• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Hasn't been this quiet in a while))

The Second World War
1941: Turning the Tide

The election of 1941 proved to be one of the most decisive in American history, as McCahill’s record, an increasing support for intervention among the people, and the traditional distrust of switching presidents in wartime saw the President gain 529 Electoral Votes and three quarters of the popular vote. For Michael Sullivan and the Progressive Party, the election proved as terrible as it was great for the President, with the Liberal Party steamrolling Progressive House and Senate candidates in former Federal strongholds and making inroads to Progressive safe havens like Illinois and Michigan [1]. The Republican Party meanwhile, regained a tenuous position of plurality in Congress, with 209 seats in the House to the Liberals’ 200 and a 39-seat tie with the President’s new party in the Senate.

election1941.jpg

1. Results for the election of 1941.​

As he had promised before the election, McCahill extended the unity government, appointing Republican candidate William Gallatin as his Vice-Presidential nominee, quickly approved by the electors. In Congress however, Liberal Party members became President Pro Tempore and Speaker of the House with little opposition from Republicans, who did not wish to jeopardize their chances in the mid-term elections by causing a rift in the unity government of a president elected by a landslide like 1941. McCahill thus had the most reliable absolute majority of any president since Harrison, and intended to use it.
Amidst a flurry of smaller pieces of legislation expanding military R&D, streamlining and creating minimum standards for other government programs and expanding the NPWA and NIRA, the President in the “Second Hundred Days” proposed the last major acts of the great overhaul of the American economy caused by the continuous crisis since 1929. The first was the Federal Banking Act of 1941, which finally enacted a measure that had been called for since the initial negotiations around the BSSA in 1929; the separation of commercial and investment banking. Coupled with the creation of mandatory capital buffers, the bill sailed through Congress [2].
The second was the complete overhaul of the US Tax Code, which had seen revisions almost exclusively cutting taxation and government revenue since the inauguration of Joseph Jarvis in 1917. The US Tax Code of 1941 recreated progressive taxation, and divided the three tax brackets of the previous code into nine, whose tax rates ranged from 5% to 20%. In a measure to gain Republican support, it also encoded NIRA tax breaks into the tax code officially. The largest tax reform in American history, USTC41 would take effect upon the expiration of the Ryan Cuts on July 4th 1947.

brazillanding.jpg

2. The 3rd Infantry Division lands at Peruibe, April 1st 1941.
The legislative victories of 1941 however, were secondary to the great NATO battlefield victories achieved in the Southern Hemisphere. First and foremost of which was the breaking of the weakest link in the Axis chain; Brazil. The Brazilian Army had already been experiencing major defeats in its fight against the South American members of NATO, enough so that Chilean forces had made it past the Brazil-Argentinean border by April 1941, when the launch by US forces of Operation Sea Breeze dealt the final blow.
With all but 3 Brazilian divisions engaged on the country’s western front, there was little opposition met by the 50,000 US soldiers who landed all along the coast around Sao Paulo. In seven days, the American Expedition to Brazil had captured the city, annihilated the Brazilian 12th Infantry Division, and made good progress toward the seat of government in Rio de Janeiro. Twelve days later, on April 19th 1941, with US troops entering the capital and the western front collapsing as news of the invasion spread to Brazilian combat divisions, the Brazil became the first Axis member to surrender unconditionally, as per the demands set by President McCahill and Prime Minister Churchill in a declaration on January 21st of that year.
The surrender of Brazil meant that forces tied up in South America were now free to bring their weight to bear against the more dangerous members of the Axis, most importantly in the ongoing battle for the Solomons and New Britain. In light of the certain reinforcement of the Marines by South American forces, the Japanese began a withdrawal from Choiseul and Bougainville on May 1st, including New Britain in the operation later that month. By early June, NATO could confidently declare that it had won its first land victory against the Empire of Japan.

newbritain.jpg

3. An abandoned Japanese position on New Britain.​

Encouraged by the victories in Southern Hemisphere, McCahill finally gave the go-ahead for Operation Yo-Yo, a mass reinforcement of strained British and “Free French” forces in North Africa by 200,000 American soldiers. For the beleaguered British, engaged for two years in a long desert campaign where Italian incompetence and Anglo-German lack of supplies and men had kept both sides from gaining the upper hand, Operation Yo-Yo was a godsend. Between the arrival of US troops in September 1941, and the German troop surge in December [3], NATO forces in North Africa advanced from the outskirts of Benghazi to Gabes in Southern Tunisia. This final 1941 victory acted to convince NATO that victory was not only inevitable, but coming soon. The horrific bloodshed that the world experienced in the next year of the Second World War however, shattered any such naïve hopes.

[1] – It was after the sound defeat in 1941, which saw Progressive representation in Congress drop from 212 House seats and 47 Senate seats to 97 House and 12 Senate seats, that Sullivan finally announced his withdrawal from politics, leaving the Progressives with no clear leader at a time of crisis.

[2] – Most of the opposition to FBA41 came from Senators and Representatives opposed to the Federal Reserve guarantee to provide the initial capital buffers of banks that did not have them upon the passage of FBA41.

[3] – The troop surge also gave American troops their first experience fighting General Erwin Rommel.

---------------------------

Exceptional Situation(s):

None really.

Last edited:
((NO! PROGRESSIVE TAX! :( ))

Our boys have proven their worth in battle time and again; today Brazil, tomorrow Berlin! Japan on the run, several successful battles in Africa, and our hemisphere secured, I hope we can keep this up and have this war over soon...

On the home front, I can only say this; I had hoped my fellow Republicans would show a little spine regarding taxation and regulation. Unity is wonderful, but the abandonment of our ideals for it to happen is truly worrisome.

