to the coming war. Shortly before the election, it had come to light that De Escovedo, in his private correspondence with other members of the government including the President, had advocated the overthrow of the Republic following the election. The source of the accusation was no less than the President himself, and many insisted that De Escovedo be tried for treason and conspiracy to overthrow the Republic. The case eventually found its way to the judiciary, where Freedom of Speech and the confidence of a legislator's personal correspondence were heavily debated. In a shock decision, the Chilean Supreme Court found that the principles of "legislative privilege" and freedom of speech protected De Escovedo's letters, and he could not be tried for treason. Thus, the senator returned to the Congreso under tremendous suspicion and stigma.

The last curiosity of the season was the ever-contentious appointment of the Chief of Staff. After a lengthy and grueling battle, the field narrowed to De Porto, Ferrari, and Rios. De Porto eventually lost enough support to be dropped from the process, after which his and many of Ferrari's supporters defected to Rios' side at the urging of the elect government and Rios' more influential supporters. Ferrari finally conceded the race shortly after the election, leaving General Rios as the next Chief of Staff.

-------------------------

Player Actions Needed:
Maximilien de Conti ((Syriana)) is the President, while Rios ((rudders10)) is the Chief of Staff. I need the military appointments.

Additionally, be it noted that I have decided to change the rules for military appointments. The number of brigades that Chile can field is now so large (300) that an administration wishing to field them all would have to appoint at least 10 generals, which I realize is a lot of people, even though it's what we've already been doing. Since that number is only getting larger and there's really only one more supply limit boost in the future, I've decided that generals can now be appointed for Army Groups of up to two armies (twice the maximum supply limit) if the administration would otherwise have to appoint more than 10 generals.

Note that I've decided this because I realized that the number of generals the administration would have to appoint would in the foreseeable future exceed the number of participants in the thread, and not for any other reason. I am never trying to enable a certain political agenda.

People of Chile,

I bear grave news today. After much wrangling the President and I have been unable to come to agreement on the formation of the military. The President has asked for a leading General to be removed from his command based on nothing more than rumours. He is also looking to replace another loyal General with another right wing political crony. This President has always said he wants to depoliticize the Army. Well he has lied. He wants to make it his own tool for nefarious purposes. I will not tolerate this. The army is for Chile not for a small political elite to use in their vainglorious desire for power.

General Rios
Chief of Staff

I am surprised and confused by the remarks of General Rios.

In the course of our discussions, I proposed to appoint General Ferrari to command of the Army of Patagonia. This was found to be unacceptable, so I accepted that General Ferrari should instead be appointed to the Army of Arica (previously the Army of Northern Chile) and leave the Army of Patagonia as it stands. I thought that this was an acceptable compromise. Indeed, I received no refusal from General Rios. And yet without another word, he immediately proceeds to Congreso and denounces me. I fear ulterior motives are at play. General Rios sought to advance the careers of certain officers within his party. When these were refused, he turned to slander. It is the role of the Chief of Staff to validate the President's appointments, not advance the interests of his allies. If he cannot perform this duty, then I must turn to Congreso.

Here are my appointments and alterations to the Chilean order of battle:

Army of Arica ((18 brigades (10inf 6art 2cav))) - General Ferrari ((King5000))
Army of Patagonia ((18 brigades (10inf 6art 2cav))) – General Hidalgo ((MastahCheef))
Army of the Republic ((20 brigades (12inf 6art 2cav)) – Colonel de Porto ((Zagoroth))
Metropolitan Army ((18 brigades (10inf 2art 2cav)) – Colonel Rivera ((AtomicSoda))
Panama Canal Garrison ((8 brigades (5inf 3art)) - General Adrian ((Lyonessian))
Navy and Marine Force ((6 brigades (5inf 1art)) - Admiral Alvarez ((Gloa))
Capital Guard ((12 brigades (9inf 3art))

I submit these to Congreso for validation.

- President Charles Maximilien de Conti

This is despicable! The Right is seeking to gain absolute power for itself, and the recent unveiling of information by Mr. Rios simply proves it. I fear that the Reactionaries have intentions which are not for the best of Chile.

In the course of our discussions, I proposed to appoint General Ferrari to command of the Army of Patagonia. This was found to be unacceptable, so I accepted that General Ferrari should instead be appointed to the Army of Arica (previously the Army of Northern Chile). I thought that this was an acceptable compromise. And yet without a word of response, General Rios immediately proceeds to Congreso and denounces me.

