• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I am not sure this is WAD or not : My colonies, when they become cities, have a Danish Core, not scandinavian...

Any existing colonies when you form one of the cultural unions will act this way, complete with nationalism RR. For even more fun, if you are settling horde lands you will lose all in-progress settlements.

I kind of doubt it's supposed to work that way but it does.

This flag is damn sexy! Is it a flag you made on your own is there any background on it? Especially regarding the saltire.

I just googled "unified Scandinavian flag" one day, fully expecting somebody to have made one at one point. Lo and behold, some lad on Deviant Art made this one after seeing the one from Victoria, coincidentally. I wish I could say I made it myself but all credit goes to http://rarayn.deviantart.com/

-hmm wasn't there something about Denmark and Norway being rather unified up until lord Nelson spoiled it? 1801..http://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slaget_på_Reden (sorry it's på Danish.. Oh then let me, Hansi! :D ) Tvillingeriget, The Twinned Kingdom, it was called..at least after Sweden left..But who am I telling this ;).. I bet most of you know more about the subject than I anyway :(

Outside of the Kalmar Union (which the SCA flag represents and is the state of the countries at game start) there was the Danish-Norwegian union (dissolved 1814 at the treaty of Kiel) which led to a Swedish-Norwegian union that ended in 1905.

I see nothing in the translated wiki page you provided to make me think otherwise - it's just a synopsis on the Battle of Copenhagen.

You are right somehow but otherwise it is hard to find a real suitable name which is satisfying for all. In case of Denmark Kalmar Union makes sense but not if Norway or Sweden would form it.

Swedish/Norweign version: "The Danes had previously been the senior partners of the Kalmar Union that unified the north. Now that we are in control of Scandinavia, we must seize the opportunity to reform this union under our rule."

Outside of the Kalmar Union (which the SCA flag represents and is the state of the countries at game start) there was the Danish-Norwegian union (dissolved 1814 at the treaty of Kiel) which led to a Swedish-Norwegian union that ended in 1905.

I see nothing in the translated wiki page you provided to make me think otherwise - it's just a synopsis on the Battle of Copenhagen.

Yes. But the Battle of Copenhagen (actually it was the 2.nd battle that did it-my bad..) had the result that Denmark lost most of it's fleet, meaning we couldn't protect Norway anymore, and due to the British Blockade the Norwegians starved - Hence the agreement of 1814, whereby Sweden got Norway..

Yes. But the Battle of Copenhagen (actually it was the 2.nd battle that did it-my bad..) had the result that Denmark lost most of it's fleet, meaning we couldn't protect Norway anymore, and due to the British Blockade the Norwegians starved - Hence the agreement of 1814, whereby Sweden got Norway..
Shouldn't have sacked Stockholm.

I just wanted to say that I got the "The Julekalender"-reference.

Also, Norway was given to Sweden as of the congress of Vienna, but the Danish crown prince thought it was a better idea to let Norway become independent - A motion supported by the Danish government. It was even solidified in the treaty of Kiel - But the Swedes got pissed, and invaded Norway on their own accord.
Norway was allowed to keep most of their constitution, though - So the thirst for independence survived.

The problem with the current Scandinavia flag is the same as the problem that people have with the iberia flag, that flag only makes sence for someone playing Castille or Aragon, for Navarra or Portugal that flag is just wrong and means nothing, the dev team should work on fiding these culture union flags in order to really make everyone accept the flag, and not just adopt the flag of who ever was close to archive that union, that why ingame the flag used for scandinavia is the kalmar union one, and the flag used for iberia is the spanish royal flag. And I'm sure theres more exemples out there in the game.

What efectivly everyone should do is something like this:
525px-Flags_of_the_Union_Jack.svg.png

Its to me the best exemple of flag combinations

Attachments

• 525px-Flags_of_the_Union_Jack.svg.png
    525px-Flags_of_the_Union_Jack.svg.png
    9,2 KB · Views: 25
You'd need to create a new tag for each version of the country

In miscmods for example, there is this case with Great Britain...it has a different tag and flag depending on if English, Scottish, or Welsh form the nation.

I think karhun is doing this with France now too...if the South forms France, its called Occitainia, with a different flag.

Vanilla, Rev France is a different color, and tag from normal France. Perhaps the laziest, but most effort-ful way, but what else can do? I doubt they're making another expansion.

Unfortunately, EU3 doesn't have the Vic2 ability to change flags depending on circumstances/government

I just rename the file SWE.tga to sca.tga in the flags folder. The three crowns flag simply looks awesome and one could exploit the ambiguity regarding its origins to have the three crowns represent Sweden, Denmark, and Norway.

Had Scandinavia been successfully united early in the games timeframe, and then stayed that way, what would it eventually have been called? Kalmar Union doesn't sound right for a fully integrated state, while Scandinavia just sounds wrong. Would it have been called something like the United Kingdom of Denmark, Norway, and Sweden, and then just abbreviated like the British UK? Would the colloquial names of both then have to be differentiated?

Or would the unifier just keep their old name, and today all Scandinavians would be known by the name of the unifying people, and use of, say, Norwegian would be similar to the use of Scanian today?

Well, i think best scandinavian flag is swedish flag. It look so royal... Best flag thou, is Polish, because the eagles are Quite awesome, and Majestic. Unless they got two heads... two headed eagles just look idiotic. And them being black, make me consider them EVIL. That is why i don't like HRE, Byzantium(historical - the one they got in game is nice thou) and Russian flags.

Comparing to those, scandinavian flag is nice. Not like it is nice, but it is nice compared to those... well at least russian color on the map is nice, so we don't have to look at the flag all the time. And in case of scandinavia... well... this color just hurts my eyes...

Well but i also like the english and french flags. Normandy flag with three griffins(?am i right?) is nice, plus the awesome french thre crowns... But burgundy flag is just... well... not like it is ugly... it is just bad taste imho. And this beet color... i don't like it either... i like english light red, but the burgundian dark red is annoying.

Well about spanish flag - it is nice, same with its color, so spain is fine.

Anyway only one more flag annoys me... italian one. Eagle is nice, but the light green color is like diesease, aspecialy combined with its map color. But it is not so bad as other, but slightly annoying. I would rather want to keep just being venice, instead of forming italy, if there would be no bonuses for it.

The Polish flag was meh. It looked like the box cover of some candy bar from the 80's. The HRE flag looks quite majestic though, with the yellow and black.

White eagle is more majestic than some two headed eagle... it is just unnatural, and lol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Banner_of_the_Holy_Roman_Emperor_with_haloes_(1400-1806).svg
http://pl.wikipedia.org/w/index.php...id_de_Negker.svg&filetimestamp=20110226025237
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Herb_Polski.svg

Just compare them... those HRE = lol
And polish = majestic

It is not cause i am pole. Those two headed eagles are just looking wrong.

Last edited:
White eagle is more majestic than some two headed eagle... it is just unnatural, and lol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Banner_of_the_Holy_Roman_Emperor_with_haloes_(1400-1806).svg
http://pl.wikipedia.org/w/index.php...id_de_Negker.svg&filetimestamp=20110226025237
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Herb_Polski.svg

Just compare them... those HRE = lol
And polish = majestic

It is not cause i am pole. Those two headed eagles are just looking wrong.
Eagles all look boring, unless it's some kind of awesome variant like the Napoleonic or Egyptian ones. Besides, the Polish red and white colour scheme looks kind of washed out. It would be better with a darker red, or perhaps more of it.