• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Seriously? Have you played the last patch? There is no way that you can say say that it's unplayable and even though fun is a subjective issue, I'm having a blast sweating AI fleets like there is no tomorrow.

Warder

With all due respect mr. Warder but far from everyone consider swatting enemy fleets and no challenge as fun. An no, MP is not an option for everyone either... ;)

For the game to honestly be called complete it has to have an AI that is at least capable of exploiting all of the games feature to some degree and pose a reasonable threat to a players empire at normal setting. You could then allways give the AI some benefit in production/science by increasing the difficulty, but that is entirely different.

Then, there is all sort of MINOR problems... there are allot of MINOR bugs and broken features... all these MINOR thing will break the illusion of readiness for many people. Sluggish GUI and turn times still persists, even though it has become much better in the last patches it is still there.

I like, no... I love this game... but I'm not that delusional that I would actually tell someone to buy it without explaining all the bugs, sluggishness, incompleteness and unchallenging AI... I would just look like a fool for doing so. But I would tell them about Kerberos excellent support and dedication to get it patched up and the progress made so far.

If someone already owns the game then I would (and I have) recommend to start test the game again, but with some reservation for the same reasons above. But, I would do it with an added optimism and that you can now finally start learning this fantastic to be game (all major features added). :)

And the research screen shows only 1 field and requires us (in worst case) to click 9 times to find the research item we want and it still does not tell us properly WHAT RESEARCHING THAT EVEN DOES. Whoever designed that should never again touch a computer. The Research screen is actually the most broken GUI element in SOTS2. Hah. It is completely useless, overcomplicated (as in, clickfest) and pointless (because it makes it harder to use, not easier).

Try to maintain hundred or so stations, then come back and apologize to research GUI.

With all due respect mr. Warder...

Snip

No need to call me mr.Warder, your excellency will suffice... :p

Seriously though, you do realize that you are quating a reply from four months ago, don't you?
I sand by what I said then, I had a lot of fun swatting AI fleets from the sky back when the AI was a genocidical maniac that only cared about killing you.

The current care bear AI is a bit annoying, especially since it only start fielding threatening fleets after it researched the best drive techs from what I'm seeing.

That being said, luckily for me, I don't experience horrible UI lags or horribly long turn times either on my current 3 players game or my previous 5 players game. I do have one extremely annoying CTD that happen every time I send a diplomatic message to an AI right after sending a diplomatic message to an indie, other than that I don't experience any noticeable profermance issues.

I do wish though that the AI and the diplomacy screens will get their final polish soon (and I wish I would have encounter a native independent race all ready)

Warder

Well you don't experience horrible UI lags because what is horrible is subjective. You do however experience GUI lag to some extent. And some people have a lot less "mental resistance" to that than you. Turn times are fine by the way for me (as in, they don't make me angry) however the GUI lag is annoying enough for me to not even play the game.

Try to maintain hundred or so stations, then come back and apologize to research GUI.

Ok, fair point. For me that screen becomes entirely unusable after station 10. Which is why I never built more than 9 stations ;p
I guess the GUI functionality is generally broken. It's just that the research screen particularly got a lot worse from SOTS1 to SOTS2. Station management by itself is pretty weird anyhow. It's good stations are now in the fleet list.. sadly they aren't displayed in a PROPER list with proper management options anywhere.

You failed to understand me, in the current patch, I don't experience horrible UI lags period, as in no lag what so ever except a 1 second lag when entering research screen. missions, choosing planets, choosing fleets, the all shebang run smoothly for me.

That could change with the next patch though...

Warder

Just tried to be funny on your expense Warder... ;)

One problem I have found with the GUI lag right now seem connected with opening the station menu. There seem to be some memory leek there, every time you open the station menu it adds to your memory allocation on the "mars.exe". It also subsequently adds to GUI lag, restarting the game seem to fix it.
So, people that regularly open and close the station menu seem to get more GUI lag than people that don't open it so often. Restarting the game will fix this though.

My GUI and turn times are quite fast now, even at turn 200 on a five player map. At least fast enough that I think it is becoming playable now.

There certainly still are problems and with each and every patch there seem to be additional bugs, sometimes game breaking bugs. Most are fixed a day or two later, so not a biggie for me. That said, others might very well view this as broken and unplayable. Having to study forums just to understand what you can and can't do, having the game playable one day and the next it's not. Having game-play changed from one day to the next without any explanation is also a major concern.