Army of Patagonia ((18 brigades (10inf 6art 2cav))) – General Hidalgo ((MastahCheef))
Army of the Republic ((20 brigades (12inf 6art 2cav)) – Colonel de Porto ((Zagoroth))
Metropolitan Army ((18 brigades (10inf 2art 2cav)) – Colonel Rivera ((AtomicSoda))

I submit it to Congreso for validation.

It is obvious why Rios did not feel that set-up to be satisfactory. It is filled with Reactionary cronies. The only one there which I believe is trustworthy is Admiral Alvarez.

- General Remedio Hakkihäälenin

Last edited:
I do believe a disagreement between the CoS and the President over military appointment means a Constitutional Crisis. Who does have right in such a situation? I suggest asking the Supreme Court (TH) for Constitutional Advice.

In the course of our discussions, I proposed to appoint General Ferrari to command of the Army of Patagonia. This was found to be unacceptable, so I accepted that General Ferrari should instead be appointed to the Army of Arica (previously the Army of Northern Chile). I thought that this was an acceptable compromise. And yet without a word of response, General Rios immediately proceeds to Congreso and denounces me.

I submit it to Congreso for validation.

You have no authority Senor to make this pronouncement. Your compromises were false, you made no room for General Gonzalez, a capable General who has served this country well just so you can stack your army with reactioanaries. You have been plotting for some time on this, I should know. I was involved in the planning of this while secretly reporting back to our sadly deceased Chairman Gogolow. We may be outnumbered but we shall be heard.

General Rios
Chief of Staff

Democracy has been seen today, friends. I applaud President de Conti on seeing this. The Chilean people have elected to have a conservative Government shepherd them, and de Conti has delivered. General Rios would be wise to analyze his position as opposed to that of the President. It is the duty and privilege assigned to the office to choose leaders. Now, we must appoint Generals who support our current war effort.

Now is not the time for sedition or anti-Government sentiment. This is a time of conflict, and must be treated and recognized as such. So, I offer my unwavering support for both the military and our President. We must turn a new page, as many good men have recently been acquitted of wrongdoing.

I would also remind President de Conti in all good faith that the Army of the Republic must be re-assigned. As you are President, sir, it is unreasonable to expect you to lead an invasion force. Taking into account the recent passage of our act of war against the illegitimate Argentine Government, this matter must be settled with all due haste.

We are entering a new chapter, and the new President and the Congreso will be baptized by the fire of a just and necessary war. However, we have already proved ourselves to be better men than the "do-nothing" Congreso of Rivera's presidency. Men like myself introduced many bills, all voted down by Rivera and his cronies, who were moderate to the point of liberalism.

So, I would like to re-introduce my bill of years past:

The National Industry Encouragement Act:

-Taxes lowered on every strata by 5% to increase buying power;

-An import tariff of 2% to increase local industry by making Chilean goods 5% cheaper with the tax cuts, while still making international products 3% more affordable than they were.

I encourage those who previously questioned my bill to analyze the new, slightly weakened tariff. We must usher in economic growth, and this is the way to do it!

Senator Alejandro Ruiz de Escovedo

I must agree with the CoS. The law says the President and the CoS must make their nominations together. This move by the president is illegal. I plea to you all to allow the Supreme Court find a Constitutional solution.

[lots of text here.]

Senator Alejandro Ruiz de Escovedo

And the Chilean people should have the comfort of knowing that democracy shall be retained. With all the Reactionaries stuffed into the Army as proposed by the new President, the people do not have that comfort. Reactionaries are natural enemies of democracy and the rights of man.

No authority, General? I am the elected President of the Republic. If I do not have the authority to speak, then who in this nation does?

You betray yourself, General Rios, in your words. You were never concerned about General Hidalgo; what you wanted was your fellow officers of the FNT to take command. You sought to install your political allies in positions of power; when you could not achieve this, you broke off negotiations. I have appointed the most capable officers in Chile - General Ferrari and Colonel de Porto - to support General Hidalgo in the war against Argentina. These men were both poised to be Chief of Staff. Their ability is without reproach. Yet you slander them as reactionaries simply because I did not appoint your choices, instead.

This is shameful conduct, General Rios. I voted for you in this election in the belief that you were unfettered by party ties and willing to place the needs of the army above the needs of your party. Yet you have thrown the former into turmoil for the sake of the latter.

