• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

oberstbrooksy

Lt. General
68 Badges
Jul 20, 2008
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Victoria 2
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 -  Back to Hell
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Surviving Mars
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
Surely to establish a protectorate over a state would lead them to become a satellite state instead of a colony...

I personally think there should be a War goal ''Establish a protectorate'' should turn uncivs into satellite states and maybe a new war goal to turn them into colonial provinces.

Surely to establish a protectorate over a state would lead them to become a satellite state instead of a colony...

I personally think there should be a War goal ''Establish a protectorate'' should turn uncivs into satellite states and maybe a new war goal to turn them into colonial provinces.

you realize that satellite states in this game basically mean broken diplomatic ability right? They are forcibly allied to their master and... that's all you get. They aren't even permanetly apart of your sphere. and if they end up in your enemies sphere just before war they wont even join you in the conflict. they stay neutral. Satellites are worthless unfortunately... Unless you're like me who likes to see pretty borders ^_^

The wargoal name should be changed imo, and then establish protectorate should be something about creating a satellite out of an unciv. Satellites should then be fixed so that they can't be sphered by other powers.

I can see your point but personally I like it. Satalites are pretty much useless, take Wachallia and Moldovia for example. They don't really contribute much to you except making the Turkish-Russian border smaller. Like Russia for example you could go on a rampage and you would be enclosed from the world by satalittes. But even if they don't join the sphere leader get MA in their provinces.
Note for Life: RATHER ANNEX THEN PUPPET. (its the other way around in hoi3)

It's a bit unfortunate. Personally I find satellites to be useful for borders and control, but this is only partially useful . There could certainly be a LOT more done with the satellite bit, but the one thing that's really bothersome that they don't have, is permanent inclusion in SoI. Wonder if that's moddable?

(Though making satellites of most of the Austrian turf after annexing Austria as Germany, helps with the literacy quite a lot.)

I can see your point but personally I like it. Satalites are pretty much useless, take Wachallia and Moldovia for example. They don't really contribute much to you except making the Turkish-Russian border smaller. Like Russia for example you could go on a rampage and you would be enclosed from the world by satalittes. But even if they don't join the sphere leader get MA in their provinces.
Note for Life: RATHER ANNEX THEN PUPPET. (its the other way around in hoi3)

Well I like the safe market increase also the ally that will always answer the call and never white peace or add stupid wargoals.

but the one thing that's really bothersome that they don't have, is permanent inclusion in SoI.

In one game I had Spain in my SOI and also 100 points of influence with them. Before that point, France tried pretty hard to remove them from my sphere, but afterwards the AI completely gave it up. It might be conincidental, but maybe it always works or at least most of the time.

It's a bit unfortunate. Personally I find satellites to be useful for borders and control, but this is only partially useful . There could certainly be a LOT more done with the satellite bit, but the one thing that's really bothersome that they don't have, is permanent inclusion in SoI. Wonder if that's moddable?

(Though making satellites of most of the Austrian turf after annexing Austria as Germany, helps with the literacy quite a lot.)

It probably works this way so German Unification can happen. Hannover starts as a satellite of GB and Holstein is a satellite of Denmark. Denmark isn't much trouble at all but fighting GB to unify Germany would be both a pain and ahistorical.

In one game I had Spain in my SOI and also 100 points of influence with them. Before that point, France tried pretty hard to remove them from my sphere, but afterwards the AI completely gave it up. It might be conincidental, but maybe it always works or at least most of the time.

Yes, that's true. But my point was that you shouldn't HAVE to expend influence on a SATELLITE. It's like a semi-autonomous part of your nation, so they should be as close in trade as they are in war.

It probably works this way so German Unification can happen. Hannover starts as a satellite of GB and Holstein is a satellite of Denmark. Denmark isn't much trouble at all but fighting GB to unify Germany would be both a pain and ahistorical.

Except that Hannover is removed from GB with the ascent of Queen Victoria, and Schleswig could easily be freed with a release puppet wargoal (if the AI used those that is).

Do you think that satellites should always be part of their masters sphere

No, I think there should be a way for another country to remove a satellite state from being one, until this event however it should remain with in its sphere.

I am not too sure how it could be worked out for non GP states that have sats.

There is! It's the 'release satellite' wargoal.

I was meaning in a more diplomatic sense rather than waging war.

Maybe a way to increase revolution or a reactionary party so that when it gets elected it declares full independence.

I was meaning in a more diplomatic sense rather than waging war.

Maybe a way to increase revolution or a reactionary party so that when it gets elected it declares full independence.

Since satellites declare independence after a successful revolution, just the ability to forment such would do the trick.

Since satellites declare independence after a successful revolution, just the ability to forment such would do the trick.

or that, the ability to ''support/fund/arm'' rebels in this game would be a massive boost. Also rthe introduction of ''regional'' and ''nationalist'' parties as well.

Yes, that's true. But my point was that you shouldn't HAVE to expend influence on a SATELLITE. It's like a semi-autonomous part of your nation, so they should be as close in trade as they are in war.

Except that Hannover is removed from GB with the ascent of Queen Victoria, and Schleswig could easily be freed with a release puppet wargoal (if the AI used those that is).

I've had games where Hannover stayed as satellite of GB.

No real good honestly. At best, all satellites serve to do is act as a buffer state between you and whomever hates your guts, and occasionally provide a few troops. Though, you really have to be careful in your choice of satellites. I formed the SGF early on in my Austria game, and ended up having it become a great power, requiring me to spend infamy (which could've been spent on Prussia instead) cutting it down to size to get it out of the GP spot.

Honestly, you're better off simply getting other nations to release countries. Less infamy, more troops, and somebody to trade with you, and they also will actually build an army instead of simply sitting around be a piece of different colored useless land all game.