• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ProxyCell

First Lieutenant
123 Badges
May 12, 2010
www.iruberleet.org
  • Penumbra - Black Plague
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • King Arthur II
  • Legio
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • For the Motherland
  • Pirates of Black Cove
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Deus Vult
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • Ancient Space
  • East India Company
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
I was looking at the continent borders for the game and noticed that the entirety of the Anatolian Peninsula (Turkey/Ottoman Empire) is European.

Is there a reason for this to handle balance/missions/events? Maybe I should just start changing the borders of continents and watch what happens...

In the game it's important what continent a country's capital is on. If Anatolia was considered part of Asia as is traditional in reality, the Ottomans would have trouble switching their capital around between there and Constantinople.

Same reason Turks and Arabs are considered part of the same culture group or why Hungarian culture is present in places it shouldn't. So the game works better.

Well , they move it by decision , not a normal move so it's not relevant.
Being in Europe allow them to have some modifiers , like east india company.

It was considered part of Europe back then...
And it helps balance as well

I believe even North Africa could be added to Europe, if you take into consideration historical reasons and balance.

It was considered part of Europe back then...
And it helps balance as well

I believe even North Africa could be added to Europe, if you take into consideration historical reasons and balance.

The thing with North Africa is that Castille would be even MORE inclined to splatter yellow all over the region if it were "in Europe."

If the Ottoman capital is in Europe they'll prioritize Europe, if it is in Asia they'll prioritize Asia. As simple as that :)
Them being in Europe does mean more crusades, etc targeting them in my experience as well, but as they hold much of Greece, Bulgaria, etc as the game starts that cannot be helped anyway.

I don't think I've seen Anatolia (Asia Minor) being referred to as European much but for what it's worth the concept of European or the continent of Europe was arguably mostly academical at the time. Near the end of the game the concept of "The Near East" was somewhat popular in regards to Anatolia, but that only refers to all lands controlled by the Ottoman Empire (and so often included south eastern Europe).
When trying to promote a sameness with the rest of the European monarchs it was much more common to refer to "Christendom" than to "Europe" before at least the 18th century anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions:
In the game it's important what continent a country's capital is on. If Anatolia was considered part of Asia as is traditional in reality, the Ottomans would have trouble switching their capital around between there and Constantinople.
It happens to be the case that the Ottoman capital at the start of the game is Edirne, which is the province west of Thrace and therefore definitely in Europe.