The average gamer don't really spend hours in forums trying to figure things out, this is why I caution anyone from buying this game at the moment, I inform them about the state so they at least know what they get themselves into.

Last edited:
You failed to understand me, in the current patch, I don't experience horrible UI lags period, as in no lag what so ever except a 1 second lag when entering research screen. missions, choosing planets, choosing fleets, the all shebang run smoothly for me.

That could change with the next patch though...

Warder

Fair enough, given that last tested this game was before the 8th maybe the last patch fixed something I am not aware. But I highly doubt you do not experience at least a short freeze while it loads the data it wants to display on a colony (when you click on one). That is what i call lag, you would probably call it smooth. A quick test of the very last patch showed that freeze to be still there. And I am not sure what it is, but it needs to go away. Nothing in the GUI should EVER load more than once in a game session. I can understand a freeze or lag/load at the start of the game, but these issues happen continuously. And that is what I mean with GUI lag.

It has become much better since you last tried the game, believe me and I'm actually pretty critical at GUI lag. The lag where you have active fleets still persist and are slightly annoying.

When reading up on Kerberos own forum they have stated that this bug will get ironed out and they also said that it somehow is difficult to get rid of without introducing other problems... so they are well aware of the complaints about it and hopefully they deal with it soon.

No worries people, Endless Space will arrive really soon.
Paradox should refund the money to those who already bought their SotS II c**p, erm game, so those money can be used to buy Endless Space. Which, even in Alpha, is indeed very much playable.
Paradox is going down (like it or not devs)

Paradox should refund the money to those who already bought their SotS II c**p, erm game, so those money can be used to buy Endless Space. Which, even in Alpha, is indeed very much playable.
This post really is useless.
Sure, Endless Space is a nice game, but what has this got to do with anything? Both games have rather different approaches to the space 4x genre and both are worthwhile. ES has the superior GUI though. :p

why is it useless?
i hope it is going to be the opposite and teach those paradox guys to refrain from doing such big mistakes in the future and also maybe see it as a "wake-up call".
personally i would like that nobody will buy their sots 2 simply because if they don't lose money, they don't learn anything. and for that just look at their other (marketing) mistakes, more and more often lately. this thought of mine will, of course, not materialize.
still, i do have to say that i respect them for assuming this particular (big) mistake, unlike others. for this, thumbs up :).
for the rest.......

Bah, Kerberos' inability to produce even a decent game just got MMtG cancelled, since Paradox logically raised their standards after this horrendous disaster.

I know that Magna Mundi probably would have been a bad game at release, but I'd much rather it be the game that changed policy than this game...

Last edited:
I had a whole list of complaints and suggestions, but what it basically comes down to is this:

• Information is often presented in an unhelpful fashion. For example, the budget pie chart has only two obviously color-coded sections (savings and research), and the savings:research ration is visible pretty much everywhere (empire screen, main screen, research screen). The confusing ones aren't labeled at all. Likewise, the trade range bubble things in the trade view look neat, but they run into each other and it's very hard to tell what an individual system's trade range actually is.
  • Likewise, many things lack tooltips that would give a player some idea what they are. There are mysterious buttons that don't seem to do anything, it's unclear what exactly the consequences are of opening or closing a system are, etc.. The "tutorial notes" are not an adequate substitute, and are unavailable on any floating window (the managers,
  • Everything appears to happen on the UI thread, so the program appears to hang during the awkwardly long load times that coincide with turn ends or screen mode changes.
  • When there is information, it's often in a cumbersome and hard-to-sort format (station manager, admiral manager, colony summary). The colony summary offers less functionality than the star map, no advantage in sorting (you have to select by system first), and yet is the only place I've found to apply hardened structures. Like the Trade mapmode, it's an entire display mechanic that seems to exist only to support a single UI element that could be easily integrated elsewhere (i.e. add OPEN/CLOSE SYSTEM and APPLY HARDENED STRUCTURES to the system right-click menu, and hide unavailable options).
  • A lot of unnecessary clicks. Anything involving fleet management usually requires clicking open a bunch of menus. A more specific micro-example is selection "place station" when constructing a new station: the only action you can perform is to select the station slot to place it in, but first you have to take the totally redundant step of moving the cursor to the bottom-right and clicking on the station to place. It's a little thing, but surprisingly aggravating.

~$40 preorder and never was able to play the game. Was thinking about trying now, but with what i've read it still seems premature to give it a chance. Plus the fact that people bought this game for 8$ or 14$ really irks me.
I am disappoint.
Simply fraud.