Fascism has been destroyed in South America, now its time to strike the heart of the evil fascists! Then, our troops overseas can come home with their head held high and a fascists free world... May peace rule our world with the creation of a United Nations organization.

I am more than happy for my country, but due to the recent victories, the students of the USA, filled with the patriot spirit, are leaving their scolarships behind and joining the army,I, in this circumstances have to ask help from Mr.McCahill and Mr.Jarvis
I present the next bill:
- No student down the age ot 21 may join the Miltary in any form
- Educational money interests will be raised by 5%
- At least 50% of the young soldiers (see point 1) must return to their homeland and continue their studies
Let us not forget that our future is in the hands of the young, and the best way to ensure that is by having an excellent education

Last edited:
I am more than happy for my country, but due to the recent victories, the students of the USA, filled with the patriot spirit, are leaving their scolarships behind and joining the army,I, in this circumstances have to ask help from Mr.McCahill and Mr.Jarvis
I present the next bill:
- At least 50% of the young soldiers (see point 1) must return to their homeland and continue their studies
Let us not forget that our future is in the hands of the young, and the best way to ensure that is by having an excellent education

I don't think this would be a good policy in war time. Perhaps instead the Government should economically support veterans who want to continue their studies after the war. I think it's important that we start to discuss how to reintegrate our soldiers back into civilian society.

I present the next bill:

I agree with Mr. Nightmore, in that we cannot exempt healthy young men from service to his country, or we might completely lose our war effort we have work so hard on. We must destroy Fascism.

Miss Blancharde and Mister Nightmore have you noticed that Fascism is destroyed already, let our allies fight for us, we did our part, now its their turn to win, anyways, my proposition stands still

While I do agree in the importance of education, as is evidenced in my desire to reform the attempt with the creation of a national curriculum and a schools inspectorate, I am also of the belief that we cannot do anything at this time which may have a negative impact of the war effort. For this reason, I propose the following bill, in line with the Secretary of State's suggestion:

The Veteran Act, 1942

I. All citizens of the United States of America who gave served in the armed forced, including those who were conscripted, for more than 3 months since 1939 shall receive no less than 30% of their final weekly salary each week.
II. This pension may be extended to up to 50% in cases of extreme bravery, long service and other distinguishing feature in line with guidelines to be set by the Department for Defense.
III. Additional benefits are to be provided for those with disabilities gained during wartime with limit their possible future employment. (These will be in addition to any other disability allowances and will be regulated by the Department for Labor and Public Works.)
IV. Families of those killed in action shall be awarded 50% of their final weekly salary each week, until the dead soldier would have reached pensionable age.
V. Medical insurance shall be provided for all recieving an army pension.
VI. Educational grants shall be given to those recieving an army pension with a place at an American University to cover tuition fees.
VII. The Veterans Associations shall be incorporated into and funded by the Department of Defense.

Last edited:
(( How do i make my bill voteable?))

I don't think this would be a good policy in war time. Perhaps instead the Government should economically support veterans who want to continue their studies after the war. I think it's important that we start to discuss how to reintegrate our soldiers back into civilian society.

I quite agree with the comments of Mr Nightmore.

((BBB will put it up to vote along with any other bills.))

I would like to officially support The Veteran Act, 1942.

--------------------------------------------------------

I, Christina J. Blancharde would like to send out invitations to all of my fellow politicians, for my wedding to William Fredrick. Yes, I am getting married in a couple of months and would like to invite all politicians in Washington to my extravagant wedding.

G3432_photo25.jpg

Christina and her fiance William Fredrick.

I am... wary of this bill; while I see many merits, especially in assuring that widows will receive benefits, and supporting education for our soldiers, that the government would now go more into the business of providing healthcare for individuals is most worrisome; furthermore, I believe this bill needs to be better defined. Will the 50% pay for the families continue for all time, for a standard amount, or for the length of the soldiers service? Where will the funds for this healthcare and education support come from? Will we be forced to raise taxes, as we are set to do in 1947? Or are going to reduce Research and Development, or possibly other social programmes? How will the government ensure that these soldiers are employed, especially as the war draws down, and the need for certain jobs disappear entirely?

Indeed, this seems to be little more than a vast expansion of government, sugar-coated as a means to aid our soldiers, which no honourable person could dare oppose! The Departments of Labour, Public Works, and Defence will all have to expand drastically to oversee these new roles properly; that., combined with the obvious expansion of spending from the other portions of the bill, would likely strain our economy, especially with a tax increase (which would obviously harm the poorest members of our society, and help stagnate business growth) on the horizon. To simultaneously increase taxes and spending is simply an unwise move, especially since our economy is still not fully recovered (this war has created no real growth, and if we are not careful, we will experience another recession once the war economy is drawn-down).

In other news, I will be glad to attend the Congresswoman's wedding, if my schedule permits.

To Mr Jarvis:
The 50% will remain until war ends, we may reduce a social program, no, they will have their post-war jobs if not then i will personally find them employement, taxes are going to be a little raised, anyways, I will be more then happy to attend Miss Blancharde's wedding may you live happy with you're new husband, i hope that will not affect your politics.

May I join this AAR? I have read up to the end of the civil war and have also read the summeries of the AAR and I have greatly enjoyed it.

((We'd love to have you, if you'll have us! :D ))

Name: Vitaly Romanov
Born: 1910
Occuapation: Commander in the US Navy
Political Allignment: Undecided
Bio: Son of a brother of the Russian Czar. Vitaly's father made the mastake of crossing the Czar. Fortuantly his father and his then pregnate mother where able to excape to Hawii where Vitaly was born. His parents were later kild by Bloshvik agents, but Vitaly and his younger sister where saved by a captain in the US Navy. When he became old enough Vitaly became an officer in the US navy, and here he is today.