• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Corsair

Recruit
9 Badges
Feb 14, 2001
Visit site
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Majesty 2
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • 500k Club
  • Pride of Nations
I've played the GC several times, and invariably Spain ends up with waaaaay more victory points than any of the other computer-controlled majors. Is there a way for a semi computer illiterate person to make some minor adjustments in the files to tone Spain down a bit. All the other majors seem to be fairly competitive - in my opinion it would be nice if Spain was not always a guaranteed winner.

You could make adjustments to the 1492 information file to reduce Spain's power in a variety of ways, but this might be more difficult than you'd like. A simpler way, if your problem is with Spanish expansion in Europe, would be to make an altered version of the leaders file having selectively removed some of the Spanish generals and admirals. Or you could change their monarchs file and give them worse stats.

However, I don't think the problem is really with Spain doing too well (although this may have changed with latest patch), but with them acquiring more victory points than they deserve. I don't know of any way to change this, but then again it really doesn't matter as victory points are essentially meaningless, IMHO.

You don't need to tamper with the game-files to bring Spain down. In a game I am playing now (I play The Ottoman Empire), they are on forth place behind me, France and England. Just do a lot of 'Anti-Spain'-stuff and you will see them diminish. Get people to wage war against them, sabotage their colonies (get the native nations and colonial powers in the Americas on your side and start wars against them, burn down their trade outposts, etcetera).

Just a funny thing I wanted to mention in the game I am playing at the moment: Algeria controls Krakow ;).

i agree

you are playing badly if you let spain win ;-)!

just attack it and beat it a few times

cheers

Originally posted by DubCat:
You don't need to tamper with the game-files to bring Spain down. In a game I am playing now (I play The Ottoman Empire), they are on forth place behind me, France and England. Just do a lot of 'Anti-Spain'-stuff and you will see them diminish.

In my current game as England, Spain is not even listed in the overall VP list anymore. I had done nothing to help their demise along. Except that I got English hands on the Aztecs early in the 16th century. This seemed to throw the Spaniards into total confusion.

After the war against the Aztecs, England had stayed out of all trouble until 1700 (at which point I had grand total in military points of 4, i.e. 0 for battles, and 4 for annexing the Aztecs) , so it was not the human player that caused the Spanish plight.

In 1784, Spain is behind Nubia (!) who are the last listed country with just below 2000 VP in total (England by now has 14000).

/zwingli

playing portugal i´m bashing big brother spain and conquering almost any of their european porvinces, well on hard/agressive only......
spain and portugal were allies for more then hundred years, but i did well colonizing india, as well as south africa and large parts of america including the aztec empire.
this helped a lot for sieging on the spanish main as well as fighting some major wars against china and india.
the treasure fleets pays much more than needed to bring down the other major powers except for trukey and russia which is now my ally. england is reduced to london and australia, austria owns a total of 4 provinces which will be conquered in the next war. polen is crushed by russia. france still is a mighty colonial power but lost almost all her european provinces to portugal and the netherlands which grew to the 2nd strongest power in middle europe - after portugal o.c.

------------------
http://www.multispieler.de

weird god, proud chief of EUROPA

Originally posted by Corsair:
I've played the GC several times, and invariably Spain ends up with waaaaay more victory points than any of the other computer-controlled majors. Is there a way for a semi computer illiterate person to make some minor adjustments in the files to tone Spain down a bit. All the other majors seem to be fairly competitive - in my opinion it would be nice if Spain was not always a guaranteed winner.

You'll have to modify the .inc file of the game and reduce the initial values for spain.

After some cheat-games , you'll find it too much easy and you'll get bored as surely did
Daztek.
It's better to think how defeat by diplomatie or war a challenging enemy that cheating in order to win a easy game.