The game is rapidly improving and I'm still looking forward to it's all clear state. hoping the UI will get a good overhaul before that.

It's a pity that one ignorant staff member can ruin ones good impression of a company and give a bad aftertaste to the game.

I have just started playing after giving it a few months after the initial reviews, and while I can see there are still a few rough edges, the game is more than playable.

I would suggest anyone who thinks it is not playable is viewing the game through biased eye's, having put up with its early problems and subsequent patches, perhaps you are just too peed off and focused on the things that irk you and need to give it a break for a while.

I am not new to this genre, far from it, I have been gaming for 30 years now, since the days of the ZX80, and have played most if not all 4x games along the way. Yet I have spent hours glued to my PC since buying Sots2, something I have not done in very long time, having also recently purchased Endless space, Sots 2 has far greater depth and is the title likely to keep me siting at the PC for many more hours to come. The last 4x to hold my attention like this was Imperium Galactica 2, while I enjoyed many others since, none have kept me from grabbing food or drink for the sake of one more turn, or let me just do this first.

Given how much fun I am having so far, I can only imagine how much more involving it will be when we see the improvements and additions we are told are coming and I can't wait.

If you are not having fun with the game in its current state, perhaps you should grab another title for a while, or just step away from all 4x games for a spell, then return in a couple of months when we have had a few more patches and time has taken care of all the negatives you are so focused on right now.

To address a couple of Pandadan's comments, I figured out in twenty minutes a closed system prevents other races settling, makes it harder for other races to spy on you and also limits the trade in the sector and prevents alien scientists coming to your station. Nor do you have to manually place a space station, just select the fleet and station type and press confirm and exit and the ai will place it for you.

The rest of your comments are frankly nitpicking, I could if I wish point to missing functionality and information in every 4x I have ever played. The trade system is still being developed, hitting trade in the main UI is just the first stage in expanding the players trade management options, even on its own I have found it useful for manually adjusting each planet and system, if I need to up ship production in a specific sector or ramp up trade to cover the costs of a new fleet.

Last edited:
I have just started playing after giving it a few months after the initial reviews, and while I can see there are still a few rough edges, the game is more than playable.

I would suggest anyone who thinks it is not playable is viewing the game through biased eye's, having put up with its early problems and subsequent patches, perhaps you are just too peed off and focused on the things that irk you and need to give it a break for a while.

I am not new to this genre, far from it, I have been gaming for 30 years now, since the days of the ZX80, and have played most if not all 4x games along the way. Yet I have spent hours glued to my PC since buying Sots2, something I have not done in very long time, having also recently purchased Endless space, Sots 2 has far greater depth and is the title likely to keep me siting at the PC for many more hours to come. The last 4x to hold my attention like this was Imperium Galactica 2, while I enjoyed many others since, none have kept me from grabbing food or drink for the sake of one more turn, or let me just do this first.

Given how much fun I am having so far, I can only imagine how much more involving it will be when we see the improvements and additions we are told are coming and I can't wait.

If you are not having fun with the game in its current state, perhaps you should grab another title for a while, or just step away from all 4x games for a spell, then return in a couple of months when we have had a few more patches and time has taken care of all the negatives you are so focused on right now.

To address a couple of Pandadan's comments, I figured out in twenty minutes a closed system prevents other races settling, makes it harder for other races to spy on you and also limits the trade in the sector and prevents alien scientists coming to your station. Nor do you have to manually place a space station, just select the fleet and station type and press confirm and exit and the ai will place it for you.

The rest of your comments are frankly nitpicking, I could if I wish point to missing functionality and information in every 4x I have ever played. The trade system is still being developed, hitting trade in the main UI is just the first stage in expanding the players trade management options, even on its own I have found it useful for manually adjusting each planet and system, if I need to up ship production in a specific sector or ramp up trade to cover the costs of a new fleet.

Nicely put, glad you are enjoying your new obsession. ;)

You can't be serious. What about all their other games that are huge successes? EU3, VK2, HOI3, CK2(this is a massive success IMO)

They aren't going anywhere as a studio, and it's going to take more than one botched game to bring them down. They have openly stated how embarrassing this release was for them. You don't come out and say that unless you care. You won't hear EA saying that kind of stuff. We can say unbiasedly that this game went wrong and it has some large flaws. We can also criticize paradox for releasing it, but to say they are going to fail because of one game is a bit of a leap.

As long as paradox continues to listen to it's customer base it will have my money. I can't think of another major studio that communicates with customers as well as these guys do.