• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

prothis

Sergeant
64 Badges
Aug 18, 2005
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Pride of Nations
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Magicka 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Darkest Hour
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
This might have been asked and answered previously, if so my apologies.

Is there a mod/function/trick out there to grant vassals independence without forcing them to revolt first (and thus losing prestige, etc. by surrendering)? I inherited some duchies which are far away from my main lands, and rather than spend the time and effort keeping them in line I'd rather just grant them independence and make independent duchies out of them. A "Release from oath of allegiance"-function granting independence could be useful in this sense. Thanks!

If you give your vassals in far away lands a title that is of equal rank, they will become independent. Unfortunetly, it gets harder as your rank increases. But thre's no need for a mod to accomplish that

If you give your vassals in far away lands a title that is of equal rank, they will become independent. Unfortunetly, it gets harder as your rank increases. But thre's no need for a mod to accomplish that

True, but in this case I have only one kingdom-level title which I can't (and don't want to) give away. And even if I had two, giving one up just to get rid of those pesky far-away duchies is a bit overkill. Your proposal is good if you are playing as an independent county or duchy, when playing as a kingdom or empire it gets more difficult (or even impossible), as you said.

If available, you could find the unlanded heirs to duchy in a foreign realm, try to get them married to the rulers of your unwanted duchies, and then make sure they inherit the foreign duchies before the ones in your realm.

I miss this functionality as well.

You can console command gift it to another ruler with give_title command. Other then editing savegame, you have no other real recourse.

If you somehow come by a barony/county/duchy on the other side of the world and don't want to constantly have to hassel with the huge distant penalty and constant revolt threat, then yes I want to give that land away.
such as if you're king of Norway and Sweden ... and suddenly you inherit a one-duchy Kingdom of Portugal. It's in your best interest to give it away (preferably to a co-dynasty)

CK2+ indeed has this option, which I have ported to The Prince and the Thane...the mod I use. I posted about this in the thread of The Prince and the Thane (http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...-the-Thane&p=14240248&viewfull=1#post14240248) in case ibid816 would be interested in using it as well, provided that Wiz permission.

It's quite simple and works really well. Hopefully vanilla will get this option as well though as it's both useful and releasing a vassal from his oath does not come over as something ahistorical.

One could argue, however, that you should still get a hit in your prestige. As your land decreases and you sort-of admit that you can't or won't defend these lands.

One could argue, however, that you should still get a hit in your prestige. As your land decreases and you sort-of admit that you can't or won't defend these lands.

Good point. I think, but am not sure, that this is incorporated in this feature in CK2+. Otherwise it would be simple to add it, as it would indeed imply what you say.

Ideally it wouldn't be a simple "grant independence" decision but some events where your distant vassals let their obligations "slide" (i.e. they don't remit taxes and appoint officials without consulting you) and you ignore it. Once the current title holder dies, his son doesn't bother to show up at your court to pledge his fealty (thus becoming independent). Or the other way around, your king dies and the distant vassal doesn't bother to come swear fealty to your heir.

You could again choose to do something about it, i.e. force him to swear fealty, or ignore this too (at a cost in prestige) and let them be gone.

Give the land to the pope or a holy order. Easy way to get rid of unwanted vassals.
you can't transfer vassalage to other independent realms IIRC. you can only give the pope and holy orders land that you personally hold at the time of clicking the diplomacy option