At least FNT Generals would make the people able to feel comfortable at night, despite how much of a bunch of inactive and moderate pacifists they are. Non-violence in the fight against the Reactionaries is overrated.

Last edited:
And yet two of your appointments are completly unknowm. You replace an experienced General on no grounds and then seek to add two insignificant soldiers with no experience but who have the same ideology as you. You are a sham and you know it.

You also accused a General of being complicit in the escovedo plot and then turn around and say he is ok. This is simply a case of you would rather have an untrustworthy General of your party than a loyal genral from the left.

Pacifism and inactivity are hardly the qualities by which a war is won.

I vowed to restore meritocracy to the army, and I have done so. Three great generals - Ferrari, de Porto and Hidalgo - stand poised against Argentina. These are military men, with a wealth of experience on the field. They have all the necessary qualities to ensure a swift and decisive campaign. They have all served our nation loyally in the past, and shall do so now in the present.

Decry them as 'reactionaries' if you so wish. I have long since learned that this is a label that people universally apply to anyone but their followers.

Pacifism and inactivity are hardly the qualities by which a war is won.

I vowed to restore meritocracy to the army, and I have done so. Three great generals - Ferrari, de Porto and Hidalgo - stand poised against Argentina. These are military men, with a wealth of experience on the field. They have all the necessary qualities to ensure a swift and decisive campaign. They have all served our nation loyally in the past, and shall do so now in the present.

Decry them as 'reactionaries' if you so wish. I have long since learned that this is a label that people universally apply to anyone but their followers.

I doubt that military men are inactive pacifists. The FNT as a whole are that, but I doubt that professional military men would be since they are in the army. Also, I do not recall Ferrari or de Porto being skilled generals who have been appointed to armies in the past. I only recall the name Hidalgo, but he is an untrustworthy supporter of the Right.

Also, meritocracy? More like ideolocracy! All of those appointed generals are from the Right, with a respectable part being admitted Reactionaries!

General Ferrari was a military man before he became Minister of Defence. Colonel de Porto was a front-running candidate for Chief of Staff. Both are unequivocally qualified for military command. You may declare General Hidalgo an "untrustworthy supporter of the Right", but from your narrow point of view, any man who is not a Marxista must be an unreliable reactionary or a disloyal despot.

It is easy to declare that my appointments are to the Right when you set your standards so far to the Left.

General Ferrari was a military man before he became Minister of Defence. Colonel de Porto was a front-running candidate for Chief of Staff. Both are unequivocally qualified for military command. You may declare General Hidalgo an "untrustworthy supporter of the Right", but from your narrow point of view, any man who is not a Marxista must be an unreliable reactionary or a disloyal despot.

It is easy to declare that my appointments are to the Right when you set your standards so far to the Left.

You making snide insinuations about me does not make them correct. I do believe that Admiral Alvarez can be trusted, and is he from the Left? No.

What insinuations? The evidence is all before us. You have condemned a list of the greatest generals of the Republic as a monolithic mass of reactionaries. Whether they be Republicano or Patriota, liberal or conservador, moderate or orthodox, you tar them all with the same treasonous brush.

You do not agitate for meritocracy, Senor Hakkihäälenin. Rather, you agitate for an imbalance that favours your own party.

What insinuations? The evidence is all before us. You have condemned a list of the greatest generals of the Republic as a monolithic mass of reactionaries. Whether they be Republicano or Patriota, liberal or conservador, moderate or orthodox, you tar them all with the same treasonous brush.

You do not agitate for meritocracy, Senor Hakkihäälenin. Rather, you agitate for an imbalance that favours your own party.

That is solely what you want the Chilean people to think. For now, I will wait passing any more judgement as I do not have to. They will prove whether they are Reactionaries or not regardless.

I agitate for a meritocracy that not only strives to have good generals but also generals capable of respecting Chile as is and not indulge in their own fantasies and delusions of grandeur. You on the other hand is in favour of an ideolocracy, but you hide it behind a facade of being meritocratic.

Also, I do not agitate for political imbalance, but political balance. Your proposal is undeniably biased towards Rightists. Must I remind you that the only ones (as in large factions such as parties, not solely sole individuals) never having planned nor executed an authoritarian coup being on the side of the Left?

This is a nothing but a reactionary coup! The CoS is as elected as the president. Still the new government declare that they alone has the right to name the generals. That is not true. General Rios is as elected by the Chilean people as de Conti!