• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

lemmy101

Second Lieutenant
88 Badges
Apr 15, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Age of Wonders II
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Heir to the Throne
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
What I would love to see is for the 'no lands = game over' mechanic to be removed, and a whole bunch of events / plots / decisions / ambitions being added to give enough gameplay to non-landed roles that it's possible to play as a courtier and try and become a landed dynasty. Or a baron/mayor for that matter.

This came from a conversation with my mate that feels you should be able to start as a custom dynasty, and I said I felt that giving lands to a non-historic dynasty would fly in the face of the historically accurate start dates.

How much UI modding is possible in Paradox games? Would be cool, though I'm not sure / doubtful if it's possible, to be able to start as an unlanded courtier in any county, and type your own dynasty name in. You'd have a whole bunch of events associated with the various jobs, chancellor, spymaster and such to keep the player busy (having to make decisions in events relating to your assassination missions as spy master, or trying to fabricate claims as chancellor), and other events / decisions relating to every day courtier life, effectively being Blackadder in Blackadder the Second, trying to curry favour with the ruler and engineer the situation where they could rise in status, in the meantime they would still be getting married, raising children and keeping their dynasty alive all the while trying to get a count, duke or king to give them a landed title.

Obviously this could only go so far as a mod, I guess beyond making events / plots / characters and other things I've spied in the data files I don't have much knowledge as to the moddability of the engine. I know the game uses lua but how much, if any, is exposed to modders? I've not seen any game mechanic code anywhere and it seems to mainly be data.

Last edited:
I wish it meant I had the release version of the game. ;D

I did a preview for CKII and I preordered CKII, so I had a forum code on GG to type in here. Tbh I assumed anyone who'd preordered CKII would have it, if not then must be because of that. Means nothing though. I'm watching LPs of the beta on CKII and seeing all the changes from the version I played and getting jealous. Roll on 14th :(

He probably got a preview copy.

Anyway, a nice idea. However, I'm not sure it will be possible to implement.

Could be excellent if you could implement it. A game within a game until you reach level of count.

I wish it meant I had the release version of the game. ;D

I did a preview for CKII and I preordered CKII, so I had a forum code on GG to type in here. Tbh I assumed anyone who'd preordered CKII would have it, if not then must be because of that. Means nothing though. I'm watching LPs of the beta on CKII and seeing all the changes from the version I played and getting jealous. Roll on 14th :(

GG doesn't have codes up for me and others, thought it looks like they are setting it up to release them as it says "Unused serial keys" next to the game name. Still, it's cool being able to see them on your posts :)

What I would love to see is for the 'no lands = game over' mechanic to be removed, and a whole bunch of events / plots / decisions / ambitions being added to give enough gameplay to non-landed roles that it's possible to play as a courtier and try and become a landed dynasty. Or a baron/mayor for that matter.

This came from a conversation with my mate that feels you should be able to start as a custom dynasty, and I said I felt that giving lands to a non-historic dynasty would fly in the face of the historically accurate start dates.

How much UI modding is possible in Paradox games? Would be cool, though I'm not sure / doubtful if it's possible, to be able to start as an unlanded courtier in any county, and type your own dynasty name in. You'd have a whole bunch of events associated with the various jobs, chancellor, spymaster and such to keep the player busy (having to make decisions in events relating to your assassination missions as spy master, or trying to fabricate claims as chancellor), and other events / decisions relating to every day courtier life, effectively being Blackadder in Blackadder the Second, trying to curry favour with the ruler and engineer the situation where they could rise in status, in the meantime they would still be getting married, raising children and keeping their dynasty alive all the while trying to get a count, duke or king to give them a landed title.

Obviously this could only go so far as a mod, I guess beyond making events / plots / characters and other things I've spied in the data files I don't have much knowledge as to the moddability of the engine. I know the game uses lua but how much, if any, is exposed to modders? I've not seen any game mechanic code anywhere and it seems to mainly be data.

If could pull off you can play as Norman knight fight for Sicily or Eastern Roman Empire, hell knighthood could mean somthing are character could be come grandmaster to order

Love this ideea! Suport it to 110%

Paradox hear me! We whant a dlc/expansion that adds events and things to do while playing a courtier or Baron etc. and obviusly make it so you can play without atlest a count title.

Also we whant to be able to create custom dynasties for ourselfes.

Now make it so! in a few months or tops a year lol :)

This is a great idea.

In crusader Kings i totally plan to never reload and take my family through the whole time period in good times and bad.

It would be great to have a story of losing your duchy, but instead of dieing you go to another court and allow them to use your claim to but you back in your rightful place. From there you plot the demise of the usurpers. I hope they will fully consider this for and expansion.

i think you can play as a baron, just like you can be a muslim or pagan, but only if you end up that way through normal gameplay. i might be wrong but a barony is still a landed title and some can be very powerful

i think you can play as a baron, just like you can be a muslim or pagan, but only if you end up that way through normal gameplay. i might be wrong but a barony is still a landed title and some can be very powerful

I think I heard the contrary "that you gett end game" if you dont control a county or higher(cant remember where tho). But I hope that you are right!

baronies where created to add some gameplay to counts that lacked some in ck1.
so i doubt playing those in ck2 should be very enjoyful.

It would be great to have a story of losing your duchy, but instead of dieing you go to another court and allow them to use your claim to but you back in your rightful place. From there you plot the demise of the usurpers. I hope they will fully consider this for and expansion.

*cough* A game of thrones *cough*

Wait a second, hear me out on this one.

What about playing as a mercenary leeder? (acording to "Darrigan" the guy who is writing the Napoli AAR) the mercenaries will declare war on you if you cant pay them and they will steal your land, this wold be fun to do(if actualy AI can go bankrupt from mercenaries). So if the limit to having to own a pice of land is removed then this wold probably be some fun gameplay :p