• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Indeed blastpop, quite likely the price will drop, but this isn't downloadable content. That is the point of contention for me, I am not downloading anything, I am unlocking content I already downloaded. That is where this becomes an issue over which I am willing to jibber inanely on the Internet.

This is content set aside prior to the game's release, marked as, "DLC," and yet included within the game with a lock on it. It tastes foul in my books, which is the issue for me.

Indeed blastpop, quite likely the price will drop, but this isn't downloadable content. That is the point of contention for me, I am not downloading anything, I am unlocking content I already downloaded. That is where this becomes an issue over which I am willing to jibber inanely on the Internet.
LOL.

This is content set aside prior to the game's release, marked as, "DLC," and yet included within the game with a lock on it. It tastes foul in my books, which is the issue for me.

Mine as well- if the content was finished, polished, and included in the base download at release, it will piss off a portion of the userbase when pirates have content they can't even pay for yet.

Including the DLC code in a general patch prior to public release of the DLC makes sense for multi-player stability issues. But the base release? Excellent way to irritate paying customers and erode goodwill.

Personally I like the 20$ starting price and DLC updates. Bad games won't get my full 50-60$, Moderate games may only get the DLC when bundled and good games will get DLC as available. For me, so far WMA is in the update as available and paradox has a good patch/free feature update record of the 9 games I have of theirs.

There's another issue I can think of.

When Civilization 5 came out there were several civilizations in it most people never even heard about like Songhai. There were also several native Americans and Siam, I think. It was strange when you look at battle of Germans, Chinese and several civilizations with city names you can't spell. But the problem was that more prominent civilizations like Spain and Babylon were sold via DLC (or prepurchase, I'm not sure).

Still, not the end of the world. But now the make an expansion. And it contains those DLC-d civilizations. THAT is dirty.

I hope when InoCo makes an expansion and includes serpents in it they'll at least sell expansion cheaper for a dollar to somebody who already owns DLC.

Personally I like the 20$ starting price and DLC updates. Bad games won't get my full 50-60$, Moderate games may only get the DLC when bundled and good games will get DLC as available. For me, so far WMA is in the update as available and paradox has a good patch/free feature update record of the 9 games I have of theirs.

Neither of the two purchasable pieces of content for Warlock have been DLC though, they're both right there in the game.

I'll just imagine I've bought someone at Ino-co a beer with my blue coins which otherwise would have evaporated :)

Neither of the two purchasable pieces of content for Warlock have been DLC though, they're both right there in the game.

It's a lot easier for Steam to host a single version of a game for download and apply flags for unlocking DLC than to host the DLC seperately. The content was downloaded either way, but they aren't going to make things harder for themselves because some customers dislike knowing content is locked out. From a security standpoint it's worse to do it this way too, but it's again a trade off for ease of use.

But now the make an expansion. And it contains those DLC-d civilizations. THAT is dirty.

Sorry but in the civ 5 expension there will be none of the DLC nations, all nations in the expension are new ones.

Carthage, Netherlands, the Celts, and the Maya, and ahaik Austrians, plus some more, no DLC nations.

And a few days ago there was a very fair -75% action where you could buy the most of them for under 2 bucks.

And for the WMA DLC's, the first was originally the preorder bonus which was released as DLC so all can have it, and afaik the second was not purposed to be in the main game, only some of the files where already there.

The main game was sold without it so you dont own this stuff as you also dont own the game, you have a license to use it, not more.

So pls stop this nonsense, buy it or don't, thats all, no more whining about a few bucks!

As stated earlier about this particular DLC, I will get it, but I caution the developers in trying to pawn this kind of DLC off on us in the future. While the initial game was a bargain, that still does not give the developer a valid excuse to go hog wild with cheap DLC.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link, so everybody can read the civ's are new one.
I have seen it listed in the Steam store now and will preorder it for me and as a bithday present for the son of a friend who loves the game.

Now read it again. Attentively.

(Yes, it includes some prior DLC. Spain and the Mongolia were DLC already, though Mongolia was free. Back to W:MotA's DLC!)

The Koatl Warlock Stun is really nice- enough that I'm not minding their inability to compete damage wise with Magisters. However, given the end game options for Human Archers, I'm not seeing an end game application for the Archers. And the Hunters have nothing to compare to Blademaster's or Paladins of Dauros. Anyone trying out the Turtle?

I'm thinking it would be a beefy ocean clearer, but again, Temple Units eclipse it. It is cheaper than Temple Units, though.

Edit: Welp, that'll teach me to just follow the wiki link. As ghost points out, Mongolia is not in Gods & Kings.

Last edited:
There is only one DLC Civilization in God's & Kings, and that Civ (Spain) is in one of the three included scenerios in the expansion. There are no DLC civs in the main expansion, only the one in the scenerio. Mongolia is not a " new Civ" in the expansion, the Huns are.
You see I have read everything that has been released about that Civ expansion on the Civ Fanatics and Apolyton forums. Civ Fanatics having informed me of this game.

Anyone trying out the Turtle?

I'm thinking it would be a beefy ocean clearer, but again, Temple Units eclipse it. It is cheaper than Temple Units, though.

It is exactly that. Unstoppable ocean clearer, and amphibious, so you can take the fight to the land as well. It is actually quite 'relevant' in a lot of scenarios, as the hard bit is getting a toehold on a new continent.

Yes, that is correct. Both are great mages using monsters.

Apologies if this is a stupid question but I wanted to check... If I select Malixalxochi as my mage, should I be getting the exact same starting units as the Rat people? Because that is what i'm getting.
You are starting as a leader of the monster faction. All Great mages have to be one of the 3 major races and using the customise feature you can add the Koatl troops to any mage. That is good because your Koatl units will get the perks from smithy, barracks etc if you build those in your first city, which is probably a good unit building strategy.

If you look closely you'll see that your monster starting units already have +15 melee and +15 missile resistance from the Koatl Training, so they're not exactly the same as the Rat people. All your units will get this bonus, not just the Koatl ones and it's a powerful perk, especially early in the game. Monster units are usually very vulnerable to missile fire so that will help to make them tougher.